Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-31-2008, 02:06 AM   #1
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Playoff chances: The nightmare scenario

I hope it doesn't come to this, but if we don't beat the Warriors next Wednesday we are inviting a world of trouble. If we drop that game to them and they also beat Denver at home on April 10th, then April 16th could be a nailbiter of epic proportions. Imagine, if you will, both Golden State and us at 50-31 and Denver at 51-30. Or whatever the records are, just imagine that we and Golden State are tied and that Denver is one game above.

In that scenario, going into the last game of the season Denver would have a playoff berth clinched. So they wouldn't have any motivation to play for the win against Memphis at home. If they win, we hold the tiebreaker against Golden State in a head-to-head so we control our own destiny against New Orleans at home.

But if they lose and we and Golden State both win, it drops into a three-team tiebreaker and in that case we lose by dint of our lesser record in common games.

We could be looking at a situation where a Denver win--with that team already clinched a playoff berth--could put us in the playoffs while a Denver loss could put us out. In other words, we could be sitting there like the Clippers last year, if you know what I mean.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2008, 02:10 AM   #2
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

are you sure the 3 way tiebreaker isn't conference record instead of head to head record against the other 2?

we're listed as 7th right now over Denver even though they have a 2-1 series lead over us on account of the fact that we have the best conf record of the 3.

I'm not sure how it works though.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:14 AM   #3
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

In a three-teamer the first level is common games. That's what could bite us in the ass, thanks to our 1-2 versus Denver.

NBA.com shows Denver as #7, which would seem to be correct, as they are 4-2 in common games and we are 3-3 and GSW is 2-4.

Last edited by chumdawg; 03-31-2008 at 02:14 AM.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:35 AM   #4
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I think we've already arrived at the nightmare scenario. The nightmare is that it might be better to miss the playoffs anyway.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:08 AM   #5
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i think you just blew my mind.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:34 AM   #6
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

I am torn about whether to hope Dallas misses the playoffs, or they sneak in on the 8th spot and get swept again in the first round. I think missing the playoffs would be beneficial in that it would protect Dirk and allow him to recover during the off season and allow Dallas to keep their first round pick (although I'm not sure what they can get for the 14th pick). Missing the playoffs would hopefully trigger a coaching, front office and possible ownership change that might be needed to precede a major team re-tooling.

Is this where a Jimmy Johnson type trading takes place? Trade Dirk and Howard for several first round picks during the next two to three years? Let the Kidd contract expire, or trade him for additional picks?

This in essence is admitting that we'll never win the big one with this team? I feel sorry for Dirk & Kidd...but the remainder of the team & coaching is made up of mental midgets & emotional wimps. They will never win another first round as they are made up ever again....

Last edited by Maringa; 03-31-2008 at 07:37 AM.
Maringa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:50 PM   #7
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I can't imagine the Mavs not making the playoffs. I can't.. and I won't.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:22 PM   #8
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
I can't imagine the Mavs not making the playoffs. I can't.. and I won't.
oh you will. Just wait about 10 games.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:36 PM   #9
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

This is incredible.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:39 PM   #10
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

GS should have won that game against Denver. There were people rooting for Denver and I just did not get it. This thin is getting reall interesing and I hope we can come out with a spot

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:41 PM   #11
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

No way we get eliminated in 1st round if we make the playoffs, In fact i really believe if we make the playoffs we can go all the way.

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:41 PM   #12
Willstar

Willstar is on a distinguished road

next season will be better !!!!!!! ....

Willstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:17 PM   #13
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

I still believe the mavs will do good in the playoffs!
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:40 PM   #14
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

The nightmare scenario isn't us missing the playoffs.... its barely getting into the playoffs and losing in the first round (in 4 games if you want to think really bleak). In fact if we make the playoffs and don't win it all then thats a nightmare scenario.

I'd be proud of the team if they made it to the WCF or finals, its more than anyone expected out of them but I would rather have that draft pick if we didn't win the championship. I don't want to come out of this with nothing, this year is absurd... every other year we have been contenders, heavyweights (part of the big 3) and now? There's a big 8, things have changed and you need to take that into consideration. Then again with our ever closing window (two years, counting this one...) I can easily see why we are so desperate to make the playoffs.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:53 PM   #15
Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud of

Chum--would that hold true if San Antonio beats GSW and/or the Suns?
Big Shot Rob is offline   Reply With Quote