Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 05-28-2008, 10:12 PM   #41
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

Isaiah 54:5

5 For thy Maker is thine husband; the Lord of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called.

As can be seen, the Redeemer of Israel is not the God only of Israel but the whole world. It is because of this fact that a great many religions teach that the word "Israel" means a lot more than just the family lines. I showed you above how that the "seed" of Israel was scattered among all nations. But, it is equally important to understand that:
1)an unworthy person who is a pure descendant of Jacob is not better than a worthy person with no direct genetic attachment. A great many churches teach that an Israelite is a person of Faith irregardless of his bloodline.
2)So, to answer your question, it is not important as to salvation as to whether you have the genetic material of the Hebrews, Abraham, or Jacob. The Redeemer of Israel is the God of the whole earth.

Now, again, it is a mistake to not recognize references to Israel, Jacob, Abraham, etc. in all of their various meanings. Isaiah chapter 49 definitely refers to the gathering of the family of Jacob back to the land of Israel. And, it definitely refers to the "Gentiles" playing a heavy role in making that possible. But, it is NOT to be understood that only the genetic family of Abraham or Jacob has a claim to salvation.

Your question about how to know if you are right with God has no direct answer in the forty ninth chapter of Isaiah but is elsewhere explained in great detail.

I have intentionally remained as broad and objective and as all inclusive as I know how to be. But, if you want my view on how to know you are right with God, then you will have to PM me to continue this in another venue. I am among those who believe in the New Testament and so that is an obvious departure from an all inconclusive explanation because holding the New Testament up as true is to say the Jews are not entirely correct...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by wmbwinn; 05-28-2008 at 10:13 PM.
wmbwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2008, 10:12 PM   #42
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is a bit of a bible student and I showed her this thread, in particular the Isiah passage and explained that the gist of the discussion was about gentiles, jews, beholden, etc. Just an FYI...

Quote:
I get it. Since the Jews are no longer God's chosen people though, any dominion they might exercise over another nation or nations would not be on account of a special blessing from Jehovah. Earlier of course the Jews did enjoy Jehovah's favor as you know. Sometimes people get confused because they don't understand that the 'new' Jerusalem is a spiritual nation, not a literal physical one. Some members of that new spiritual nation are natural Jews of course, like the 11 faithful apostles for instance and Jesus himself, but also there are peoples of every tribe and tongue and nation who are citizens of new Jerusalem. These ones will rule as kings and princes over the earth from their heavenly position. Those of us who have attached ourselves to them and who have a hope of living on earth forever are the other sheep or the nations. I'll show you the book when you get home. It's really good.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:19 PM   #43
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

To both winn and dude (or dude's wife, as the case may be)...if lineage and geography don't have anything special to do with it, then...well, why do lineage and geography seem to have *everything* to do with it?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:30 AM   #44
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Thanks for the detailed explanation. You learn something every day, they say, and I certainly did today.

My first question, then, would be: How do know if I'm in good or not?

An answer to your question. That depends on relationship, not actions nor what you/I deserve.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:37 AM   #45
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

"if lineage and geography don't have anything special to do with it, then...well, why do lineage and geography seem to have *everything* to do with it?"

Isaiah chapter 49 is not about the salvation of the souls of men. It is about the fulfilling of the prophecies regarding the return of Israel to the Middle East and the role of the Gentile is bringing that about.

Chapter 49 in Isaiah is all about geography and lineage and prophecies regarding that. But, it also denotes that the Gentiles will act to bring about those prophecies AND, IMPORTANTLY, it denotes that the "Gentile" nations are not "Gentile" in the broader sense because they will include the dispersed of Israel (which means they are of Israel)and they will act according to the "light" imparted to them as part of the prophecy (which also means they are acting as Israel in the larger symbolic meaning).

But, you are confusing salvation with specific prophecies about specific peoples and specific places. Their is not a [correct] doctrine of salvation only for certain genetic peoples.

Even the old Testament itself shows this as Ruth is in the lineage of King David and Ruth was (I believe) a Moabite. Ruth was converted and joined the Israeli nation and intermarried. Jonah was sent to Ninevah which is in Syria. Now, the dispersed of the North Kingdom (ten tribes) were in Syria, having been carried off to there by the Syrians after the Syrians sacked the North kingdom. But, Jonah did not contain his message to only the dispersed 10 tribes. The old Testament indicates (at the sorrow of Jonah who wanted to watch them die miserably) that Syria repented and that Ninevah was spared. The tradition and history of the Hebrews includes a lot of intermarriage and conversion. So, the Jews also don't believe in salvation only for the genetic family.

Again, the Redeemer of Israel is the God of the whole world.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-29-2008, 07:40 AM   #46
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
To both winn and dude (or dude's wife, as the case may be)...if lineage and geography don't have anything special to do with it, then...well, why do lineage and geography seem to have *everything* to do with it?
Because prophecy has to be fulfilled.

It was prophesied that Israel would come back together and become a nation, and it happened. (They were dispersed to the ends of the earth in 70 AD, as prophesied). It was prophesied that Jews would be called to their homeland, and their numbers have increased exponentially.

It is also prophesied that Gog (Russia) and Magog (probable Lebanon/Iran) will attack Israel with overwhelming force, and no one (including the US**) will come to their aid. God will though and destroy their armies and many will know that God is still around and still in charge.

** Nothing I can find says why the US doesn't come to their aid, so most speculation is that the US is no longer a superpower. If that is the case, then the US has a long way to fall in a short time. I would suspect it being because of a supernatural disaster or because we have been bankrupted as a nation (very possible with today's economy).

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 05-29-2008, 07:40 AM   #47
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
An answer to your question. That depends on relationship, not actions nor what you/I deserve.
Dalmation's statement is supported in both the Old and New Testament. But, to jump deep off from this point forward means that Dude, Dalmations, and myself may likely have some different views (as there are over 1200 branches of Christianity, all of which are unique in their views...). This is where the discussion should move to private discussions.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:42 AM   #48
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmbwinn
"if lineage and geography don't have anything special to do with it, then...well, why do lineage and geography seem to have *everything* to do with it?"

Isaiah chapter 49 is not about the salvation of the souls of men. It is about the fulfilling of the prophecies regarding the return of Israel to the Middle East and the role of the Gentile is bringing that about.

Chapter 49 in Isaiah is all about geography and lineage and prophecies regarding that. But, it also denotes that the Gentiles will act to bring about those prophecies AND, IMPORTANTLY, it denotes that the "Gentile" nations are not "Gentile" in the broader sense because they will include the dispersed of Israel (which means they are of Israel)and they will act according to the "light" imparted to them as part of the prophecy (which also means they are acting as Israel in the larger symbolic meaning).

But, you are confusing salvation with specific prophecies about specific peoples and specific places. Their is not a [correct] doctrine of salvation only for certain genetic peoples.

Even the old Testament itself shows this as Ruth is in the lineage of King David and Ruth was (I believe) a Moabite. Ruth was converted and joined the Israeli nation and intermarried. Jonah was sent to Ninevah which is in Syria. Now, the dispersed of the North Kingdom (ten tribes) were in Syria, having been carried off to there by the Syrians after the Syrians sacked the North kingdom. But, Jonah did not contain his message to only the dispersed 10 tribes. The old Testament indicates (at the sorrow of Jonah who wanted to watch them die miserably) that Syria repented and that Ninevah was spared. The tradition and history of the Hebrews includes a lot of intermarriage and conversion. So, the Jews also don't believe in salvation only for the genetic family.

Again, the Redeemer of Israel is the God of the whole world.
nice

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to wmbwinn again.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:46 AM   #49
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

It was prophesied that Israel would come back together and become a nation, and it happened. (They were dispersed to the ends of the earth in 70 AD, as prophesied). It was prophesied that Jews would be called to their homeland, and their numbers have increased exponentially.

It is also prophesied that Gog (Russia) and Magog (probable Lebanon/Iran) will attack Israel with overwhelming force, and no one (including the US**) will come to their aid. God will though and destroy their armies and many will know that God is still around and still in charge.

** Nothing I can find says why the US doesn't come to their aid, so most speculation is that the US is no longer a superpower. If that is the case, then the US has a long way to fall in a short time. I would suspect it being because of a supernatural disaster or because we have been bankrupted as a nation (very possible with today's economy).
Why isn't this the war of '67? I mean that was technically overwhelming force that Israel took out in record time?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 05-29-2008, 07:47 AM   #50
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Dalmation's statement is supported in both the Old and New Testament. But, to jump deep off from this point forward means that Dude, Dalmations, and myself may likely have some different views (as there are over 1200 branches of Christianity, all of which are unique in their views...). This is where the discussion should move to private discussions.
I have no doubt that I have different views that most, if not all people. Whether that should be private or not is debatable.

I am not a scholar, but I don't trust the so called scholars anyway, so I am not certain that it is a good thing to be a bible scholar.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:51 AM   #51
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Why isn't this the war of '67? I mean that was technically overwhelming force that Israel took out in record time?
Ah, the 6 day war.

Because the US did help, and provided the arms that Israel used.

Because Gog is Russia, and Russia wasn't part of the coalition.

Because this was part of the "budding" of the nation, and not the start of the end times, IMO.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:53 AM   #52
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Ah, the 6 day war.

Because the US did help, and provided the arms that Israel used.

Because Gog is Russia, and Russia wasn't part of the coalition.

Because this was part of the "budding" of the nation, and not the start of the end times, IMO.
Who was supplying egypt/syria? Just asking?

I'm sure that the US had provided any weapons that Israel used way before that war, they certainly were not directly involved.

So you are saying that until the democrats shut down aid to israel this prophecy cannot be fulfilled? I would expect russias time is past to be honest.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:57 AM   #53
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Scooby-Doo can doo-doo but Jimmy Carter is smarter...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:19 AM   #54
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Who was supplying egypt/syria? Just asking?

I'm sure that the US had provided any weapons that Israel used way before that war, they certainly were not directly involved.

So you are saying that until the democrats shut down aid to israel this prophecy cannot be fulfilled? I would expect russias time is past to be honest.
I do not know who, if anyone was supplying Egypt/Syria --- if Russia had been supplying them like they did North Vietnam, well, you get the picture. (and the US had two carrier groups off the coast of Israel supplying all we had to them at the time -- so yes, we were kind of directly involved)

Russia's time is past, but don't kid yourself into thinking that Russia doesn't want to be a superpower again. Gaining oil allies by destroying Israel is not something Russia wouldn't consider today.

Right now, the world is run off of an oil economy. He who controls the oil, really controls the economy of the world. The US has for years controlled the economy. That is going away right now, with gas prices rising exponentially. This is setting up to destroy the value of the dollar, and bankrupt the country -- allowing the US to go to an Amero, etc and stop being a sovereign nation, but becoming a global area.

Last edited by dalmations202; 05-29-2008 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:42 PM   #55
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

More interesting stuff. Right now I'm wondering how it is known--or perhaps I should say: why it is believed--that Gog is Russia.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:31 PM   #56
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
I do not know who, if anyone was supplying Egypt/Syria --- if Russia had been supplying them like they did North Vietnam, well, you get the picture. (and the US had two carrier groups off the coast of Israel supplying all we had to them at the time -- so yes, we were kind of directly involved)

Russia's time is past, but don't kid yourself into thinking that Russia doesn't want to be a superpower again. Gaining oil allies by destroying Israel is not something Russia wouldn't consider today.

Right now, the world is run off of an oil economy. He who controls the oil, really controls the economy of the world. The US has for years controlled the economy. That is going away right now, with gas prices rising exponentially. This is setting up to destroy the value of the dollar, and bankrupt the country -- allowing the US to go to an Amero, etc and stop being a sovereign nation, but becoming a global area.
I'm pretty sure it was russia. If you read some of the wiki entries they talk about MIGs being shot down. Historically Russia has always been pretty influential in the mideast.

You were doing okay to me until you kinda got down into the "he who controls the oil, really controls the economy of the world" part. Oils not good for much unless it's being sold. Saudia Arabia and Iran have the top 2 reserves but they don't control very much of anything. In fact Iran's economy is about a shambles. Sure russia may want to be a lot of things, but china, india, japan, eu are going to have a lot more to say about it. I think that russia's time is past.

Bankrupting the country...Hmm....exactly how is that happening when even now the debt is such a small portion of GDP?

I'll put my money on the companies that have high tech and people skills. Pumping oil doesn't enhance the folks who pump it other than monetarily. And sooner or later, 4.00 gas is going to find another way.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:48 PM   #57
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

Quote:
More interesting stuff. Right now I'm wondering how it is known--or perhaps I should say: why it is believed--that Gog is Russia.
It is nothing more than speculation, easily engendered as we generally have viewed Russia as our prime opponent.

Gog and Magog are the prophetic names given in the scriptures to that combination of nations which will fight against the purposes of the Lord on two separate and future occasions:

1. At the time of and incident to the second coming of the Lord and the ushering in of the thousand year time period of peace and

2. At the end of the Millennium (1000 year time period), plus a little season, when the final overthrow of evil and the destruction of the wicked shall take place.

The Lord has not revealed who the nations are, but his prophets have described, in general terms, what they will do in the great battles that shall hereafter be fought.

Because we think we are living in the last days, immediately preceding the second coming of the Lord, our chief interest in Gog and Magog centers in the pre-millennial war.

The Redeemer of Israel is to come again (this is the general picture that the Jews hold up as the first coming, a coming of conquest and military victory) in the midst of the battle of Armageddon, or in other words during the course of the great war between Israel and Gog and Magog. At the Second Coming all the nations of the earth are to be engaged in battle (I am not at all sure why Dalmations thinks and has said that the US will not help Israel at this time), and the fighting is to be in progress in the area of Jerusalem and Armageddon. (Zech. 11; Zech. 12; Zech. 13; Rev. 16:14–21.) The prophecies do not name the modern nations which will be fighting for and against Israel, but the designation Gog and Magog is given to the combination of nations which will seek to overthrow and destroy the remnant of the Lord’s chosen seed.

The 38th and 39th chapters of Ezekiel [Ezek. 38; Ezek. 39] record considerable prophetic detail relative to this great war. It should be noted that it is to take place "in the latter years"; that it will be fought in the "mountains of Israel" against those who have been gathered to the land of their ancient inheritance; that the land of Israel shall be relatively unprotected, a "land of unwalled villages"; that Gog and Magog shall come "out of the north parts" (probably one reason that Russia is suspected) in such numbers as "to cover the land" as a cloud; that the Lord will then come, and all men shall shake at his presence; that there will be such an earthquake as has never before been known, which will throw down the mountains; that there will be pestilence, blood, fire, and brimstone descend upon the armies; that the forces of Gog and Magog will be destroyed upon the mountains of Israel; that the Supper of the Great God shall then take place as the beasts and fowls eat the flesh and drink the blood of the fallen ones (Rev. 19:17–18); and that the house of Israel will be seven months burying the dead and seven years burning the discarded weapons of war.

The second and final great war involving Gog and Magog is referred to by John in Revelation 20:7–9 [Rev. 20:7–9]. But, this is after the 1000 years of peace.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:56 PM   #58
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

why do you believe we are living in the last days?
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:05 PM   #59
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
Scooby-Doo can doo-doo but Jimmy Carter is smarter...
You can't control what the Jew do...

Y'all Hilarious!!!

Note: humor is the goal, not an insult. Note to Arne: only humor intended...
Old 05-29-2008, 10:07 PM   #60
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsluggo
why do you believe we are living in the last days?
people have thought for 200 years or more that we were in the last days based on world events matching various prophecies of the last days
Old 05-30-2008, 12:22 AM   #61
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
The prophecies do not name the modern nations which will be fighting for and against Israel, but the designation Gog and Magog is given to the combination of nations which will seek to overthrow and destroy the remnant of the Lord’s chosen seed.
What did "Gog and Magog" mean to the person(s) who wrote the prophecies? I'm surmising that the names didn't just come out of nowhere.

Quote:
The 38th and 39th chapters of Ezekiel [Ezek. 38; Ezek. 39] record considerable prophetic detail relative to this great war. It should be noted that it is to take place "in the latter years"; that it will be fought in the "mountains of Israel" against those who have been gathered to the land of their ancient inheritance; that the land of Israel shall be relatively unprotected, a "land of unwalled villages"; that Gog and Magog shall come "out of the north parts" (probably one reason that Russia is suspected) in such numbers as "to cover the land" as a cloud; that the Lord will then come, and all men shall shake at his presence; that there will be such an earthquake as has never before been known, which will throw down the mountains; that there will be pestilence, blood, fire, and brimstone descend upon the armies; that the forces of Gog and Magog will be destroyed upon the mountains of Israel; that the Supper of the Great God shall then take place as the beasts and fowls eat the flesh and drink the blood of the fallen ones (Rev. 19:17–18); and that the house of Israel will be seven months burying the dead and seven years burning the discarded weapons of war.
Again, that sounds a lot like one of my Cowboys gameday threads. In fact, I can get even bloodier than that if the mood strikes me.

The most compelling argument I have heard about the bible (besides "believe it or burn in hell," that is) is that the bible--or at least parts thereof--is a fascinating document outlining the travails of a horribly oppressed group of people who hung tooth and nail to survival. Survival, that's the key. Everything was about survival. And implicit in the pursuit of survival was that you had to have hope. You had to believe that the tables would one day turn, else why would you fight so hard?

In that respect I admire the bible as a tremendous work of literature. Talk about well written, not to mention the compelling subject matter. But an accounting of the heretofore unimagined Russia or Iran or whoever "comes from the north" a couple millenia from now? Not so sure about that.

I'd like to keep an open mind, so I'm open to other prophecies that have proven true, to establish credence. I already know the answer, though. In the 80's it was the USSR, today it's Russia or Iran or Syria or who knows what, and in the next decade it's going to be whatever. The "last days" are always here and now, aren't they? And hasn't it been that way all this time?

The bible, and all that that entails, seems to be about mankind's nonsoluble problem with the end of his own existence. And it always has been, and it always will be, and it will be remade as necessary insomuch as the geopolitical environment sees fit.

But still and all, you have to hand it to those Israelites. Tough sons-o'-bitches, they were.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:09 AM   #62
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
What did "Gog and Magog" mean to the person(s) who wrote the prophecies? I'm surmising that the names didn't just come out of nowhere.
Unfortunately this has been debate for years. It is noted in the Quaran, the Bible (both new and old testaments), and various other places throughout history. In general, from my interpretation of the bible, it is a superior in size group of people, north of Israel. The only "major" group due north of Israel is Russia. It is also said to be from Roman world, the area that is in the Caucaus mountains either in Georgia or Russia itself.

Most historic places see the land of Gog and Magog as either Eastern European, north of Israel, in Georgia or Russia, or also identified Gog and Magog with the Khazars who lived between the Black and Caspian Seas. All these places reside basically where the USSR was before breaking up.

Quote:
Again, that sounds a lot like one of my Cowboys gameday threads. In fact, I can get even bloodier than that if the mood strikes me.

The most compelling argument I have heard about the bible (besides "believe it or burn in hell," that is) is that the bible--or at least parts thereof--is a fascinating document outlining the travails of a horribly oppressed group of people who hung tooth and nail to survival. Survival, that's the key. Everything was about survival. And implicit in the pursuit of survival was that you had to have hope. You had to believe that the tables would one day turn, else why would you fight so hard?

In that respect I admire the bible as a tremendous work of literature. Talk about well written, not to mention the compelling subject matter. But an accounting of the heretofore unimagined Russia or Iran or whoever "comes from the north" a couple millenia from now? Not so sure about that.

I'd like to keep an open mind, so I'm open to other prophecies that have proven true, to establish credence. I already know the answer, though. In the 80's it was the USSR, today it's Russia or Iran or Syria or who knows what, and in the next decade it's going to be whatever. The "last days" are always here and now, aren't they? And hasn't it been that way all this time?

The bible, and all that that entails, seems to be about mankind's nonsoluble problem with the end of his own existence. And it always has been, and it always will be, and it will be remade as necessary insomuch as the geopolitical environment sees fit.

But still and all, you have to hand it to those Israelites. Tough sons-o'-bitches, they were.
Many prophesies have been fulfilled. You don't need an open mind though, you need an open heart and a relationship. Either the Bible is true, or it isn't. Either the Quaran is true or it isn't. Find a nice quiet place with no distraction where you have time, and ask - you might be surprised. Don't ask others -- just find a quiet place where you are alone and not rushed, and open your heart. Call on the name of Jesus and ask him to show you truth. It just might change your life.

The difference though, is that the Bible has never been proven false. It has withstood the test of time. It has prophesy, that has always become true (though some have yet to be proven true).

Most of the bible is a history lesson. Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. Some of the bible is prophesy. The problem is interpretation.

Now, to the last days part of your statement. You are absolutely correct. Ever since Jesus has left the Earth, some have considered us to be in the last days. In fact, Jesus even gave us a parable about having our oil ready when he comes, so we are too always assume it, and live like it. He also says that no one knows the hour that he is coming back. But we can know the season if we study.

From reading and study, I know that it was prophesied that Jesus will return (hasn't happened yet). I know that it was prophesied that Jerusalem would fall after Jesus was gone, and in 70 AD that happened. It was prophesied that the nation would be spread throughout the world (basically happened until 1947). It was prophesied that they would eventually come back together as a nation.

Isa 27:6 Hee shall cause them that come of Iacob to take roote: Israel shall blossome and budde, and fill the face of the world with fruite.

So yes, some things have happened, an some have not. Is the blossome and bud when they grew during the 6 day war, or is their even more to come? I don't know the answer to that.

Read Luke 21:7-36 though, and it will help you understand a little.

While I agree with you that the bible is a great work of literature, it is so much more than that. You will either understand or not understand eventually.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:55 AM   #63
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbwinn
(I am not at all sure why Dalmations thinks and has said that the US will not help Israel at this time)
I can argue timelines, and such with you, and neither of us ever be able to prove ourselves correct. I will explain why I don't think the US will be helping Israel at that time though.

Luk 21:29 And he spake to them a parable: Behold the fig tree, and all the trees:
Luk 21:30 when they now shoot forth, ye see it and know of your own selves that the summer is now nigh.
Luk 21:31 Even so ye also, when ye see these things coming to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh.
Luk 21:32 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all things be accomplished.

So, we must be in the end times, IMO. Reason being is that Israel is a nation again, and since we have seen these prophesy happen -- the generation will not pass away. What is a generation (70 years, 100 years, etc -- debatable) ...... Is it from Israel becoming a nation (1947), or from the blossom and budding (1967) or is there a further blossoming that will increase the size of Israel, and the date of the start of the generation start then?

I have no idea, I just believe that we are in the season of these fulfillments.

Now as to why I don't think the US will help Israel. I believe that the Lord prophesied that he will deliver Israel with his hand. Not with anyone help. He does it so people will once again know him.

As of right now, if anyone tried to attack Israel, the US would come to the rescue to the best of our ability. Since we are not prophesied about, I am assuming that we have nothing to do with it........ie we don't help Israel. If we did, then many would think that the US saved Israel, instead of the Lord saving them. I just don't see that happening.

** Note, I have read this interpreted several different ways**
Personally, I think Daniel was prophesying about us in Dan 7. That may be past, present, or future though. IMO, The beasts are nations Lion- (sign of England) with Eagles wings -(sign of US) --- PLUCKED (no longer a superpower). Bear - symbol of Russia (Gog and Magog) (my expectation is that they attack Israel and when the Lord intervenes they are no longer a superpower again). Leopard -- my expectation is Middle East conglomeration of countries . Of course the last is the rebuilt Roman empire with the world changes and the Anti-Christ at the helm. Promises peace, etc.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:19 AM   #64
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

Quote:
people have thought for 200 years or more that we were in the last days based on world events matching various prophecies of the last days
people have thought for at least 2000 years that we were living in the last days for the reasons you mentioned... I think it has some thing to do with the "center of the universe" concept of ourselves. Most can't imagine god having enough gall to not plan his most spectacular doings during our own personal lifetimes.

Personally, I am conent to head up to heaven the old-fashioned way, and leave the end-of-the-earth rapture for some distant future generation.
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:14 AM   #65
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsluggo
people have thought for at least 2000 years that we were living in the last days for the reasons you mentioned... I think it has some thing to do with the "center of the universe" concept of ourselves. Most can't imagine god having enough gall to not plan his most spectacular doings during our own personal lifetimes.

Personally, I am conent to head up to heaven the old-fashioned way, and leave the end-of-the-earth rapture for some distant future generation.
Of this we can agree.

I'd rather be at ground zero of a nuclear strike -- dead in microseconds and without even knowing it happened -- than live through some of what is mentioned in Revelations.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:43 PM   #66
Motofoto

Motofoto will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Signed,

The Christians who are fanatically pro-Israel scare me.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mjMRgT5o-Ig
Motofoto is offline   Reply With Quote