Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-03-2008, 11:18 PM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mavs host the make-a-wish kids

There's a lot of things I like about the mavs...this is one of them. Also as much as Stackhouse can drive me crazy, he seems really honest when he's out in the community.

Pretty neat video and story.

http://www.dallasnews.com/video/dall...ml?nvid=251301

Quote:
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.2c20e08.html
Rick Carlisle is headed to Germany this week to spend some quality time with Dirk Nowitzki, but Carlisle will be hard pressed to top the experience he had Tuesday.

Dallas Mavericks host Make-A-Wish children

The Mavericks' new coach teamed with Jerry Stackhouse and president Donnie Nelson to host about 50 kids at American Airlines Center, courtesy of the Make-A-Wish Foundation. The kids, all either suffering or recovering from traumatic illnesses, were treated to a tour of the Mavericks' locker room and training facilities, then went through a clinic for an hour on the practice court.

Carlisle, like Nelson and Stackhouse, was moved by the sight of so many wide-eyed kids who forgot about their problems for a day.

"These kids, to me, epitomize what it means to be brave," Carlisle said. "A lot of them have gone through some very, very difficult things, and a lot of them have come through with flying colors."

One of those is Jericka Jenkins. The 17-year-old Lancaster resident was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma when she was 14. After more than two years of chemotherapy and other treatment, doctors told her she was in full remission in November.

In a couple months, she will begin college on a scholarship to Hampton in Virginia. Earlier this year, she attended the NBA All-Star Game in New Orleans.

"I felt really bad when I was sick, but now I'm doing fine," she said. "I try to tell all these kids that it's going to be OK. Make-A-Wish is going to be there if nobody else is. I tell them to be normal kids and have fun."

At the All-Star Game, Jericka challenged Samuel Dalembert of the Philadelphia 76ers to a 3-point contest.

"I almost beat him," she said. "The first time we tied. The second time he beat me."

Stackhouse took questions from the kids and even got a challenge from one, who said he could take him one-on-one. Stackhouse looked at the kid and was shocked when he stood up and was taller than the 6-6 Stackhouse.

"That's my kind of guy," Stackhouse said. "That guy's got heart.

"When you look at some of these kids and some of the illnesses they deal with and their dream is to come here and spend some time with the Mavericks, when I was asked to be a part of it, it was a no-brainer."

The event was a nice break for Carlisle, who has hit the ground running after replacing Avery Johnson. He has spent time with virtually every player on the roster and is eager to make his trip to Germany.

"I'm going to spend some time with Dirk and see his summer training regimen and spend some time with him on things that hopefully will help him within the context of our team," Carlisle said. "The summer is an opportunity. We have to take advantage of it."
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 06-03-2008 at 11:18 PM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2008, 11:58 PM   #2
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Great story and video...it has to be a very great honor to speak in front of those kids.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:15 PM   #3
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

As much as we all LOVE basketball, there are a lot of things that are more important. Every player and every fan should count their blessings. God has blessed us and we need to realize that there are things we can all do to reach out to the ones who so badly need us. Either with time or money, we all can make a difference. Thank you Mavs.
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:09 PM   #4
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwei
"
why do I believe that this is a trojan horse of some kind. GET RID OF THIS DUDE!!!
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 06-10-2008 at 08:10 PM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:50 AM   #5
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

Carlisle going oversea's to Germany makes me feel gitty. Holger, Dirk, and Carlisle working on shots, movements, plays, etc., man, I want to see the 08-09 team.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote