Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 01-23-2008, 12:09 PM   #1
thereaper

thereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to all
Default Supposed trade with Clippers that wasn't

"Dunleavy thought he had a deal with Dallas in the summer to trade Corey Maggette, eligible for free agency after this season, for guard Jason Terry. But Sterling, who has said he will not meddle in player personnel but who has always professed a desire to keep Maggette in a Clippers uniform, refused to approve the trade."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...ck=1&cset=true
thereaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

I was just about to post this.

Why oh Why did Sterling or Baylor stop this one!!!!!!

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:35 PM   #3
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

That would have been a nice pick up for you guys.
DelNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:53 PM   #4
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

No-brainer IMO.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:07 PM   #5
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

i wish i could read that article without having a la times account online...

but yeah, I would have done it.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:52 PM   #6
sbibi

sbibi is a jewel in the roughsbibi is a jewel in the roughsbibi is a jewel in the roughsbibi is a jewel in the rough

are you guys serious?? did you forget what jason terry did for us? without him, we wouldve never beat the rockets in '05... this guy is a huge shooting asset for this team.. i wouldnt give him up, especially for an inconsistent player who has an attitude problem. On top of that, we're already logged at the 2 and 3... this dallas team has everything that any team would love to have... we just need to get rid of devean george... this guy really sucks, he's slow, big for nothing, and cant shoot for shit
sbibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:46 PM   #7
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

As far as what the Mavericls NEED... they need another foward type that can slash to the rim like Maggette. Compared to Terry who is quite predominately a shooter. And now with him coming off the bench, it is messing with Stackhouse's mentality/flow I think. I think one of them needs to go.. and if we can get a new starter that is big, can slash to the rim, and defend (better than terry), increase our rebounding and get to the paint. Then yeah we should definitely go for it. I really like the idea of the lineup being:

PG - Harris
SG - Howard
SF - Maggette
PF - Dirk
C - Damp
Old 01-23-2008, 06:50 PM   #8
Robillion
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbibi
are you guys serious?? did you forget what jason terry did for us? without him, we wouldve never beat the rockets in '05... this guy is a huge shooting asset for this team.. i wouldnt give him up, especially for an inconsistent player who has an attitude problem. On top of that, we're already logged at the 2 and 3... this dallas team has everything that any team would love to have... we just need to get rid of devean george... this guy really sucks, he's slow, big for nothing, and cant shoot for shit
and nearly impossible to get rid of George with his contract stipulation... unless him and Avery get in a huge fight and we can trade him to the Suns, Spurs, Boston, or Pistons.. I dont see it happening... or maybe even Lakers now a days actually.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:52 PM   #9
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

That's depressing.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:50 PM   #10
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

This made me sick to read. I cannot believe we could have had Maggette for Terry. Oh man what a dream that would have been.

Thanks Sterling for f'ing that one up.

Not sure why Dunleavy is coming out with this right now.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:10 PM   #11
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised there aren't more posts here.

No one loves "what could've been" or "what could never be" more than dallas-mavs.com...
Old 01-23-2008, 08:36 PM   #12
Robillion
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
I'm surprised there aren't more posts here.

No one loves "what could've been" or "what could never be" more than dallas-mavs.com...
What if.. WHAT IF!.. maybe if we at dallas-mavs.com post enough replies to this thread saying how unfair the trade is for Dallas we will convince the Clippers to do the deal. .. shhh
Old 01-23-2008, 09:29 PM   #13
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFanFinley
This made me sick to read. I cannot believe we could have had Maggette for Terry. Oh man what a dream that would have been.

Thanks Sterling for f'ing that one up.

Not sure why Dunleavy is coming out with this right now.
Because they need a point guard. Maybe he is trying to put pressure on it to happen. I actually see Terry as a great fit for them, no joke.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:55 PM   #14
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

I proposed this trade some time ago here.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:14 PM   #15
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

I guess you could say that the Mavs weren't in the Corey Maggette race in the first place...

Last edited by birdsanctuary; 01-23-2008 at 10:15 PM.
birdsanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:05 PM   #16
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

T.J. Simers:
Dunleavy fires back at Sterling for ultimatum
January 23 2008

Round 2, and in addition to getting the impression that Elgin Baylor has been technically knocked aside as Clippers general manager, Mike Dunleavy came out swinging, telling Donald Sterling, you want to make a change in coaches, "Be my guest."

"It would be the biggest mistake you ever made," Dunleavy said Tuesday in response to Sterling's win-now-or-else comments made here a day earlier.

Click here to find out more!
"It's his team and he can do whatever he likes . . . but look, you can find any coach you want, bring him in here and run the situation. But I don't think they are going to do as good a job as I do. And that's period."

Dunleavy said he was "shocked" by Sterling's critical remarks, and while Sterling maintained the Clippers "absolutely" can still have a successful season and put it on Dunleavy, the coach said, "Where we are today as far as making the playoffs, nobody in their right mind would bet on that."

For most folks around here, you say Sterling isn't in his right mind, and you're not going to get much of an argument.

But Sterling sounded different Monday, blaming himself for the team's wretched history, and insisting now he will do whatever it takes to put a winner on the court.

To accomplish that, Sterling said, the coach needs to do a better job. The coach, meanwhile, said he has been sabotaged by people in the Clippers organization who have no business making basketball decisions.

"In my humble opinion," Dunleavy said, "yes, that's the situation."

He said the Clippers' present plight was predictable, and so over the summer he worked on a pair of deals the front office nixed -- contending now they would've made the team more competitive.

"You give me the budget," Dunleavy said, "and I'm going to be OK with it. I'm not asking anyone to go to the luxury tax.

"But if we gather information and put deals in place that I think benefit the team and somebody who is not in basketball operations disagrees with it, sorry, you've just taken it out of my hands."

Dunleavy thought he had a deal with Dallas in the summer to trade Corey Maggette, eligible for free agency after this season, for guard Jason Terry. But Sterling, who has said he will not meddle in player personnel but who has always professed a desire to keep Maggette in a Clippers uniform, refused to approve the trade.

Dunleavy also wanted to sign former San Antonio free-agent guard Beno Udrih, but the Clippers' bean counter, Andy Roeser, decided Udrih wasn't worth the money it would take to sign him.

Dunleavy said he thought Baylor was in agreement on both deals, but couldn't recall for sure. He suggested calling Baylor.

"We discussed those deals and Dunleavy knows that," Baylor said. "Once I knew Maggette wanted to be here and I believed we could sign Maggette [at the end of this season], I wanted to keep him here."

As for Udrih, Baylor said, "It didn't make a difference to me" whether the Clippers signed him.

Put it all together, and internally the Clippers appear to be a mess, with Dunleavy implying it would be best if everyone just got out of the way and allowed him to plot the team's future.

"We are in a great situation as long as basketball people around here make the basketball decisions," Dunleavy said. "As long as I am here, I'll take full responsibility for it, and I guarantee you everybody is going to be happy."

Dunleavy said everything was going just fine for the Clippers, which means everyone was listening to him, until he pushed Sterling into spending $55 million on a contract extension for Chris Kaman.

"I went to bat for Kaman, [Sterling] stepped up to pay the money to get him, then last year Kaman got injured early, and while he didn't have a great year, he didn't have a terrible year," Dunleavy said. "But based on that, they stopped drinking the Kool-Aid and some suggestions and some of the things that I wanted to go forward with, we didn't do."

An improved Kaman now appears worth the big money, re-enforcing Dunleavy's contention that he knows what he's doing, which puts him in direct conflict with Sterling.

Sterling invited Baylor to join the Monday interview, and then said he expected better out of Dunleavy and Baylor, or changes will be made. As part of that discussion, he says he expects Baylor to do what he can to acquire a good player before the trading deadline, a player with the potential to turn the Clippers' season around.

Dunleavy found that almost laughable. "Are we getting Kobe, Dwyane Wade or LeBron James? I would agree with that, but even with those guys right now, we'd have to go [something like] 34-10 to make the playoffs.

"I would only make deals to help our future -- anything else is suicide. Anything else and you become the New York Knicks. Now if you want to do that and take on big contracts and long-term deals to potentially hit a home run or get some kind of turnaround, that's not the direction I would go as a businessman or if I owned the team."

Sterling's directive, though, to improve the team by the trading deadline makes one wonder whether he's setting Baylor up to take the fall for this season's disastrous record. He still owes Dunleavy $17 million on a contract, and if Dunleavy is so determined to call all the shots, then why not let him?

"I don't know of any team that's going to give up a terrific player and Donald T. understands that," Baylor said, which tells me he wasn't listening when Sterling spoke. "[Dunleavy] isn't acting as GM and coach. Those jobs come with specific descriptions. He's not running the show; we operate as a team."

Dunleavy said he and Baylor agree for the most part, but spend any time around Dunleavy and without question he's moving ahead with a plan of his own. Should Baylor agree with it, great.

Baylor said he's not worried that he will be the one to be dismissed at season's end, but Sterling's comments with Baylor sitting at the other end of the room Monday were the first in memory to be directed so pointedly at Baylor.

As for Dunleavy, Baylor wouldn't say whether he agreed with Sterling's suggestion that some of the players need more coaching.

Dunleavy, though, showed no such restraint. "I totally disagree with that. I can disagree. [Sterling is] saying it, but I don't buy it. I don't think it's factual."

Dunleavy says he has respect for Sterling, and said he signed on to be coach of the team believing Sterling would do what it took to field a winner, even though others felt differently.

But he disputed Sterling's contention that injuries cannot be used as an excuse for a team now with only 12 wins.

"I'm not using injuries as an excuse," Dunleavy said before using injuries as an excuse. "But you can't put your head in the sand either. We have $30 million in players sitting in suits at each game because of injuries. Let's go into every game and let me take $20 [million] to $30 million off everybody's bench.

"I think our franchise is in great shape. There are a lot of other teams struggling in this league and they've got no hope. We don't have a chance to be good, we have a chance to be really good."

Dunleavy says he appreciates Sterling's frustration, and believes some of it might have to do with season-ticket renewals, but he says Clippers fans understand what's going on, and will have the patience to hang with the team.

"I'm not sure we're packing enough faith in our fans; I think our fans are more intelligent and sophisticated and understand," he said.

"Anybody who knows basketball, they know what we have and what we're sitting on when Brand and Shaun Livingston come back. As long as you guys don't raise ticket prices, they tell me, I'm happy and I'm on board."

Sterling still wants the Clippers to win now, and while Dunleavy said he concurs, he said, "maybe it's a flaw I have, but I never think in short terms as coach. I always think in terms if I owned this team what would I do."

As I said, at times he comes across as owner-GM-bean counter and coach.

"I've never walked away from a fair fight in my life, and I've never backed down from speaking the truth," Dunleavy said.

"I'm totally willing to be the guy on the line; just let me do it. You put the trust in me, gave me the contract, so let me do what I want to do and if it doesn't work out, it's all on me. I'm more than happy to take it, and confident we'll be successful."
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:07 PM   #17
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robillion
i wish i could read that article without having a la times account online...

Great website - http://www.bugmenot.com

Gives you passwords for various sites without having to register.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:58 AM   #18
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Man, what a deal this would have been.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:14 PM   #19
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

Dont have a user name~~
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:41 PM   #20
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i hate you ^
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:11 PM   #21
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

I think this has a chance to be brought back into the fold during the deadline. Charles was saying tonight that Dallas is the team in the West that needs to make a deal (shocker). He mentioned Kidd, though. If you could get Maggette AND Kidd, I would imagine the starting 5 is this:

Damp
Dirk
Maggette
Jones
Kidd

what are the pros/cons of that line-up vs the current one?
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:13 PM   #22
me770706

me770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the rough

uh josh howard > maggette. im not sure how well josh and maggette would be able to be on the floor at the same time
me770706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:49 AM   #23
thereaper

thereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to all
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9
I think this has a chance to be brought back into the fold during the deadline. Charles was saying tonight that Dallas is the team in the West that needs to make a deal (shocker). He mentioned Kidd, though. If you could get Maggette AND Kidd, I would imagine the starting 5 is this:

Damp
Dirk
Maggette
Jones
Kidd

what are the pros/cons of that line-up vs the current one?
I've actually heard that the Nets are trying to package BOTH Kidd and Vince Carter in a deal, so I assume that would probably take Josh/Jet or Josh/Devin to get that done. I assume you guys aren't interested in that?
thereaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:28 PM   #24
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX
i hate you ^
Are you serious?

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 01-25-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:35 PM   #25
Robillion
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereaper
I've actually heard that the Nets are trying to package BOTH Kidd and Vince Carter in a deal, so I assume that would probably take Josh/Jet or Josh/Devin to get that done. I assume you guys aren't interested in that?

hmm yeah I wasnt even going to think about trading away Harris to get kid before.. but I do like the idea of a starting 5 being

kidd
jones
carter
dirk
damp

with harris coming off the bench... yeah id like that but still wouldnt want to trade away harris.

anyways, i hope some how... some how. The Terry for Maggette deal arises once again. That would be great.

Harris
Howard
Maggette
Dirk
Damp