Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-02-2008, 10:02 PM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Avery's 8 man rotation

Okay...so is avery going to HONESTLY go into the playoffs with Bass as the backup center?

This was his comment when asked about Malik Allen.
Quote:
“We’ve got our eight-man rotation and we’re looking for that ninth and tenth guy, and he’s auditioning for it,” Johnson said from Hollywood, err, the Staples Center.
If magloire isn't going to be one of the rotation guys we are screwed. We'll be competitive but we won't get over the hump because we won't be big enough defensively.

If Bass is our backup center in the playoffs then cubes should seriously look to fire avery.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2008, 10:04 PM   #2
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Like I said in the other thread, Avery should be fired if he doesn't play Magloire. His lovefest for Bass and Stackhouse is covering up all the flaws in their games.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:06 PM   #3
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk, Kidd, Howard, Terry, Damp, Stackhouse, Bass... George? Who's the 8th guy that's in there instead of Magloire.. George? Jones?
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:13 PM   #4
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

As I said in the gameday thread, I'm fine with Magloire not playing today's game, but I have a feeling that he's going to be the 3rd center for the rest of the season and the playoffs.

I mean, does this really surprise anyone that much? Diop was our 3rd center before the trade.

I don't understand when Avery started caring about offense over defense at some positions, but it appears to have happened.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 03-02-2008 at 10:14 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:35 PM   #5
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
As I said in the gameday thread, I'm fine with Magloire not playing today's game, but I have a feeling that he's going to be the 3rd center for the rest of the season and the playoffs.

I mean, does this really surprise anyone that much? Diop was our 3rd center before the trade.

I don't understand when Avery started caring about offense over defense at some positions, but it appears to have happened.
For all of the statistical analysis that goes on behind closed doors in Maverickdom, you'd think somebody would be able to advise Avery of Stackhouse's utter lack of scoring efficiency. And for all of the scouting they do and tape they review, you'd think that he'd occasionally watch some tape of Stackhouse playing defense, and realize that he can't.

But hey, he dunked the ball on the break today. All is well.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:45 PM   #6
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get the interest in Bass at all. He's just flat limited. He has no business at all trying to be an interior defender. I'm afraid they're going to get punked for teh rest of the season. It looks like Johnson is locking in to a small-ball type lineup.

I don't think Avery believes in his own spiel anymore. The two-center lineup made them so much more effetive defensively over the last couple of years--decent productivity more often than not, but also allowed them to play aggressively as long as they were in there.

2 centers, 12 fouls. Ah, 'twas a thing of beauty.

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 03-02-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:52 PM   #7
vashjan

vashjan will become famous soon enoughvashjan will become famous soon enough

Avery has an ego so large, that it is getting in his way of coaching this team. Not playing Kidd with 34.5 sec. Not playing Magloire when Damp had fouled out.. just plain stupid.

everybody saw what Kobe did when Dampier when out...he went nuts, because he had no fear going into the paint...

I like Bass, but he an malik should play behind dirk and sub for Josh at times.

avery is really getting on my nerves...started when he screwed up the golden state series last year!!
Old 03-02-2008, 10:56 PM   #8
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Brandon Bass is a Cajun version of Malik Rose.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:56 PM   #9
scorched03

scorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the rough

ok lets track stack's role in the rotation forthe last several games. keep in mind i already stated in last thread stack should only post and drive, no spot shots, so i'm not a fan of what he does at the moment.

today lakers was +6 (best on team)
sacramento was +27 (best on team) almost opposite of terry!
spurs was -6 (worst on team) not by much though cuz some control freak only played 8
bulls was +6 (tied 4th best)
wolves was -3 (only bass was worse, even scrub time everyone did better)
memphis was -3 (tied for best among nonstarters)
hornets did not play...ahh that'd account for george sucking in all his minutes
suns did not play...ahh no security blankie for avery
portland same
philly same
nets same (perhaps if he played....bleh)
memphis +15 (3rd best butr only 11minutes)
bucks nada
magic nada
pistons nada

my gosh he's hurt alot. but with the crappiness at sg for the mavs, he's best of the bunch. not absolutely terrible, but not like a kobe from today's 52 pts was..... +4! but he played almost the entire game so... i think stack should be a spark plug off the bench i.e. instant offense. if he's good keep him in, if not go to another sg

crap i shoulda done bass' +/- instead of stack. oh well

Last edited by scorched03; 03-02-2008 at 11:01 PM.
scorched03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:00 PM   #10
Movie Phone

Movie Phone will become famous soon enough

we should fire avery if kidd misses another critical free throw. right? or if dirk airballs a 3 in overtime (yes, i know he made one in regulation to send it to OT). why doesnt our solution jsut be to fire avery if anything else goes wrong? sooner or later, you have to place the blame on the players---your personnel. now do i think our personnel is good? yes. can they be great? give them the time they need and we'll be able to answer that question...

Last edited by Movie Phone; 03-02-2008 at 11:01 PM.
Movie Phone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:04 PM   #11
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

You know what's REALLY horrible is that one of the reasons (as we've seen with damp lately) that we couldn't get any inside scoring at all was because we didn't have anyone who could get them the ball to finish at the rim. I expect that diop would also be having a field day with kidd out there.

So because we don't have any inside scoring we spend all year trying to get a scoring center in bass. Okay...pretty decent....

But now with kidd, it's just not that needed, what's needed is better defense because our offense is not nearly so stale that we have to have that center scoring for us (although with kidd they would anyway).

But avery is so stuck on stupid imo, that he doesn't realize that. I expect he WON'T realize it until after the season, sort of like he understands everything after thinking about it for 3months off.

I know I'm being sort of over the top, but dang...You've got an nba guy who everyone (jason kidd included) says works his rear end off and avery doesn't play the guy because he's.....wait for it....

NOT IN SHAPE for 5 minutes or so.

Even though in just the overtime we get 4 rebounds...by dirk. Our "center" gets zippidy doo dah.. The lakers get 9.

come on man
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 03-02-2008, 11:06 PM   #12
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Phone
we should fire avery if kidd misses another critical free throw. right? or if dirk airballs a 3 in overtime (yes, i know he made one in regulation to send it to OT). why doesnt our solution jsut be to fire avery if anything else goes wrong? sooner or later, you have to place the blame on the players---your personnel. now do i think our personnel is good? yes. can they be great? give them the time they need and we'll be able to answer that question...
MoviePhone guy...We've been putting it all on the players since the last two playoff series.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:15 AM   #13
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

If this guy is serious about playing bass as a our backup center he should be fired. I'm not even waste time stating all the reasons why bass at center in the playoffs would be a disaster.

Last edited by LSMF; 03-03-2008 at 11:48 AM.
LSMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:18 AM   #14
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm more than fine with Bass as the backup to Dirk but if you're rolling with Dirk on fumes for most of the game and getting him so blow and going with JUWAN HOWARD + Bass....YIKES

Avery, just stop sounding stupid in the media. You're making it too easy for us.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:22 AM   #15
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

You can't play everybody in the playoffs. Have you ever been in the playoffs? You can't play everybody in the playoffs.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:47 AM   #16
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Bass has to lead the league in "almost had it" rebounds. He's active enough to get his hands on the ball but not tall or physical enough to bring it down.

Rebounding has been a strength of this team for the past two years. Why Avery would want to sacrifice that is beyond me.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:47 AM   #17
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
You can't play everybody in the playoffs. Have you ever been in the playoffs? You can't play everybody in the playoffs.
Then why the hell are we still trying to sign players like Magloire and Lue? I seriously can't handle the numb-nuttiness of management anymore. I believe Donnie and Avery are NOT on the same page in the player acquisition area.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:30 AM   #18
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart
Then why the hell are we still trying to sign players like Magloire and Lue? I seriously can't handle the numb-nuttiness of management anymore. I believe Donnie and Avery are NOT on the same page in the player acquisition area.
haha, good one.
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:12 AM   #19
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Okay...so is avery going to HONESTLY go into the playoffs with Bass as the backup center?

If magloire isn't going to be one of the rotation guys we are screwed. We'll be competitive but we won't get over the hump because we won't be big enough defensively.

If Bass is our backup center in the playoffs then cubes should seriously look to fire avery.
I agree.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:16 AM   #20
quiet riot act
Banned

quiet riot act is infamous around these partsquiet riot act is infamous around these partsquiet riot act is infamous around these partsquiet riot act is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vashjan
Avery has an ego so large, that it is getting in his way of coaching this team. Not playing Kidd with 34.5 sec. Not playing Magloire when Damp had fouled out.. just plain stupid.

everybody saw what Kobe did when Dampier when out...he went nuts, because he had no fear going into the paint...

I like Bass, but he an malik should play behind dirk and sub for Josh at times.

avery is really getting on my nerves...started when he screwed up the golden state series last year!!

avery's ego takes up one slot in the 8 man rotation and his ignorance takes two
quiet riot act is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:45 AM   #21
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394

I am hoping that when Avery says Malik Allen is auditioning for a rotation spot that this doesn't preclude Magloire also getting his shot at those backup minutes. He should get his audition also. It seems to me that Avery has been pretty consistent in allowing most of the new guys to get their chance.

Imo, it is great to have a set rotation but flexibility in your strategy is the mark of good coaching. It seems to me that the great coaches are able to see the game situations where an end of the bench guy (who is not typically in the rotation) can make a unique contribution. For example, I would have liked to have seen Avery give Eddie Jones a shot at stopping Kobe in the 4th quarter but I am not sure Eddie was even activated for the game. That being said there should be some constants. For example, with the addition the Lue I would like to see Antoine Wright, JJB and Juwan being the three who are on the inactive list and I mean for the duration of the season and playoffs!

Last edited by purplefrog; 03-03-2008 at 11:46 AM.
purplefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:53 AM   #22
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog
I am hoping that when Avery says Malik Allen is auditioning for a rotation spot that this doesn't preclude Magloire also getting his shot at those backup minutes. He should get his audition also. It seems to me that Avery has been pretty consistent in allowing most of the new guys to get their chance.

Imo, it is great to have a set rotation but flexibility in your strategy is the mark of good coaching. It seems to me that the great coaches are able to see the game situations where an end of the bench guy (who is not typically in the rotation) can make a unique contribution. For example, I would have liked to have seen Avery give Eddie Jones a shot at stopping Kobe in the 4th quarter but I am not sure Eddie was even activated for the game. That being said there should be some constants. For example, with the addition the Lue I would like to see Antoine Wright, JJB and Juwan being the three who are on the inactive list and I mean for the duration of the season and playoffs!
Eddit was in fact in a suit yesterday.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:55 AM   #23
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Dallas should go 10 deep now imo.
Dampier/Magloire
Nowitzki/Bass
Howard/George
Terry/Stackhouse
Kidd/Lue
Second unit is looking better and more capable of putting up more points.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:57 AM   #24
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

If avery doesn't play Magloire as the back up center he must still be a spur at heart because decisions like these always seem to backfire and make us lose.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #25
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

To make matters worst. Jeff Van Gundy who was calling the game yesterday pointed out a flaw regarding of all things our rebound lineup at the end of the game where Odom was at the stripe. We were down 2 I think, he had missed the first. Kobe and Bass were lined up on the right signed of the key, JVG said that, we had to change Bass out with a more experienced rebounder to put on Kobe's because of his athleticism and experience. Boom, brick, Kobe gets the board and is fouled. Game over.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #26
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma
To make matters worst. Jeff Van Gundy who was calling the game yesterday pointed out a flaw regarding of all things our rebound lineup at the end of the game where Odom was at the stripe. We were down 2 I think, he had missed the first. Kobe and Bass were lined up on the right signed of the key, JVG said that, we had to change Bass out with a more experienced rebounder to put on Kobe's because of his athleticism and experience. Boom, brick, Kobe gets the board and is fouled. Game over.
What sucks is Kobe had out-positioned Bass on a prior FT attempt that luckily went in. That was a clear warning sign.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:18 PM   #27
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW
What sucks is Kobe had out-positioned Bass on a prior FT attempt that luckily went in. That was a clear warning sign.
Avery never does anything wrong though. Those warnings signs were just media poison.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote