Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-24-2008, 05:25 PM   #41
Burn this City

Burn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really nice

I'm pretty sure I could build a D-League dynasty with Barea as my PG...
Old 10-24-2008, 06:06 PM   #42
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

I am afraid I view this as seri-ous knee jerking. Barea has come back for one game after an injury. He's never going to be a great defender (maybe not even a good defender) and he's too short.

But the coaching staff must like something in him--more than the other candidates for back up point guard. He can push the ball, shoot, and he's fearless. So there is something to like.

I'd like to wait a bit--at least ten games into the season--before concluding that he can't play.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:05 PM   #43
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
He can run and dribble the ball at the same time...
I agree with you...he SHOULD be teaching at a Mavs hoop summer camp.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:37 PM   #44
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iella View Post
I assume the reason no one has commented on this is because you're all too busy writhing in agony:

Barea set to be Dallas Mavericks' backup point guard
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.3db1494.html
This will come back to haunt us...
LSMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:39 PM   #45
KiddNPlay
Banned

KiddNPlay will become famous soon enoughKiddNPlay will become famous soon enough

So the roster is down to 14. Who will take #15? Dennis Rodman? Roy Tarpley? I know we can bring in one such talent!

Seriously, who'll be the 15th player?

How I rank the Mavericks players from 1 to 14 as I'd assign minutes:

1. Jason Kidd (needs to play every minute possible at this position)
2. Dirk Nowitzki (MVP Power Forward)
3. Josh Howard (needs consistency)
4. Jason Terry (key boost off the bench)
5. Jerry Stackhouse (best swingman off the bench)
6. DeSagana Diop (should receive the better half of the minutes at Center)
7. Erick Dampier (needs to put up one of his top 3 seasons)
8. Antoine Wright (needs to keep the Mavericks from shopping elsewhere at Shooting Guard)
9. Brandon Bass (only this low since Dirk Nowitzki starts and Diop is back)
10. Gerald Greene (possibly the next Brandon Bass find for the Mavericks)
11. J.J. Barea (with the current roster)
12. Devean George (can provide a boost at the end of games; not much else)
13. Shawne Williams (nice guy to have around if a bigger body gets injured)
14. James Singleton (nice guy to have around if Shawne Williams cannot play)

I really want to see Williams on the 12 man roster instead of George since he's a young talent that needs time to play and develop. Any minutes spent on George will just be a waste. I am very excited about what Williams and Greene will do on this team. I also hope that Terry will keep Barea from even being the #11 guy in minutes and down to #12 instead.
KiddNPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:04 PM   #46
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
I agree with you...he SHOULD be teaching at a Mavs hoop summer camp.
Yes... afterwards the team will face an alltime low
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:31 AM   #47
stewartj

stewartj has a spectacular aura aboutstewartj has a spectacular aura aboutstewartj has a spectacular aura about

My problem with JJ as the backup point is that Terry then splits time with Wright, Stack, Green, and everyone else at the 2. If Terry and Stack each get just 18 min a game, Green and Wright will be forced to split the remaining 12. No one will be able to get into rhythm, and the young players won't have any kind of meaningful minutes to develop. If you give Terry some of JJ's minutes at the point, this opens up more time for the higher potential players in Wright and Green.

JJ seems like a poor man's Earl Boykins and we could just go get Earl Boykins.

Last edited by stewartj; 10-25-2008 at 10:33 AM. Reason: formatting
stewartj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 03:37 PM   #48
KiddNPlay
Banned

KiddNPlay will become famous soon enoughKiddNPlay will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartj View Post
My problem with JJ as the backup point is that Terry then splits time with Wright, Stack, Green, and everyone else at the 2. If Terry and Stack each get just 18 min a game, Green and Wright will be forced to split the remaining 12. No one will be able to get into rhythm, and the young players won't have any kind of meaningful minutes to develop. If you give Terry some of JJ's minutes at the point, this opens up more time for the higher potential players in Wright and Green.

JJ seems like a poor man's Earl Boykins and we could just go get Earl Boykins.
Agreed. I like J.J., but his place on the Mavericks should be the IR.

Then he and James Singleton can be where they belong. I still believe that I prefer Shawne Williams over James Singleton at least on the starting 12. In fact, I think I prefer both of them over Devean George really, but George will be there as long as he is healthy.
KiddNPlay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
predictions