Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 10-30-2003, 06:00 PM   #41
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Opening night for James

Quote:
Originally posted by: Big Boy Laroux
man, that commerical bugs me too! where's the shot-clock violation!

but man, he looked good. his vision is pretty durn good. he does like to go up in the air a lot to make his passes, which is bad fundamentals. but i'll forgive him for it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
He's in the air so freekin long, he's got time to panic, calm down, then make the right pass. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2003, 06:06 PM   #42
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

ReDIRKulous is on a distinguished road

Quote:
are you saying he tanked it in those games cuz they were not important????
Did you see the quote I just posted?

I don't think LeBron was Tanking on purpose... but I don't think he was playing at full speed -- at all. I have watched every nationally televised game he has been a part of and it is totally obvious that he wasn't playing at anywhere near full speed in his preseason games. I thought he was really nervous or something or he was fatigued in the preseason, but I don't believe that now.
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
ReDIRKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 07:17 PM   #43
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

[quote]
Originally posted by: ReDIRKulous
[quote]
“Coach (Paul) Silas told me not to start too early....

so ReDirk is saying that from this quote we can substantiate the fact that he was not playing hard in preseason...this quote could not have meant for a particular game or quarter.....no according to ReDirk, my Dallas-Mavs.com buddy, this is proof that he did not try in the preseason...I don't think that is what James is saying....I know we can not use a confusing quote like this to say anything conclusively...and logic would tell you that James, a Rookie needing all the experience he can get...would need to play to his potential...oh well, like I said previously, unless there are better quotes to be found....no one can prove an opinion like this...but that is part of what is great about this site....fighting for unprovable conjectures

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 07:32 PM   #44
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

How many LeBron games have you watched Sike? How closely have you been following him and for how long?

There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
Old 10-30-2003, 08:48 PM   #45
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

Im not buying the "its ONE game" crap. Obviously it was just one game, but that game was full of pressure, full of expectations, full of hype- half the country watched it- and James came up HUGE- in his first game ever- at 18 years of age..that is all I needed to see..of course he will have his ups and downs, everyone does- but that kid is special. Anyone who dont beleive that doesnt know much about basketball. Did anyone see the little things he did? Giving up that monster dunk opp. to wait for the trailer Davis to dunk it?! What rookie does that in his first game? I watched it, and he could have easily scored more points if that was what he wanted- but he wanted him teammates involved. WOW- that is a special player at 18 years old..I give him this year, next, and year three- he will be the best in the game. Better than Kobe,McGrady,Garnett,Kidd,Dirk, everyone...JMHO
Old 10-30-2003, 11:14 PM   #46
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Did anyone see that pass he just made.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 11:27 PM   #47
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

The skip bounce pass? Or that outlet pass? Either way he is an amazing passer. He looks a little tired tonight and the Suns D looks pretty intense, at least active.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:37 PM   #48
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

The outlet was nice, but that skip pass was incredible.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 11:46 PM   #49
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

That skip pass was so fast you could barely see it... and it was perfectly placed. Who is a better passer in the league right now?

Edit: Is Barkley the anti-christ? What is his deal against LEBRon? It reminds me of his anti Mavs stance. Just blind hatred. Damn I am getting sick of Barkley.
Old 10-31-2003, 02:54 AM   #50
Shaq Attack2

Shaq Attack2 is on a distinguished road

Racks up 21 pts on 8-17 shooting (47%) with 12 rebounds and 8 assists. However, he was sloppy with the ball with 7 TO's, though a couple were fumbled by his teammates.

Another great all around game for LeBron.
Shaq Attack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 10:25 AM   #51
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Opening night for James

he did look a little more sloppy... but an almost triple double in his second game? damn!

that pass he had to boozer (the bounce pass down the middle of the lane) was awesome. seriously, all the "next jordan" things are crazy. this kid is the next magic. except a hell of a lot more athletic.

two sweet dunks in that game last night. one by lebron and one by chupacabra. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2003, 10:36 AM   #52
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Not to be a cliche, but Lebron is NOT the next anything skills-wise. He has the court-vision of Magic and the out-of-this world ability of Jordan combined. His mark is yet to be made in this league, but his potential is something this league has not yet seen.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 10:58 AM   #53
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Opening night for James

right, right, right. he's the first lebron. i know. i was just saying if i had to compare him to anyone, it would be magic. except a hell of alot more atheltic. like i said.
Old 10-31-2003, 01:27 PM   #54
Shaq Attack2

Agreed, LeBron looks to be an uber-Magic.
Old 10-31-2003, 01:38 PM   #55
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

Why was Kenny and Barkley saying the Cavs should find a real point guard though? Is it because LeBron can't take guys off the dribble at will? I say give the kid time, he can become a great point guard.
Old 10-31-2003, 01:48 PM   #56
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Why was Kenny and Barkley saying the Cavs should find a real point guard though? Is it because LeBron can't take guys off the dribble at will? I say give the kid time, he can become a great point guard.
If I remember correctly, they were making the distinction between a pure point guard and a "scoring point" guard. And with Lebron's scoring ability I think they were making the case that Lebron will be more effective in Cleveland playing shooting guard instead.
Old 10-31-2003, 02:54 PM   #57
Shaq Attack2

Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex
Quote:
If I remember correctly, they were making the distinction between a pure point guard and a "scoring point" guard. And with Lebron's scoring ability I think they were making the case that Lebron will be more effective in Cleveland playing shooting guard instead.
I'd like LeBron at the 3, actually. He can utilize his passing and athleticism there, both offensively and defensively. Being 6-8 doesn't hurt.
Old 10-31-2003, 02:57 PM   #58
kingrex
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Shaq Attack2
Quote:
Quote:
I'd like LeBron at the 3, actually. He can utilize his passing and athleticism there, both offensively and defensively. Being 6-8 doesn't hurt.
With his mad skills as long as he's on the floor it's a plus it seems.

But like you pointed out being 6'8" he will dominate even more against smaller shooting guards, right?
Old 10-31-2003, 02:58 PM   #59
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

What does everyone think this kid will be averaging by season's end? (pts, rbs, and assists?)

I say: 18.2, 7.0, and 5.5
Old 10-31-2003, 03:00 PM   #60
Shaq Attack2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: Shaq Attack2
Quote:
Quote:
With his mad skills as long as he's on the floor it's a plus it seems.

But like you pointed out being 6'8" he will dominate even more against smaller shooting guards, right?
Actually I'd rather have LeBron banging inside because Davis can handle the league's shooting guards just fine by himself (save for obvious greats like Tmac and Kobe).

Then again, LeBron is such a damn fine passer (and the best one of the Cavs) that you can't help but want him to initiate everything.
Old 10-31-2003, 03:04 PM   #61
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

Quote:
Then again, LeBron is such a damn fine passer (and the best one of the Cavs) that you can't help but want him to initiate everything
This is what I am wondering about... it would make me sick to see the ball taken out of LeBron's hands.
Old 10-31-2003, 03:05 PM   #62
kingrex
Platinum Member

Again, whether playing point, shooting guard or small forward, what a great problem for Cleveland to have.

Lebron is the future, and he'll be Jordanesque in how he influences the outcome of a game.
Old 10-31-2003, 04:59 PM   #63
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Quote:
Then again, LeBron is such a damn fine passer (and the best one of the Cavs) that you can't help but want him to initiate everything
This is what I am wondering about... it would make me sick to see the ball taken out of LeBron's hands.
you're all right..the ball must go through him every possession

in the first two cavs games, down the stretch, they started letting ricky davis and bremer do the handling and that's what cost them
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote