Remember September 11, 2001
God Bless the USA

With the start of training camp just weeks away the rumor mill
is on fire with trades, steals, and grand larceny. The question
grows if this is just window dressing, or some sort of master
plan devised by Cuban, and company

September 14, 2002

Dallas:
It's very true in any business. Interest generates business. The more your product is in the limelight, the more money it generates for the company. It is particularly true in sports. Depending on who advertises your team for you, and how they advertise your team for you determines things like ticket sales, and yes even additions, and subtractions from your team. So is it to anyone's surprise that over the last couple of weeks the rumor mill concerning your "Dallas Maverick's" has begun to catch fire, and gain momentum?

It is common for agent's to spread rumors about players either to strengthen their positions, or to generate interest in teams that may otherwise not be paying attention. It is also common for owners to plan signings, and spread rumors close to when ticket's begin to go on sale, in order to increase sales. This isn't to say that Mr.Cuban, and company are doing that. I would never imply that unless I had otherwise determined that I had just cause to say something. The above suggestions are just to prove the point that their are always good reasons why the rumor mill crank's up closer to the start of training camp. Those are just a couple, but not probable. The real reason is people's anticipation for the start of the new season, in light of how last season ended, and they are wanting some sort of reassurance that this season will end on a better note than last year.

Rashard Lewis:
The wait continues, and the anticipation grows, and still no word as to weather, or not Rashard Lewis will be the next Dallas Mav's.
The wait has made the Maverick's take a wait, and see attitude, and to some it has crippled there opportunities to go after players that have since signed with other teams, I would never think that I could possibly know just how many phone calls to different teams, and receiving offers from other teams the Maverick's field. I'm not that nieve. But what I do know is that Dallas's stance is risky. How long do you wait? Training camp is less than 3 weeks, so just exactly what is the time table? Donnie Nelson has been quoted saying that he has all the time he wants. All the time he want's seems to have a three week grace period before the Nelson gang has to make a decision.

Wang:
If you have had the opportunity to visit different web sites concerning the Maverick's you have seen the many opinions on just what is going to happen to the troubled center. Rumors of a #1 pick to Golden State, to him resigning with Dallas have run ramped. The opinions seem to be split. Half want him to resign, and half want him gone. The Maverick's want some sort of compensation for him either way. To sign him dictates more than just how much money he gets, and a sign and trade is more complicated than just player for player, it also has to do with salary to salary. Which as we all know Dallas is pretty strapped at this point? Not that Wang would command a huge salary which brings me back to the first rumor of a #1 pick for Wang. If he doesn't demand Millions, then is the mere chance that he can generate millions in the Bay area worth a lottery pick. This staff writer doesn't think so, but if Cuban can con Golden State into that then not only is Cuban smarter, and slicker than we all give him credit for, but it will go down as one of the biggest heist since Hershel went to Minnesota.

Bradley;
What do you want Donnie to say: Hey Fish, it doesn't matter how hard he works. He will never have the starting center position full time as long as he is a Dallas Maverick. Of coarse Donnie is going to say he is working harder this year than ever before. They have said that every year since he got here. I am a full fledged member of "The Shawn Bradley Fan Club," but unfortunately in my old age, I have become a realist, and that is because of his frame, he will never dominate anyone, anytime. He is what he is, and that is all he is ever going to be, and unfortunately the Maverick's are stuck with him until his contract is up, or unless some team is stupid enough to aquire his rights. Oh yea, I forgot, Golden State is on the phone......

Eddie:
It is this staff writers opinion that the Eddie saga must come to an end. I have herd from credible emailers that he is in the Mavericks pecking order behind what may be the Lewis signing. If Lewis doesn't sign with in the next week, See Eddie signed, sealed, and delivered the
week before training camp, and then see some sort of movement the week of training camp on Wang. I don't know all the IN's, and out's on
what went on during the negotiations, and why they have dragged on all summer, but it seems to me that it has done a disservice to both parties. Eddie tried the market, which is his right, but at the same time he has waited long enough, and the Mav's probably could have come to this point along time ago, and we wouldn't even be having this conversation. But count on him being in camp on time, and ready.

It is true that interest generates business, and over the last couple of weeks it has defiantly done that. Training camp opens in less than 3 weeks, and tickets are going on sale soon. Rumors are abundant, and basketball couldn't come at a better time. Fall is in the air, and as the floors of the American Airlines Center are polished the smell of "Rowdy Time" is in the air. The rummer mill continues to grow hot, and even though summer is in our rear view mirror, it's still hot in Utopia, and it appears to be getting hotter. What rumors have you herd?

Have a nice Day, and Thanks for playing

Chef Ed
staff writer
www.dallasmavs.net