Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-02-2002, 05:36 PM   #81
Randall The Great

Randall The Great is on a distinguished road

3. Raef LaFrentz -- Consensus: 6 years, $60 million
Like Olowokandi, LaFrentz is still a bit of an enigma. He's a stellar shot blocker (he ranked second in the NBA last season), has a great outside touch for a big man, but his effort has always been inconsistent. In the Mavs' playoff series versus the Kings he had one stellar 24-point, 13-rebound game sandwiched in between a couple of three-point, six-rebound and a seven-point, eight-rebound stinkers. In the end, however, it's LaFrentz's size that tips the scale toward the max.

"He's even a bigger question mark than Olowokandi," one team exec said. "I just don't see the upside to LaFrentz that I do to Kandi. He's a solid shot blocker and I like the way he can pull his defender away from the basket. But he disappears for long stretches and just doesn't have the game to be a go-to guy. Don't get me wrong, someone will throw the bank at him, but he'll never have the impact to warrant the contract."

What's posted above is about as close to 100% accurate as you can get. Raef is inconsistent. There were some games where he played at a level that would warrant a contract like this, but, most of the time, he was just another guy. This could be a great deal for the Mavs (if he can become a consistent contributor), but it could also be a terrible, Juwan Howard-like contract.
Randall The Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2002, 05:44 PM   #82
Randall The Great

'A majority of one - amazing.'

Maybe on this board.

'Most of the sports writers who think Raef is overpaid think he got a $84 million contract. I will admit there is a lot of sports guys who are lazy and don't do proper research so you might be right. But the sports guys I respect (the ones who do their homework) think Raef got a fair contract.'

No they don't. Dan McDowell, knowing the contract was 7 years, $69 million, asked Cuban why he bid against himself.

'So I guess you're not a Mavs fan?'

Should've said, Mav apologist.

'Miller will get a very good contract because he's a good center in a league with very few good centers. I admit I will laugh if anyone gives a contract to Campbell.'

Would you give Miller $10 million a year? Campbell is old, but he's just a productive as Raef is.

'If Najera was a top 10 center then he would get his money - same with Wang. You are comparing apples to oranges.'

No I'm not. A good player is a good player. Bradley has probably been a top 10-15 center at points in the past. But that's because there are only a few good centers in the league. A player like Lewis is probably not in the top ten in SF, but he's still worth a lot more than Raef. Najera's a good player. I don't see why Cuban has a problem overpaying him when he was so anxious to overpay Raef.

'That's your opinion - I happen to disagree.'

Fine.
Old 08-02-2002, 05:46 PM   #83
Randall The Great

This is exactly the kind of behavior he has shown in the Newberg site and a couple others. He has very fixed opinions. Some decent, but most radical and unbending.

What kind of behavior? Not agreeing with everyone else?

Please tell me one thing I was wrong about. Rusty Greer? Rob Bell? Cordero?
Old 08-02-2002, 06:04 PM   #84
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< What's posted above is about as close to 100% accurate as you can get. Raef is inconsistent. There were some games where he played at a level that would warrant a contract like this, but, most of the time, he was just another guy. This could be a great deal for the Mavs (if he can become a consistent contributor), but it could also be a terrible, Juwan Howard-like contract. >>

And what it says is that 60 for 6 is Lafrentz's market value. Cuban tacked on one year and paid market value for 7 years instead of 6.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 06:04 PM   #85
PeterVecseyisdumb

PeterVecseyisdumb is an unknown quantity at this point

Randall, tall players usually will be overpaid. Tall players are at a premium. Do I think the mavs overpaid for raef? I think the mavs probably overpaid a little bit for raef. However, it's not like the mavs are building the team around raef. The mavs already had a great nucleus before raef got here. The mavs are trying to keep the team together. I don't have a problem with the mavs signing raef to that contract. I think raef is a solid player, right now.

Is raef a true center? No. However, raef can play center. There are hardly any centers in the nba who are solid players, so that increases raef's value. Raef is about 25 years old, about 6 foot 11, and probably will get better.
PeterVecseyisdumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 06:08 PM   #86
PeterVecseyisdumb

PeterVecseyisdumb is an unknown quantity at this point

Randall, I think Camby is comparable to Raef. However, camby is always injured. Just about every gm in the nba would rather have raef than camby, because camby is always injured.
PeterVecseyisdumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 06:45 PM   #87
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Randall- you alienated 90% of newbergs posters and they all just laugh at you now. When they aren't ignoring you that is. Please, don't bring that crap here.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 07:34 PM   #88
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

<< NBA players in general are overpaid. This year, with Raef being a restricted FA, the Mavs had the advantage. Next year, if Raef had just signed a one year contract, Raef could have signed with anyone without the Mavs being able to match. I don't know if Raef would have gotten as good a contract next year with all the FAs available but he would have been sought after. Mark may have overpaid a little but who cares.

This is all I was saying. It's obvious that we bid against ourselves. Will that have an affect on our team? Who knows? I don't think Najera would be asking for starter money if Cuban hadn't made a habit of overpaying players.

Maybe this contract will convince Lewis to sign with us. If that happens, it's a great move. But don't try to convince me that Raef's a $10 million a year center or that teams would have been lining up to give him the same contract. That just isn't true.
>>

Raef was a RESTRICTED free agent. The Mavs could offer the best contract. If the Mavs didn't resign him, there would be competition for him next year if Raef had signed for one year THIS year. The Mavs took advantage of being the only bidder. Mark may have paid a little more for the privilege, but not much. Raef pretty much got the going rate for agile, near 7 foot centers who shoot threes and block shots. More than I would have paid? For sure, but I don't think any of these guys, who get paid for playing games, are worth the money they get.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 08:08 PM   #89
Randall The Great

<< Randall- you alienated 90% of newbergs posters and they all just laugh at you now. When they aren't ignoring you that is. Please, don't bring that crap here. >>

What crap?I'd rather be right than popular. What have I been wrong about?
Old 08-02-2002, 09:09 PM   #90
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

You've made a point and it's been duely noted. Some agree, some disagree, some are in between and some don't give a tinker's damn. I think, at least in my opinion, you've stated and restated your position enough. I don't think you are going to sway anyone over to your side that isn't already on your side. I believe from here on out, any further discussion on your part will lose the support of those that agree with you on the strength of your repeated redundancy.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 10:11 PM   #91
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

<< 'A majority of one - amazing.'

Maybe on this board.
>>

And pretty much any board inhabited by educated sports fans.

<< 'Most of the sports writers who think Raef is overpaid think he got a $84 million contract. I will admit there is a lot of sports guys who are lazy and don't do proper research so you might be right. But the sports guys I respect (the ones who do their homework) think Raef got a fair contract.'

No they don't. Dan McDowell, knowing the contract was 7 years, $69 million, asked Cuban why he bid against himself.
>>

Randall, you're really getting desperate here. Dan McDowell isn't a sports writer, and he knows about as much about basketball as I do about how to perform open heart surgery.

Give up this ridiculous quest and pursue another one. The Mavs made a key acquisition, and seemingly you'd be happy about that -- that is if you are a Mavs fan. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-03-2002, 01:19 AM   #92
Drbio
Banned

I'd rather be right than popular.

The problem is that you aren't right most of the time. Just because you state your ill conceived views over and over and demand that they are accepted by the masses does not mean it's right. It's annoying as hell, but it ain't right. And for me to dig up all the times you were wrong would fill volumes and take a full time staff. When more than 90% of a forum (newberg) hates to see you, it's not the 90% that are doing something retarded.
Old 08-03-2002, 10:38 AM   #93
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

There is no doubt that Raef would have been a hot commodity in next years fafest. Signing him now for maybe a little over market value is the right thing to do. We didn't want him to go anywhere and now he will not. Letting Raef go or low-balling him would send all of the wrong signals for what cuban is trying to do. Sure he may overpay, but he also is trying to bring a franchise from basketball hell to the top rung, that means taking some risks. Look at the differences between milwaukee/seattle/clippers and the mavs. Those teams will not be in the top rung for a reason, they are not willing to invest in the assets that get it done, the players.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 11:52 AM   #94
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

<< What kind of behavior? Not agreeing with everyone else?

Please tell me one thing I was wrong about. Rusty Greer? Rob Bell? Cordero?
>>

You were wrong about the one thing that you begged for all last season...signing Chan Ho Park. Boy, that worked out well for the Rangers. Also, moving Lamb to catcher worked out well didn't it?

Yes, you are laughed at on that board, here, and anywhere else you frequent. idiot.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 04:40 PM   #95
Drbio
Banned

I forgot about the Lamb rant...good call....