Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Fidel- the two dads comment...sorry.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2002, 09:05 PM   #42
KEVIN_NY

KEVIN_NY is on a distinguished road

Soccer is boring or not? Classic debate in USA (not in most other countries).
My answer is this:
3 types of soccer games are NOT boring:
1. YOUR team is playing;
2. high level teams are playing (such as the World Cup, English Primier League, first class leagues of Brazil, Germany, etc, etc.;
3. Any game you have wagered on.

All other soccer games, are very likely to be boring.

BTW, the above analysis can apply to ALL other sports, such baseball, basketball, tennis, etc.
This should end the debate for good. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I love soccer. Sometimes it's as exciting as you can ever imagine.

KEVIN_NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 09:10 PM   #43
Drbio
Banned

That's pretty good Kev...
Old 05-30-2002, 09:11 PM   #44
KEVIN_NY

thanks,Doc.
Old 05-30-2002, 09:31 PM   #45
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Hey Kev, what are your favorite teams??
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 09:41 PM   #46
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

It wasn't meant to be appropriate.
It was meant to be true. Can't you see that
sport doesn't always need to be competitive. Especially
at a young level.
There is no point in just getting offended and ignoring the issue.

Anyhoo....I'll be supporting England, as I have since Euro 96
when Gareth Southgate missed the penalty goal against Germany.
What can I say, I'm a born loser [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 09:45 PM   #47
Drbio
Banned

And of course, it's just not sport if two dads can't get out there and beat each other to death.

A blanket categorization of sports based on a rare and tragic occurrence is inappropriate. I agree that youth sports should not be win at all costs. Kids should be taught at a young age the rules of games and let them have fun. But at some point you have to introduce a competitive drive for success. I don't know when that is though. Noone ignored the issue.

BTW, you may want to spell check your sig.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2002, 10:02 PM   #48
KEVIN_NY

<< Hey Kev, what are your favorite teams?? >>

Hi Fidel, Brazil, Germany and Argientina are my favorite teams. I think one of them will win the cup this year. I wish USA team can advance into second round, or further. That will help us get more TV time for next Cup. Italy is always good, but I don't like they put too much into defense, that sure makes the game boring [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] This is only my feeling. It could be wrong. I remember their scores since the 82 cup up to last one, there were lots of 0:0, 1:0, 1:1, like that.
Old 05-30-2002, 10:46 PM   #49
KEVIN_NY

Another classic question: why soccer has not taken off in US commercially? People have pointed out many reasons such as
1. the satuation of sports market because of exsiting 4 big pro sports ( I know little about the sport market, I cann't disagree on this reason).
2. Americans love physical sports, soccer is not very physical ( well, the physical level of soccer is below football, not too far away from that of basketball and hockey, and should be above baseball a lot, imho).
3. Not good for live TV because no time to air commercials ( I agree. Imagine during a commercial, one of the few precious goals is scored. That will be horrible [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] but it's a solvable problem.)
4. you add here.

I have thought about another reason for quite while. First of all, we know TV coverages are extremely important in US to attract viewers and hence help to market the sport. And american viewers are usually expecting close-ups on flying bodies, sweating faces, slow motion of grimacing faces from pain, or at least lots of banging. But from the few soccer games I watched on TV in US, the cameras were almost always shooting at a fixed focus and angel. You only see small figures running slowly on a huge field, in a kind of silent stadium. kind of boring. I know that is a standard camera angel in all other countries.

Actually soccer game is very physical at pro level. If we can look closely at players fighting for ball on the ground or in the air, they are very fast and there are lots of hard bangings out there.
I think changing the way to show the game on tv ( do a similar camera work as in football and basketball) might help soccer in US.
Anyone knows something about video camera shooting can comment on this?
Old 05-31-2002, 09:24 AM   #50
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Senegal stuns France 1-0!!!!!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 09:25 AM   #51
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Dude, it put it all on one line!? How messed up is that?
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 05-31-2002, 09:35 AM   #52
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

people in the U.S. like more exciting sports..that's why it hasn't taken off
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 10:14 AM   #53
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< people in the U.S. like more exciting sports..that's why it hasn't taken off >>

Given that you are a baseball fan, Murph, that explanation just doesn't wash.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 10:19 AM   #54
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

baseball is much more exciting than soccer.
soccer is painful except for the one magic moment a match when someone scores.

so i'll catch the highlights on sports center
Old 05-31-2002, 10:23 AM   #55
Murphy3
Guru

soccer's really not that bad..i just enjoy giving Dooby a hard time.
i'll catch some of the world cup
Old 05-31-2002, 10:32 AM   #56
Dooby
Diamond Member

I hope you don't think bashing soccer is giving me a hard time. Because, I am really disinterested.

I just like saying, &quot;GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!&quot;

Old 05-31-2002, 10:32 AM   #57
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

hehe, you´re perfectly right murph!

soccer only has one or two great moments a game, while baseball has one every time the hot-dog boy comes around ... c´mon! baseball is 2.5 hours of NOTHING happening (and i´ve been a baseball fan myself for some time), while soccer is ... hmmm ... 1.5 hours of not much. i think it´s rather even ... lol
Old 05-31-2002, 10:34 AM   #58
Dooby
Diamond Member

Homer Simpson when he gave up drinking for thirty days, at a baseball game: &quot;You know, I never realized how boring this game is.&quot;

Old 05-31-2002, 10:38 AM   #59
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

hehehe!

actually, it would be the same with most soccer fans ... at least with some ...
Old 05-31-2002, 10:39 AM   #60
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

and chess can be a very very very great thing to watch - especially in the right environment ... maybe i shouldnt go into details here ...
Old 05-31-2002, 10:54 AM   #61
Drbio
Banned

The largest fan base in the world follows soccor/Futbol. Not any of the traditional US Sports.
Old 05-31-2002, 10:55 AM   #62
Murphy3
Guru

i know dooby..that's why i stopped bashing soccer..because i thought you liked it..when i found out i was wrong and you didn't like it, it wasn't as fun bashing it anymore

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2002, 11:18 AM   #63
Dooby
Diamond Member

Yeah go back to bashing star wars.

Old 05-31-2002, 11:39 AM   #64
Rattlers17

Rattlers17 is on a distinguished road

Senegal beat France, 1-0, that is a HUGE upset.
Old 05-31-2002, 11:52 AM   #65
Murphy3
Guru

dooby, like i said, it was better than i expected (AOC)
Old 05-31-2002, 11:55 AM   #66
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< baseball is much more exciting than soccer.
soccer is painful except for the one magic moment a match when someone scores.

so i'll catch the highlights on sports center
>>

Soccer is non-stop action for 1.5 hours. Even more so than basketball. Baseball is the equivalent of watching paint dry--if the pain made a million dollars a drop.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Old 05-31-2002, 02:44 PM   #67
Drbio
Banned

Senegal beat France, 1-0, that is a HUGE upset.

HOLY CRAP! That is like South Oak Cliff High School beating the Nebraska Cornhuskers in football. HUGE upset.
Old 05-31-2002, 02:45 PM   #68
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

<< Senegal beat France, 1-0, that is a HUGE upset. >>

It's a beautiful world.
Old 05-31-2002, 05:13 PM   #69
Drbio
Banned

Ironically, France once took over Senegal and made it one of their colonies. The Senegal people are reportedly going nuts about this win. If they get eliminated in the next games it won't matter. Great story. It's why you play the games.
Old 05-31-2002, 05:33 PM   #70
Murphy3
Guru

hmm..soccer more action than basketball?
i don't really see what you're talking about....

soccer is about as interesting as old high school girls basketball when there were 6 players on the court for each team, 3 on offense and 3 on defense..
they weren't allowed to go on the other side of the court..had to stay on their half.

that's what soccer reminds me of
Old 05-31-2002, 05:33 PM   #71
veruca salt
Platinum Member

The best part is that most of the Senegal team play in France, and most of the French team play...well all over the place.
Everyone is talking about how it was Senegal that played French football.

I just remembered I've still not fixed that sig.

Smile like you mean it
Old 05-31-2002, 05:37 PM   #72
Drbio
Banned

veruca - LOL[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

It's an amazing upset. I admit...I like soccer.
Old 05-31-2002, 05:38 PM   #73
veruca salt
Platinum Member

<< hmm..soccer more action than basketball?
i don't really see what you're talking about....

soccer is about as interesting as old high school girls basketball when there were 6 players on the court for each team, 3 on offense and 3 on defense..
they weren't allowed to go on the other side of the court..had to stay on their half.

that's what soccer allows me of
>>

That sounds like netball! Scary.

Smile like you mean it
Old 05-31-2002, 06:01 PM   #74
KEVIN_NY

When I was NOT familiar with baseball (still not into it very much), all it reminded me were spitting, walking around, chewing gum, spitting again, standing around, boom! home run! what's that? one person running while other standing? standing around again. Game over. Thank you, nice game. Kids, let's go home. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2002, 06:03 PM   #75
Murphy3
Guru

baseball is a thinking man's game.. if you don't like baseball..well, you get the picture
Old 05-31-2002, 06:04 PM   #76
Drbio
Banned

It's all about perception. I took my mom to a game many many years ago and one of the pitchers threw a no hitter. Fans were going nuts all around. Mom seemed to have a good time but on the way home she told me how boring it was that noone got on base. I thought it was one of the best experiences ever and she couldn't wait to get home. It takes all kinds I guess.
Old 05-31-2002, 06:15 PM   #77
KEVIN_NY

<< baseball is a thinking man's game.. if you don't like baseball..well, you get the picture >>

Well here women who hardly can read go nuts on Yankees and Mets while 5,6 7 year old kids love the game as strongly as you, murphy. I don't know those people qualify for &quot;thinking man&quot; or not.
At the same time, I THINK the reasons why I like soccer based on knowledge, not just on ridiculous perceptions.
Old 05-31-2002, 06:17 PM   #78
Murphy3
Guru

kevin, are you assuming i know nothing about the game?
because if you are, you're sadly mistaken.
i simply think it's a very poor sport to watch on tv.. i always enjoyed playing it..but there's a big difference.
soccer doesn't translate well from the field to the screen in my opinion
Old 05-31-2002, 06:27 PM   #79
KEVIN_NY

<< kevin, are you assuming i know nothing about the game? >>

no, you must know a lot about it, as you always do [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

<< soccer doesn't translate well from the field to the screen in my opinion >>

that's what I said previously. I think to satisfy American viewer's habit and taste, tv could do a better job in showing it in more close-ups and slow motions, something like that.

Old 05-31-2002, 06:28 PM   #80
Murphy3
Guru

i don't know alot about everything... but, yeah, most things i do

i'm glad you noticed