Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-24-2008, 12:00 AM   #1
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute
Default What Jason Terry said about Rick Carlisle

Cool little interview from Ball Don't Lie blog on Yahoo.

Quote:
Jason Terry: The Ball Don't Lie interview

By J.E. Skeets

On Tuesday, Dallas Mavericks guard Jason Terry took time out of his busy summer schedule to answer a few questions about his new coach, life after basketball, the Sonics' situation, golf and more. Enjoy!

Ball Don't Lie: Let’s start with the big news in Dallas this off-season, and that's of course, Rick Carlisle replacing Avery Johnson behind the Mavs' bench. Have you had a chance to sit down and talk with coach Carlisle yet?

Jason Terry: Yeah, I had a great meeting with coach Carlisle last week, and I have another workout planned for today. He and I are already on the same page. He's a great coach. We know he’s a winner — he’s taken two teams already to the Eastern Conference Finals — he’s cool under pressure, and he seems like a good players’ coach that guys want to play for. So, yeah, that adjustment should go pretty smoothly.

BDL: Did you get into anything specific about his planned offense? Do you know what your role is going to be in his system?

JET: Well, when you’ve been in the league almost ten years, your role really never changes. You pretty much do what you do, and that’s what he told me. He wants me to come in and do what’s gotten me to this point in my career, which is score the ball, play good defense, and be the energy — the engine — that makes this thing go. He’s given me free reign.

BDL: What about last season under coach Avery? Was there ever any confusion as to how you should be used in the offense? You know, as to whether you were a starter or a sixth man, a point guard or a shooting guard? Was that frustrating?

JET: Oh, not at all. Like I said, I’ve been in this thing now nine years, and to come to a team where we have plenty of talent and the ability to play different line-ups, that has always been our strong suit. Somewhere along the line some guy has to make that sacrifice. Well, I’m the perfect guy. I can come off the bench, I can start, and I can two play positions. I have fun doing it.

My whole thing is I love to play the game. As long as I’m still in uniform, can tie up my shoes, get the fans involved, and have an opportunity to win, I enjoy it.

BDL: Do you like one position more than the other, though?

JET: Playing with Jason Kidd, I love to play off the ball. I love to play at the shooting guard position because you know that if you run the floor, he’s going to get it to you. And not only is he going to get it to you, but you’re going to have a great opportunity to score the ball. With J-Kidd on our team, me at the shooting guard position ... it works out fine for the both of us.

BDL: Speaking of Kidd, what's it like playing alongside a passer as skilled as him — a guy that knows exactly where to get a shooter, like yourself, the ball? Have you noticed a difference between his skills compared to other guards you’ve played with in the past? You know, in terms of placing the ball in that perfect sweet spot to catch and let go in motion.

JET: Yeah, because see the thing about it is, when you’re a shooter, we’ve got two things that you want: on target and on time. A split second can change the whole difference and mechanics of a shot. And Jason is perfect with it. He sees the play before the play develops and, as long you’re aware and alert as a shooter, which you should be playing with a point guard like Jason Kidd, you’re going to have a great opportunity and shoot a high percentage. He’s not going to put you in a situation where you have to create and make a difficult shot. It’s going to be on time and on target.

BDL: A thing I’ve been curious about NBA players is what you guys do in the off-season. Do you go on vacation after you’re bounced? Do you get right back in the gym? How do you stay busy during the off-season?

JET: Well, I have four beautiful daughters at home, and a beautiful wife, so I try to spend as much time with the family as I can. I also have the Jason Terry Foundation, which we run three basketball camps across the States — one in Arizona, Seattle and right here in Dallas. So, I spend my summer months between basketball camps, staying in shape and playing with the kiddos at home.

BDL: Four daughters? You’re not having any problems staying busy ...

JET: Not a minute in the day goes by where I don’t have something I can be doing especially with those kids, man. They’re full of energy, but very fun and humbled by the whole dad experience.

BDL: You brought up Seattle, so I got to ask. You were born and raised there. What’s your take, or how do you feel about the Sonics possibly leaving town?

JET: You know what, I play for the Mavericks, I’m an NBA player, but I still root for the Sonics when I’m not playing against them. They’re dear to my heart, and it would be tough seeing basketball not in Seattle.

Growing up in Seattle, my P.E. teacher was an ex-Sonic player, Slick Watts. I’ve always loved the Seattle SuperSonics. Sneaking into the arena with my mom at four years old to watch a playoff game was unbelievable. So, to see them leave the city of Seattle would be disappointing, but if they do, hopefully they can get another team back there soon.

BDL: If the Sonics do leave town, has there been any talk in the Terry household of maybe rounding up the ten siblings and forming a new franchise?

JET: (laughs) Hey, that’s funny you say that. Naw, I’ve heard from inside sources though that there’s a group getting some funds together, trying to build a new arena, and hopefully enticing a team to come up that way. We’ll see what happens.

BDL: What’s the one thing you don’t like about dealing with the media? Does it ever get exhausting?

JET: No, it never gets exhausting for me, because hopefully when I do retire one day — when I’m like 45, 50 (laugh) — I can go join the mainstream media. That way I’ll be able to see it from both sides, both perspectives.

But one thing I will tell you: when I do become apart of the media, I’m going to be fair, honest and straightforward. And that’s probably the only frustrating thing. You’ve got some guys out there with egos that pick at you, try to pick on the negative. But I like to bring out the positive side of things, because you never know what someone is going through.

BDL: So you plan on covering the league after you’re done playing ball?

JET: No doubt, no doubt. Either color commentary on TV, or somewhere on the radio. Some syndicated program.

BDL: What's the one thing you enjoy doing that most people would be surprised to hear that an NBA player does?

JET: Well, I think what a lot of players don’t like are some of these off-the-court events. Like, what I’m involved in today, the Gatorade Tiger Moonshot Challenge. You know, things like getting out in the community, talking to kids, being a positive influential role model. Things of that nature. It really gets my motor running.

BDL: Tell me a little more about what you're doing with Gatorade down there today. They tell me you’re doing some sort of long drive simulator?

JET: Oh, yeah, the Gatorade Tiger Moonshot Challenge. I know you’ve seen the commercials of Tiger in his moon suit. Well, now it’s your turn as a fan to actually come out in the simulator and swing away at it. The longest drive will have an opportunity to go to New York for the finals to hit for a $125,000 vacation grand prize. So if you can out drive me, you got a shot. I’m hittin’ ‘em over 300 yards these days.

BDL: I was just going to ask. That's what you’re hittin’ in there?

JET: Oh, yeah, 300-plus. Don’t tell anybody, though (laughs).

BDL: You’re a recreational golfer, right? Do you hit the links quite a bit?

JET: Oh, no doubt. I love golf. I try to get out three times a week, keep my swing fresh. I wouldn’t say I’m any good at it, but I do have fun.

BDL: Okay, well, if you could play a round of 18 with three people in history, dead or alive, who would they be? And no, you can’t say Tiger Woods.

JET: (without missing a beat) Number three: Charles Barkley. I know he bets, so I want to take his money. (laugh) Um, number two? Probably Arnold Palmer. One of the greatest golfers of all-time.

BDL: And number one?

JET: Number one: Michael Jordan. Why not? He started this whole NBA player-golf type thing, so hopefully I could hang with him.

BDL: Nice. OK, final question, and I’ll apologize in advance for this, but it’s a Ball Don’t Lie rule to finish interviews with a ridiculously random question. So ... if you had to have one of these which would it be, for whatever reason: four arms and two legs, or two arms and four legs?

JET: Hmm ...

BDL: It’s a tough question, I know.

JET: I’d probably want four arms. That way I could wrap all four of my arms around the NBA trophy that I know we got coming to Dallas.

BDL: (laughs) Why do I feel like you’ve been asked that question before?

JET: (laughs) No, no, first time. I had never heard anything like that.

BDL: I was worried you were going to say “four legs,” because then you’d have to double up on your knee high-socks.

JET: Man, that would be terrible! I wear four on each leg! That would get me up to 16 quick.

BDL: You’d have to play Barkley for sure. Make some money to cover your costs.

JET: (laugh) Yeah.

BDL: JET, thanks so much for your time. I really appreciate it. Best of luck next season. I’m looking forward to seeing you guys under Carlisle.

JET: Anytime. Thanks.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/bal...?urn=nba,83918

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 05-24-2008 at 12:01 AM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2008, 12:14 AM   #2
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

after the first couple questions, this things beat me senseless

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 12:14 AM   #3
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

nice to see that JET didn't throw Avery under the buss, though...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 12:15 AM   #4
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno, I always like reading random crap about the players where you can sorta get a feel for what they're really like, rather than just same old boring questions.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:19 AM   #5
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
nice to see that JET didn't throw Avery under the buss, though...
he loved avery, man.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:39 AM   #6
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

You can't control what the 3 ball from the corner do....

y'all crazy.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:56 AM   #7
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

I like Jet, but man he's a boring interview. He's just too nice.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:11 AM   #8
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

JET ain't in no position to say anything BUT nice, and he knows it. The dude does a good job of making a lot out of a little.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:54 AM   #9
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

If Terry is still on the team, he'll be the 6th or 7th man next season.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 09:07 AM   #10
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

I doubt if we dont get a major player in here that Jet will not be the starter. As usual people find a way to get on Jet about little stuff, but Jet was 1 out of 3 guys that played in that NO series. Not only did he play on offense , but he played good D too. If we get a 2 like Redd then Jet becomes the 6th mann and he will do fine. If we pick up someone lesser then hes still the starter which I have no problem with.

Dirk has carried us, but anytime we have had any real success it was always Jet and Dirk both playing well. Its rarely Dirk and anyone else. IMO Jet is still our #2 option on offense. But now with Kidd and having the freedom to play I expect big things out of these guys...sooo Go Mavs next year

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS

Last edited by AxdemxO; 05-24-2008 at 09:08 AM.
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 10:55 AM   #11
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
JET ain't in no position to say anything BUT nice, and he knows it. The dude does a good job of making a lot out of a little.
Why does he have to play nice? $41MM over the next four years puts in a position to say what he damn well pleases. He's just a positive guy. It's been that way since he got here.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:56 AM   #12
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxdemxO
I doubt if we dont get a major player in here that Jet will not be the starter. As usual people find a way to get on Jet about little stuff, but Jet was 1 out of 3 guys that played in that NO series. Not only did he play on offense , but he played good D too. If we get a 2 like Redd then Jet becomes the 6th mann and he will do fine. If we pick up someone lesser then hes still the starter which I have no problem with.

Dirk has carried us, but anytime we have had any real success it was always Jet and Dirk both playing well. Its rarely Dirk and anyone else. IMO Jet is still our #2 option on offense. But now with Kidd and having the freedom to play I expect big things out of these guys...sooo Go Mavs next year
This is a point that too often gets ignored.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:05 AM   #13
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I like jet and I like his positive attidtude, always have. IMO it's a great way to try and approach life, especially a life that's been as blessed as his is. The thing you won't get from jet very much is much of a deep philosophical answer to things, he's just having too much fun out there.

Jet, dirk, damp all played much better with jkidd. Jet especially because he did get out there and run it up and down the floor.

Thanks for the "what he said" thread, I enjoyed it.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 03:25 PM   #14
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Jet wears 4 pairs of socks at a time????
Old 05-24-2008, 04:15 PM   #15
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
I like jet and I like his positive attidtude, always have. IMO it's a great way to try and approach life, especially a life that's been as blessed as his is. The thing you won't get from jet very much is much of a deep philosophical answer to things, he's just having too much fun out there.

Jet, dirk, damp all played much better with jkidd. Jet especially because he did get out there and run it up and down the floor.

Thanks for the "what he said" thread, I enjoyed it.
I agree completely, I love his positive attitude. It's a good thing to have in the locker room, and hopefully it rubs off on the other players since JET is viewed as a leader. And I love the thread title, it still hasn't gotten old

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 08:24 PM   #16
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

Jet likes him~
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 08:43 PM   #17
LonghornDub

Dammit horse.

Old 05-25-2008, 04:31 PM   #18
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I like how he followed "do what I always do" with "play good defense" haha
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 06:03 PM   #19
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

Jet is one of the good ones in the NBA when it comes to on and off the court activity.
Mavsfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 07:04 PM   #20
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
I like how he followed "do what I always do" with "play good defense" haha
You stole my joke. I was just about to post that.
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:23 AM   #21
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman
You stole my joke. I was just about to post that.

I found it kinda funny too...but he sure did play good D against NO..

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS

Last edited by AxdemxO; 05-26-2008 at 12:23 AM.
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote