Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 01-02-2008, 09:30 PM   #41
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
Both shouldn't have been made ^^

However, Hollywood is a business and when it comes down to it.

War of the Worlds:
$ 234,277,056 total gross

I Am Legend:
$ 77,211,321 opening weekend gross
after three weeks, I Am Legend is up to
$205,090,000

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2008, 09:43 PM   #42
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

It's not that great.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:51 PM   #43
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
It's not that great.
I don't think anyone here (or anyone else) is saying that it is.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:36 PM   #44
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

the first 30 minutes are great though

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:21 AM   #45
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
the first 30 minutes are great though
I agree. The first half of the movie I think is really good. The movie falls apart after he meets the girl and the kid.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:46 AM   #46
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
I don't think anyone here (or anyone else) is saying that it is.
I was referring to the post above--the money.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:55 AM   #47
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
I was referring to the post above--the money.
Ah true, but the sad fact is worse films have made more money. It's not necessarily good films that make the gazillions. Just the big ones.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:23 AM   #48
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

the movie was weak, IMO.

I guess I was expecting more of a Independence Day / 30 Days of Night crossover thriller that only a Will Smith/Denzel Washington can pull off. Didn't get it though.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:09 AM   #49
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

I really liked the movie. Since no one else has jumped on it, though,I'll go ahead and say that the changes they made significantly weakened the story. I'd only read a graphic novel version, but it was considerably more complex and the main character was much more interesting. The ending of the movie was just mush. Just by changing that, they changed the meaning of the whole film, and took out what was really the only thing that separated this story from those million other Zombie flicks.

This movie was better than Omega Man, though (Thank you, living in the future!) and Will Smith was about on par with Charleton Heston for coolness
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:37 PM   #50
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

I will say after watching this movie for a second time, it seemed better. It was better than about half the movies that came out between may-july.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:42 PM   #51
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

I did watch it twice........ I should have paid more attention the 2nd time I guess, but I fell asleep instead. I'm sure I didn't miss out on a whole lot.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:49 PM   #52
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
I really liked the movie. Since no one else has jumped on it, though,I'll go ahead and say that the changes they made significantly weakened the story. I'd only read a graphic novel version, but it was considerably more complex and the main character was much more interesting. The ending of the movie was just mush. Just by changing that, they changed the meaning of the whole film, and took out what was really the only thing that separated this story from those million other Zombie flicks.

This movie was better than Omega Man, though (Thank you, living in the future!) and Will Smith was about on par with Charleton Heston for coolness
would you mind sharing some of the stuff that was different in the book?
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:32 PM   #53
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX
would you mind sharing some of the stuff that was different in the book?

>>>>>BOOK SPOILER ALERT!!!<<<<<

The main character was a drunk, apathetic English chap who went around during the day killing vampires while they slept... (and he didn't create the virus...)

What he didn't know was that there were 2 types of vampires:

1) complete vampires (the nasty blood-suckers who hunted humans at night...)
2) the "still living" (a half-infected group of people who held the disease at bay...)

The still living had pale skin and an aversion to sunlight, but didn't crave human blood... Like vampires, they also slept during the day...

Our hero couldn't tell the difference between the vampires & the still living, so he killed them all the same...

Eventually, the still living sent a girl named Ruth to talk to Neville, but he knocks her out & tests her blood, only to discover she's infected... After she wakes up, she explains how her people view him as a monster, wins over his trust, then knocks him out with a mallet & escapes...

A few months later, the still living capture him, then sentence him to death for his crimes... Ruth gives him some suicide pills before his execution (burned at the stake) and he reflects on how he was as much a monster to the still living as the vampires were to humans...

[in the end, Neville is Legend because he terrorized the still living in their sleep, just like our current legends of vampires who terrorize humans in their sleep...]

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 01-17-2008 at 01:40 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:16 PM   #54
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
>>>>>BOOK SPOILER ALERT!!!<<<<<

The main character was a drunk, apathetic English chap who went around during the day killing vampires while they slept... (and he didn't create the virus...)

>>>>>MORE SPOILERS ALERT!!!<<<<<

I didn't think he created the virus in the movie, either. That british chic did, right?

In the book (graphic novel, at least), the "still living" vampires were a mutation on the virus. There was considerable amount of time spent with Neville exploring the legend aspect of the vampires v. the biological, virus aspect. There had been a debate while the world was falling apart about whether it was just some disease or if people were really turning into vampires. Much of the vampire lore, he figured out, was superstition on the part of vampires. Only vampires who had been Christian were affected by crosses, for instance. Those that had been Jewish might be afraid of the Torah. The book explored well this tension between the power of our physical nature v. the power of legend. In the end, he had figured his way through much of the physical aspect of the disease, but had himself become a dangerous legend. Some other differences:

He wasn't a scientist before the outbreak; he learned what he could from libraries afterward.
His wife and child didn't die conveniently while escaping in a helicopter (man that was weak). They got infected and he had to kill them.
Neville spent a lot more time in the book mulling over his own dark-side (drunkenness, lusting, wondering why he didn't just kill himself), and had to get over these in order to be productive. He always viewed the vampire killing as a virtue, though (or at least a matter of practicality).
The vampires knew where he lived, and surrounded his house every night.
The main vampire dude was an old car-pool buddy of his, and stood outside his house every night calling for him to come out. Neville really wanted to kill that guy.
He found the dog during the story, and had to teach it to trust him.

Plus, there was a cool scene in the book (that was also in Omega Man) in which the zombies/vampires get into Neville's house and do a lot of damage. He had to fight his way through them and reestablish his safety zone. After, he thinks all is lost, but realizes that they were too dumb to destroy the generators, and is able to regain motivation in daily survival. In all, the book made for a pretty cool metaphor for how we sometimes find our way through right and wrong in life. The movie was just too simplified to get at stuff like that.

Last edited by Usually Lurkin; 01-17-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:53 PM   #55
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Underdog, i owe you some more rep.

thanks fellas for the insight. That story sounds crazy, its funny how hollywood makes these movies that are nothing like the books they are based on.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:22 AM   #56
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

That scene where he had to kill Sam the dog made me want to burst out crying. Aww...

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:36 AM   #57
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
I didn't think he created the virus in the movie, either. That british chic did, right?
I dunno - never saw the movie... I just gathered the plot from reading forums & decided it was nothing like the book, so I took a pass... Plus, I just can't get jiggy with Will Smith (he's the same guy to me whether it's Wild Wild West, Fresh Prince, or Muhammad Ali...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:11 AM   #58
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
Plus, I just can't get jiggy with Will Smith (he's the same guy to me whether it's Wild Wild West, Fresh Prince, or Muhammad Ali...)
are you a parent? That would make sense, then. You know, 'cause they just don't understand.