Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-19-2008, 11:18 AM   #1
Bambalaz

Bambalaz is just really niceBambalaz is just really niceBambalaz is just really niceBambalaz is just really niceBambalaz is just really niceBambalaz is just really nice
Default let's just make it to the playoffs

I remember well most of you people were talking all about how insignificant the regular season would be until the mavs can proof themselves in the playoffs. That was before or when the league just got started. It has been hard to me totally to agree with that because I was way to excited about how the team would react after last years 1stround meltdown. Nowadays I'm still keen on gaining a good playoff seed, I stay up all night to watch the games of our contenders in that close wc-race. But after loses like yesterday I'm try to convince myself with a little help of your early-season debate. I say to myself, just make it to the play-offs, than show up big in the first round and amazing will happen. Despite we suck as a road team, despite the discussions on coaching and leadership, despite all the depressing losses against top-teams lately, I believe that we become the hot team, that everyone would like to avoid in the playoffs.

So why not face the lakers in the first round and let them pay back?
I´m just so excited
Bambalaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2008, 11:23 AM   #2
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

I do not agree, if this team is going to go into the playoffs to get beat down then they might as well just miss it, at least Avery can get fired.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:29 AM   #3
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Remember last year, when everything was clinched, Avery gave up a few games. You take the foot off the gas pedal, no guarantee you can ever push it again. Look what happened to us after the 5 game preseason we just had against the lottery teams, then our first big game, we pull a zero to start the game. IT's hard to turn on and off. Look what happened to the Giants in the week 17 games against the Patriots, Coughlin could have put in his JV team since everything was set for the playoffs, he didn't and it became the smartest thing any coach has done. Gruden for the Bucs decided to put the JV team in to rest his varsity the last 3 weeks, one round and out. I think it bodes well for a team's psyche if they head into the postseason with the gas pedal on the floorboard.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:46 AM   #4
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

man you guys are really trying hard to drive me away from this board forever
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:11 PM   #5
Bambalaz

Bambalaz is just really niceBambalaz is just really niceBambalaz is just really niceBambalaz is just really niceBambalaz is just really niceBambalaz is just really nice

Don't know what drives me to this, but i would bet all my vcash that we'll play more consistent and stable on a high level once the playoffs have come.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:22 PM   #6
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambalaz
Don't know what drives me to this, but i would bet all my vcash that we'll play more consistent and stable on a high level once the playoffs have come.
Why? I mean is there a switch this team can flip that will have them beat good teams all of a sudden? I'm not saying it can't happen, but it's not probable.

This team as a unit is simply unproven. Unproven against the elite, and unproven on the road. That is a recipe for disaster in the playoffs. Now, maybe the Mavs do succeed in the playoffs, even without homecourt. But it would totally go against the trends the Mavs have set this entire year. I don't see why or how that changes all of a sudden.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:00 PM   #7
Bambalaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistaeffect2004
Why? I mean is there a switch this team can flip that will have them beat good teams all of a sudden? I'm not saying it can't happen, but it's not probable.

This team as a unit is simply unproven. Unproven against the elite, and unproven on the road. That is a recipe for disaster in the playoffs. Now, maybe the Mavs do succeed in the playoffs, even without homecourt. But it would totally go against the trends the Mavs have set this entire year. I don't see why or how that changes all of a sudden.
i can't underpin my prognosis, in all probability you're right and such a change to sudden success is very unlikely, but nevertheless i'm seriously convinced there's a great chance waiting to be taken this year. The hope the team will raise with the first win in playoffs. They need to enjoy the competition this year, the need to be thrilled in a positive way, instead of been afraid of losing.

sorry for these non-factual post
Old 03-19-2008, 02:23 PM   #8
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
HAHA...
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:35 PM   #9
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I remember well most of you people were talking all about how insignificant the regular season would be until the mavs can proof themselves in the playoffs.
heheh...*snicker*

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:07 PM   #10
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one

i know right.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:39 PM   #11
cinemablend

cinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to all

This team, the way they're constructed and the way they've been playing, will be lucky to make it into the playoffs at all.

The only reason they aren't already out of the playoff picture is that they were luck to hit a string of the worst teams in the NBA.

The Mavs are at best the 8th best team in the West right now.
cinemablend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:46 PM   #12
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

I disagree, we are as good as anyone. We're just not significantly better, and for some reason we have more trouble getting it together than other teams... I wonder why.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:13 PM   #13
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

I can say that any of 13 teams right now could win it all. 9 in the West, and 4 in the East.

No team is dominant this year.

My question is what moves would it take for the Mavs to be dominant -- and please give me the skillsets or offense/defense they are missing -- not names unless you have a name that is available that could be reasonably gotten.

Every team this year I can see warts on, and can be beat. I am just curious what people here would do in the off-season to make this Mavs team dominant instead of really good.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:23 PM   #14
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

I think everything will be tight, very tight, evenly matched, to the point where a lot of luck will get you a June date with the Celtics. I think other than the Warriors, Rockets and Hornets all have legit shots at seeing June, it's that close. It'll all depend on matchups. I'd love to see the Rockets or Hornets. Let Utah, SA, PHX, and the Lakers pound on each other. Keep a close eye on the top 3 spots.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:04 PM   #15
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
I can say that any of 13 teams right now could win it all. 9 in the West, and 4 in the East.

No team is dominant this year.

My question is what moves would it take for the Mavs to be dominant -- and please give me the skillsets or offense/defense they are missing -- not names unless you have a name that is available that could be reasonably gotten.

Every team this year I can see warts on, and can be beat. I am just curious what people here would do in the off-season to make this Mavs team dominant instead of really good.
It's the same old thing we have been asking for since the season started... a serious low post threat and a bigger quality two guard. Miller and Darko (as a backup center) would have been great, but I don't see us making any serious trades any time soon.

We don't have the assets to acquire either anymore. We blew all of out assets on upgrading our point guard position for some reason. It's still a mystery to me, I know Memphis would have been interested in Diop (expiring contract or even keeping him), I know they would have loved cap space (KVH's contract), and I know those picks we blew on Kidd would have been damn appealing as well.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:38 PM   #16
Bambalaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick41
heheh...*snicker*
puh! my french's even worse

so i'll keep calm and positive
Old 03-19-2008, 08:59 PM   #17
quiet riot act
Banned

quiet riot act is infamous around these partsquiet riot act is infamous around these partsquiet riot act is infamous around these partsquiet riot act is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokey41
I disagree, we are as good as anyone. We're just not significantly better, and for some reason we have more trouble getting it together than other teams... I wonder why.
anybody can score
good teams can score when they have to and can make stops on the other end
the mavericks...this maverick team with avery johnson and w/o del harris ...is not a good team

f avery
where is the sickle cell when you need it?
quiet riot act is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:11 PM   #18
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokey41
I agree with you. I think the trade affected us more than any other team - including Phoenix. We lost 1/3rd of our team and our new starter is plays the most cerebral position on the team. We've also jogged our starting lineup and sixth man as a result of this trade.

The other contenders are either status quo (Pistons, Spurs), have had more time to gel (Celtics) or made big trades that only affected 35 minutes of playtime (Lakers, Suns). The only comparable example is the Cavs but they are the most one-man team in the league.

Hope we get it together for a full 48 soon.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:12 PM   #19
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet riot act
anybody can score
the mavericks...this maverick team with avery johnson and w/o del harris ...is not a good team

f avery

jesus...that can't be right.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:44 AM   #20
mav_love

mav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nice

denver wins tonight. GSW loses.

hooray, we're still in 7th.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:53 AM   #21
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

the magic number is now 11 for us to clinch a playoff spot.

mavs wins+ warriors losses OR mavs wins + nuggets losses equal or greater to 11 = clinched.

Looking at the Warriors schedule, I think its very feasible... if they went 7-5, we'd only have to go 6-6... if they went 8-4... we'd only have to go 7-5. I know it will be difficult without Dirk (hopefully for just 2 weeks), but it's definitely not impossible.

they have roadies left against us, Denver, Phoenix, San Antonio, and New Orleans... they also have a sequence next week where they have 4 games in 5 nights in 4 different arenas, all against western playoff teams.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:18 AM   #22
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
puh! my french's even worse

so i'll keep calm and positive

Its all good and fun, nothing personal.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:21 AM   #23
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet riot act
anybody can score

f avery
Your sickle cell/pathetically racist spewage is about as funny as the tertiary Syphylis that is eating away your brain.

Look it up.
ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:24 AM   #24
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote