Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-23-2002, 05:16 PM   #1
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

Can we say ... oh hell yah.

Free agent Lewis to meet with Mavs
07/24/2002

By MARC STEIN / The Dallas Morning News

Houston native Rashard Lewis, frustrated in his attempts to secure a lucrative long-term contract from the Seattle SuperSonics, has agreed to visit Dallas on Thursday to tour the Mavericks' facilities and meet with owner Mark Cuban.

Lewis, the most celebrated unrestricted free agent on the market this summer, is seeking a six-year deal in the $80-90 million range from the Sonics. With Seattle believed to be offering no more than $50-55 million, Lewis has commeneced negotiations with the Mavericks.

That's even though Cuban, whose payroll already sits well over the league's new $40.3 million salary cap, can't offer anything more lucrative than a three-year, $15 million package.

The Mavericks are encouraging fans to greet Lewis at D-FW Airport when he lands from Houston on Thursday. Lewis is scheduled to arrive at 11:48 a.m. on American Airlines flight 1058.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2002, 05:22 PM   #2
Dirk77
Banned

Dirk77 is on a distinguished road

cool!
Dirk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 05:22 PM   #3
dallmav

dallmav is on a distinguished road

I see him visiting Dallas as more of a ploy to get more money, than it is a legitimate visit. Don't get me wrong, I hope he does sign here.
dallmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 05:36 PM   #4
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Dooby rule of dating.

If you don't ask 'em, they can't say yes.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 05:38 PM   #5
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Amen.

Clearly the Mavs are just as likely as any other over-the-cap team that would like to have Lewis, which is considerably less likely than Seattle.

But again, when you've got a situation like this one where the guy feels dissed, it's nice to be the first to really court him. You can't lose anything by it.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 05:48 PM   #6
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

Well, any other place will look like shit compared to the Mavs flacility. We have so many perks here, he will definitly like it.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 05:51 PM   #7
Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown is on a distinguished road

well, if you guys really want him here, follow cuban's advice and go out to American Airlines (not the mavs basketball stadium), bring as many buddies as you can, and cheer him on.

i got work, so i can't.
3. Heidi Klum - the source of my perspiration
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 06:07 PM   #8
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< I see him visiting Dallas as more of a ploy to get more money, than it is a legitimate visit. Don't get me wrong, I hope he does sign here. >>

Yep. Important to not get over-excited here. And also important not to get upset at Mavs management if they don't pull this off. Nice to see them trying though.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 06:54 PM   #9
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

This is crazy. This is ridiculous. Lewis can't really be coming to the Mavs, can he? If this is true, I may poop my pants.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 07:05 PM   #10
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. Important to not get over-excited here. And also important not to get upset at Mavs management if they don't pull this off. Nice to see them trying though.

Exactly.

I'm applauding the Mavs for trying, but not expecting that Lewis ends up in a Mavs uni this season.

Still, he should get a show while visiting and it doesn't hurt to show him some love for even the smallest of chances that we could lure him to Dallas.
Old 07-23-2002, 08:06 PM   #11
Base Line Guy
Golden Member

Base Line Guy is on a distinguished road

Hey Poopy Pants, going to the airport on Thursday?

BLG
Old 07-23-2002, 08:13 PM   #12
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

I would be if I wasn't already devoting almost half the workday on Friday to Austin Powers 3. My bad. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-23-2002, 08:26 PM   #13
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

UGH!!! I don't see how I can take off tomorrow morning when I've already taken the whole afternoon for appointments! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

It sure would be fun though...

hmmmmm [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-23-2002, 08:26 PM   #14
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

It's not tomorrow -- it's Thursday [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-23-2002, 08:33 PM   #15
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

If ya'll want we could all meet afterwards and grab some lunch.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 08:39 PM   #16
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Thursday??!!!! (What was I thinking?)

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-23-2002, 09:17 PM   #17
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

maybe you thought about another upcoming appointment you shouldnt miss ...? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 07-23-2002, 09:31 PM   #18
Kat

Kat is on a distinguished road

Absolutely brilliant...Cubes! He(Cubes)had the PR staff call every radio station, newspaper, media, they had on their list and then called everyone on every other list they could find about this! It just amazes me that a man can be so brilliant in marketing, but yet act like such a horses azz in respect to so many other things. Like his personal behavior.
Old 07-23-2002, 09:34 PM   #19
Smiles
Diamond Member

<< maybe you thought about another upcoming appointment you shouldnt miss ...? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] >>

do you know when that is?
Old 07-23-2002, 09:36 PM   #20
Smiles
Diamond Member

Where at DFW do they propose people greet him? We can't get past baggage claim, and he's not likely to pick up his own suitcase...

edit:

1st clue: crowd &amp; cameras[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-23-2002, 10:25 PM   #21
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

The Mavs would kick the Lakers butt if they get Rashard Lewis. Theyde be almost unstopable. Word is Rashard is going to sign with the Mavs if he likes what he sees in Dallas when he comes for a visit on thursday.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 10:52 PM   #22
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

The smart thing for him to do is sign with Mavs for the exception then come out next season were teams will have money to spend just as from what I heard KAndi man might be doing. I think people should get excited being that why would Rashard come here if he isnt even considering Mavs as one of his fav teams to go to? With this being said I think Rashard will sign with the Mavs. I may be wrong and if so Iw ont be too dissapointed well I wont be dissapointed at all at the Mavs or anyone else for that matter but atleast this makes the Mavs off season not so boring hearin rumors that a guy like Lewis could come here.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 11:03 PM   #23
DTL
Diamond Member

DTL is on a distinguished road

<< Word is Rashard is going to sign with the Mavs if he likes what he sees in Dallas when he comes for a visit on thursday. >>

hope the word is right on this. can't imagine he would find something not to like about the Mavs facilities.
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 12:06 AM   #24
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

He's probaly going to sign with the Mavs because of the facilites, Mark Cuban, and a chance to win a NBA championship. And he also wants to be in Texas because of his family.
Old 07-24-2002, 12:18 AM   #25
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Where did you hear that the scoop is he will sign in Dallas. Just curious, I would love to have him in a Mavs uni, but I am afraid it won't happen.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 12:45 AM   #26
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

It was on espn insider.
Old 07-24-2002, 02:10 AM   #27
DirkNash1341

DirkNash1341 is on a distinguished road

Wow, this is amazing. A visit might be all it takes... maybe he is coming here as a negotiating ploy, but maybe he will love it so much and see how great things are here that he will decide to stay. This is looking good, though I still don't expect him to come to Dallas. Cuban really is a genius with that airport idea. I bet that has never happened to him in Seattle.
DirkNash1341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 02:51 AM   #28
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

The only other teams that might get him away from us are Houston or Seattle. But he's pissed at seattle unless they offer him the max. And houston has too many fowards. The only other team that might show a little intrest is Chicago but they dont want to offer him the max after 3 years.
Old 07-24-2002, 03:24 AM   #29
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

I heard that Cuban and Nellie are going to sit down on a table with Rashard.
Old 07-24-2002, 03:25 AM   #30
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

It would be awsome if the mavs get him. Then they will have a good shot at BEATING La AND WINNING IT ALL.
Old 07-24-2002, 09:20 AM   #31
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

wouldn't it be possible to work a s&amp;t for him. Seattle can offer more money and trade him here, It seems like Seattle would be up to it cause if he leaves their left with just GP(and they're trying to get him gone too)
I don't know if it's possible though
??????
Old 07-24-2002, 11:56 AM   #32
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

The CBA states that a bird player cannot be sign and traded (and keep his bird rights), with anything less than a 3 year contract. In order for a sign and trade to be done, Seattle would need to sign him for a three year deal, and then trade him with equal salaries coming in the first year.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 02:47 PM   #33
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

<< Where did you hear that the scoop is he will sign in Dallas. Just curious, I would love to have him in a Mavs uni, but I am afraid it won't happen.

It was on espn insider.
>>

Beware of this. It has been rare to none that anything the Insider reports is actual truth.