Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: Who would you root for in the WC Quarter-Finals
Germany 79 67.52%
U.S.A 38 32.48%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-24-2006, 11:27 PM   #41
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a little surprised. When I started the poll my best guess was that Germany would come in at about 40%.

Dude rooting against the U.S. really surprised me. I’d have bet anything that you’d be right there with U2.

I didn’t vote because I honestly don’t know. On one hand, I think winning is a habit. The more you win the more you expect to win. Dirk holding up a championship trophy would be a great experience and would, by extension, help the Mavs.

That being said, I like the idea of the U.S. being the dominant country in basketball. It’s hard for me to watch Wade but I don’t blame him for what happened in the finals. That’s a league issue. All he can do is go to the line and make the FT’s. I dislike the idea of coach K riding to the rescue of USA basketball more than the thought of Wade getting a medal. Plus, I’m probably the biggest Carmelo fan on the board and even I’m surprised by how well he’s played.

Gun to my head I’d probably go with the U.S. The deciding factor being that the game is in the quarter finals. Even if Germany pulls off the upset, Argentina (a team with two Spurs players and a Spurs draft pick) would hand them their collective arses in the finals.

Last edited by dirno2000; 08-24-2006 at 11:28 PM.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2006, 11:33 PM   #42
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I voted germany and i do want them to win because dirk is easily my favorite player but its a 52-48 situation. Part of me will be happy and part sad no matter who wins.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:42 PM   #43
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, with me it comes down to that I just don't give a shit about the world championships. And even if I did, it would be very difficult for me to translate my fan-inspired disdain for NBA Opponents of the Mavericks into some sort of patriotic support. I don't have that switch I can flip that goes from rooting against a Dwayne Wade when he's a Heat and rooting for him when he's an American.

If I thought it meant a lot to the players, I would of course feel differently. But I don't. Call me jaded, but I don't think that a group of megamillionaires cares a whole lot about representing the country--especially when the country is pretty much widely considered the best in at basketball and it's not even close.

Let the boys play, and I'm all for them. Give me a good set of amateurs, and they have my vote. But I know what kind of lifestyle the Hundred Million Dollar players lead, and I honestly don't care much about them one way or the other.

It may be the case that players from other countries' teams live similar lifestyles (though I doubt it), but I still find it hard to find some kind of patriotic fervor for pampered NBA players.

And plus, this is basketball. This isn't soccer. I highly doubt that other countries are near as fanatical about it as they are about soccer, so why should I be?

Honestly, the whole thing bores me. If Dirk weren't playing, I wouldn't bother to read box scores. But since a little maverick is in the games, I will follow and I will root for him.

In between naps.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:56 PM   #44
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

"But I know what kind of lifestyle the Hundred Million Dollar players lead, and I honestly don't care much about them one way or the other."

This is why I don't give a about Dirk 's Germans. I like the way the Spanish and Americans play so I root for them.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 08-24-2006 at 11:57 PM.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:07 AM   #45
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely Dirk!
Old 08-25-2006, 03:08 AM   #46
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Im Canadian and this is a no brainer, anyone outside of the of the US is not rooting for them because the underdog will always be the favorite, Germany is my underdog obviously because of Dirk. Personally... I hope Dirk murders them, all by himself, just like with Angola and drops a tourney high of 60. Wade scores 4 and bitches about calls...
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:13 AM   #47
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

if dirk scores 60 points, i might wet myself.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:36 AM   #48
Wiley_e

Wiley_e is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokey41
Im Canadian and this is a no brainer, anyone outside of the of the US is not rooting for them because the underdog will always be the favorite.
That was not always true. Back in the days of the first (and only!) "Dream Team" everybody just enjoyed watching those great players to perform on the international stage. Of course tose were different days - international basketball grew tremendously since then.

What makes almost every international fan root against Team USA now? I think it's the attitude they are carrying. This "expecting" and "demanding" to still be dominant regardless of the quality of the opponent.
"We invented this stuff so there is no way in hell anybody else is supposed to beat us"
Vince Carter sticking his ass in Frederic Weis' face - as much as it left everybody in awe and astonishment at the same time it is the ultimate sign of disrespect.
And isn't respect the one thing sportsmanship demands from every competitor? Some US players always talk about respect and how they respect others - but that's not what their talk and their body language tells during games.
I don't want to generalize here - it's not the same for all players, but unfortunately you always have more than one of the kind on the roster. I will not start naming players now, but sometimes it's far too obvious don't you think?
And start to admit it to yourselves - in international competition you actually will lose games sometimes, and there's absolutely no shame in that whatsoever (if the effort has been given)!
Pride is one thing - and the US players (and their fans!) really can be proud of the game their players are playing at the world championshisp so far! And i think the way the team has been assembled, the intention to build a real "team" especially for the future, to let them play together a few times every year against international competition could be a way to again become one of the most entertaining and most rooted for teams in international sports that the "Dream Team" once was.
And for christssake stop calling it dream team - be inventive! Find s.th new! Or just be team USA - that should be good enough!
Old 08-25-2006, 03:42 AM   #49
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Actually Canadians invented the sport... nice try though!
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:07 AM   #50
Wiley_e

Wiley_e is on a distinguished road

I didn't say who actually did it

Ok, to be correct: a Canadian did it (but he lived in America at the time ;-))
Old 08-25-2006, 06:13 AM   #51
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Where there's a Mav, I am too! And besides, I'd love to see the Nowitzki kick the crap out of Wade's team. Kind of a bit of a payback, wouldnt you agree? And besides, I dont like anyone on Team USA's roster, except for Paul maybe.

No diss intended for the Americans and the fans as well, but... I'm for team Germanizers all the way!!

How big is the possibility that this could happen?

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:32 AM   #52
Dark Sun

Dark Sun has a spectacular aura aboutDark Sun has a spectacular aura aboutDark Sun has a spectacular aura about

Being German, it is quite interesting to see that result.
It's great to see all the support for Dirk's team but it would be absolutely understandable if all of you would root for your own country.
Usually the US Americans are well known for being patriotic and so I expected that here too. So all I can say is WOW.

I guess it has a lot to do with the fact that Wade is part of the US team and that there are no Mavs players.
If Josh Howard would be on the US team, then probaby the result would be a lot different.

Anyway... first of all both teams need to win their matches and then will see.
The chances for Germany would be quite slim against the US team, but you never know.
Dark Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:49 AM   #53
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

dwayne wade can suck deezzzzzzzz n*tzzzz
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 08:42 AM   #54
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Why is there such rampant apathy about international competitions in this country?

Unless Dirk puts on a Mavericks jersey while he's playing the US and Mark Cuban turns up somewhere shouting, screw Germany. See you in October Dirk.

Go USA
Old 08-25-2006, 10:30 AM   #55
Sancho

Sancho is on a distinguished road

I want Dirk to have an incredible individual game in a losing effort. I vote for the Americans to win.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:16 AM   #56
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

I will never root for the US cuz i m not from here but at the same time i dont like Germany as a country. But Dirk is my favorite player and if rooting for him means that Germany wins it all then soo b it. GO DIRK

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:25 AM   #57
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm a little surprised. When I started the poll my best guess was that Germany would come in at about 40%.
The results may be skewed a little bit, due to voting by either bt non-Mavs fans, or non U.S. residents. I know you asked them not to - but most people probably click on a poll option before reading the thread.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 08-25-2006 at 11:25 AM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:19 PM   #58
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

True, this is not the most scientific poll.

Then again, if you look at the responses from the regulars, the lean towards Germany appears to be even higher than it is in the poll.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:49 PM   #59
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
True, this is not the most scientific poll.

Then again, if you look at the responses from the regulars, the lean towards Germany appears to be even higher than it is in the poll.
agreed

Contact Me
Old 08-25-2006, 01:00 PM   #60
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

I'm a US Citizen and, of course, I love most everything about US.

I'm quite neutral to Germany (love Dirk, Graf, Becker, Schumaker, Porsche, etc.,... hate BMW, Benz, Volkswagen, Heineken, Lufthansa, etc.). Don't ask me why... that's just the way it is!

As for Basketball, it's obvious that US has the strongest team and they should win it all... handily beating every other team (yes, even Argentina!). I'll be disappointed if they don't. But when they play Dirk and the Germans... it's a tough choice... but I don't think I can take another one of those Wade wins over Dirk this close to the recent finals' loss. I'm sorry, but I'd have to root for Dirk to dance all over Wade in a sensational come-from-behind upset win for Germany.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 01:22 PM   #61
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2M
I'm a US Citizen and, of course, I love most everything about US.

I'm quite neutral to Germany (love Dirk, Graf, Becker, Schumaker, Porsche, etc.,... hate BMW, Benz, Volkswagen, Heineken, Lufthansa, etc.). Don't ask me why... that's just the way it is!

As for Basketball, it's obvious that US has the strongest team and they should win it all... handily beating every other team (yes, even Argentina!). I'll be disappointed if they don't. But when they play Dirk and the Germans... it's a tough choice... but I don't think I can take another one of those Wade wins over Dirk this close to the recent finals' loss. I'm sorry, but I'd have to root for Dirk to dance all over Wade in a sensational come-from-behind upset win for Germany.
"Heineken" is a dutch beer. "Beck's" is the German one.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 01:27 PM   #62
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

And it's spelled "SchumaCHer"

V2M, I know you asked not to ask, but what's to hate about Lufthansa? The only thing I can think of are their relatively high prices. ANYthing else?
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 01:37 PM   #63
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriD
And it's spelled "SchumaCHer"

V2M, I know you asked not to ask, but what's to hate about Lufthansa? The only thing I can think of are their relatively high prices. ANYthing else?
Thanks for the correction, kriD. I knew something didn't feel right as I typed his name. I was just too lazy to look it up.

As for Lufthansa, I don't like 'em for their high prices and poor service... their frequent flier program sucks too!

The only good thing about 'em is the availability. They fly to more destinations than almost any airline I know.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 02:43 PM   #64
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk is my current man-crush...
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:11 PM   #65
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with USA basketball is that I have spent the last 6 years cheering for Dirk to beat every guy on team USA.

Its almost like Dirk vs the rest of the NBA. Take the nationalism out of it and every Mavs fan would love to see Dirk beat Team USA, no matter who his teammates are. As I have 6 years of emotion tied up in rooting for Dirk and zero seconds invested in cheering for Wade and LeBron, I guess I'd get more pleasure out of Dirk making them suffer than I would out of watching team USA be happy.

On the other hand, I do love me some corn rolls.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:44 PM   #66
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

I hope dirk goes for 60 and the US wins by 1. I'm American, I want America to win.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 12:16 AM   #67
craggmac
Golden Member

craggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud of

I say USA. Dirk isn't doing this to beat the USA, he's doing it to represent his country. He's not playing for the Mav's right now. Im going to follow in Dirk's footsteps and go with my country.
craggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 02:01 AM   #68
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

I guess I don't really care as much who wins, I just want Dirk to do well.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 12:01 PM   #69
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light
Wink

Nigeria.
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 12:57 PM   #70
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
I guess I don't really care as much who wins, I just want Dirk to do well.
Good form. And I respect that. Good form.

Old 08-26-2006, 07:31 PM   #71
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

This team doesn't represent the US in my mind. Give me Dirk and the Germans. Dirk represents the US better than any of the players on the US team.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 08:46 PM   #72
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
This team doesn't represent the US in my mind. Give me Dirk and the Germans. Dirk represents the US better than any of the players on the US team.

i've seen sentiments similar to this posted elsewhere in this thread and i don't quite understand them. what specifically about this u.s. team do you feel doesn't represent our country?
Old 08-27-2006, 01:16 AM   #73
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon it has something about the way they look? Maybe the way they play. Forget that though.

Hey, Dirk is my favorite active athlete in all sports and is the only man I can admit to having a mancrush on. But forget that as well.

There's many problems with the US - from our president to the average size of the American ass. But forget that.

And I don't personally care for any of the individuals. Chris Paul and JJohnson are pretty tight. D12 is a player I also enjoy watching. However, I'm not a fan of any these players. But I'm forgetting this.

I remember this: the boys wearing red, white and blue learned to play basketball on our courts and in our cities. And out of the 200+M persons in the United States, they are the capable and the willing. Like it or not.. agree or not.. they do represent us. They are the basketball products of our country and, for all intents and purposes, are our faces in this little tournie. Yes, it's odd, but somehow all the Americans are playing for the USA.

Even as an American who thinks the USA has to improve in many areas and is in fact SHIT at a lot of things, I would never want us to lose. Even at something as trivial as basketball.

Any American who would like to see the USA ousted is beyond me.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 01:21 AM   #74
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

USA outscored Australia 32-6 in the second quarter en route to 113-73 day 9 victory. It's really happening!! Ooh can't wait.

Old 08-27-2006, 01:29 AM   #75
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, I'm an American. Always have been, to tell the truth.

I don't like the Washington Redskins, I can't stand the New York Yankees, I don't drive an American car, I watch a Japanese TV, most of the clothes I wear were made in the Orient, I listen to a lot of British music, and I don't give two shits about an American basketball team comprised of a bunch of guys who I routinely hate in the course of being a Mavericks fan.

Is that so unusual?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 01:43 AM   #76
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Redskins, Yankees, Heat, whatever - doesn't matter or relate to the US as long as they're not playing against some entity called team USA.

As for goods and services, they're affiliated to other things other then nationalism. Like real fat cats. If anything, a basketball team comprised of Americans is more American then any product you can buy that says "Made in the USA".

That's cool though. Personally, this tournament is a packet of ketchup on the relative scale of things important to me today but I know who I'd back. No questioning.

EDIT: The main thing about this lil'FIBA thingamacallit is that Dirk doesn't get hurt. But to this topic's point - go USA.

watch your thoughts, they become your words

Last edited by rabbitproof; 08-27-2006 at 01:48 AM.
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 10:51 AM   #77
alby
Guru

when is the USA vs Germany game

Contact Me
Old 08-27-2006, 12:11 PM   #78
Locked_Up_Tonight
Platinum Member

Locked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to behold

6:30 AM Eastern time Tuesday Morning
5:30 AM Central time Tuesday Morning
Old 08-27-2006, 02:21 PM   #79
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

Actually, it's Wednesday. And I think that's when the telecast is - the actual games at like 2:30 that morning.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:41 PM   #80
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

May Dirk rise and may Femmerling break Dwade's leg...

Tags
dirk