Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 10-07-2003, 10:07 PM   #1
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Arnold Schwarzenegger - Governor of California

No stories yet but Arnold has been elected Governor.

http://abcnews.go.com/California_Recall/index.html
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2003, 10:09 PM   #2
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Arnold Schwarzenegger - Governor of California

Yep, I'm watching the coverage now.

CNN and the AP are reporting that Governor Gray Davis has been recalled and that Arnold is the projected winner.

Fucking joke.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:14 PM   #3
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

California will rue the day.....

What a sideshow this has become.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:17 PM   #4
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo

California politics have always been a sideshow. Not as interesting of a sideshow as Louisiana politics, but interesting in its own right.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:20 PM   #5
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

This all is just a warm up for the Florida 2004 presidential elections. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2003, 10:30 PM   #6
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

What would you expect from Hollywood?

Nah, actually I'm surprised.

Saddly, Arnold doesn't like Hispanics, and California is also plenty of them.

Let's see how many Monica's arise in the next months. (j/k)

Old 10-07-2003, 10:33 PM   #7
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

No doubt Gray Davis needed to go. If the recall didn't go through, he would have used his remaining days to bury us further.

CA needs a change and the cleanup won't happen overnight, but I can't believe the people just put Arnold in charge of that job.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:36 PM   #8
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Two words: Jesse Ventura.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 10:41 PM   #9
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
Two words: Jesse Ventura.
Jesse did turn out to be a good Governor.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:58 PM   #10
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

sigh

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 11:00 PM   #11
Chiwas
Guru

Quote:
but I can't believe the people just put Arnold in charge of that job.
Why not? He sold publicity during 20 years. His own publicity!

Hardly he will govern. There are real politicians behind him, some that I'm afraid of.

Old 10-07-2003, 11:04 PM   #12
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo

I wonder if people said the same thing when Ronald Reagan was elected Governor of California? Not an h.s.o. - just a thought...

Old 10-07-2003, 11:14 PM   #13
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Arnold didn't even vote in 13 of the last 21 elections. Other than his work with children (if you count that), he has no political background. CA is in a mess and needs someone who knows what their doing.

I'm still stunned he's giving up $30 million dollar paychecks and his mansions around the world to settle down in Sacramento.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:16 PM   #14
Chiwas
Guru

You will love him. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2003, 11:32 PM   #15
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough

hahahahahahahaha. what a joke. there are some pissed people around the dorm, but i just think it's hilarious. i guess that's because i don't really see him as my governor. texas all the way!
Old 10-07-2003, 11:38 PM   #16
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

atta girl - amanda...
Old 10-07-2003, 11:39 PM   #17
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
Arnold didn't even vote in 13 of the last 21 elections. Other than his work with children (if you count that), he has no political background. CA is in a mess and needs someone who knows what their doing.

I'm still stunned he's giving up $30 million dollar paychecks and his mansions around the world to settle down in Sacramento.
That's simply not true MFF!!!! I don't know how you can bring yourself to say Arnold has no political background. What about all the groping of women? That's gotta count for something.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2003, 12:01 AM   #18
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley

That's simply not true MFF!!!! I don't know how you can bring yourself to say Arnold has no political background. What about all the groping of women? That's gotta count for something.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Yes, but only if you're a Democratic nominee for President.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 12:12 AM   #19
LRB
Guru

At least Arnold won't be a governor that will be afraid to flex his political muscles. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

And just think of all the lucky inmates on death row who now have a govenor who's nicknamed the Terminator. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2003, 12:19 AM   #20
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

Well score another governorship for the cast of Predator.

Next thing you know, Carl Weathers will be governor of Pennsylvania and Sonny Landham will be governor of Arizona.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:21 AM   #21
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Dangerous precedent....and now the lawsuits will begin.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:22 AM   #22
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mandyahl
hahahahahahahaha. what a joke. there are some pissed people around the dorm, but i just think it's hilarious. i guess that's because i don't really see him as my governor. texas all the way!
Yep, we don't have to worry because hey, it's California! (giggle)

Old 10-08-2003, 12:23 AM   #23
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: OutletPass
Dangerous precedent....and now the lawsuits will begin.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Lawuits!!!! In California!!! Who ever heard of that? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2003, 01:00 AM   #24
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

What's next? Nothing will surprise me any more.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 01:30 AM   #25
superheadcat

superheadcat is on a distinguished road

ok.

will this affect the signs the fans will bring to aac when kings visit? and how?
Old 10-08-2003, 06:09 AM   #26
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Is it true Davis is the second governor ever to be recalled?

Who was first?
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 06:58 AM   #27
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about

What a disgrace for the state of California. I can't believe the power of celebrity outweighed all his deficiencies. I know we're a celeb-obsessed society, but this is ridiculous.

Ugh.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:25 AM   #28
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

congrats arnold..we're obvsiously very proud of you
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 08:16 AM   #29
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

How many more recalls are we going to see in the next few years. This is something that just tears apart the democratic process.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 08:32 AM   #30
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

from: http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradent...ld/6370443.htm
"The last gubernatorial recall election was in 1921, when North Dakota Gov. Lynn J. Frazier was removed from office."

Since the first recall 82 years ago didn't spark a mass recall frenzy, I don't really see why this one would. Of course, I've heard that some democrats have threatened to recall the recall, but I don't see that happening.

about a newbie elected governor: The extremely experienced professional politicians have not done a good job with that state.

about recall and the democratic process: Davis was voted out. If more politicians thought that there was actually a possibility that they could lose their job for doing a bad job in office instead of for doing a bad job promoting themselves, politics would work a lot better in this country.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 08:34 AM   #31
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

Way to go Terminator!
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:12 PM   #32
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Being a Governor is Hard

• SEPTEMBER 18, 2008
Schwarzenegger Delays
Veto in Budget Battle

By JIM CARLTON

A standoff over California's budget stretched into a second day Wednesday, as lawmakers met to ponder their next move while Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger held off on carrying out his promise to veto their spending plan.

The governor Tuesday had said he would veto a $104.3 billion general-fund budget passed by the state legislature that day, saying it failed to incorporate needed fiscal overhauls that could be used to help close future shortfalls. In response, legislative leaders threatened to override the governor's veto with the same two-thirds vote they needed to approve it.

But on Wednesday, word began spreading through the Sacramento statehouse that Gov. Schwarzenegger wouldn't make the veto until Friday, potentially giving lawmakers time to amend their budget to his satisfaction. Some lawmakers seemed uncertain what to do, as several put calls in to the governor's office and waited for a response.

"I'm trying to find out what the governor wants to do," said state Sen. Richard Ackerman, a member of the Republican minority, which held up passage of the budget for nearly three months by opposing a proposed tax boost by the governor and Democratic majority.

Unable to use higher taxes to help close an estimated $15.2 billion deficit for the fiscal year that began July 1, California's legislators cobbled together a plan that relies heavily on spending cuts and accelerated payment of next year's taxes on individuals and businesses. Although Republicans signed off on the overall spending plan, none voted for the acceleration of roughly $3 billion in taxes.

Gov. Schwarzenegger doesn't necessarily need to resort to a veto to cripple the budget, lawmakers noted. He could sign the plan but then remove funding mechanisms like the accelerated tax that don't have enough votes to survive a veto.

"The wise thing for him to do now is sign the budget, but blue-pencil the [accelerated] taxes," said Mike Villines, Republican minority leader in the Assembly. Mr. Villines added that he and other Republicans who voted for the budget did so only because the state's fiscal crisis was worsening without one. "We literally have dialysis that isn't happening for people that need it, because of this," Mr. Villines said.

Much hangs in the balance for the nation's most populous state. Gov. Schwarzenegger has threatened to veto "hundreds of bills" sitting on his desk if the legislature overrides a budget veto. That could trigger even more gridlock in the state.

For now, even some of the governor's supporters are urging him to back down and support the budget. State Assemblyman Fabian Nunez -- who had brokered several high-profile deals with the governor as the assembly speaker until this year -- said he hoped the governor would sign off on the budget, though he understands the veto threat. Mr. Nunez said the current legislative leaders should have worked more closely with Gov. Schwarzenegger to come up with a budget that he could stomach. "I wouldn't have done it that way," he said.

—Justin Scheck contributed to this article.Write to Jim Carlton at jim.carlton@wsj.com

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 09-18-2008 at 03:28 PM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:43 PM   #33
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

genius!
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote