Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 10-29-2003, 10:32 PM   #1
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all
Default Opening night for James

Game starts same time as the Mavs. I would have liked to have watched some of it. I imagine he will struggle.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2003, 11:13 PM   #2
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Opening night for James

Lebron isn't struggling by any means.

He's has 12 points on 6-9 shooting through the 1st quarter. He also 2 Reb, 3 Steals, and 3 Assists
Old 10-29-2003, 11:22 PM   #3
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

Much to my suprise, Lebron is actually showing his stuff. He's looking confident and ready for the NBA. This has got to be a fluke!
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 11:44 PM   #4
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

glad to see it. I like the guy, and wish him well. I just think he will struggle greatly this year. Could be wrong though

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 11:47 PM   #5
Fah Q
Golden Member

Stats at the half

21 min, 12 pts, 6-10 fg, 6 as, 3 rbs, 3 st, 0 TO
Old 10-29-2003, 11:52 PM   #6
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

HATE the commercial where he pauses for 20 seconds though. Tired of it the FIRST time I saw it and I've seen it about a dozen times so far.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 11:55 PM   #7
Fah Q
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Max Power
HATE the commercial where he pauses for 20 seconds though. Tired of it the FIRST time I saw it and I've seen it about a dozen times so far.
20 seconds my @ss, he pauses for almost a minute. I counted.(before anyone makes fun of me, I know I need too get a life)
Old 10-29-2003, 11:59 PM   #8
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: Max Power
At the beginning of the commercial, if you look at the shot clock it says 17 seconds, and he pauses for longer than that. So it doesn't even make sense.
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 01:13 AM   #9
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future
Default RE: Opening night for James

the guy put up a great line tonight.

some of the highlights i saw were completely unbelieveable.

25 pts, 9 dimes, 7 boards.

WOW.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 01:26 AM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

lebron made some flat out amazing plays....
good for him..he seems to be a good kid
Murphy3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 01:27 AM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

oh yeah..the kid had 9 assists with only 2 TO's..plus, he had 4 steals
Old 10-30-2003, 02:03 AM   #12
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

i think it's safe to say that this guy is for real

they were ultra competitive against the kings...who don't miss a beat even with webber out, now that they have miller

did someone say 8th seed, if they can get ricky davis to calm down in the clutch?
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 02:15 AM   #13
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

ReDIRKulous is on a distinguished road

The Cavs have GOT to get rid of Ricky Davis. That guy is the absolute worst guy to play along side LeBRon, unless used as an example of what NOT to do.

There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
ReDIRKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 02:20 AM   #14
Shaq Attack2

Shaq Attack2 is on a distinguished road

I love this guy, he's truly an amazing player at only 18 years old. He's got the body, mind, and (apparently) the discipline to become a superstar. I think his passing is the best part of his game, it compliments his athleticism and speed very well.
Shaq Attack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 02:22 AM   #15
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe he played that well with all the pressure on him. I hope he does well, otherwise they'll tear him down as quick as they're building him up. Just imagine being a high school kid having to face him last year.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:48 AM   #16
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

man, that commerical bugs me too! where's the shot-clock violation!

but man, he looked good. his vision is pretty durn good. he does like to go up in the air a lot to make his passes, which is bad fundamentals. but i'll forgive him for it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2003, 11:58 AM   #17
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Lebron looks impressive for his first official game. Add to that the fact that it was at Arco, against an upper echelon NBA team and finally the fact that he is only 18.

I have seen the future and the future is Lebron!
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 01:07 PM   #18
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

Here is what is amazing. Kobes first game = 0 points. Kwame =2 points. Chandler =1, Garnett =8, McGrady =0....Lebron =25!!! and he sat most of the 2nd quarter....wow. This kid sure doesnt look like a kid on the court- he is UNREAL. And will only get better. I never thought I would see another player as great as Jordan, but now, it might happen.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:10 PM   #19
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

And almost like from a hollywood script, he even wears #23. It couldn't be more perfect even if the WWF scripted it.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:27 PM   #20
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex
And almost like from a hollywood script, he even wears #23. It couldn't be more perfect even if the WWF scripted it.
You know this is killing Kobe. lol LeBRon is living the life that Kobe only dreamed of; the real evolution of Michael Jordan or the NBA mega star, wearing number 23 but this kid has his own identity - Kobe tried to copy MJ too much for my taste. LeBRon also has his own team... he doesn't have to live in anyones shadow and LEBRon will get all the credit for his teams successes. And his teammates love him... and he ALREADY signed a bigger shoe deal than Kobe!
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
Old 10-30-2003, 01:30 PM   #21
kingrex
Platinum Member

Kobe is just as talented as Lebron.

The big difference is how they come off. Lebron, like Jordan, somehow comes across as a hero and Kobe just a big jerk.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:07 PM   #22
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

I think Kobe is a really really smart basketball player... but I don't think he is anywhere near as athletic as LeBron... and I hoenstly don't think he is anywhere near as talented as LeBron. I see LeBron as a prodigy... like a basketball genius and Kobe as someone that had a lot of basketball knowledge at a young age because of his environment, his dad being an ex player and playing with Euro league players. Kobe seems forced to me... LeBron's game and personality seems natural.
Old 10-30-2003, 03:33 PM   #23
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

The one single difference is Kobe from the VERY BEGINNING was always trying to show everyone how great of an individual player he was. Where as LeBron is just playing and more concerned with trying to make his team better. Kobe had to LEARN this is a team sport aht was nothing that he realized right from the beginning.
Old 10-30-2003, 03:45 PM   #24
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Kobe had to LEARN this is a team sport aht was nothing that he realized right from the beginning.
kobe's learned this?
Old 10-30-2003, 03:55 PM   #25
kingrex
Platinum Member

Kobe has learned it, but will his ego allow him to be second fiddle to Shaq for much longer?
Old 10-30-2003, 03:59 PM   #26
Murphy3
Guru

Perhaps he's learned it, but just doesn't like to put that knowledge to good use.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:01 PM   #27
Shaq Attack2

Shaq Attack2 is on a distinguished road

I honestly believe LeBron can be better than Kobe, though don't tell that to the Kobe homers over at LakersTalk, they worship Kobe like a god.

LeBron is clearly a confident and composed NBA player beyond his years. It'll be exciting to see him and Kobe go at it. Can you imagine seeing battles between a 22 year old LeBron and a 29 year old Kobe?
Shaq Attack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 04:02 PM   #28
kingrex
Platinum Member

And that difference is what makes Lebron truly great.

Lebron gets it, and Kobe is self-absorbed.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:09 PM   #29
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Shaq Attack2
I honestly believe LeBron can be better than Kobe, though don't tell that to the Kobe homers over at LakersTalk, they worship Kobe like a god.

LeBron is clearly a confident and composed NBA player beyond his years. It'll be exciting to see him and Kobe go at it. Can you imagine seeing battles between a 22 year old LeBron and a 29 year old Kobe?
that will almost be as exciting as watching Dirk vs KG or Dirk vs TD
Old 10-30-2003, 04:10 PM   #30
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Perhaps he's learned it, but just doesn't like to put that knowledge to good use.
forget not jinxing the kid....he was freakin awesome...I could'nt see THE MAVS game(anyone else have this problem?) so I checked him out....yeah their are holes.....but most All Stars have more than this kid.....CRAP! I hate to do this to him, but he looks like a more athletic Magic.....CRAP CRAP CRAP!!!!! He can't be this good...but HE IS!!! I hate that!

he is so very far further along in the mind than KOBE was when he came in....Kobe was a selfish brat....has he changer?.....but this kid has the mind of a winner.....being interviewed last night...they kept trying to get him to talk about himself...when asked if he was pleased with his numbers...he said that he can't think like that, we lost and we could have won!!!!!!! CRAP! HE'S NOT A PUNK...NOW I don't hate him like I thought I would....am i crazy...even if this guy does struggle..and he will..he still has his head on straight...and that is lightyears ahead of someone like Kobe!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 04:11 PM   #31
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

forgive my last post....I'm tired...and hungry...and the little blue men won't leave me alone....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 10-30-2003, 04:15 PM   #32
kingrex
Platinum Member

Unfortunately, he is playing for the spare organizations that is Cleveland.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:21 PM   #33
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

I'll tell you, LeBron's attitude and personality is a breath of fresh air after years of Kobe's "me me me" attitude. Lebron just seems like the coolest kid. danny Ainge finally got something right when he said 'LeBron is a people person, and a natural leader.'

So, what is the official story on LeBron's preseason? He must have been playing possum. Was this some scheme by Silas to prevent knee-jerking in the future when LeBron has some minor slump. It is hilarious to read all the pregame articles about LeBron's debut. They all say that Carmelo is a lock for rookie of the year and LeBron is going to struggle. I swear Silas just wanted to make the media look like fools. He fooled me too though... I was surprised, and worried about LeBron's lack of production from the Summer leagues to the preseason games.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:27 PM   #34
sike
The Preacha

ReDirk, despite my excitement for James...the difference between the struggles of Preseason and success of last night is very simple: one game!

he played poorly in some of preseason...and he played well in his debut...the difference is that he played well...

you might say that is the "what" and not the "Why",...but that is what even great rookies do, some nights the play well and other nights they look, well, just like rookies!

Old 10-30-2003, 04:59 PM   #35
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

I will admit- I am a big KOBE fan- I think he is a super superstar..but from what I seen last night- James can be better...I cant even imagine how good this kid will be....
Old 10-30-2003, 05:05 PM   #36
Murphy3
Guru

it's easy to see the great skills that James possesses.
But, it was just one game against a team that loves to get the ball up and down the court.. which played right into James' style of play.

Plus, James hit his jumpers. There's no telling how well he'll shoot the ball early in his career from the outside..that's yet to be determined.
But, he does have tremendous court vision, so he'll be a valuable asset as a rookie regardless of whether or not he struggles from the field.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:15 PM   #37
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

LeBron is a much, much, better shooter than he showed in the preseason and even summer league. But there was some quote forom James I read last night and he said that Silas told him to take it easy in the preseason. Maybe he was joking though.

Quote:
ReDirk, despite my excitement for James...the difference between the struggles of Preseason and success of last night is very simple: one game!
I disagree. His preseason and debut were like night and day in comparison. James seemed to be going at half speed(maximum) in the preseason. It seemed like he was treating it like a pratice... which it essentially is.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:29 PM   #38
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
it's easy to see the great skills that James possesses.
But, it was just one game against a team that loves to get the ball up and down the court.. which played right into James' style of play.

Plus, James hit his jumpers. There's no telling how well he'll shoot the ball early in his career from the outside..that's yet to be determined.
But, he does have tremendous court vision, so he'll be a valuable asset as a rookie regardless of whether or not he struggles from the field.
Exactly, it was just ONE game. This guy does seem to have the potential to be a superstar, no doubt about it, but let's all just wait a while before we tout him as the next Jordan. Is he the next Jordan? Will he be better than Jordan? I doubt it, but certainly time will tell.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:44 PM   #39
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

Quote:
“Coach (Paul) Silas told me not to start too early. I like criticism. It makes you strong,” James said.
I wouldn't say that LeBron is the next Jordan after one performance... because Jordan's greatness was his consitency and longevity and dominance night in and night out. But I can say that he is the first player since Jordan to be in class of Jodan Magic and Bird talentwise.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:56 PM   #40
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: ReDIRKulous
LeBron is a much, much, better shooter than he showed in the preseason and even summer league. But there was some quote forom James I read last night and he said that Silas told him to take it easy in the preseason. Maybe he was joking though.

Quote:
I disagree. His preseason and debut were like night and day in comparison. James seemed to be going at half speed(maximum) in the preseason. It seemed like he was treating it like a pratice... which it essentially is.
are you saying he tanked it in those games cuz they were not important???? that does not sould like he has the character you thought he did in your post!...and don't be all, "the really great ones show up when it counts"...that is not what Lebron is doing....he is just a Rook and that is what they do....
If you disagree that is fine....neither of us can prove our argument either way!...I just don't think he would hold back...not this kid.