Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-26-2008, 09:17 PM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pretty good post on dmnblog by Tim MacMahon

Surprisingly good post from the dmnblog.
http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archi...from-kidd.html

Quote:
February 26, 2008
Which Mavs have benefited most from Kidd?
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

David "Cosby Sweater" Moore's fine column about Jason Terry and Jerry Stackhouse got me thinking about which Mavs have most benefited from the addition of Jason Kidd. My list consists of four players:

1. Dirk -- He's averaged 29 points per game on 61-percent shooting and led the league in smiles since Kidd's arrival. The reigning MVP no longer has the weight of the franchise on his shoulders. The result has been a more aggressive, assertive superstar.

2. Erick Dampier -- Kidd gets Damp easy baskets and keeps him involved in the offense, despite the big man's set of hands that tend to turn assists into turnovers. The occasional clank is worth it if it sparks the kind of passion and energy Damp has played with recently. Damp's numbers are up across the board, and his 16-rebound, seven-block performance against the Bulls was by far his best of the season.

3. Jerry Stackhouse -- No more wondering what his role is or complaining about not being able to get in a rhythm. He's the sixth man, for sure. Stack is a scorer who isn't great at creating his own shot anymore, so he loves playing with a passing wizard who gets him easy buckets in transition (those old legs can still move in limited minutes) and open looks in the halfcourt. Stack, who is getting over a nagging hamstring strain, equaled his season high with 23 points against the Bulls.

4. Jason Terry -- Like Stack, he has a set role now, starting alongside Kidd. And he'll get even more easy buckets on the break and open looks in halfcourt sets. Jet has averaged 16.8 ppg on 51-percent shooting with Kidd.

Surprisingly, the two Mavs in the rotation who have struggled since Kidd's arrival are the team's best finishers: Josh Howard and Brandon Bass. J(o)-Ho is dealing with a bad lower back and a love affair with his jumper. Bass, who gets a lot of his points off of isolation, might just need some time to figure out how to set himself up for feeds from Kidd. A couple hints: Run the floor and expect the pass on the pick-and-roll.
The addition solved our Jason Terry problem which solved other problems that he was creating. Nice...

The dirkster/damp really seem to appreciate kidd. I wonder if it's because the bigs (damp especially) are so reliant on a PG to get the ball to them. Bigs are the guys who get the bloody noses, bad backs, elbows to the kidneys, etc. to get those rebounds. Not getting to touch the ball at all because the midgets are jacking up all of the shots is bound to piss you off.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 02-26-2008 at 09:17 PM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2008, 09:25 PM   #2
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Good stuff

But I really think this shuld help some people realize How good Terry can be. He is our #2 option IMO and I think he can do a reall good job in tha role. When Harris was around...Terry didnt know what he was supposed to be and he struggled. Harris gets injured and Terry and Dirk go on a tare...Kidd gets here and they just continue that becase every1 knows where they belong

I think Jet will be huge for us in the playoffs

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:27 PM   #3
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Damp is a beast too...i think hes benefiting from this a lot...but its great seeing him play with passion, I have always liked him..even thru some of the tuff times...he works hard and does wht hes in there to do

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS

Last edited by AxdemxO; 02-26-2008 at 09:27 PM.
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:29 PM   #4
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
J(o)-Ho is dealing with a bad lower back and a love affair with his jumper.
Hahahah, nice one.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:32 PM   #5
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
The addition solved our Jason Terry problem which solved other problems that he was creating. Nice...

The dirkster/damp really seem to appreciate kidd. I wonder if it's because the bigs (damp especially) are so reliant on a PG to get the ball to them. Bigs are the guys who get the bloody noses, bad backs, elbows to the kidneys, etc. to get those rebounds. Not getting to touch the ball at all because the midgets are jacking up all of the shots is bound to piss you off.
Yep, this is spot-on. The genius of the Kidd-to-Dallas move was that it put guys in their rightful place and put us in a position to maximize production from those guys. To continue the quarterback analogy that AJ started with, it's just such a huge difference to watch a team where all the parts can flow freely and add up to something greater than their sum. The running game depends on the passing game, and vice versa. A possession receiver only looks like a contributing player when there are deep threats and there is a quarterback that can distribute the ball to everyone and keep the defense honest.

Now, one quibble I will take with the article is in its saying that Bass is one of our best finishers. How's that? I failed to notice it.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:35 PM   #6
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

It's the media...he's one of the best finishers because when there isn't anyone on him, he dunks it really hard...If he would also do a primal scream, he'd be an even BETTER finisher.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:46 PM   #7
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Now, one quibble I will take with the article is in its saying that Bass is one of our best finishers. How's that? I failed to notice it.
I was going to make this same point. Bass is about as good of a finisher as Diop.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:57 PM   #8
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxdemxO
Good stuff

But I really think this shuld help some people realize How good Terry can be. He is our #2 option IMO and I think he can do a reall good job in tha role. When Harris was around...Terry didnt know what he was supposed to be and he struggled. Harris gets injured and Terry and Dirk go on a tare...Kidd gets here and they just continue that becase every1 knows where they belong

I think Jet will be huge for us in the playoffs
I agree 100%. It is so nice to see Jet playing so well, now that he can just focus on scoring. I think what I love the most is seeing Dirk have fun out there. He is getting very aggresive out there. This is the Dirk I have been wanting to see. Right now, Dirk is unguardable no matter what. It all starts/end with Kidd.

The arena was very loud this past game, and Kidd had everyone on their feet with his play. It is an exciting brand of ball. Everyone has caught on to the passing game. If only we can get "Mr.Ball-Stopper" to join the passing party.

It is just so nice to have everyone on their feet during the game. It was like I was at a college game or something. I am jacked up over our Mavs. I am also really loving the center pick-up as well.
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:07 PM   #9
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

It is a good post~
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote