Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-25-2008, 01:51 PM   #441
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
Oh you mean the Payton/Malone Lakers?...yeah, that team was the picture of dysfunctional.

KG can guard 3s and 4s Duncan can guard 4s and 5s.

KG is clearly a better passer than Duncan...I'm not sure that has anything to do with "running and jumping", but if you say so.

By the way, you're crazy if you'd think of Duncan the same way...he'd have zero rings and be just another "great guy who can't win" if he was stranded in Minny for the bulk of his career.
You're entitled to your opinion. In my opinion Tim Duncan would have had a significantly better career than KG in Minnesota, because he's a significantly better player.

Comparing the two is like comparing Kobe to TMac.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 05-25-2008 at 01:52 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2008, 02:52 PM   #442
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
its funny what David Robinson can do...
Like Thig said, he wasn’t the old Robinson by the time they won a title. This numbers he put up in 99’ were slightly better than what Ilgauskas produced for Cleveland this year. He was a nice player but not a HOF’r. By 03’ he wasn’t even averaging a double-double.

For the record, nobody is trying to say that hasn’t had talent around him. Just that he’s had less superstar talent than other players who have won titles.

Quote:
What is your point here? That coaching doesn't make a difference? Because that is what it sounds like....which can't be your point. To undermine what Pop has done is ridiculous.
Coaching doesn’t make nearly as much of a difference as that talent that you have on the floor. The NBA is not a coaches league.

I’ll give Pop credit for being smart enough to cut Bob Hill off at the knees when Tim Duncan arrived and for not screwing it up after that. Beyond that, lets see what he does when Duncan retires.

If coaching was as important as you think, and if Pop is great and Avery is incompetent, there’s no way Avery could have beat him in a series. There wasn't a huge talent gap if there was one at all.

Quote:
I agree that players bring much to the table, But I think post players (big men) need a system more than 2 guards who control the ball. Duncan has been blessed with a coach wise enough to play him in just the right way. But you're right about players being the key...and Duncan has played with some great ones..from DRob to now days with Manu and Parker...Duncan has played with some of the best. Good for him. I don't hold it against him. But it needs to be mentioned that he has been placed in just the right spot for him...take Duncan out of this system and away form this team and roster and its my contention that he is just another "very, very good" 20/10 guy.
Again, Robinson was never great when they won championships. I wouldn’t call Parker great right now. Manu played at an extremely high level this year. If he can keep it up he may achieve greatness.

Quote:
So he is the best player because he has been on the best defensive team? He is the "best" player because he has been the most important player on his team? Sounds like the "Best vs. Most Valuable" debate to me...and personally, I think the best player....is the one with the best overall skill-set. Not the best player on the best team. Which sounds like what you're describing.
No, he’s the best because he’s the main reason the Spurs have been one of the best defensive teams.

Quote:
You're right, they broke away from their "system" and got beat by a worthy opponent. Duncan was wonderful in that series...but I guess not great enough?
Without Duncan there is no “system”.

Quote:
Or how about this angle: Since Bowen locks down his man on just about every play, Duncan can basically write Bowen's man off most nights?
Shut down defenders are like shutdown corners. They don’t exist. People get by Bowen all the time. He’s a great defender but he doesn’t take his man out of the game on a nightly basis.

Quote:
Seems to me that the PER is one of the most misused and misunderstood stats in the game. Unless we really think Manu is slightly better than Kobe...and Chris Bosh is only slightly behind him. It is an interesting stat, but worthless for this conversation.
Why does PER have no place in this discussion? Why would you want to throw out efficiency ratings when discussing the merits of one player vs. another?

Again, I’m not saying that it’s the perfect player rating tool because that doesn’t exist. That being said year in and year out it tracks pretty well with the best players in the game and the players having great seasons. The undisputed best player in the game should rank higher than 8th. He doesn’t necessarily have to be 1st but he shouldn’t be 8th.

Last edited by dirno2000; 05-25-2008 at 02:56 PM.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:26 PM   #443
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
You're entitled to your opinion. In my opinion Tim Duncan would have had a significantly better career than KG in Minnesota, because he's a significantly better player.

Comparing the two is like comparing Kobe to TMac.
This is post I can get on board with...I have no problem with saying the two are different. But I would bet the lives of your first 3 kids that Timmy doesn't win any rings in Minny...even if he is overall better than KG. The supporting cast in Minny just isn't good enough. My point has never been that Duncan isn't great, but that he has been amazingly fortunate in his career to always have one of the best coaches, systems, and cast of supporting guys around him...for example, Dirk has never been as fortunate. But we are entitled to disagree on something so subjective.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:48 PM   #444
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
He’s a great defender but he doesn’t take his man out of the game on a nightly basis.
well this is a drastic "change of tune" from "good defender" that you were talking about earlier.

Quote:
He doesn’t necessarily have to be 1st but he shouldn’t be 8th.
Because I know that Manu and Chris Bosh are not close to the player Kobe Bryant is night in and night out. Because I know that when it comes to overall basketball ability, there is only one player in the league even close to as good as Kobe...and that is LaBron James. I don't like the PER because I don't agree that it identifies the best players and then places them in an improper order...without sounding like too much of an arrogant jerk, I don't like the PER because I disagree with it's results.

Why do you find it so easy to ignore the opinions of the Many greats of the game that say without any hesitation that Kobe is the best player around today? I personally feel this gets overlooked because we hate Kobe...and it obviously is a point in my comments that both thiggy and dirno have not addressed.

the rest of dirno's post deserves comment...but we are just rehashing at this point...I would still contended that comments like, "No, he’s the best because he’s the main reason the Spurs have been one of the best defensive teams." sound like a most valuable vs. best player argument. Why not just that Timmy has made them the best defensive team because he is the best defensive player in the league? I think its because he has always had a LOT of defensive help in making the Spurs what they have been. A coach that fixes on D and players who can play lights out D around him...no question that Duncan is the most important/best player on the Spurs and the primary reason they succeed. But he is not the exclusive reason they have done so. They play wonderful team defense. Why take anything away from the rest of Duncan's exceptional defensive cast?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 05-25-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:51 PM   #445
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Man...this thread has SERIOUSLY been hijacked.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:58 PM   #446
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9
Man...this thread has SERIOUSLY been hijacked.

Yeah, so I think they should trade Josh for Ron Artest if at all possible...

Old 05-25-2008, 05:19 PM   #447
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

I can't believe people actually think KG is better than TD. That is an absolutely hilarious joke if I've ever heard one. There's a reason why he only got out of the first round once before this year, KG is great during the regular season but he's a mental midget during the playoffs. Just look at the Celtics during the playoffs this year their MVP has clearly been Paul Pierce and not KG. Anyone who disagrees has not been watching the Celtics playoff run.

P.S. trade J-Ho for Mike Miller.

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 05-25-2008 at 05:22 PM.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 11:22 PM   #448
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

without Artest or Maggette, J-Ho > Mike Miller.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:33 AM   #449
craggmac
Golden Member

craggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud of

Quote:

Yeah, so I think they should trade Josh for Ron Artest if at all possible...
So you would take Ron Artest over Shawn Marion? I was just wondering, because you questioned my trade proposal of Howard for Marion earlier in the thread. Not trying to start any beef, just curious.
craggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:17 AM   #450
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by craggmac
So you would take Ron Artest over Shawn Marion? I was just wondering, because you questioned my trade proposal of Howard for Marion earlier in the thread. Not trying to start any beef, just curious.
I'd be in favor of Marion...just dont see it happening.

I also don't know who I'd choose between Artest and Marion....

Last edited by sike; 05-26-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:25 AM   #451
sike
The Preacha

I know they play mind games....but Pop is a pretty honest guy and he just flatly said, "Kobe is the greatest player on the planet..."

I'm no mind reader, but he sure didn't seem to be playing mind games when he said it.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:57 PM   #452
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'd be in favor of Marion...just dont see it happening.

I also don't know who I'd choose between Artest and Marion....
Marion, but Artest is more realistic (kinda...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 01:58 PM   #453
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

maggette/redd plz, miles/diop plz

SOMETHIN PLEASE OMG IM SO SCARED
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 02:18 PM   #454
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
Marion, but Artest is more realistic (kinda...)
Marion and Artest are both great defenders, but they do it in very different ways...I, too, think I might choose Marion...but I'm not sure.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:35 PM   #455
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Between Marion and Artest you'd have to take Marion based on stability alone, I think. Marion's no saint, but he's not crazy.

Judging them based soley as players it's a little harder. I think Artest is a superior defender but Marion's a better rebounder and less likely to kill you by deciding to play offense by himself.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 05-26-2008, 02:50 PM   #456
kappasigma

kappasigma will become famous soon enough

josh will have a great year next year. he'll have something to proove. he's been smoking since high school, its just now public. he also had a few deaths in his family this year. this was just a bad year for him. don't judge on smoking, cause majority of the players do, including guys like don nelson (still smoking) & mark cuban (not anymore)
Old 05-26-2008, 02:56 PM   #457
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Marion's a better rebounder and less likely to kill you by deciding to play offense by himself.
everyone talks about Artest's mental fragility as the main strike against him...I don't fear that much at all...but thiggy, you just pointed out my only real fear. Deciding to take over the ball is a terrible trait, as we've been learning with Josh, and Marion isn't a good enough shooter or shot creator to fall into that bad habit.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:03 PM   #458
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
everyone talks about Artest's mental fragility as the main strike against him...I don't fear that much at all...but thiggy, you just pointed out my only real fear. Deciding to take over the ball is a terrible trait, as we've been learning with Josh, and Marion isn't a good enough shooter or shot creator to fall into that bad habit.
Yup.

If we could hypnotize Artest into playing within himself I would take Artest, because I think he's better at creating his own shot.

But we've all seen him decide he's going to take over a game and then kill his team with missed shots and turnovers.

I think think this is all moot anyway, because after hearing Skin and Followill this past Saturday, I don't think Josh is going anywhere unless someone offers them a no brainer deal.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 05-26-2008 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:07 PM   #459
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Yup.

If we could hypnotize Artest into playing within himself I would take Artest, because I think he's better at creating his own shot.
No doubt about Artest's creative ability...I love how he attacks the rim as well..which is another thing he does better than Marion.

Quote:
I think think this is all moot anyway, because after hearing Skin and Followill this past Saturday, I don't think Josh is going anywhere unless someone offers them a no brainer deal.
I missed it...anything else from what must have been a hoop-centric show that would be interesting to know?

As an aside, I wonder if I've been misreading Carlisle's intentions....he seemed (to me at least) to be insinuating that a move of some magnitude was coming this off season...If they are settled on not moving Josh, that move just isn't happening.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:09 PM   #460
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I missed most of it as well. I only caught the final segment or so, and they were basically discussing Josh.

I really wish the Ticket would promote something like that better. I would have made a point to catch a two hour show of Skin and Followill talking Mavs.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 05-26-2008, 03:18 PM   #461
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
As an aside, I wonder if I've been misreading Carlisle's intentions....he seemed (to me at least) to be insinuating that a move of some magnitude was coming this off season...If they are settled on not moving Josh, that move just isn't happening.
I was saying from the get-go that it didnt sound like this to me at all. Maybe we'll drop Stack, and I'm sure if the right trade for Terry/Howard came along they'd look closely at it, but I didn't hear anything from Carlisle that made me think he was looking for significant shake-ups with our remaining guys on contract.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:33 PM   #462
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
I really wish the Ticket would promote something like that better. I would have made a point to catch a two hour show of Skin and Followill talking Mavs.
absolutely no doubt.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:35 PM   #463
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub
I was saying from the get-go that it didnt sound like this to me at all. Maybe we'll drop Stack, and I'm sure if the right trade for Terry/Howard came along they'd look closely at it, but I didn't hear anything from Carlisle that made me think he was looking for significant shake-ups with our remaining guys on contract.
Yes that's true....but I'm usually correct more often than you.

I'll wait and see before anointing PDub as right on that little disagreement of ours.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:35 PM   #464
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

With Artest coming in at half the price as Marion, I go with Artest.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:37 PM   #465
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
With Artest coming in at half the price as Marion, I go with Artest.
I was thinking that as well...I don't care about Cuban's money...but I want them to be able to fill every hole possible.

Last edited by sike; 05-26-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:22 PM   #466
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

Quote:
I missed most of it as well. I only caught the final segment or so, and they were basically discussing Josh.

So Mark and Skin both thought that Josh was staying?
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:28 PM   #467
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly I'll be surprised if Josh isn't back next year. The only scenario I see where we get better by trading Josh is if we do another trade to fill in the other hole in our starting lineup, like Maggette/Redd scenario. Unless we're really getting some bang for our buck, it's not worth trading him.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:52 PM   #468
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

This was funny...

Josh Howard has a new friend.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:14 AM   #469
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

Is it you Krusty?

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs

Last edited by Dr.Zoidberg; 05-27-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:33 AM   #470
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddh33
So Mark and Skin both thought that Josh was staying?
They both said that everyone they have talked to within the Mavs organization says the same thing. That being that the Mavs still 100% believe in Josh, and believe he is part of the solution here. They said that they think they know when the team is saying that just to keep trade value high, and they don't believe that is case in this situation.

They both said the only way Josh is traded is if someone offers them a slam dunk no brainer of a deal.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 05-27-2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:45 AM   #471
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
They both said the only way Josh is traded is if someone offers them a slam dunk no brainer of a deal.
I agree with this now...

After listening to the details of the Avery drama for the past couple weeks, I'm fairly certain that his "system" (ego) was responsible for the drop-off in several of our players' performances - I see no reason why Carlisle couldn't make Josh an all-star again (hell, we even might find out that Eddie Jones, Tyronn Lue and Jamaal Magloire actually have something left in the tank!)

If we give Josh up, it has to be for an impact player like Shawn Marion, Elton Brand or Ron Artest...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-27-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:45 PM   #472
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
I agree with this now...

After listening to the details of the Avery drama for the past couple weeks, I'm fairly certain that his "system" (ego) was responsible for the drop-off in several of our players' performances - I see no reason why Carlisle couldn't make Josh an all-star again (hell, we even might find out that Eddie Jones, Tyronn Lue and Jamaal Magloire actually have something left in the tank!)

If we give Josh up, it has to be for an impact player like Shawn Marion, Elton Brand or Ron Artest...
Great post, Underdog.
I think I'm the first member (other than Underdog) to say that sentence.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:57 PM   #473
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

Not too long ago I said that I thought there was a great chance that Josh was viewed by the Mavs as the best option for this team.

Basically, you need a second star on this team. That guy needs to have a diversified game. He needs to be able to run the floor and slash. He needs to be able to hit open shots. He needs to be able to create for himself off the dribble at times. But he also needs to defend.

Now, most of the names that have been thrown around are lacking in some of those areas. I don't know if the Mavs can afford to lose Josh for guys who are going to create as many holes as they fill.

Having said that, if Josh is going to play like he did towards the end of the season, just about any of those guys will be upgrades. But I really do believe there was more to what was happening than Josh just playing bad. Something else happened, and I don't have a clue what it was. But Josh almost looked like he was lashing out - especially at Avery. It looked like blatant rebellion...

But guys who can do everything that Josh Howard does as well as he can do it are kind of hard to find. Remember, this is a guy who was going for almost 30 and 10 every night that Dirk was out while playing good defense...

If he's on the team next year, I get it. If he's not, I think I get that too. So who really knows what will happen?
Old 05-27-2008, 03:08 PM   #474
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Basically, you need a second star on this team. That guy needs to have a diversified game. He needs to be able to run the floor and slash. He needs to be able to hit open shots. He needs to be able to create for himself off the dribble at times. But he also needs to defend.
I guess he doesn't need to be able to pass? Oh, and the dribbling even "at times" will always be rough with Josh.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:30 PM   #475
ddh33
Platinum Member

I don't want Josh initiating the offense or anything, but he can handle the ball and create for himself. Creating for others will always be an issue with him, but then, you got Kidd for a reason. Kidd creates for others. Dirk, by his sheer presence alone, creates for others. Even Jet, assuming he's still here, can create for others.

Still, I can easily see Josh being a better fit for this team than some of the others guys mentioned. And like I said, I can see those other guys offering something different too. Either way, I'm willing to defer to management because they have seen all of this first hand, and they know more of what happened than I do.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:32 PM   #476
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
I don't want Josh initiating the offense or anything, but he can handle the ball and create for himself. Creating for others will always be an issue with him, but then, you got Kidd for a reason. Kidd creates for others. Dirk, by his sheer presence alone, creates for others. Even Jet, assuming he's still here, can create for others.

Still, I can easily see Josh being a better fit for this team than some of the others guys mentioned. And like I said, I can see those other guys offering something different too. Either way, I'm willing to defer to management because they have seen all of this first hand, and they know more of what happened than I do.
all things being equal, who do you take, Artest or JHo?

Old 05-27-2008, 03:34 PM   #477
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not too long ago I said that I thought there was a great chance that Josh was viewed by the Mavs as the best option for this team.

Now, most of the names that have been thrown around are lacking in some of those areas. I don't know if the Mavs can afford to lose Josh for guys who are going to create as many holes as they fill.

Having said that, if Josh is going to play like he did towards the end of the season, just about any of those guys will be upgrades. But I really do believe there was more to what was happening than Josh just playing bad. Something else happened, and I don't have a clue what it was. But Josh almost looked like he was lashing out - especially at Avery. It looked like blatant rebellion...

But guys who can do everything that Josh Howard does as well as he can do it are kind of hard to find. Remember, this is a guy who was going for almost 30 and 10 every night that Dirk was out while playing good defense...

If he's on the team next year, I get it. If he's not, I think I get that too. So who really knows what will happen?
You know I once started a thread about this same issue, Josh is just too good to play that poorly vs the Whorenets. If he was having a shooting slump its understandable but some of the shots, the turnovers, the attitude all made me think that Josh was doing some of this on purpose. I think Josh had every right to be angry because his buddy was traded(I'm still angry now) but when he chose to act and play like that because of that issue shows me he should be traded. What happens if Carlislie pisses Josh off then? More turnovers? Stupid dribbling? Shooting 30%? More foolish confessions? Josh should be traded. Just my two cents
LSMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:36 PM   #478
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
all things being equal, who do you take, Artest or JHo?
Josh...
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 05-27-2008 at 03:42 PM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:37 PM   #479
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsufferingmavsfan
You know I once started a thread about this same issue, Josh is just too good to play that poorly vs the Whorenets. If he was having a shooting slump its understandable but some of the shots, the turnovers, the attitude all made me think that Josh was doing some of this on purpose. I think Josh had every right to be angry because his buddy was traded(I'm still angry now) but when he chose to act and play like that because of that issue shows me he should be traded. What happens if Carlislie pisses Josh off then? More turnovers? Stupid dribbling? Shooting 30%? More foolish confessions? Josh should be traded. Just my two cents
I don't think any player misses shots on purpose...but I do think he stopped trying as hard to do the little things and settled for the easy shots far too often.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:37 PM   #480
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Josh...
this is in response to my question?

Tags
josh howard