Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-06-2008, 12:21 AM   #1
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Superstition?

Does anyone know why dirk HAS to touch the ball after every free throw, whether its a mavs free throw or the opponents free throw?

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2008, 12:50 AM   #2
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm...never noticed that. I've noticed the touch on the tip, but not on a free throw.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:24 AM   #3
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick41
Does anyone know why dirk HAS to touch the ball after every free throw, whether its a mavs free throw or the opponents free throw?

Yep, it's a superstition...

I remember someone asking that question in an interview a while back (it's in one of the threads around here, but I'm not gonna look for it...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:50 AM   #4
Pongo
Golden Member

Pongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Hmmm...never noticed that. I've noticed the touch on the tip, but not on a free throw.

How could you NOT notice that? Sometimes I'm almost scared that he might get a tech because of that... occasionally, he takes the ball out of the ref's hands only to dribble it one time and give it back to the ref immediately

He's also grabbing his jersey, right above the left shoulder. Looks like he thinks that it is too big for him.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:55 AM   #5
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Now that you mention that does job my memory. The left jersey tug is too obvious to miss. I've never heard anyone ask him about the free-throw deal to be honest, but the tip-off I have.

What I recall (which may be wrong or dirk giving us stuff) is that he just likes to touch the ball as soon as possible after tip-off.

I guess he just like to touch the ball every chance he gets.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:30 AM   #6
Pongo
Golden Member

Pongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to all

I guess that's it. The ball is his friend
Old 02-06-2008, 08:34 AM   #7
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah Dude1394, the tip-off thing bugs me, dont' know why though.
If I was an opposing player I would try to pick that off if possible.

We win the tip and they give it to Dirk for a second then he passes it back.....?

I've seen that every time I've had a chance to watch my beloved Mavs.

Last edited by dirt_dobber; 02-06-2008 at 08:35 AM.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:37 AM   #8
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

Something else I noticed...after a foul is called and one of the opposing players takes a shot at the basket, Dirk usually slaps the ball away before it gets to the rim. I think he picked that habit up from Garnett..
Old 02-06-2008, 09:26 AM   #9
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maringa
Something else I noticed...after a foul is called and one of the opposing players takes a shot at the basket, Dirk usually slaps the ball away before it gets to the rim. I think he picked that habit up from Garnett..
he'll also shoot and dunk if he's got the ball.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:27 AM   #10
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the FT thing is a superstition. Dirk's going to be on the low-block during an opponent's FT, so he's naturally going to getting the ball alot after the first FT. I haven't noticed him taking the ball away from the ref, but I'll keep my eye out for it.

Alot of other plays also shoot the ball during dead balls, and alot of players will block dead-ball shots.

As far as the left-jersey-tug and the after-tip touch...I think its more obsessive compulsive behavior than superstition - but that's just IMO.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 02-06-2008 at 10:31 AM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:44 AM   #11
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Mary for the most part. It might be a tic* from habitual adjustment of his jersey for being to big on his shoulders. (yes that is run on sentence) He doesn't have a very big chest, so the jersey sags down a bit. IMO
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:54 AM   #12
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk will make great effort to retrieve the ball after a FT, even if it bounces away from him.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:28 PM   #13
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan
Dirk will make great effort to retrieve the ball after a FT, even if it bounces away from him.
Yeah he goes balls out to get the ball, yanks it from the ref, chases it down etc...

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:32 PM   #14
vinylstar

vinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud of

actually he only actively does it on opponent free throws....not so much mavs FTs. Although ideally all NBA balls would be physically the same, but they are not. He's just trying to feel out the nuiances of that particular ball probably...
vinylstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:41 PM   #15
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylstar
Although ideally all NBA balls would be physically the same, but they are not. He's just trying to feel out the nuiances of that particular ball probably...
That sounds really bad - like he's checking for cancer or something...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote