Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-26-2008, 10:19 AM   #41
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman
.....I think the effort and performance of the rest of the team were both below expectations when this team had Dirk.

But, I don't really know why this is the only way they could improve, and I don't really know why this would force them to improve. I thought the shake up was the best part about the Kidd trade. But if that didn't impel the players to step up their performances, I don't see why a Dirk injury would. Or rather, I see the link between the two but I wouldn't have too much faith. At least, not enough faith to call the Dirk injury a net positive.
perhaps I should have said "maybe this wasn't the worst thing that could have happened", but I couldn't resist the shock jock opportunity....and like I said, even with a healthy dirk, this team has one and done written all over it.....

but regardless...

yeah on the Kidd trade---the aspect of the trade that really made the most sense was that lockerroom was filled with a general malaise that had to be shocked away. The medium shock of the kidd trade didn't quite have the desired effect, hence the need for a massive jolt.

....which they may (or may not) receive through dirk's demise.

i was reminded of a very interesting analogy during last night's pre-game -- the '94-'95 Rockets.....

The team was a defending NBA champ and Olajuwon was the defending league MVP, but they were muddling along through the season when they made the blockbuster phi-slamma-jamma reunion trade for Drexler. But, post trade they continued to muddle along until Olajuwon went down. Then, Drexler remembered that he was a superstar and the other guys on that team remembered that they were damn good players....they got on a role and, as they say....history.

I specifically recall Kenny Smith (on his NBA Radio show) saying that it was playing without Olajuwon that got'em going again.

(that, and Jordan being out of the league)

anyway, i'm not saying that this will happen for the mavs, just that dirk going down may not have been the worst thing that could have happened.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:32 AM   #42
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackAttack
Kidd's time to shine is now.
hope he gets the ball in the half court...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:30 AM   #43
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos
happier still that he shot 15 free throws last night.....

sadly I had to work very late last night so I only listened to the game (got it tivo'd, tho)....I'm guessing that he didn't get to the line that often by relying solely upon his little step-back jumper.
Damn straight. It's obvious that in the nba the player who can get the refs to blow whistles for them is the winner in close contests. If you cannot get them then you will ultimately cool off and get beat.

If josh honestly wants to be an all-star he's going to have to take the pounding that comes with going to the hoop. Very good last night and he as much as anyone has to shoulder responsibility here.

In the second he almost single-handidly played us out of the game because he was jacking up crapola.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:51 AM   #44
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

josh -- two nuts swinging majestically
kidd -- one prunish testical, possibly cancerous
jet -- a shriveled and utterly nutless nutsack

Last edited by alexamenos; 03-31-2008 at 01:50 PM.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:43 PM   #45
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Damn straight. It's obvious that in the nba the player who can get the refs to blow whistles for them is the winner in close contests. If you cannot get them then you will ultimately cool off and get beat.
Which is why I wanted the Mavs to trade for Iverson. He will take the contact and get the foul calls. Unfortunately the Mavs liked their team at the time. And they didn't want to break up their core.

We need a GM who can find talent and fast.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:49 PM   #46
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Iverson would have been the perfect compliment to Dirk and a great fit for these mavericks, in my opinion.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:31 PM   #47
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien
Iverson would have been the perfect compliment to Dirk and a great fit for these mavericks, in my opinion.
Agreed then, agree now.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:51 PM   #48
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Um, we're obviously not going to be served anything good in the lottery. I thought people were smart...
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote