Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #41
stoble

stoble is just really nicestoble is just really nicestoble is just really nicestoble is just really nicestoble is just really nicestoble is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
The FACT that he continued to score, and score efficiently, after said thuggish and physical play. See how that works?
chill out dude. We are all upset over the performance of our Mavs.

Looked to me like the altitude might have gotten to our guys. In the 4th quarter they looked tired and sloppier than I've seen them in a long time.
stoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2009, 06:34 PM   #42
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

turnovers, turnovers, turnovers is why we lost and also the Nuggets playing bullie ball and getting away with.
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:42 PM   #43
Lor20
Golden Member

Lor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud of

denver got 28 fast break points - sure - we could have maybe stopped a few of them and made them earn them with a few FT's but then you end up having most of your guys in foul trouble and having to sit down. If dirk was making silly fouls like the one kidd committed (little holding of the arm during a layup attempt) he would get way to many fouls called on him. Dirk actually plays this very smart - he either doesn't foul or fouls hard enough so the basket doesnt go in.
And anyone who demands dirk to dunk over guys - he has a very low vertical leap - he gets barely any elevation (which is why he shoots the fadeaway so much rather than just straight up shoot over top of someone) and if he dunks he just barely gets the height to do it. Dirk dunking over people happens maybe once every 10 games or so and it'll be on a shorter (6' ish) guy, not over a 6'7 guy.

Like I thought before the series, barea wasn't of much use because he can't guart anyone on the team and is to short to get open jumpers on O. if the defender is 8 inches taller they really just have to put their arms up and you are screwed.

For once I wish some of our guys would not have had driven the ball to the hoop as much (especially our short guys) because the denver interior D is just too tall to make layups for terry or barea. They gave us the open jumper a LOT if there was any ball movement at all but we went to a lot of ISO's with very little player movement.

all our centers were completely ineffective today - the stats say everything:
combined 50 minutes from bass, hollins and damp -
11 points on 4-12 shooting, 14 rebounds, 2 Assists, 13 FOULS and they got blocked on 5 of those 12 attempts.
Terry + Kidd with a combined 12 Turnovers - that is more than the whole team should have during the game.
Game plan for game 2: Take better care of the ball on offense and start wright instead of barea (barea can play against carter and terry against smith).
If this game was officiated fairly the nuggets would have probably had about 8 less FT attempts and Dallas 10 more and I'm pretty sure we'd have won this game.

Last edited by Lor20; 05-03-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Lor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:44 PM   #44
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

The game was lost when the Mavs turned the ball over something like 7 times in 14 possessions.

The Mavs cannot run with the Nuggets. That's the end of the story. The Mavs cannot defend the Nuggets when they're constantly on the break or getting shots via the secondary break. The Mavs don't have the athleticism to do so.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:44 PM   #45
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Here are my thoughts: ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE REFFING!!!. Dirk and Co were getting pounded with no calls all game long. Any time the Nuggets Drove they either got the layup, got the call or got both. It was infuriating from my standpoint, the Nuggets overall are better than us, they were at home and they got all the calls as well. How exactly were we supposed to win?

Any way though we need to play better, it was layup city out there. But I don't know if the D was bad or if guys were just moving out of the way because they were scared of fouling. Barea and Bass are going to be very limited in this series in my opinion, we need to see more Wright, Hollins and singleton to have a chance. And Kidd needs to watch his turnovers. But my main concern is : How the Hell are the Nuggets allowed to get away with sooo much contact?!
LSMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:55 PM   #46
Lor20
Golden Member

Lor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud of

damp only got 22 minutes - thats why it was layup city. Damp basically IS our interior D - the rest of the team can help but the focal point is damp - and he got into foul trouble and had a bit of a bumped hip.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:57 PM   #47
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Damp would have been 30 feet away for many of the layups... Too many TO's that turned into fast break points.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:11 PM   #48
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lor20 View Post
damp only got 22 minutes - thats why it was layup city. Damp basically IS our interior D - the rest of the team can help but the focal point is damp - and he got into foul trouble and had a bit of a bumped hip.
He was letting Nene go off as well very early in the game. Bass was no answer for Nene as well.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:14 PM   #49
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

The factors as I see it are:

Refs: They called touch fouls to start the 1st and 3rd. It set a tone that benefited the Mavs for a bit. Then they swallowed their whistles for the 2nd and 4th and it benefited the Nuggets. They shouldn't do that in Dallas, and we should be able to take a game under those conditions.

Kidd: He looked like he was shaving points the way he tossed so many lazy passes halfway across the court.

JHo: Was what we need him to be till he hurt his ankle. Disappeared for 2nd half. Scared or hurt, I don't care. We need him to produce.

Bench: Ours didn't show up like they did against SA (maybe because Denver is much better than SA). Denver's bench did what they were supposed to and more.

If Kidd screws his head back on, and JHo plays another series of games like he just did against SA (hello, 2nd half Josh!), then we'll win the series. We'll only need a bit from our bench. Kidd and Josh on top of their games will make up for the rest of the bench deficit.

Last edited by Usually Lurkin; 05-03-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:41 PM   #50
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

I think our bench was a big reason.
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:55 PM   #51
particleman

particleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud of

Yeah, the refs sucked and turnovers killed us.

I think we can take some good things from this game though... I mean, if the fast break point differential isn't almost -30 then this game still goes down to the wire, despite the free throw differential. And I'd be willing to bet that Kidd won't turn the ball over like that again in this series.

I don't know, it was an extremely frustrating game to watch, but I still think we can beat 'em. [Edited to add:] Assuming Howard is healthy.

Last edited by particleman; 05-03-2009 at 07:56 PM.
particleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:58 PM   #52
tbone27

tbone27 can only hope to improve

Yeah these refs today really blew the game for us. I mean that was ridiculous. Especially when they called Dirk for throwing the elbow in the 4th period. That was the stupidest call and just killed our chance to stop the Nugs momentum. I mean Dirk was throwing elbows all game and was not called for one of them until the 4th quarter! These Refs suck.

And no way are the Nugs this good. I mean they only beat the woeful Hornets by like an average of 25 points or something. Yeah these Nugs are a total fluke no way they are this good. That 58 point road playoff win against NO was like a total fluke.

I know if the refs would have just called this one better we could have overcome the Nugs defense. I mean there is no way they are good enough to cause us to make the 20 something turnovers we had. They just cannot be good enough. There is no way in hell that their defense is anywhere near tough enough to cause us to turn the ball over like that. I guess Kidd and the rest of the back court just got lazy cause there is no way Denver is that good.

Yeah if the Refs start calling it better and the back court stays focused I am sure we will win the next 4 games of this series. Cause there is just no way the Nugs are this good. I mean we are the stinking 6th seeded Dallas Mavericks. We are way better then those Nugs or better Thuggets. I mean can you you feel it or what?

peace

Last edited by tbone27; 05-03-2009 at 08:03 PM.
tbone27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:09 PM   #53
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone27 View Post
Yeah these refs today really blew the game for us. I mean that was ridiculous. Especially when they called Dirk for throwing the elbow in the 4th period. That was the stupidest call and just killed our chance to stop the Nugs momentum. I mean Dirk was throwing elbows all game and was not called for one of them until the 4th quarter! These Refs suck.

And no way are the Nugs this good. I mean they only beat the woeful Hornets by like an average of 25 points or something. Yeah these Nugs are a total fluke no way they are this good. That 58 point road playoff win against NO was like a total fluke.

I know if the refs would have just called this one better we could have overcome the Nugs defense. I mean there is no way they are good enough to cause us to make the 20 something turnovers we had. They just cannot be good enough. There is no way in hell that their defense is anywhere near tough enough to cause us to turn the ball over like that. I guess Kidd and the rest of the back court just got lazy cause there is no way Denver is that good.

Yeah if the Refs start calling it better and the back court stays focused I am sure we will win the next 4 games of this series. Cause there is just no way the Nugs are this good. I mean we are the stinking 6th seeded Dallas Mavericks. We are way better then those Nugs or better Thuggets. I mean can you you feel it or what?

peace
Pretty obvious you are a nuggets fan, not a bad troll attempt though, i will give you a c+.
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:40 PM   #54
tonyriceroni

tonyriceroni will become famous soon enoughtonyriceroni will become famous soon enough

We just had way to many turnovers. Horrible passing.
tonyriceroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:42 PM   #55
Lor20
Golden Member

i will give him neg rep and answer this - if the nuggets are oh so good - why were the mavs right there for over three quarters despite being way behind in points in the paint and in fast break points- at Home.
We all know the mavs are sluggish on the road - but ew just need 1 on the road. The nuggets won't sniff at a win in Dallas.
and the hornets rolled over for you guys and have the smallest frontcourt of the entire playoff teams - out of all the teams the hornets were the easiest matchup for denver (much like the spurs were the easiest for Dallas) and on top of that a lot of their players were hobbeling more than running.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:01 PM   #56
GoNugs

GoNugs is infamous around these partsGoNugs is infamous around these partsGoNugs is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lor20 View Post
i will give him neg rep and answer this - if the nuggets are oh so good - why were the mavs right there for over three quarters despite being way behind in points in the paint and in fast break points- at Home.
We all know the mavs are sluggish on the road - but ew just need 1 on the road. The nuggets won't sniff at a win in Dallas.
and the hornets rolled over for you guys and have the smallest frontcourt of the entire playoff teams - out of all the teams the hornets were the easiest matchup for denver (much like the spurs were the easiest for Dallas) and on top of that a lot of their players were hobbeling more than running.

So you argument is the Nuggets aren't very good and as proof of that...the Mavericks were in the ballgame until the 4th quarter?

Um....what exactly does that say about the Mavericks then?

I'd say that the Nuggets, Rockets and Mavericks are a distant 2,3,4 best teams in the conference in no paticular order....all of them are pretty good teams. I don't think...though I hope....that one of them beats the Lakers...as I hate them so.

The Nuggets were fired up today...they were the more aggressive team...and I tend to think that the team that controls the pace, tends to get the calls (as opposed to a team that is back on their heals).

I think the Nuggets are content to let Dirk get his points and leave him covered by either Martin or Anderson. The Mavs are going to need to get another guy or two going in order to win this series.

I don't think either team will win every game on their home court....of the two...it would appear the Nuggets are a better road team...as they had more quality wins on the road (in Houston, San Antonio, Boston, Miami, Orlando, Dallas, etc).

I expect Tuesday night will be a tough game for the Nuggets to win. One thing we can agree on...is that Dallas wont roll over like the Hornets did.
GoNugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:08 PM   #57
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

The Nuggets are a great team. That doesn't change the fact that the officiating was deplorable. The two aren't mutually exclusive.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:14 PM   #58
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
Are you serious? Really? How did any frustration effect his game? He had 28/10/4/2/1 on 12-22 shooting. He had a great game and was solid throughout. He's the only one who showed up today. So what's your gripe? That he consistently scored on plus 50% shooting despite getting no calls? I'm just confused as to where you think he failed? Because he had one lay-up blocked?
Well, if anything, its disappointing that he starts off strong and finished weak. But obviously, non-calls effected that.

Oh, and the lay-up hit the glass before Nene hit it, no doubt. Its possible Anderson touched it before it left Dirk's hand, but in the Coors Light Freeze Cam, it didn't look like it. Nene's block was CLEARLY as it hit the glass, though, and he just pinned it before it could finish moving into the hoop.

I would especially agree with one statement you made in there: Dirk was the only guy to show up.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #59
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

peace
Uncreative trolling combined with a thinly-veined attempt at pretending to be a Mavs fan. Stellar. Just stellar.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:27 PM   #60
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

peace
I'm glad you see it my way.

live long and suffer endlessly
Old 05-03-2009, 10:07 PM   #61
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

peace
Wow, could this post possibly have more overt homosexual tendencies? Wow.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:20 PM   #62
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

I guess Spurs fans are thrilled with this Den W. Ah man!

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:50 PM   #63
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Wow, could this post possibly have more overt homosexual tendencies? Wow.
Well...he could have mentioned the fact that JR Smith looks hot and that he wants to go out with Kenyon Martin. As a matter of fact, I'm surprised he didn't.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:56 PM   #64
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

1-13 last 14 playoff games Dan Crawford has officiated. 24 PF per game, 22.3 FTA per game for Mavs. 21.5 PF per game, 29.9 FTA per game for opponents.

Pullin out da ref card!
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:03 PM   #65
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Carlisle:
“It’s hard for me to believe that Dirk only shot four free throws, the way he was playing the game,’’ the coach said. “He’s being played very physically. … This is not meant to be a bitch session about the officials. But a minus-23 (in free throws) and a plus-10 (on foul calls) and … you’re gonna get taken out of a lot of opportunities to score and to make stops.’’
Old 05-04-2009, 12:06 AM   #66
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Carlisle:
“It’s hard for me to believe that Dirk only shot four free throws, the way he was playing the game,’’ the coach said. “He’s being played very physically. … This is not meant to be a bitch session about the officials. But a minus-23 (in free throws) and a plus-10 (on foul calls) and … you’re gonna get taken out of a lot of opportunities to score and to make stops.’’
I like how Rick always stands up and protects the players, this is obviously correct, I know lots will say Mavs lose the game no matter what just look at the second half, but I truly believe if the game is reffed fairly Mavs are up around 10-12 points at the break, and the reason they stopped driving in the second half was the refs. Needless to say Nuggets actually weren't that impressive, there was only 1 guy I was very impressed with on Denver and that was Nene, Carmello got a ton of bailout calls.

I like the Mavs chances in game 2 if Crawford doesn't ref the game. Jet will finally show up.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:27 AM   #67
NugsFan

NugsFan is a jewel in the roughNugsFan is a jewel in the roughNugsFan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

peace

I agree with it all except for the first sentence.
NugsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:51 AM   #68
tremaine

tremaine has a spectacular aura abouttremaine has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidDaMonkey View Post
I think you have to earn the respect from the refs in games like this. We drove to the hole alot early on, but then gave up on it. Even if you aren't getting the calls, I think you have to keep attacking. The refs can't ignore it all day.

Mavs have GOT to figure out a way to defend the paint better. That will kill us and wear us down faster than anything. We were hitting some jumpers tonight, but that wont keep up for 7 games and when that falls, we won't have anything else if we play like this.
This is very true, if the refs are going to let a lot of Denver fouls go uncalled, Dallas has to either keep driving to the hoop until the refs can't take the sheer number of missed Denver foul calls anymore, or else they have to get a lot more physical on defense, which will also eventually motivate the refs to take greater control over the game.

Or the Mavs should do both. Doing both would be the best.
tremaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:52 AM   #69
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugsFan View Post
I agree with it all except for the first sentence.
I really don't get the point of trolling on other teams site, you get a kick out of doing this?
Old 05-04-2009, 01:09 AM   #70
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

To top off that horrible 4th quarter, i broke my thumb during it.

Jesus christ.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:17 AM   #71
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremaine View Post
This is very true, if the refs are going to let a lot of Denver fouls go uncalled, Dallas has to either keep driving to the hoop until the refs can't take the sheer number of missed Denver foul calls anymore, or else they have to get a lot more physical on defense, which will also eventually motivate the refs to take greater control over the game.

Or the Mavs should do both. Doing both would be the best.
I don't really remember cases where refs do a 180 from total blindness to calling it right for a team IN GAME. There were instances where the Mavs weren't even all that aggressive and they were still getting called for chippy fouls.

At what price do you try to force the issue with physical defense on Denver? How do you throw that to your players and still hope the refs don't go overboard? You can try but it's still out of your hands, it's still on the refs. In the Miami/Atlanta game today there was a pretty hard foul late in that game and the game was well out of reach. It wasn't a flagrant 2, it was a good hard foul...BUT to set the tone, the refs CALLED it a flagrant 2 and Haslem was tossed. A flagrant 2 would cause us an ejection and maybe even a suspension...how would you feel about that?

What are guys told usually or what do you hear:
If you aggressive you'll get rewarded or bailed out with the call. It's not supposed to be a cat and mouse game with the ref, It's not: "well, we are gonna test you, do it x amount times and THEN we'll give it to you."

What you see all the time is a performance like this and coaches and/or players will talk about it in the media and you can usually see a change in the foul dynamics in the next game. If you put the onus on the refs in the game and it didn't work...it seems the next natural step is to do it even more after the game with calling them out. It'll hurt the wallet that way but it doesn't potentially run you the risk of getting ejected.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:26 AM   #72
tomly

tomly will become famous soon enough

I dont watch any more but it sure sounds like Howard Stern could manage the referring better than his morally challenged clone!
tomly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:27 AM   #73
BGMaverick9
Guru

Kidd and Turnovers:
This is definitely going to be an issue that needs a hard look to figure out what to do.

Kidd's highest average of turnovers this year vs an opponent is: Denver
Then you add today...there is a cause for concern. It's a scrappy, athletic, and aggressive defensive unit. Some of his usual stuff might not be able to work. Cross-court passes are going to be tough, and he's gotta be sure the receiver of the pass is ready. Denver is going to jump on passes like a Cornerback would do in football.

Everyone just needs to concentrate more on protecting the ball and maybe going a little safer or conventional.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:43 AM   #74
particleman

particleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
I really don't get the point of trolling on other teams site, you get a kick out of doing this?
Yeah, I don't get it either.

But what I really don't understand is why all the posters here acknowledge the trolling. I mean, really, you think you're going to accomplish something by engaging in an argument with someone who has nothing better to do with his life than try to bait you into a pointless argument? How is it that you think you're helping the situation. I've been to a lot of internet forums, and I honestly can't remember one time that I saw a troll say "wow, thank you for showing me the error of my ways" or "hey! i didn't realize you were going to be mean and call me a homo, I'm never posting here again!"...
particleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:09 AM   #75
tremaine

tremaine has a spectacular aura abouttremaine has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsufferingmavsfan View Post
Here are my thoughts: ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE REFFING!!!. Dirk and Co were getting pounded with no calls all game long. Any time the Nuggets Drove they either got the layup, got the call or got both. It was infuriating from my standpoint, the Nuggets overall are better than us, they were at home and they got all the calls as well. How exactly were we supposed to win?

But my main concern is : How the Hell are the Nuggets allowed to get away with sooo much contact?!
Well this may be a reach, but my latest theory is that Denver is a football town, but since the Broncos suck, the Colorado Sports Fathers (whoever they are, remember, this is just my wild theory to try to explain how the Nuggets are getting away with this) decided to remake the Nuggets in the football mode.

So at a secret meeting, they decided: "If the real football team sucks, then by God, we'll make the Nuggets a lot more like a football team!" "Nice thinking, Earl!"

Laugh out loud. But there is always some truth in humor, I warn you.

My brother told me years ago that he could not be a basketball fan because he thought the referees took sides, if not on purpose then by accident. I stubbornly didn't agree with him then, but his opinion is worth another look these days.

This Nuggets thing has become like one of those really bad and stupid movies that hardly anyone ever watches.

Tonights feature: Can a thuggish but well meaning basketball team keep routing teams with a simplistic, but very disruptive style of playing the game? A style which is way out on the far outer fringes of the rules?

I hate bad movies.
tremaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:19 AM   #76
Captain Jack Sparrow
Banned

Captain Jack Sparrow can only hope to improve
Default This series is done!

Denver will win this series in 5 if not 4! We started out slow today but we will get better in game 2! We are 8-1 against you guys in the last two years!

GO NUGGETS!
Captain Jack Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:24 AM   #77
Captain Jack Sparrow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by croco View Post
The game was close for 3 quarters until the turnovers started to pile up for the Mavs. That's deadly against a team like the Nuggets because they will get out in transition and convert those turnovers into points. This wasn't a blowout game in the sense of one team dominating the other for the length of the game.

Make the right adjustments for Game 2, tweak the rotation a little, let some other referees officiate the game and stop turning the ball over so much and I think we have a good chance to take the next game.

Hopefully Josh will be healty and good to go, we need him in so many areas. He will also be a factor in transition, as good as our offense can be, you need fastbreak points.
We will be lucky to win a game!!! Our bench is TOO good! I hope we sweep you guys! MAVS SUCK!!!!
Old 05-04-2009, 02:27 AM   #78
Captain Jack Sparrow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
How can one team be more aggressive and physical, and the other be called for 10 extra personal fouls? 10 is a boatload.
Because we are Physical!!! you are starting to sound like Hornet's coach B Scott!
Old 05-04-2009, 02:33 AM   #79
Captain Jack Sparrow
Banned

Quote:

peace
WTF??? you lost by 14 pts?
Old 05-04-2009, 02:35 AM   #80
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jack Sparrow View Post
We will be lucky to win a game!!! Our bench is TOO good! I hope we sweep you guys! MAVS SUCK!!!!

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fightin the good fight, got a bit fluffy in here