Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 02-05-2008, 12:44 AM   #1
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all
Exclamation Lets Play GM: Chicago and Dallas

Will somebody please figure out how the Mavs can add Ben Gordon or some other helpful pieces from this talent laden team....

Mavs Untouchables: Harris & Dirk
Make as few changes to the Dallas lineup as possible

Lets see who can come up with the most reasonable trade between Dallas and Chicago?
Old 02-05-2008, 08:45 AM   #2
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

IMO,
Ben Gordon is the equivalent of Jason Terry. (shooters with little D)
Tyrus Thomas is the equivalent of Brandon Bass (6-8 backup PF's)
Adrian Griffin is the equivalent of JuHoward (vet presence)

And the trade would work... I just done see it as anything more than a lateral move.

Deng is the only player I see on Chicago that I think Dallas would be interested in as a starter, and IMO Dallas wouldn't be willing to give up what it would take to get him.

Since Dallas already has Big Ben light in Diop. Dallas already has Deng upgraded in Howard. Dallas has Gordon in Terry. Dallas has Tyrus Thomas in Bass. Dallas has a better PF, Dallas DH is a quicker and better defender than Hinrich (BYC)....not sure what Dallas is suppose to be going after. I guess Nocioni is good, but Dallas puts 3 vets in Jones, Hassel, George into that position, and Nocioni is on his BYC.

Chicago is Dallas without Dirk and Damp.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:13 AM   #3
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

Gordon is younger and better than Terry, so framing a deal around those two doesn't make sense for Chicago. Josh Howard is better than Gordon, plus the Bulls already have Deng so a Howard-Gordon framework doesn't make sense for either team.

The Bulls might be open to moving Gordon in a deal that also involves Ben Wallace's albatross contract going with him. But would Dallas be open to that? Especially considering that Dallas would have to turn around and give Gordon a fat contract right away since he hits free agency (restricted).

I can't see the Bulls coming out ahead in a deal for various spare parts and draft picks. And other than Ben Wallace, the Bulls don't really have any bad contracts they'd like to rid themselves of.

I just don't see any deal that makes sense for both teams.
DelNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:30 AM   #4
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelNegro
Gordon is younger and better than Terry, so framing a deal around those two doesn't make sense for Chicago. J<snip>
I just don't see any deal that makes sense for both teams.
I agree with the bottom statement, but not the top one.

Gordon is the equivalent of Terry, yes, a younger Terry, but they have basically the exact same skillset. They both play below average defense. They both are small. They both have an uncanny ability to hit shots. Both are ultimately 6th men, who come in to break zones, and shoot. Neither can really run an offense efficiently .

When Gordon cashes in and makes more money than Terry, then Terry will be a better value than him.

Check out the last 4 years worth of stats:
Gordon

04-05 CHI 82 24.4 41.1 86.3 40.5 2.6 2.0 0.7 0.1 15.1
05-06 CHI 80 31.1 42.2 78.7 43.5 2.7 3.0 0.9 0.1 16.9
06-07 CHI 82 33.0 45.5 86.4 41.3 3.1 3.6 0.8 0.2 21.4
07-08 CHI 42 35.0 42.4 92.4 39.1 3.4 2.8 0.8 0.1 19.9

Terry

04-05 DAL 80 30.0 50.1 84.4 42.0 2.4 5.4 1.4 0.2 12.4
05-06 DAL 80 35.0 47.0 80.0 41.1 2.0 3.8 1.3 0.3 17.1
06-07 DAL 81 35.2 48.4 80.4 43.8 2.9 5.2 1.0 0.2 16.7
07-08 DAL 47 31.5 46.8 84.1 41.5 2.5 3.4 1.1 0.3 15.0

Terrys FG% is higher all 4 years. Terry has better 3pt%, higher assists. He just doesn't take as many shots as Gordon because he is on a team with Dirk.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 02-05-2008, 10:46 AM   #5
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

^^^ fair points. But is Terry's FG% higher because he's better, or is it because he's on a team where he doesn't have to take as many bad shots due to the talent around him? Gordon takes bad shots, but doesn't he kind of have to? If he's not scoring the Bulls are pretty much screwed. I'd be curious to see what Terry's Atlanta numbers look like compared to Gordon's. Terry was pretty much in the same situation there that Gordon is in Chicago.

Still, even if Terry is better right now, who's going to be better 2 years from now? 4 years from now? Terry's 30, Gordon's 24. You bring up another good point about what kind of contract Gordon is going to get, but short of it being something just completely ridiculous I think the Bulls still come out ahead keeping Gordon since he's going to be the better player looking forward.
DelNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:43 PM   #6
craggmac
Golden Member

craggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud of

I would SO trade Damp for Ben Wallace strait up!
craggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:48 PM   #7
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelNegro
^^^ fair points. But is Terry's FG% higher because he's better, or is it because he's on a team where he doesn't have to take as many bad shots due to the talent around him? Gordon takes bad shots, but doesn't he kind of have to? If he's not scoring the Bulls are pretty much screwed. I'd be curious to see what Terry's Atlanta numbers look like compared to Gordon's. Terry was pretty much in the same situation there that Gordon is in Chicago.

Still, even if Terry is better right now, who's going to be better 2 years from now? 4 years from now? Terry's 30, Gordon's 24. You bring up another good point about what kind of contract Gordon is going to get, but short of it being something just completely ridiculous I think the Bulls still come out ahead keeping Gordon since he's going to be the better player looking forward.
I tend to agree with ^^^, it all depends on what Gordon gets as a FA. Right now though, I consider them to be fairly equivalent players. I don't think either team would want to do a trade with these two being the centerpiece.

I think Terry in Chicago would be pretty much doing exactly what Gordon is doing now, but for a shorter length of time ongoing.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:16 PM   #8
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

ditto what every one else has said... we should not do anything really with Chicago. Cept take a first round lotto pick from them for something heh
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote