Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-04-2008, 09:07 PM   #121
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked_Up_Tonight
And the theme of the year... Dallas plays smallball in the 4th. It may work out tonight. But if Avery honestly thinks smallball is what is going to get the Mavs a champopionship then he has severely swing from years past.

I wonder what Diop did to get in the doghouse that Juwan frickin' Howard gets off the bench in front of him.
what? Dampier's in?
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2008, 09:07 PM   #122
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

Turkoglu has his first triple double before Dirk. Who would have thought that.

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:07 PM   #123
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah Howard has looked good in the second half. But Dirk hasn't. Man... can these two ever hit at the same time.
Howard had a bad 3rd
Old 02-04-2008, 09:10 PM   #124
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

wow. sweet shot by Damp.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:12 PM   #125
Locked_Up_Tonight
Platinum Member

Locked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to behold

Dirk with another bailout shot. He has got to be frustrated on no one gets him a decent shot. Everything he shoots it seems is because he has to create space, or he has to to get the shot.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:15 PM   #126
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Dirk with another bailout shot. He has got to be frustrated on no one gets him a decent shot. .
1:51 for JJB to change all that
Old 02-04-2008, 09:18 PM   #127
Locked_Up_Tonight
Platinum Member

Locked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to behold

Dampier played the last 5 minutes of the quarter. But the Mavs played smallball for most of it. Maybe Avery was "saving" Dampier on his fouls. But I seriously doubt it.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:19 PM   #128
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

well, that's JJB for ya. stretching out the defense, creating all that space for Jason Terry after JET waved him off to go 1 on 5 and get us a 8 point cushion. Go Point Guard.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:19 PM   #129
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Dampier played the last 5 minutes of the quarter. But the Mavs played smallball for most of it. Maybe Avery was "saving" Dampier on his fouls. But I seriously doubt it.
nope, and Bass is back now. I think in this case, the small ball is warranted, cause Damp just looked silly against Howard, and couldn't do anything offensively
Old 02-04-2008, 09:22 PM   #130
Locked_Up_Tonight
Platinum Member

Quote:
nope, and Bass is back now. I think in this case, the small ball is warranted, cause Damp just looked silly against Howard, and couldn't do anything offensively.
He is now because Avery needs free throw shooters out there.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:24 PM   #131
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Bass has 8 pts in the 4th?
Old 02-04-2008, 09:26 PM   #132
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart
Major rep for Silk calling Barea to start.
Thanks!!! Did you see George getting those minutes and also at the top of the key as a point/forward

Then my boyz Jet was back to normal coming off the bench and asked to take up a scoring role. I liked JJ tonight and he provided that spark that we needed at the PG slot. The rotation tonight was more refined and we get the results we wanted. I like George and I think he can play a major role with this team.
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:30 PM   #133
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

1 out of 3 ain't bad...

We still need Devin back in a bad way though!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:32 PM   #134
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Dirk with another bailout shot. He has got to be frustrated on no one gets him a decent shot. Everything he shoots it seems is because he has to create space, or he has to to get the shot.
Mann ur makin it sound like all he does is take bail out shots. He is missing good shots out there too...

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:36 PM   #135
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice game by coach tonight. He found a way to deal with the pressure that orlando put on jet when he had the ball, having jjb out there as well as having devean run point.

I did like seeing Devean out there, unfortunate that avery had to be reminded of him by trade talk.

What in the world is up with the doghouse that Diop is in? I guess he's going to have to talk about getting traded as well.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:41 PM   #136
Locked_Up_Tonight
Platinum Member

Quote:
Mann ur makin it sound like all he does is take bail out shots. He is missing good shots out there too...
Absolutely true. But even the "good" shots are tough because he has to create them. There was only four shots tonight in which he shot the ball that he didn't have to create. There was the jumpshot in transition from JJB in the first. There was the set play run by the team that he got the jumper from George. (He missed that one.) There was the jumper from Barea in the 3rd quarter. Then there was the "found" ball from George where he hits the jumper.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:59 PM   #137
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Mised the game, unfortunately. Just wanted to say Hello !
Old 02-05-2008, 07:39 AM   #138
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

I am not pleased by what the team showed throughout this eastern road trip. The offense continues to be a major problem. Me and Spiral have had some discussions about this in the other threads, but it seems like we are back to square one with the ball movement. There was a moment in the 2nd quarter when all we did were isos. Even the Magic tv crew pointed out that "the Mavs run a lot of isos, it's just one pass and post up on every play".

First of all, let's start with Dirk. In a recent article, dallasbasketball.com was interviewing NBA great Rick Barry. He said many interesting things throughout the interview, a lot of which I have been screaming for in the recent years. One of those was a questioning of Avery's usage of Dirk. Dirk continues to be put in some tough situations for him. If you want evidence look at the last two games. Every single touch is an iso on the left side. You can see that he was trying to be aggressive, go to the basket. But while Dirk has many athletic traits, jumping is not one of them. As a result he would often get his shot blocked.
Dirk is going to be 30 in June. At this point he is what he is. The 8step plan from Holger got him just this far. For good or for bad this is what he will always be, and we have seen a lot of good from him. You are not going to change him into Tim Duncan. It's not only impossible, it's undesirable. As Dirk focuses only on posting up, he is letting the best part of his game unused.

JET saved us tonight, with a 4th quarter showing that reminded me of a lot of old games. He was stroking it from everywhere, and we need that. But his weaknesses were also in display. I try not to criticize Jet for everything that's wrong with the team, as some fans have fallen into the habit of doing but I can't keep myself. His defense was attrocious. Dooling was going off on us, only when Van Gundy took him out Jet settled down a bit.
He never attacked the basket. He ran the pick and roll really miserably, never giving Dirk one good shot. It was a replay of the GS series, when even in the cases Dirk had deep position our PGs couldn't make one entry pass to him and Dirk had to receive the ball 20 feet away with 8sec left. That's not a pro offense, that's streetball.

Avery doesn't seem to know what he is doing with the rotations. Sorry but it's way beyond the 2nd half and we should be over with the experimenting. And it's not like the main guns are getting any rest either. Dirk and JHo have played around 40 minutes a game lately. That's not really "pacing yourself" is it? Yet one game George plays, the other Hassell does. Diop is in the doghouse for a reason no one can explain!!

And now his newest invention is Smallball lineup with Dirk and Bass at the 4 and 5. Too me it's just stupid, there is no real shotblocker in there, Bass is not gonna post up guys like D.Howard. I think the reason why Avery is doing it, is because it's the only way he can put a team with 5 scorers on the floor. It's the only way for us to be effective on offense, because Avery clearely will not scheme around it. To me it's as if he is raising a white flag on that one. We'll see how this goes, I don't have a good feeling though.
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote