Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 04-10-2008, 06:13 PM   #81
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
The path to "we are the government" doesn't always lead down the road of Democracy...

I think every human who doesn't take responsibility for their own actions (which pretty much includes all of us) empowers the need for government - we prop up our own masters without lifting a finger because we're too lazy to lift our fingers in the first place... The question is: "why?"
a very fair statement, and it beats the hell outta me why we do this.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:13 PM   #82
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
I wasn't just talking about the quotes when I said mish-mash of other peoples' ideas. Murder? the British invention of the toilet? Your advanced learnedness in history??? You started that post saying you didn't say the appreciation of the flush toilet is consumerism. Then you rant about the evils of consumerism and the evils of appreciating the flush toilet without distinguishing between the two. Pick a point and argue it for just one post. Just one paragraph, even. It might help you stitch together something coherent out of all those ideas you've been reading.

the Pythagoreans worshipped beans, dude. beans.
Dear Yahweh/Aton/Jehovah/Bel/Gad/God. Actually I did distinguish between the two. Flush toilets are great. The U.S. dollar and those who wield it didn't invent the toilet. When your concept of the state of affairs in a country is based upon material progress, that is a sign of consumerism. My comments in regards to the toilet were that to base your view as to the state of affairs in a country on the flush toilet and the internet, you are showing signs of consumerism. I have actually stated all of these things repeatedly, but I can see that you are confused, so I'll refrain from stating them anymore.

For you, with love:

The Pythagorean Bean Myth, which you don't seem to grasp, either...

and here, for a truly scientific explanation of why they abstained from beans:

http://users.ucom.net/~vegan/beans.htm

Last edited by ribosoma; 04-10-2008 at 06:18 PM.
ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:28 PM   #83
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

a) a discussion has reached the limits of its usefulness when we must consider the relationship between pythagoreans and beans;

b) thank god tomorrow we'll have a game to discuss.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:32 PM   #84
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos
a) a discussion has reached the limits of its usefulness when we must consider the relationship between pythagoreans and beans;

Well said. I agree.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:06 PM   #85
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos

I think we've just about reached the point where 80% of the posts are complaining about the state of affairs, and no one is saying they'd rather be anywhere else.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:11 PM   #86
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think we've just about reached the point where 80% of the posts are complaining about the state of affairs, and no one is saying they'd rather be anywhere else.
I'd rather be on the moon (but only if you'll come with me...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:19 PM   #87
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribosoma
The Pythagorean Bean Myth, which you don't seem to grasp, either...

and here, for a truly scientific explanation of why they abstained from beans:

http://users.ucom.net/~vegan/beans.htm
did you read either of these things you linked? the second one is an argument as to why we shouldn't think the Pythagoreans had scientific reasons for not eating beans.
Quote:
The most interesting of Aristotle’s four other reasons are “because they are like genitals”7 and “because they are like the gates of Hades, [the stems] alone [of all plants] being without joints,”
They linked beans to reincarnation. I have a pretty strong feeling that if you lived at the same time Pythagoras did, you'd be quoting all sorts of stuff your teachers were handing you about how the Pythagoreans are frauds and don't really believe in empiricism at all, and that if we don't do away with the pythagorean theorem and harmonics, then we are sheeple being led down an ugly path of bean worship.

Last edited by Usually Lurkin; 04-10-2008 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:24 PM   #88
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
I'd rather be on the moon
well, really, me, too. But not if I have to pay for a ride with those danged commies. Let me ride with good ol' NASA, paid for by good ol' Americans
Old 04-10-2008, 07:33 PM   #89
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
well, really, me, too. But not if I have to pay for a ride with those danged commies. Let me ride with good ol' NASA, paid for by good ol' Americans
I can only afford "free"... Do you take hitchhikers, or should I "get a job, hippie!" that can afford me space travel?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-10-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:35 PM   #90
ribosoma
Golden Member

Quote:
did you read either of these things you linked? the second one is an argument as to why we shouldn't think the Pythagoreans had scientific reasons for not eating beans.

They linked beans to reincarnation. I have a pretty strong feeling that if you lived at the same time Pythagoras did, you'd be quoting all sorts of stuff your teachers were handing you about how the Pythagoreans are frauds and don't really believe in empiricism at all, and that if we don't do away with the pythagorean theorem and harmonics, then we are sheeple being led down an ugly path of bean worship.
I am self taught, my friend. The second link actually stated both sides, which I thought was objective, but apparently you didn't. Being that Pythagoras didn't teach about usury, or the need for warfare, but instead brought ideas that are at the root of both practical and sacred geometry to mankind, I would probably be enrolled in his mystery school, if I was fortunate enough to be admitted. You had to be pious and not rooted in materialism, as well as having a great knowledge of mathematics and science. You also had to be self aware about how your thoughts affected the world around you, so you couldn't be apathetic. The reason I posted a refutation to your statement about one of the great thinkers of mankind is because you butchered what he and his school were about. I see that you won't admit that. Again, I get it. Perhaps my refutations of your flawed logic would appear to make more sense if they weren't tied to your logic. That tie is now broken.

And for the record, I would love to live in Costa Rica, Belize, or Oaxaca, Mexico.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:40 PM   #91
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

So, what keeps you away from there?

I ask this because I would like to go some place like that (at least for a while - before finding the next interesting spot) but have not for fairly pathetic reasons ($$, conditioning).

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:34 PM   #92
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribosoma
I am self taught, my friend. The second link actually stated both sides, which I thought was objective,
Self taught doesn't mean you're not mashing together other people's ideas. That site did state both sides, as in "here's side A, which is bad, so here's side B."

Quote:
And for the record, I would love to live in Costa Rica, Belize, or Oaxaca, Mexico.
If you wanted to, you would.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:38 PM   #93
ribosoma
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof
So, what keeps you away from there?

I ask this because I would like to go some place like that (at least for a while - before finding the next interesting spot) but have not for fairly pathetic reasons ($$, conditioning).
Ah, we are in the same boat, my friend. I am already booked for a few trips through the summer, so I'll have to wait until early fall to go. Here's to you going out and experiencing the beauty of the world. Cheers.