Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-10-2009, 02:03 AM   #241
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
Why even talk about trading Josh?

No one wants our garbage.

No one.

It's not going to happen, and it never was, even if he didn't "get hurt"

The thing about trades...the other team has to be interested. We have absolute crap to trade. Time to start playing smarter with what we've got because it's what we got.
I disagree. Josh has value. Its debatable how much. But your fooling yourself if you don't think a team would take Josh Howard. Problem is, we may receive half the player Josh is in return. I don't think Josh is who we trade though for that simple fact. If the Mavs are going to make a trade there going to have to make a decision on Jason Kidd. I think he's the only valuable asset this team has right now aside of Dirk and JET.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2009, 02:47 AM   #242
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

I hate losing but I really hate losing to the Suns of all teams, I think when Rick Carlisle see's that he can't play Dirk at center then we will be better off, I know I bash Avery alot but he knew how to use the players on this team, anyway the only person I could see getting trade on this team is Jason Kidd because he has the best value and huge expiring contracts.

I'm not getting upset beacuse this is just one game and the season is long but I do hope that the Mavs FO atleast try to do something to help this team..........a center that can score like Brad Miller would be nice but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I just hope peolpe don't try to blame this lose on Howard like they do all the time beacuse the entire team lose this game not Howard.
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:28 AM   #243
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas86 View Post
I just hope people don't try to blame this lose on Howard like they do all the time because the entire team lose this game not Howard.
Josh is this year's main man to blame. Someones has to fill that role. Stack isn't playing, George isn't playing much, and Avery is gone, so Josh it is.

I am not sure how much worse he is playing now compared to previous years when nobody complained about him or how much the blame he receives has to do with his off-court mishaps.

Two other players who have disappointed me so far are Bass and Diop. Bass doesn't live up to the expectations he created last year, it seems he has regressed a little bit, or maybe I am not looking closely enough. Diop seems not the same after returning from New Jersey. Has his confidence been affected by the trades?

And what about Coach? However you look at it, it doesn't look like Avery would have done worse this season. And why are so few people questioning Carlisle the way Avery was questioned last year?

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”

Last edited by twelli; 01-10-2009 at 03:29 AM.
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:30 AM   #244
antoinewalker
Golden Member

antoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the rough

does dampier even try to play defense against shaq? shaq was having a field day out there.
antoinewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:28 AM   #245
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

Mavs haven't looked impressive all year... we haven't had a truly well played game since Portland except for the Clips but that was w/o Dirk and again... its the Clippers.

The teams problems are numerous. Josh is one of them but he is not the primary problem.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:31 AM   #246
blessednegr0

blessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of light

again.... like another poster said.... why isnt gerald green playing?
blessednegr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:34 AM   #247
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Brandon Bass got absolutely shredded in the third quarter last night. That was painful to watch.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:34 AM   #248
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
Yes he played. And he sucked like:

a) Hoover Vacuum Cleaner

b) a 3 dollar ho

c) black hole

d) Josh Howard vortex

And the answer would be: d! Tell him what he has won Johnny!?! Well, Chum has won an all expense paid trip to Josh Howard Howard's "Basketball Camp" and an Avery Johnson autographed book! Thank you for playing and have a great time.
Why does Damp only show up when he wants to? His inconsistencies are so effin annoying. I just don't get how you can pull down 14 rebounds one game and play like donkey piss the next. Get yer damn head and effort into the game!

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:39 AM   #249
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Brandon Bass got absolutely shredded in the third quarter last night. That was painful to watch.
As bad as he was, Dirk, Kidd and Terry all had worse +/-. Those three combined for a cataclysmic -78.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 01-10-2009 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:30 AM   #250
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
As bad as he was, Dirk, Kidd and Terry all had worse +/-. Those three combined for a cataclysmic -78.
That was because Kidd, and Dirk didn't pplay the 4th quarter when it was garbage time.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:54 AM   #251
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
That was because Kidd, and Dirk didn't pplay the 4th quarter when it was garbage time.
Eh still...ok lets take the 4th quarter away and what, -60? lol

Tired of excuses for this team.

Will the real Dallas Mavericks please stand up?

Old 01-10-2009, 09:58 AM   #252
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Eh still...ok lets take the 4th quarter away and what, -60? lol

Tired of excuses for this team.

I was just pointing out that Bass didn't play that well. The +/- numbers were really skewed that game. No one really played well.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:00 AM   #253
TNT

TNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to all

mavs didn't have any defence last night. It was so awful to watch.
TNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:15 AM   #254
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

The Mavs ARE who we thought they were...Nothing has changed. Everyone has seen it and talked about it, and now seems puzzled that we got beat like that? Then want to blame it on the ONLY guy who competed last night against those horses out there from the Suns...
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:22 AM   #255
basketballgirl25
Banned

basketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
maybe they should play the song The Real Slim Shady before a game to make them play better

you know I had to say this just because the lyrics to that song are

Will the real Slim Shady please stand up?
basketballgirl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:51 AM   #256
Bayliss

Quote:
The Mavs ARE who we thought they were...Nothing has changed. Everyone has seen it and talked about it, and now seems puzzled that we got beat like that? Then want to blame it on the ONLY guy who competed last night against those horses out there from the Suns...
And who exactly "competed" last night?

Last edited by Bayliss; 01-10-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:02 AM   #257
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

I think we know very well what the Mavs are!
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:53 PM   #258
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

That was so painful to watch. I kept expecting someone to step up but no one did.

Any news on Howard?
Old 01-10-2009, 01:10 PM   #259
destroy ALL

destroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nice

the suns are gonna be pretty scary come playoff time. the addition of j-rich and barnes were amazing.
destroy ALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:38 PM   #260
cowdog80

cowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroy ALL View Post
the suns are gonna be pretty scary come playoff time. the addition of j-rich and barnes were amazing.
I'm not buying it. Their best line-up still has 3 terrible defenders (shaq, amare, nash), 1 mediocre one (richardson), and 1 above average defender who is injury prone (Hill). Richardson came at the expense of their best perimeter defender over the past 3 years (albeit that he may have lost a step).

They're still only 2+ days removed from losing to the Pacers at home.

On a given night, they can put together a show like they did last night. Although a lot of that was just the Mavs laying an egg. There's not a team in the league that wouldn't have scored 115 last night with the matador defense Dallas was playing. But I still think that they're first round fodder unless they can get into that 4 seed (in which place they'll be second round fodder). In a 7 game series, I don't see them being a threat to the Lakers, Spurs, or Hornets.

It should also be noted that the Suns schedule is about to get amped up significantly.

Last edited by cowdog80; 01-10-2009 at 01:39 PM.
cowdog80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:23 PM   #261
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog80 View Post
On a given night, they can put together a show like they did last night. Although a lot of that was just the Mavs laying an egg. There's not a team in the league that wouldn't have scored 115 last night with the matador defense Dallas was playing. But I still think that they're first round fodder unless they can get into that 4 seed (in which place they'll be second round fodder). In a 7 game series, I don't see them being a threat to the Lakers, Spurs, or Hornets.

It should also be noted that the Suns schedule is about to get amped up significantly.
What you are saying about the Suns sounds like it applies to the Mavs as well.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 01-10-2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:31 PM   #262
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad I missed this one.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:11 PM   #263
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

The Suns aren't scary. They still don't play defense and don't rebound. if they play like they did last night every night they'd be the best team in the NBA... but more often than not they won't shoot over 60%, they won't committ so few turnovers, Shaq wouldn't make all his FT's, and they wouldn't limit the opponents fast break points...

Last night was a combination of the mavs playing really bad and the Suns playing really well.

SO it's now 5 times in the past 6 games that the Mavs have been outscored by 20+ in an in game stretch. Twice in these last 6 games the Mavs have been outscored by 30+ in an in game stretch. That's just terrible basketball and means your offense and defense are not efficient.

Oh the torture of being a Mavs fan right now. Thinking what could've been... what if Bennett Salvatore swallows his whistle and Wade misses one of those bullshit fluky jump shots? What if the Clippers win a few more games and get the 8th seed instead of the Warriors?

And now we just look so terribly mediocre. It's amazing that the core of a team that won 67 games 2 years ago has remained RELATIVELY intact and this is what we're seeing. It's like the NBA took steroids, or we just regressed that badly.

I love Dirk, but this roster isn't deep enough to mask the fact that in the playoffs we will likely run into teams with a better player. Dirk's failed to make an imprint the last 3 playoff series... we don't have enough scoring, defense, or depth to offset the fact that if we run into the Spurs, Lakers, and Hornets they will have the best player in the series who is more likely to make his mark on the series.

Dirk is a 1.5 option, if he's the 2nd best player on a team that team wouldbe scary as hell... if he's the best player on the team that team needs to have a finely tuned roster with defense and plenty of scoring options. Our defense is mediocre and we only have 3players who score in double figures. The holes of our roster are obvious when we have so many gimmick lineups like Singleton/Bass playing center or Barea playing shooting guard or the 3 guard lineup.

I'm usually an optimistic person. Last year after teh Kidd trade for the most part our losses were close and we were blowing out the lottery teams... which made me feel we were almost there... now I see how the Cavs, Celtics, Lakers are playing and I see how the Mavs are playing and I can't even imagine us beating any of these teams in a 7 game series without homecurt.. and throw in 3-4 other teams as well.

This teams only chance is to get the 2nd seed IMO... don't think we're good enough to do that and we're not good enough to win 3-4 series without HCA either... and HCA may not even mean much as we've struggled against bad teams at home and lost to good teams at home. GOD DAMMIT GOD DAMMIT GOD DAMMIT.

*sigh*.

Last edited by ghazi; 01-10-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:22 PM   #264
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazi View Post
The Suns aren't scary. They still don't play defense and don't rebound. if they play like they did last night every night they'd be the best team in the NBA... but more often than not they won't shoot over 60%, they won't committ so few turnovers, Shaq wouldn't make all his FT's, and they wouldn't limit the opponents fast break points...

Last night was a combination of the mavs playing really bad and the Suns playing really well.

SO it's now 5 times in the past 6 games that the Mavs have been outscored by 20+ in an in game stretch. Twice in these last 6 games the Mavs have been outscored by 30+ in an in game stretch. That's just terrible basketball and means your offense and defense are not efficient.

Oh the torture of being a Mavs fan right now. Thinking what could've been... what if Bennett Salvatore swallows his whistle and Wade misses one of those bullshit fluky jump shots? What if the Clippers win a few more games and get the 8th seed instead of the Warriors?

And now we just look so terribly mediocre. It's amazing that the core of a team that won 67 games 2 years ago has remained RELATIVELY intact and this is what we're seeing. It's like the NBA took steroids, or we just regressed that badly.

I love Dirk, but this roster isn't deep enough to mask the fact that in the playoffs we will likely run into teams with a better player. Dirk's failed to make an imprint the last 3 playoff series... we don't have enough scoring, defense, or depth to offset the fact that if we run into the Spurs, Lakers, and Hornets they will have the best player in the series who is more likely to make his mark on the series.

Dirk is a 1.5 option, if he's the 2nd best player on a team that team wouldbe scary as hell... if he's the best player on the team that team needs to have a finely tuned roster with defense and plenty of scoring options. Our defense is mediocre and we only have 3players who score in double figures. The holes of our roster are obvious when we have so many gimmick lineups like Singleton/Bass playing center or Barea playing shooting guard or the 3 guard lineup.

I'm usually an optimistic person. Last year after teh Kidd trade for the most part our losses were close and we were blowing out the lottery teams... which made me feel we were almost there... now I see how the Cavs, Celtics, Lakers are playing and I see how the Mavs are playing and I can't even imagine us beating any of these teams in a 7 game series without homecurt.. and throw in 3-4 other teams as well.

This teams only chance is to get the 2nd seed IMO... don't think we're good enough to do that and we're not good enough to win 3-4 series without HCA either... and HCA may not even mean much as we've struggled against bad teams at home and lost to good teams at home. GOD DAMMIT GOD DAMMIT GOD DAMMIT.

*sigh*.
Honestly, I'm tired of the Finals stuff, it's in the past...nothing is changing, just let it go.

I don't agree with the Dirk = 1.5 talk. I think you said it yourself, this team doesn't have enough to go with it so that drags Dirk from a natural 1/stud into a worn-out, easy to peg down player. If he's getting doubled, the smart thing to do is find the open man and attack that way, our guys just need to be able to execute and make them pay. If they make them pay they'll live with it or adjust...either way, the defense will suffer.

I think we're sticking with what we've got for way too long. The only fault I have with the on-court addition of Kidd is he doesn't shoot enough...boo hoo. He does enough with passing, defense, and etc to make up for that fact. Otherwise with the roster, it's overdue but the FO needs to Man Up and grow a set and make some hard to swallow moves.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:23 PM   #265
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

The Suns had 68 points in the paint. That's why their FG% was so high.

Quote:
What if the Clippers win a few more games and get the 8th seed instead of the Warriors?
It was actually more likely that the Lakers move down to 8th, rather than the Clippers moving up. Of course, that was when we wanted to face the Lakers.

Quote:
Devin is gone, which hurts the most. Josh has regressed, Diop has regressed, Stack is gone. Hell, Griffin used to give us the hustle plays we now get from Kidd. The only ones that can still bring it at the same level are Dirk, Jet, and Damp.

Quote:
Dirk kicked some serious tail against the Hornets. But nobody else did a damn thing.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:33 PM   #266
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
Dirk kicked some serious tail against the Hornets. But nobody else did a damn thing.
Bass.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:43 PM   #267
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, Bass did a damn thing.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:46 PM   #268
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dirk is a 1.5 option, if he's the 2nd best player on a team that team wouldbe scary as hell... if he's the best player on the team that team needs to have a finely tuned roster with defense and plenty of scoring options.

*sigh*.
I've got to comment on this, too. You could say the same about just about everyone in the league. The Lakers were crap when they had only Kobe, they were only a bit better than crap when they added Bynum and Odom. They were not great till they had Gasol, too. You could say the same about Peirce, Garnett, and Allen in Boston. Don't forget also how well Shaq played in the Dallas/Miami finals. DWhistle and the refs grabbed all the headlines, but the refs would not have been in a position to give them the series if the role players on Miami didn't step up to play above their heads. Heck, even JWill looked like Steve Kerr at times during that series. That Miami team that won the series had as many options as the Dallas team did before they started getting whistled for breathing too forcefully.

Every team with a legitimate #1 is scary as hell if you add more high-caliber players. And every team with a legitimate #1 still needs the entire team to click on all cyliners to win it all.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:00 PM   #269
BGMaverick9
Guru

That is why I still never get why Dirk gets ripped as much as he does. Guys like what we have are nice, but they're not the best we could have to go with Dirk. So like I said in earlier, he has to run out of the phone booth with the cape on night in and night out and do everything he can. There are nights where that's going to catch up to him and that's fine, that's why it's a team sport...the teammates need to pick up the slack.

That's why I say we need to make a deal or two, we're still pieces short of where we need to be.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:38 PM   #270
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
Devin is gone, which hurts the most. Josh has regressed, Diop has regressed, Stack is gone. Hell, Griffin used to give us the hustle plays we now get from Kidd. The only ones that can still bring it at the same level are Dirk, Jet, and Damp.
The problem with Damp is that his level isn't even high enough to begin with. He hardly ever shows up in a big game.

So that leaves us with Dirk and Jet as the only two consistently high level players on the team. And frankly, Jet being at the level he is at right now is a big luxury.

Still, I think it shows the roster needs a bigger over-hall than I thought. I was thinking one player might be a quick fix, but I don't know anymore. The team looks effortless and heartless lately. Hope I'm wrong.

Go Mavs, sigh.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 01-10-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:38 PM   #271
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
The problem with Damp is that his level isn't even high enough to begin with. He hardly ever shows up in a big game.

So that leaves us with Dirk and Jet as the only two consistently high level players on the team. And frankly, Jet being at the level he is at right now is a big luxury.

Still, I think it shows the roster needs a bigger over-hall than I thought. I was thinking one player might be a quick fix, but I don't know anymore. The team looks effortless and heartless lately. Hope I'm wrong.

Go Mavs, sigh.
Just saying Damp is about on the same level as he was before. If the goal is to resurrect the '06 team, there's only three guys left that are producing at the same level as before.

(For future reference, the word is "overhaul".)
Old 01-11-2009, 12:21 AM   #272
ghazi
Platinum Member

"Heart" is overrated. And I don't think the Mavs woes are a matter of effort, it's just talent. We've put forth alot of "effort" in our close wins... it wasn't that we weren't trying that those games against lottery teams were close... we're just not good enough.

There's nothing great we can say about the Mavs as far as winning a championship. A few years ago we could say we were elite offensively and elite at rebounding the basketball, and pretty damn good at playing defense. Now, we can't say any of that. We can't even say we have a formidable PAIR of forwards with the way Josh Howard is now and days. We can't say we get to the line alot cause we don't anymore. We're not lethal from behind the arc anymore. We can't say anything... all we can say is "Dirk"... and the Lakers can say Kobe... Hornets Paul... Magic Dwight... Spurs DUncan... Cleveland James... all of those teams have a better superstar, a better roster, and better defensive and offensive efficiency.

The ONLY thing we can say we're the best at is shooting long 2 point jump shots... and that's actually not a good thing.

Jeez, we could probably have everyone in our core playing at a high level and consistent play from 2-3 players off the bench and it still wouldn't be enough.

I dunno, go Mavs I guess.bb
Old 01-11-2009, 12:55 AM   #273
BGMaverick9
Guru

Going into today, we're 2nd in the league in rebounding...
Old 01-11-2009, 02:21 AM   #274
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

This game dropped us from 4th in the league in field goal defense to 7th.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:30 AM   #275
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

Just a brief review of our statistical rankings:

Points Allowed: 97.8, 14th overall
Point Differential: +1.8, 13th overall
Field Goal Percentage: 45.1%, 17th overall
Field Goal Defense: 44.2%, 7th overall
3pt Percentage: 34%, 23rd overall
3pt Defense: 34%, 8th overall
Free Throw Percentage: 80.4%, 4th overall
Rebounding Percentage: .508, 8th overall
Turnovers: 13.3, 6th overall
Opposition Turnovers: 12.9, 27th overall
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:51 AM   #276
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Quote:
"Heart" is overrated. And I don't think the Mavs woes are a matter of effort, it's just talent. We've put forth alot of "effort" in our close wins... it wasn't that we weren't trying that those games against lottery teams were close... we're just not good enough.
Houston, without two of their starters, beat the Knicks by 20. That's how it's supposed to be if you are a quality team. Beat the weaker teams by a healthy margin and have close battles with the big teams.

I am afraid the Mavs are following the Kings into mediocrity, a team not really bad but ending up 8th or 9th in the standings.

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”

Last edited by twelli; 01-11-2009 at 02:52 AM.
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:25 AM   #277
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
I disagree. Have you been watching the games against crappy teams recently? The effort is absolutely not where it should be. The Mavericks should never be down by 29 against the Wolves who we massively out-talent.

And barely beating the Clippers the two home games we played against them?

And the Grizzly debacle?

Do you not agree that we have more talent than those teams?

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 01-11-2009 at 05:27 AM.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:14 PM   #278
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
And who exactly "competed" last night?
Come on Skip, you know the answer to that one I know it does not bold well here to praise Howard, but that game he was the ONLY one who tried to compete out there against the Suns.
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:47 PM   #279
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballgirl25 View Post
maybe they should play the song The Real Slim Shady before a game to make them play better

you know I had to say this just because the lyrics to that song are

Will the real Slim Shady please stand up?

FYI: You are the green dinosaur. I am the guy giving you the beat down.

Last edited by MavsX; 01-14-2009 at 12:48 PM.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:47 PM   #280
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i hate this new vBulletin

Last edited by MavsX; 01-14-2009 at 12:48 PM.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
consistently inconsistent, embarrassing, epic fail, gdt 08/09, pops?, whale killer