Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 09-10-2002, 01:31 AM   #1
AdamAMMP

AdamAMMP is on a distinguished road

We send Van Exel plus fillers for M.Miller and Darrel Armstrong. I for one would do this in a heartbeat. Miller could start at SF (If no Lewis)and Darrel would be a perfect backup for Nash.
Your thoughts??
AdamAMMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2002, 05:30 AM   #2
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

My thought is, why would Orlando trade a player that is probably equal to NVE and throw in Mike Miller to further tilt the trade to the negative. I, also, think Miller recently signed a contract, making him untradeable until December.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 05:46 AM   #3
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Actually Orlando is said to be shopping Mike Miller for quite some time now to clear the spot for TMac / Hill, and Darrell Armstrong is on the block for some time aswell, and he´s getting a little old.

I don´t think Orlando would do it Van Exel for Miller and Armstrong straight, but would want a big guy in addition, likely Wang, if we´re lucky some Eschmeyer.

Still this would be a nice trade for the Mavs IMHO, especially if Lewis signs, since I´d like a bench of D. Armstrong, Mike Miller more than a bench of VanExel
Old 09-10-2002, 10:00 AM   #4
pepperfletch

pepperfletch is on a distinguished road

O town will not want to take on Nicks big contract unless they actually gain something big in return...I know the NBA rules will require the trade to fall within the 115 rule, but either way Nicks pay is just way out of line for that team. Heck I do not believe T Mac or Hill make that much do they?
pepperfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 10:01 AM   #5
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

I think anybody would SJ, which is why the trade feels too good to be true for Dallas. The only thing I can see is that Armstrong has some of the same issues as Nash as far as his legs holding up for an entire season as a starter. So Nash with Armstrong and V. Exel as a starter for Orlando might be a better fit for each team. But I don't see it as enough of a better fit for Orlando for them to throw in Miller. He has more value than that if they are looking to trade him.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 12:24 PM   #6
pepperfletch

Throw in a sign trade for Wang and the Miller part begins to make sense maybe?
Old 09-10-2002, 03:18 PM   #7
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Yeah, actually it might be something like this

VanE, Wang, Future first

for

Miller (who might get an extension soon), Armstrong, a little trash

where trade talks could start.
Old 09-10-2002, 06:20 PM   #8
David
Golden Member

The Magic ALREADY signed Miller to an extension or exercised their option. It will be December before he can be traded. That pretty well nixes the original proposal of this thread, like, I believe, I said in the first place.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

"Friday, August 23, 2002
Miller will stay with Magic through 2004
Associated Press

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The Orlando Magic has exercised its option on forward-guard Mike Miller, meaning he's signed through the 2003-2004 season.

<http://espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/3404.jpg>
Miller

Miller is scheduled to make about $2.7 million next season and $3.4 million the following season.

The Magic had until Oct. 31 to make a decision, but general manager John Gabriel says "it wasn't necessary to wait that long."

Last season, Miller played in 63 games for Orlando. He averaged 15.2 points, 4.3 rebounds and 3.1 assists. He also made over 38 percent of his 3-point tries.

Miller played his college basketball at Florida.

He was Rookie of the Year in 2001 and was the lone unanimous selection to the All-Rookie Team.

The Magic also hired Mark Hughes as an assistant coach and extended the contracts of assistants Dave Wohl, Johnny Davis and Paul Pressey.

Hughes has been head coach of the CBA's Grand Rapids Hoops for six seasons.

Copyright ©2002 ESPN Internet Ventures. Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and Safety Information are applicable to this site. "

Old 09-10-2002, 08:57 PM   #9
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

uhm - disagree.

seems to me that this contract extension does not affect his trade ability since it does not affect this years contract (option for the 03/04 season).
Old 09-10-2002, 09:32 PM   #10
David
Golden Member

Disagree all you want. There is still no reason why the Magic would want NVE's big contract or would want to trade their starting PG and Miller for a guy with Nick's track record, regardless of Miller's contract status.

This trade proposal is one of those, "duh", trade proposals, as in, "I've got a good idea, let's trade our backup PG with the $11M contract for some other teams starting PG and starting SG". Then someone else says, "Duh, that's a good idea." Yeah, it's a GREAT IDEA...for the Mavs, but not for the team that gets screwed in the trade. That's 2 STARTERS for 1 BACKUP with a bad contract. Great trade.
Old 09-10-2002, 09:41 PM   #11
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Actually while Mike is a good player he isnt gonna start for them. Like someone posted Armstrongn is a great pg if he could keep his legs up and thats why he always gets overlooked. I remeber when this guy use to rim rock dunks can he still even dunk now? Its been awhile since ive seen him. I dont konw of course this trade isnt even but if Magic did this trade it doesent make them much worse being they have no backup for Armstrong anymore and NVE could handle the load. Dont see this deal happenin tho but Id do it. Still getting upset that we still havent got any trades for Nick that will help us inside.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 11:10 PM   #12
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

On espn it says wang is looking for a sign and trade most likely for a first round draft pick.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 11:12 PM   #13
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I wish Wang would stay here and develop. I think he has a bright NBA future ahead of him. If not, I hope the Mavs get the bank for him.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 11:44 PM   #14
pepperfletch

You can not sign and trade a BY player for a draft pick has to have a player value in return...