Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-23-2008, 08:42 PM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pretty solid article about the mavs..

I pretty much agree with what this dudes saying. I expect jet to really play better in a motion offense. Hopefully someone can get josh's head on straight, if they can we can compete, if not, katy bar the door.

http://www.bleacherreport.com/articl...up-next-season
Quote:

By hiring Rick Carlisle as the new head coach, owner Mark Cuban has basically said he's not destroying his team's core...yet. What he doesn't want to see is another first round flame-out by the veteran Mavericks next season.

Carlisle running the show should mean Jason Kidd running more, pushing the pace for a Mavs team that is more athletic than it is reliable in a half-court game.

The change of pace will hopefully ignite the production of guard Jason Terry and forward Josh Howard, both of whom have a tendency to disappear from time to time when the team can't afford it.

This should also relieve Dirk Nowitski from having to create all the offensive production for Dallas, as he was forced to do against New Orleans in the playoffs. More production in a quicker tempo by Nowitski's teammates means less defensive attention on him, which has been nothing less than smothering the last two postseasons.

An issue Dallas faces is its mortgaged depth and youth from the Kidd trade last season. Gone is speedy point man Devin Harris. while Harris isn't (nor ever will be) the decision maker Kidd is, his foot speed gave opponents fits. That will be missed as Kidd's own engine wanes with old age.

Also involved in the deal was center Desagana Diop, who provided a young, shot-blocking presence the Mavs desperately missed against Chris Paul and the Hornets. Erick Dampier, slow-footed and overpaid, is Dallas' only remaining serviceable center. Acquisition and former all-star Jamaal Magloire turned out to be useless.

Unless Carlisle opts to go small the majority of the time, the Mavs will have to address their frontcourt depth, or lack thereof, in the offseason.

Offseason improvements won't be easy to come by, as Dallas has no first round picks in next month's draft. The only youthful improvement might be the offseason doings of forward Brandon Bass, who Cuban fell in love with after he became known for giving the Mavs a shot of energy and rebounding off the bench.

Other than Bass, the Mavs don't have many tradeable assets. It's doubtful they'll want to give up Jerry Stackhouse, who has provided consistent scoring off the bench for several seasons now. Other reserves aren't likely to garner much attention around the league, so other improvement through player movement would almost inevitably involved at least one of Dallas' core players.

Their best hope is that Carlisle is able to implement a system that allows Kidd, Terry and Howard to contribute consistently. That shouldn't be as difficult with a full training camp to integrate Carlisle's system and Kidd's talents with the rest of the team.

If those things happen and Nowitski maintains or improves his superstar production, Dallas will be yet another contender in the western conference.

If their play remains uncertain and inconsistent, however, the Mavs could very well find themselves out of the playoffs for the first time since 2000.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2008, 09:20 PM   #2
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

**IN fRANNK cOSTANZA'S VOICE**

"I'M BACK, BABY!"
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:31 PM   #3
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss
**IN fRANNK cOSTANZA'S VOICE**

"I'M BACK, BABY!"
welcome back...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:30 PM   #4
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

The article does not address the issue that Carlisle repeatedly inferred a shake up in the roster. The article's thesis is basically: The Mavs can't change their roster and they are going to do what seems to fit the roster best which is to go small and run.

That thesis is not consistent with the interviews of Carlisle...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
wmbwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:09 PM   #5
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

Ever since the end of the season, I've been thinking whether the Mavs need substantial shakeups to the core or just small tweaks.

When you lose in the first round in 5 games, it seems like you're a long way from the top. but are you? we were only 6 games out of 1st this year, with way too many rotation tweaks, an inept coach, and adjustments due to injuries and trade. Before the Hornets series, many losses were close and down to the final minute and we weren't getting run off the court or anything.

Do we need shakeups, or just tweaks?
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:18 PM   #6
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazi
Do we need shakeups, or just tweaks?
this sounds dirty...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 05-23-2008, 11:27 PM   #7
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

"It's doubtful the'll give up Stackhouse..."

Um...it's a whole lot more doubtful that Stackhouse has anything left to offer the team.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 12:46 AM   #8
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart
"It's doubtful the'll give up Stackhouse..."

Um...it's a whole lot more doubtful that Stackhouse has anything left to offer the team.
I was about to say the same thing. I'll actually be surprised if Stack is on the roster next year. He's got nothing left, and he's the only expiring contract we have. And frankly I hope to god he isn't on the team next year. I've just had enough of him.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 05-24-2008 at 12:53 AM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 01:25 AM   #9
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
I was about to say the same thing. I'll actually be surprised if Stack is on the roster next year. He's got nothing left, and he's the only expiring contract we have. And frankly I hope to god he isn't on the team next year. I've just had enough of him.
I love you.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:44 AM   #10
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Keep Stack and give him some brass knuckles + a switchblade or two.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:05 AM   #11
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

I hate when people misspell Dirk's last name.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:17 AM   #12
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
I hate when people misspell Dirk's last name.
Amen, I was thinking the same thing. One of my biggest pet peeves. As soon as I see it misspelled I don't take the article seriously.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:39 AM   #13
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Nowitski? He said that more than once. Another player maybe?

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 06:38 AM   #14
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

Yeah, after a decade of Nowitzki playing basketball, you should be able to spell his name right...

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:45 PM   #15
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

This is a good article imo, we should be ale to make a comeback next season but in the meantime you guys should check this out : http://youtube.com/watch?v=TDubp5GqYfU
Old 05-25-2008, 07:26 AM   #16
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsufferingmavsfan
This is a good article imo, we should be ale to make a comeback next season but in the meantime you guys should check this out : http://youtube.com/watch?v=TDubp5GqYfU
thats a good dunk
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:18 AM   #17
Eman

Eman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to all

This guy totally overvalues Stackhouse. I think Stack will be traded this offseason. With only $2 mill guaranteed after this year, he is a good salary addition for a Michael Redd or somesuch player.
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:11 AM   #18
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman
This guy totally overvalues Stackhouse. I think Stack will be traded this offseason. With only $2 mill guaranteed after this year, he is a good salary addition for a Michael Redd or somesuch player.
Amen, halleluia! Stack is washed up. Guys like him make it on teams like the spurs by swithing to a defensive focus, which Stack has yet to grasp. He thinks way too much of himself. In my opinion, if he is in the top 9 on this team next year, it is a failure. If he is on any roster other than the mavs, it is a success.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:53 PM   #19
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

Something to think about. 8 of the 13 regular season losses after the Kidd trade where down to the final minute, 4 of them were with an absent Dirk, and the other was the first game after the Kidd trade.

WHen I think about things like this, it makes it seem like the Mavs aren't that far from the top. THese aren't excuses for losing, they're reasons for losing. Reasons that I think can be easily fixed. Is poor late game execution due to talent or coaching, or both? Can we conclude that SO many losses in the final minutes can be attributable to variance (1-2 shots, 1-2 bad calls, luck, etc?) So how far ARE we from the top of the west?

However in the playoffs I must say we looked absolutely horrible. Game 1 was arguably our worst offensive game of the year, game 2 was DEFINITELY our worst defensive game of the year, and games 4 and 5 were just "bleh".
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:54 PM   #20
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

dude thanks for singlehandedly making this offseason less boring.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:55 PM   #21
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazi
However in the playoffs I must say we looked absolutely horrible.
I think a couple games into the series Avery had finally neutered Kidd beyond repair for this season....

Old 05-27-2008, 04:48 PM   #22
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Using Kidd in the right system, in itself is a new acquisition. Kidd changes your team, from an ISO 1 or 2 on 5, to basically a 5 on 5 game where everyone even Damp has to be accounted for. I would not mind one bit to keep this roster together. Add Diop and Miles with the MLE, even move Stack to upgrade the 1st wing position, but little else.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote