Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 05-29-2002, 09:00 AM   #1
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

World Cup Starts Soon. Care? or Couldn't Care Less.

I would be of the latter variety.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2002, 09:03 AM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

what sport is that?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 09:05 AM   #3
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

That would be Futball.

Or Socker to you and me. The outdoor variety.

You know, the sport the kindergardners play where they don't keep score and everybody gets a trophy.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 05-29-2002, 09:07 AM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

oh, what kindergartners play because the school can only afford a soccer ball..can't afford for everyone to have gloves and a baseball bat.

Old 05-29-2002, 09:11 AM   #5
Dooby
Diamond Member

That is a little over the edge, don't you think?

Old 05-29-2002, 09:24 AM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

not really.
that's why soccer exists.. because poor countries couldn't afford enough equipment to play a good sport..so they play soccer
Old 05-29-2002, 09:30 AM   #7
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno murph..if that were true, then the same could be said about basketball, which takes even less equipment and less space to play. When I played soccer I thought it was expensive as hell..new kleats every year, shin guards, soccer socks, sliders, bag, ball, etc.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 09:33 AM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

it is expensive if you want to make it expensive.
however, all the poorer countries of the world needed was a yarn ball and a couple of trash cans on two different sides and they had a soccer field.
that's the only reason it became popular

surely it didn't become popular because of the boredom it cretes
Old 05-29-2002, 09:44 AM   #9
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

LOL well I admit it is boring as hell to watch (though indoor soccer is mildly amusing) but it's real fun to play.
Old 05-29-2002, 10:15 AM   #10
Dooby
Diamond Member

That doesn't explain its popularity in Western Europe, Murph.

There was a great article in either ESPNMag or SI about soccer's problems in the USA. The writer blamed the national organizers of youth soccer. Essentially, he thought it run by a bunch of crackpots interested in social engineering who were trying to drive competition out of the sport. As a result, USA's athletes are driven away from the sport and into football and baseball and basketball.

It was a great article. If anybody can find it on the web, I would love to read it again.

Old 05-29-2002, 10:19 AM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Western Europe, in some countries, the women let there armpit grow.. there's sometimes not an explanation for everything..sometimes things don't make sense dooby
Old 05-29-2002, 10:51 AM   #12
Rattlers17

Rattlers17 is on a distinguished road

Well I can tell you guys know shit about soccer, but for the intelligent people on this board I pick Mexico or England.
Old 05-29-2002, 11:11 AM   #13
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

USA USA USA [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] .

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 11:26 AM   #14
djb
Administrator

I'm hoping the US squad wins at least one game..man the last cup was such a damn disappointment after they hyped up the US men's team so much. Had no idea Mexico was so good..how's Brazil and Italy this year?
Old 05-29-2002, 12:06 PM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

there's no reason to know anything about soccer..the sport sucks
Old 05-29-2002, 12:15 PM   #16
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< I'm hoping the US squad wins at least one game..man the last cup was such a damn disappointment after they hyped up the US men's team so much. Had no idea Mexico was so good..how's Brazil and Italy this year? >>

Brazil is more vulnerable than they've been in 30 years. Team's been in a lot of disarray and the coach is forcing a much more rigid style than Brazilians normally play.

Don't know about Italy this year.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 12:19 PM   #17
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

The world cup is one of the greatest specticles of any sport and makes GREAT tv, IMO. I will watch every game on tv from start to finish.

Rattlers, Mexico is not as dominant these days, in fact, my opinion is the US has overtaken them and is the best team in Central and North America. South American soccer, on the other hand, kicks both asses.

My favorite team besides the US, (the Netherlands, or Clockwork Orange) didn't even make the tourney because the Euros are so good.

Brazil is always good, but Ronaldo is hurting again, Italy is always good, and so is France. Zidane is going to miss the first two games though, but that shouldn't really hurt them. It's going to be a wide open field this year, and anyone could win. The US has a legit shot at making the second round this year with Arena managing and Clint Mathis (the first REAL goal scorer we have ever had) and Brian McBride healthy at forward. Our GoalKeepers are VERY strong as always, and our Midfield is creative with the ball with Reyna, O'brien, Donavan and DeMarcus Beasley (19 year old stud). Our weakness is definately in the defense. Eddie Pope must play awesome at sweeper in order to make up for the deficiencies of Agoos, Tony Sanneh, Hejduk, and Regis. If those four play well, this US team will be the most successful ever.

Some people don't like soccer/football, but to say that is for poor countries is a blanket stereotype that I don't agree with. Many wealthy countries love the game, but hate our football. To each thier own...
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 12:24 PM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

I haven't followed the soccer much because of the pathetic way the U.S. has performed leading up to the World Cup.
it'd be too emotionally draining to get my hopes up after they put together a solid game and follow it up with a lost game or two because of inopportune turnovers
Old 05-29-2002, 12:30 PM   #19
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

I agree, the US is very streaky. It's too bad they are not playing the world cup in the US this year. We are something like 12-2-2 over our last 16 at home. They have been good in the world cup tune-ups except for one stinker against the Germans, I believe. Like I said, if the defense holds up, it will be a fun time for any american sport fan to watch. Just watch one US game, you will get into it...
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
Old 05-29-2002, 01:13 PM   #20
Murphy3
Guru

it's disappointing to see a costly turnover in your own end lead to a basket in baskteball..but to see a costly turnover in your own end lead to a goal in soccer, that's devastating and usually will lose a match/game for you.

Old 05-29-2002, 01:28 PM   #21
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

I could not possibly care less about soccer. I refereed for a 4-year-olds soccer league one season, when I was about 16. We did actually keep score. It was funny, once, I was reffing a game and my boss' kid was on the red team. The ball went out of play off of a kid on the other team and I said &quot;red ball,&quot; and he insisted on telling me that I was wrong, the ball was not red, the ball was mostly white. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 02:44 PM   #22
Rattlers17

Rattlers17 is on a distinguished road

I admit Mexico has not been very dominent or playing that well, but I wouldnt go so far to say that America has taken over at the top club in central-south-north America. Mexico was playing terrible a year ago, but it has really come together since Aguirre has tooken over as coach, before he took over Mexico wasnt expected to be in the cup at all. They got a great young team and star players in Blanco and Campos and I'm not saying thier going to win it all but they will leave a mark. U.S.A. is highly overrated. Arena has'nt even decided whos starting at goalie and alot of most of thier guys have zero experiece in World Cup soccer. It's going to be a uphill battle for them.
Old 05-29-2002, 03:22 PM   #23
PeterVecseyisdumb

PeterVecseyisdumb is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a big soccer fan. I think Portugal is the best soccer team in the world, right now. I think Portugal will win the World Cup.
PeterVecseyisdumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 03:48 PM   #24
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

I don't watch soccer much, so I'll cheer for the US!

I LOOOOVED playing the game for fun while in Austria in '94 and shortly after returning to the states. It is sooo much fun, though I was injury prone (nothing too serious, but those big ol' bruises were ugly).

Soccer is a great sport! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-29-2002, 05:14 PM   #25
The Crippler
Diamond Member

you have to be rated highly to be considered overrated. No one respects US soccer, therefore they are not overrated. Furthermore, who starts in goal is not really a big deal when both of your choices are better than 85% of goalkeepers in the world. Friedel and Keller are both world-class keepers.

I do like your Portugal prediction, although I am still favoring France to repeat. Their offense is dominant, and can score almost at will. If they have to win 5-3, they will. If they have to win 1-0, they will.
Old 05-29-2002, 05:42 PM   #26
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Bow down to the masters: GERMANY.
- Qualified for the tourney 16 times (a feat that only Brazil was able to achieve too, and it´s much more difficult when having to qualify in Europe. We have only lost 1 qualification match in 100 Years of action).
- Been to the final 7 times which is a world record (tied by Brazil once again).
- Won three titles: 54, 74, 90. Surpassed only by the 4 brazilian wins.

I don´t expect us to be that good this year (maybe quarterfinals), but we´ll be champs in 2006 when the world cup will be held in germany. We have a lot of great young players who´ll be in their prime by that time.

The obvious favorites for this year are France and to a lesser degree Argentine. Italy should also be able to make some noise because of their defense (Canavaro, Nesta). The dark horse for the title is Brazil, because they are underestimated. Scolari has nominated a lot of players who are actually playing in Brazil and not somewhere in Europe. While some think this was wrong because he left a lot of strong players at home, I think it was a very good move. It will vastly improve team chemistry which was the biggest problem of the 98 team (still finishing second though).
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 05:50 PM   #27
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

And to those of you who think the game is boring, there are two reasons for that: the US team sucks. It´d be much more exciting for you to follow the games if your team could actually compete.
Biggest reason: you do not really understand the game. It´s not nearly as simple as it might look.
It´s the exact same thing with baseball in Europe. Many people think it´s boring cause they don´t understand it. Only that in this case it looks a lot more difficult than it actually is for peopple who don´t know.
Old 05-29-2002, 08:15 PM   #28
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

I am actually looking forward to the World Cup. I watch soccer very rarely, but will tune into quite a few World Cup games.

Fidel I think you are right on about many American's view on soccer. The fact is most, not all, have not played it at a competitive level or grown up watching it. Hence we have no superstars to idolize, and our understanding of the game subtracts from the enjoyment level.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 08:40 PM   #29
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL well I admit it is boring as hell to watch (though indoor soccer is mildly amusing) but it's real fun to play.

That's a good summary.

The USA has a good shot at coming out of their pool in the #2 slot, but not much of a chance this time around after that. They are in a tough opening pool.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 11:18 PM   #30
NotEnuffEyesToSee

NotEnuffEyesToSee is on a distinguished road

Nobody's mentioned Korean team, well Gus Hiddink said &quot;We're gonna shock the world&quot;.
I still believe Argentina will win the FIFA cup ...
Too many lives to lead Not enough time
It's too late
NotEnuffEyesToSee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 07:44 AM   #31
Murphy3
Guru

Fidel, there's alot of things that I DO understand that i think are totally boring.
Tennis - played competitively for around a decade. I love playing it but it's painful to watch except for Agassi, Hingis and Capriati (and chrissy and mac). I have an extraordinary understanding of this sport however i have no problem saying it is almost always boring to watch.
Chess - I love playing and have done so for 20 years however, it is boring as hell to watch
soccer - it is an ok sport to play and there's no problem understanding the game but it is boring to watch
Old 05-30-2002, 08:40 AM   #32
Dooby
Diamond Member

<< And to those of you who think the game is boring, there are two reasons for that: the US team sucks. It´d be much more exciting for you to follow the games if your team could actually compete.
Biggest reason: you do not really understand the game. It´s not nearly as simple as it might look.
It´s the exact same thing with baseball in Europe. Many people think it´s boring cause they don´t understand it. Only that in this case it looks a lot more difficult than it actually is for peopple who don´t know.
>>

Hey all non-USA'ers, I don't think you guys understand the state of soccer in the USA. It is improving and growing as a sport and in popularity. That being said, youth soccer is run by a bunch of new age morons. Speaking from my own experience, most kids in the USA suburbs played soccer as little kids and then moved on to other sports. Why? Because it isn't treated as a sport; competition is de-emphasized in favor of lovey-dovey new age lets just have fun and run around high-jinks.

Old 05-30-2002, 08:49 AM   #33
Murphy3
Guru

well, alot of it has to do with the kids not wanting to play soccer anymore.. i, like many other kids were pushed into soccer at an early age and couldn't wait to get the hell out
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2002, 07:31 PM   #34
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

SOCCER- very boring to watch. My friend and I have this arguement all the time. I tell him I cant beleive you can sit at a game where the final can be 0-0, and he says &quot;well, that can happen in hockey as well!&quot; Sure- but at least in Hockey you will have some freakin shots on goal!! I cannot figure out what all the fuss is about with soccer?? If the world cup was across the street, I wouldnt go..Ok- id go, but just to check out the babes...lol
Old 05-30-2002, 08:19 PM   #35
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

<<
Hey all non-USA'ers, I don't think you guys understand the state of soccer in the USA. It is improving and growing as a sport and in popularity. That being said, youth soccer is run by a bunch of new age morons. Speaking from my own experience, most kids in the USA suburbs played soccer as little kids and then moved on to other sports. Why? Because it isn't treated as a sport; competition is de-emphasized in favor of lovey-dovey new age lets just have fun and run around high-jinks.
>>

And of course, it's just not sport if two dads can't get out there and beat each other to death.
We need more of that in sport, how dare they try &amp; take the competitiveness out of it.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 08:34 PM   #36
Fidel
Diamond Member

Murphy, there are different ways of &quot;understanding&quot; a game. For a European it´s pretty easy to understand that a team has to gain 10 yards on max. 4 downs to get a new first down in Football. It´s also simple to understand that you get 6 points for a touchdown, or what a touchdown is. But ask someone who´s not really interessted in Football what a Toss Sweep is or what the duties of a cornerback are. You´ve got the same situation in Soccer. It´s pretty easy to figure out that the ball has got to go into the goal, or what offsides is but there´s a lot more to the game than that. It´s the combination of team strategies and tactics and individual matchups and achievements that makes it exciting to watch.
And by the way: I like watching Tennis.

Reeds, a 0-0 can be exciting if the game means something to you. With all the tradition involved a 0-0 between England and Germany at the World Cup can be a hell of an exciting game. Same goes if you are supporting a certain club team. Meanless games like preseason games ARE boring to watch most of the time.
Old 05-30-2002, 08:35 PM   #37
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

That wasn't necessary.

Anyway..to get back ON TOPIC....my World cup pick is France.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 08:36 PM   #38
Fidel
Diamond Member

And Murphy, just in case, I´m not saying that YOU don´t understand the game. Maybe you´re an expert at it.
Old 05-30-2002, 08:38 PM   #39
Fidel
Diamond Member

Doc, talkin to me or Veruca?
Old 05-30-2002, 08:39 PM   #40
ArcticBlast

ArcticBlast is on a distinguished road

I'm slowly becoming a soccer fan, but it's taking me a while. So, while I half-heartedly care about the World Cup this year, I'll just watch the highlights. Maybe next year..