Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-25-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default The state of this board...

I am truly amazed at how flat out stupid some of you people are in this thread. How freaking long have you guys watched the game of basketball..but you still have no concept of how the game works? Are many of you truly that stupid? Do you have no concept of strategy? Do you not understand that the Spurs main goal is to limit Dirk because they know that if they cover him with one man, he's likely to go for 30-40 a night?...They believe that their only chance to win is to sell out on Dirk and make someone else beat them. And guess what?.. Rick Carlisle believes that the rest of the team can beat the Spurs with limited point production from Dirk when the Spurs sell out on Nowitzki.

So, the Mavs allow the Spurs to sell out and Dirk and play into the Spurs strategy simply because Carlisle believes that it is faulty.

Honestly, there probably isn't much that the Spurs could do to win this series. But, they're placing their defensive eggs into the slowing down dirk basket. The Mavs are ok with that. Dirk is ok with that. They're not forcing things offensively. They're ok with Dirk drawing the double and making the pass. They're ok with Dirk causing defenders to cheat an extra step his way even when he doesn't have the ball. That is fine with him and it is fine with the Mavs. It's just a shame that many fans aren't smart enough to realize what the hell is going on.

Many of you have posted on this board for how long?... and you're still that much of a basketball idiot?

Even though Dirk put up only 12 points, do you understand just how important he was to the outcome of this game with what he did on the offensive side of the ball? No, I didn't think you did.

Was Dirk perfect? Far from it. He made a couple mistakes. But, him accepting taking a back seat just shows how much of a team player he is. He doesn't care about the stats. He's fine with only 9 shots if it means he makes things much easier for everyone else. What more could you ask?

Last edited by Murphy3; 04-25-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Having a guy who attracts that much attention is always important. However he also has to (imo) be more aggressive than he was tonight, especially when there isn't a guy waiting behind his men. Or at least put more pressure on the defender. I thought he was too passive tonight. I don't expect dirk to put it on the floor like a point guard, but when a guy is up in his grill, he can get around him.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:46 PM   #3
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Murphy3 again.

If you had told me before the series that we would need to rely on our bench to step up against the Spurs to win games, I would have been very sad. This has been so fun to watch as a result.

Is this ghost ball??

Last edited by DirkFTW; 04-25-2009 at 09:47 PM.
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:47 PM   #4
Chicken Diavlo

Chicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really nice

Hey man... we're winning. Crack open a beer and relax bro. The idiots will always still be idiots.

Last edited by Chicken Diavlo; 04-25-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Chicken Diavlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:57 PM   #5
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad Dirk isn't forcing it like he did against the Warriors, but he needs to be more aggressive and finish those drives rather than kick them out -> turn it over.

But hey, we're winning so who cares. If we can beat the Spurs with JET and Dirk not up to their normal standards, we could have a chance against LA if we click on all cylinders.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:01 PM   #6
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I think there's a middle of the road. I think Dirk needs to be slightly more aggressive than he was today. He needs to make them pay a little for bodying up on him.

However, anyone saying Dirk played "horrible" or didn't give full effort is basketball ignorant. Dirk is 7 feet tall. If they're going to sell out and run two guys at him, which they did the majority of this game, then Dirk is going to have to swing the ball and let others make the Spurs pay. And they did tonight.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:12 PM   #7
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

btw, jthig, in case you missed it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
jthig (and bg.. and others) -

It's my pleasure to admit that you were right and I was wrong.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:18 PM   #8
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
jthig (and bg.. and others) - It's my pleasure to admit that you were right and I was wrong.
Isn't there supposed to be more to this line?

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:51 PM   #9
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

The next reach-around you give him, remind him that it's the playoffs.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:24 PM   #10
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I talked about this in BG's recap thread, but Murphy is just a little more eccentric about it

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:36 PM   #11
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Having a guy who attracts that much attention is always important. However he also has to (imo) be more aggressive than he was tonight, especially when there isn't a guy waiting behind his men. Or at least put more pressure on the defender. I thought he was too passive tonight. I don't expect dirk to put it on the floor like a point guard, but when a guy is up in his grill, he can get around him.
I agree with all of this.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:35 AM   #12
Blackspider972

Blackspider972 has a spectacular aura aboutBlackspider972 has a spectacular aura about

Yea the Spurs are playing him tough, but there are times when he needs to put the ball on the floor and drive the ball instead of pulling up for long jumpers. I want him to be more aggressive like he did at the very end of the game when he drove to the basket and laid it in and basically sealed the game.

I don't think he's having a bad series but he could shoot a better percentage and force his way into the game a little more.

But hey, we are up 3-1. It's all gravy for me right now!
Blackspider972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:40 AM   #13
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk isn't playing horrible. But (IMO) he isn't being that aggressive either. He can get to the rim a few more times (like that finishing drive today)if he would just grab it and go.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:41 AM   #14
Blackspider972

Blackspider972 has a spectacular aura aboutBlackspider972 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
Dirk isn't playing horrible. But (IMO) he isn't being that aggressive either. He can get to the rim a few more times (like that finishing drive today)if he would just grab it and go.
Exactly. Don't wait and hold the ball. Once the ball hits his hands, drive it.
Blackspider972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:46 AM   #15
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Morning guys !
Old 04-26-2009, 02:23 AM   #16
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackspider972 View Post
Yea the Spurs are playing him tough, but there are times when he needs to put the ball on the floor and drive the ball instead of pulling up for long jumpers.
Even more than that, he needs to take the jumpshots when they're there. I get so angry when I see him being covered by guys under 6-5 and he waits for the second defender instead of just taking the shot.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:02 AM   #17
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
btw, jthig, in case you missed it...
Quote:
jthig (and bg.. and others) -

It's my pleasure to admit that you were right and I was wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post
Isn't there supposed to be more to this line?

Old 04-26-2009, 03:18 AM   #18
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

I suppose I am one of the people who is being referred to :-P

I guess I shouldn't call it a "pathetic" performance by Dirk given his board work/defense but cmon... there's no denying IMO that he was WAYYY too passive on offensive end. And the 3 turnovers didn't help either.

No he does not need to go off for 30-40 but 9 shots in 41 minutes of action? I refuse to give the Spurs defense that much credit!!
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:12 AM   #19
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazi View Post
I suppose I am one of the people who is being referred to :-P

I guess I shouldn't call it a "pathetic" performance by Dirk given his board work/defense but cmon... there's no denying IMO that he was WAYYY too passive on offensive end. And the 3 turnovers didn't help either.

No he does not need to go off for 30-40 but 9 shots in 41 minutes of action? I refuse to give the Spurs defense that much credit!!
It's not all the Spurs though. There were opportunities to get him the ball, but they never really even looked for him.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:00 AM   #20
Lor20
Golden Member

Lor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud of

dirk usually only got the ball right in the middle of the ft line. he's too big to split a double team and just turn and dribble in between them and turning around and shooting over two defenders really doesnt seem like its the smartest thing to do.
he has no path to the basket there. he is - again - too tall to just go around a defender - he needs a somewhat straight line to the basket to be able to drive. And I will say it gain - the spurs defended the paint very well yesterday. we were 5-14 on layups.
i wish he would have gotten the ball a little more often at other spots on the floor. especially at the right wing - but that didnt happen much. maybe because dirk was content being a distributor - maybe because it was the gameplan - these games are very valuable though. our bench is learning to abuse the double teams finally. we used to never make peoplle pay for it. now if only jet could get things going
Lor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:11 AM   #21
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that Dirk needs to be a bit more aggressive at times. But it's also apparent that he's buying into the game plan. Some of you seem a little incapable of understanding this.

Like I said, he's not playing perfect offensive ball by any stretch of the imagination. But he is doing a good job on the court of accepting his role. If Carlisle continues to use this tactic and the Mavs continue to win, then so be it. But it'd be nice if the fans mixed in just a little basketball common sense before posting idiotic statements.

But hey, if you want to be a sports idiot, so be it.

Last edited by Murphy3; 04-26-2009 at 07:14 AM.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:31 AM   #22
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Why force things when what you are doing is winning?

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:33 PM   #23
mav4ever

mav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to all

thank god for you sir.

this is truly a better place for having you, i mean, how else would we know who is stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
I am truly amazed at how flat out stupid some of you people are in this thread. How freaking long have you guys watched the game of basketball..but you still have no concept of how the game works? Are many of you truly that stupid? Do you have no concept of strategy? Do you not understand that the Spurs main goal is to limit Dirk because they know that if they cover him with one man, he's likely to go for 30-40 a night?...They believe that their only chance to win is to sell out on Dirk and make someone else beat them. And guess what?.. Rick Carlisle believes that the rest of the team can beat the Spurs with limited point production from Dirk when the Spurs sell out on Nowitzki.

So, the Mavs allow the Spurs to sell out and Dirk and play into the Spurs strategy simply because Carlisle believes that it is faulty.

Honestly, there probably isn't much that the Spurs could do to win this series. But, they're placing their defensive eggs into the slowing down dirk basket. The Mavs are ok with that. Dirk is ok with that. They're not forcing things offensively. They're ok with Dirk drawing the double and making the pass. They're ok with Dirk causing defenders to cheat an extra step his way even when he doesn't have the ball. That is fine with him and it is fine with the Mavs. It's just a shame that many fans aren't smart enough to realize what the hell is going on.

Many of you have posted on this board for how long?... and you're still that much of a basketball idiot?

Even though Dirk put up only 12 points, do you understand just how important he was to the outcome of this game with what he did on the offensive side of the ball? No, I didn't think you did.

Was Dirk perfect? Far from it. He made a couple mistakes. But, him accepting taking a back seat just shows how much of a team player he is. He doesn't care about the stats. He's fine with only 9 shots if it means he makes things much easier for everyone else. What more could you ask?
mav4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:10 PM   #24
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

I can always tell how little some people know about basketball when they say things like "Dirk needs to drive more and harder on those double teams." Yes, because 7 foot PF's can drive to the hoop from 15 feet out against double teams. Ok.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:12 PM   #25
NYMAVGUY

NYMAVGUY has a spectacular aura aboutNYMAVGUY has a spectacular aura about

This Thread is a bit unfair.
NYMAVGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:34 PM   #26
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
Why force things when what you are doing is winning?
Because Dirk is obviously supposed to be selfish and go against a game plan that worked.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:02 PM   #27
Lor20
Golden Member

Lor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud of

we always get a lot of guys in the playoffs to this board that don't watch or follow the regular season so they obviously don't quite know what the mavs have been doing all season.
Lor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:06 PM   #28
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
I can always tell how little some people know about basketball when they say things like "Dirk needs to drive more and harder on those double teams." Yes, because 7 foot PF's can drive to the hoop from 15 feet out against double teams. Ok.
I don't think this was directed at me since I never said he needs to drive on the hard double teams... but I DO think he needs to finish the drives he starts. There was at least two times that he beat his man off the dribble and got to the hoop, only to pass it to a bobbling Wright or Dampier for the turnover rather than finishing the layup himself.

But yes, he shouldn't start a drive with the double on him. I'd prefer him to take the quick jumper before the double team gets there like he did in game 3.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:11 PM   #29
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I agree that Dirk needs to be a bit more aggressive at times. But it's also apparent that he's buying into the game plan. Some of you seem a little incapable of understanding this.

Like I said, he's not playing perfect offensive ball by any stretch of the imagination. But he is doing a good job on the court of accepting his role. If Carlisle continues to use this tactic and the Mavs continue to win, then so be it. But it'd be nice if the fans mixed in just a little basketball common sense before posting idiotic statements.

But hey, if you want to be a sports idiot, so be it.
I'm perfectly capable of understanding this "plan," I just don't agree with it. Frankly I don't think it was part of Carlisle's gameplan for Dirk to barely be involved at all offensively. I think the Spurs just defended him well, and he responded poorly. And if it WAS part of Carlisle's plan for Dirk not to shoot the ball, then I think his gameplan sucks and he needs a new one. The Mavs aren't good enough to where we can get away with Dirk only taking 9 shots on a regular basis, even against this weakened Spurs team. Don't forget that it took some very fortuitous and unlikely three pointers from Wright and Howard and an equally unlikely 17 points from Kidd to pull this game out.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 04-26-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:11 PM   #30
Murphy3
Guru

Are you really?
Old 04-26-2009, 07:17 PM   #31
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Are you really?
No, you're right. I'm a moron. Please explain it to me. And remember, don't use any big words. Dumb it down a bit so I can grasp it.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:23 PM   #32
Murphy3
Guru

Just the fact that I had to explain it to you in the first place makes it apparent that you couldn't understand it regardless of how simply it was broken down.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:24 PM   #33
mav4ever

mav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to all

the only reason i ever wish dirk would shoot more in this series is that when he passes it, its often a perfect throw to someone in black.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:28 PM   #34
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Dirk has been great this series. His ppg may not be up there but his energy and affect on the game can be seen all over the court.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki

Last edited by Dirkenstien; 04-26-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:32 PM   #35
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

dirk isn't scoring much but the mavs are leading the series anyway. they'd have swept the series if dirk wasn't playing so sucky.

discuss
Old 04-26-2009, 08:41 PM   #36
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
I'm perfectly capable of understanding this "plan," I just don't agree with it. Frankly I don't think it was part of Carlisle's gameplan for Dirk to barely be involved at all offensively. I think the Spurs just defended him well, and he responded poorly. And if it WAS part of Carlisle's plan for Dirk not to shoot the ball, then I think his gameplan sucks and he needs a new one. The Mavs aren't good enough to where we can get away with Dirk only taking 9 shots on a regular basis, even against this weakened Spurs team. Don't forget that it took some very fortuitous and unlikely three pointers from Wright and Howard and an equally unlikely 17 points from Kidd to pull this game out.
I completely agree with you on this. Let's assume that Carlisle's plan was to use dirk as a decoy and run the offense around everyone else except him, then i would call carlisle an idiot.

But i could care less right now, we're up 3-1.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:42 PM   #37
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

The only downside of this series has been watching Parker light us up. If we could make him live in fear of entering the paint the Spurs wouldn't break 70 in any of their games.

I enjoy watching the rest of the team carry the offensive load, it makes me feel better about our roster. I just don't think we should be relying on that as a strategy, they aren't consistent enough to depend upon and I'm highly skeptical it will carry on throughout the playoffs. But anyone who hates this strategy shouldn't be blaming Dirk at all, if anyone it should be Carlisle.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:49 PM   #38
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

The Dirk apologists among us like to point to Dirk's stellar playoff stats in general, like the way he heightens his PPG and RPG in the postseason, as a marker of his value as a player. The present strategy is undermining that.

I'm all for the notion that Dirk can take a back seat and the team benefits...but at the same time I'm not sure that Dirk can't do more.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:25 PM   #39
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav4ever View Post
the only reason i ever wish dirk would shoot more in this series is that when he passes it, its often a perfect throw to someone in black.
Yeah, he's averaging a whopping 1.5 turnovers per game in the playoffs. Unacceptable. Dirk just needs to be more assertive and start pulling up from half-court.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:40 PM   #40
mav4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
Yeah, he's averaging a whopping 1.5 turnovers per game in the playoffs. Unacceptable. Dirk just needs to be more assertive and start pulling up from half-court.
ya, it was really more in game 4 i guess.

and since im done, you can go jump back on your mom now.

Tags
homosexualest tags ever, i am richer than you, i remember my first beer, i'm an alchoholic too, i'm the smartest mavs fan, murph=drunkhungrichgenius, well lets compare them, worthless tags w/o pics