Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-14-2008, 06:24 AM   #1
cinemablend

cinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to all
Default Donnie Nelson needs to be fired

I know he's done some good things in the past... but that past is getting further and further away and for years now he has failed to make any moves which have significantly improved this team in any way. Meanwhile he has given away the Mavs future.

This past offseason was the most unforivable. This "we love our team" garbage has doomed this team.

If Mark is half the owner he's supposed to be, he pretends to be, and we want to think he is, Donnie needs to be fired. Tonight. Now.
cinemablend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2008, 06:27 AM   #2
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all

agreed.

this has been the case since he brought in ager and told us he is god.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:31 AM   #3
cinemablend

cinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to all

The question is does Mark Cuban see it? Or is he so blinded by loyalty to his staff and his players that he's letting it all sink.
cinemablend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:33 AM   #4
dangirwin

dangirwin has a spectacular aura aboutdangirwin has a spectacular aura about

Or...this is a salary dump year and Cuban will not come out and admit it.

Cuban has abandoned his team.

d
Old 11-14-2008, 07:51 AM   #5
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangirwin View Post
Or...this is a salary dump year and Cuban will not come out and admit it.

Cuban has abandoned his team.

d
fair point..

maybe he is trying to save money and get back into it in 2011..

im not saying its a bad plan..
Old 11-14-2008, 07:57 AM   #6
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

dammit horse
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:13 AM   #7
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with this 110%. I'm tired of all the denial bs that the FO keeps feeding us. Donnie seems to have somehow implanted himself free of blame from anything since noone really knows exactly what he does. He gets good young prospects but sucks otherwise. The lack of making a trade this summer was it for me. He said the exact same thing the summer before because GS was "a perfect storm"....Welp, all that ooey, gooey, talkin the team up doesn't mean squat to season ticket holders like me who care about one thing....winning.

2-6.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Diop is starting to look like a bust. I'd prefer Pietrus's 13.4 ppg at 50% shooting and 40% from the three. I mean I know Diop is offensively challenged but 35% from the field is inexcusable.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 11-14-2008 at 09:18 AM.
DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:51 AM   #8
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

I can't believe I'm saying this, but your throwing of Donnie under the bus is a knee jerk reaction. The job Donnie has done is remarkable. Look at the Mavs record over his tenure. Last year it looked like he mortgaged the future for Jkidd, and then he lands Jr.G who many of you have sadly underrated and last years #1 from Indy. That's called moving into the lottery while retaining contender status two consecutive years. The team right now is more poised to move forward than when we had Devin. I for one am in awe of the moves Donnie has made and know that he will make a move this year to strengthen the team for a playoff push. It's possible that he could move pieces for draft picks (jet,howard,bass) but I'm banking against it. I've learned this off season to trust the Mavs BT. If you want to blame someone blame the players after all they are the ones playing the game.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:52 AM   #9
destroy ALL

destroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nice

we need to hire Big Nellie again.
destroy ALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:58 AM   #10
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Between what former coaches say and what Cuban says, I'm not sure it is clear cut who's fault is what. You can probably make the case that Cuban needs to go in the same way that the Raiders Al Davis needs to go. Overall, the leadership needs to change. If not Cuban, then probably Donnie.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:04 AM   #11
Darth Ape
Banned

Darth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to behold

The great run of the late nineties / early 2000 was due to smart personel decisions made primarily by Don Nelson. As we all know, Cuban ran him out of town because Cuban apparently wanted more control.

Since big Nelson's power was taken away from him (which I estimate at around the time Cuban let Nash walk without consulting with is staff), this team as made terrible decision after terrible decision. They were able to coast a while, simply because Dirk is just that good. But it's finally catching up to them.

Letting Nash go, cutting Finley, making an insane future crippling move for Erik Dampier... these were all moves made by the owner. Cuban is the one with the real power here. He's the one who's team you see before you.

I think it's time to face the facts. Cuban is a good marketer, but a terrible personnel guy. He needs to step back and let the basketball guys run his team for him.
Darth Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:43 AM   #12
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsanctuary View Post
I can't believe I'm saying this, but your throwing of Donnie under the bus is a knee jerk reaction. The job Donnie has done is remarkable. Look at the Mavs record over his tenure. Last year it looked like he mortgaged the future for Jkidd, and then he lands Jr.G who many of you have sadly underrated and last years #1 from Indy. That's called moving into the lottery while retaining contender status two consecutive years. The team right now is more poised to move forward than when we had Devin. I for one am in awe of the moves Donnie has made and know that he will make a move this year to strengthen the team for a playoff push. It's possible that he could move pieces for draft picks (jet,howard,bass) but I'm banking against it. I've learned this off season to trust the Mavs BT. If you want to blame someone blame the players after all they are the ones playing the game.
Mine isn't a knee-jerk. I said to fire him over the summer as well.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote