Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-10-2006, 09:00 PM   #41
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

It's a wonder how the Hornets still can't manage to end their 17 game losing streak to us (seeing how we're tied after 3) even with Dirk, Jet, Stack, and Devin gone, and our whole team not shooting well.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:06 PM   #42
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackAttack
Pre-Game on 103.3: Dirk, JET with foot issue (wtf?), Stack (with knee), Devin Harris (hamstring - is a MAJOR INJURY supposedly, Mavs don't expect him to play "anytime soon") are all not in the arena.
I guess Anthony Johnson will get a lot of minutes to begin the season. Devin Harris can never stay healthy.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:07 PM   #43
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure they aren't just sitting the players out? Sometimes they just say they have a "sore injury" not to play them.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:10 PM   #44
sp3nc3r13

sp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nice

Dirk, Jet, Stack injuries all not serious. Don't know about Devin's.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:21 PM   #45
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

Dirk isn't injured at all, it's a precautionary thing. JET sounds like he just has a sore foot or something, no deal. And Stack's knees are something we'll have to get used to. Again.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:26 PM   #46
joebobbill

joebobbill will become famous soon enoughjoebobbill will become famous soon enough

Dirk is in Germany watching the Phoenix/Philadelpia game
joebobbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:47 PM   #47
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

did the hornets play any of their starters?
Old 10-10-2006, 09:59 PM   #48
joebobbill

joebobbill will become famous soon enoughjoebobbill will become famous soon enough

I could only listen.

The hornets played their starters most of the game. Peja didn't suit up.

Dirk, Jet, Stack and Devin didn't play.

Josh had his usual game. Damp was on. Diop seemed a bit listless.

Mbenga only played the 4th quarter, but seemed to dominate.

Of the new players with experience, AJ impressed. Buckner seemed on his game. George and Croshere played their roles, but didn't impress.

Of the rookies, Ager and Barea had their moments. Mensah-Bonsu seemed active on defense, but disappeared on offense. Washington did not impress.

Pat Carroll and Ndudi Ebi didn't play.

End of the game, Avery had the following team on the floor. It was a 2 or 3 point game and Avery used it see how the rookies performed under (some) pressure. Avery wanted a time out with a couple of seconds left to move the ball to the front court and run a set play. The rookies didn't notice.

Ager (played the Stack role)
Barea (7 assists, started 2 fastbreaks in the last 2 minutes)
Washington
Benga
Mensa-Bonsu
joebobbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:17 PM   #49
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

[sarcasm] OMG we lost to the Hornets we're suposed to be the WCC! how do we lose to the HORNETS of all teams!?? We're in for a rough season.[/sarcasm]
Old 10-10-2006, 11:19 PM   #50
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

How the HELL did the hornets beat the mavs with the MIP playing!! Dangit....
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:26 PM   #51
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
How the HELL did the hornets beat the mavs with the MIP playing!! Dangit....
Lol

Even without Dirk, JET, Stack and Devin I still expected us to win this game. Not that it matters, but I'd still like the W's

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:51 PM   #52
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Barea 7 dimes in 24 minutes...interesting.

damp with O boards...always a nice sign.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:52 PM   #53
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
but I'd still like the W's
couldn't care less about preseason records...I want to see if the young guns have anything and if the team is showing any early chemistry...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 10-10-2006, 11:56 PM   #54
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike

When you factor in the 3 turnovers it doesn't look as good. Pretty interesting that Ebi and Carrol didn't play. Does this give us a signal or is Avery just planning on switching off between Washington/JJB and Ebi/Carrol?
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:02 AM   #55
sike
The Preacha

at this point, #1, I can overlook some turnovers and blame them on rust and lack of chemistry...but you can't explain away 7 dimes in 23. I know what you mean, I'm not even saying the kid will make the team....just that it is a "nice" stat to look at after one preseason game.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:23 AM   #56
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike

Barea was dishing out dimes like Bledose dishes out interceptions. It just wouldn't stop!

And Benga was hitting the midrange jumper with poise and ease. The big Congan may just end up being a healthy mix of Shawn Bradley, Roy Tarpley, and Sam Perkins all rolled into one! Pity the league if Diop brings the defensive presence, Damp brings the muscle and the offensive rebounds, and Benga provides some scoring punch to go along with the shotblocking. Never before, and likely never again, will the league lay witness to such a ferocious, hungry, skilled and talented three-headed monster as the one that currently calls the AAC home.

Last edited by chumdawg; 10-11-2006 at 12:23 AM.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:27 AM   #57
sike
The Preacha

oil it up and let the hyperbole machine get up and running again...

Old 10-11-2006, 01:31 AM   #58
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 02:21 AM   #59
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackAttack
Pre-Game on 103.3: Devin Harris (hamstring - is a MAJOR INJURY supposedly, Mavs don't expect him to play "anytime soon") are all not in the arena.
Anyone have any details on this? I haven't seen it anywhere else but here.

The Star T says he hurt it at the fan jam. How does one get a major injury at Fan Jam?

Last edited by G-Man; 10-11-2006 at 02:22 AM.
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:35 AM   #60
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man
Anyone have any details on this? I haven't seen it anywhere else but here.

The Star T says he hurt it at the fan jam. How does one get a major injury at Fan Jam?
As part of the Star-Telegram's training camp notes

Harris out

Devin Harris (strained left hamstring) is likely out the next 7-10 days, Avery Johnson said. The third-year point guard suffered the injury in Sunday's scrimmage, and Johnson wants to be especially cautious with Harris, who missed 24 games last season with a strained thigh.

"I don't like hamstrings," Johnson said.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:02 AM   #61
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
that pic of mbenga is awesome
true.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:36 AM   #62
Darke

Darke has a spectacular aura aboutDarke has a spectacular aura aboutDarke has a spectacular aura about

Barea will make the team due to Devins harmstrings. 7 Assists and that without Dirk, Jet and Stack on the floor. Nice.
Darke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:15 AM   #63
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Barea was dishing out dimes like Bledose dishes out interceptions. It just wouldn't stop!

And Benga was hitting the midrange jumper with poise and ease. The big Congan may just end up being a healthy mix of Shawn Bradley, Roy Tarpley, and Sam Perkins all rolled into one! Pity the league if Diop brings the defensive presence, Damp brings the muscle and the offensive rebounds, and Benga provides some scoring punch to go along with the shotblocking. Never before, and likely never again, will the league lay witness to such a ferocious, hungry, skilled and talented three-headed monster as the one that currently calls the AAC home.
Hoo Rah!! Let's goooooooooooo!!!
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 10-11-2006, 08:16 AM   #64
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
true.
what pic?
Old 10-11-2006, 08:27 AM   #65
sike
The Preacha

page one...first post.

the decision on Devin's hammy sounds peventative...they want to make sure he's ok...

(talking to Devin) don't screw up this opportunity young man...you'll only so many chances to be the starting point guard of the Dallas Mavericks.

Old 10-11-2006, 08:35 AM   #66
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
what pic?
The one of Benga at the beginning of the thread.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:58 PM   #67
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Barea was playing with a completely new team, in a new system, without our money offensive players and picked up 7 assists in 23 minutes. That's incredible. 3TO at game 83 of an NBA player's career isnt great but for what was a messy pickup game without a lot of offensive firepower and without knowing ANY of the offensive tendencies of his teammates? That is sensational.

There are two stat categories that are almost impossible to teach: blocks and assists. M'Benga is here because he could time his blocks and everything else can be taught. Barea needs to be here for that same reason-- his shot can improve, his strength can improve and other things can improve but if you have someone that has raw ability like that you have to keep them until you make sure they can't improve into NBA talent.

I'm not saying that he has NBA talent yet or will ever, but IF his seven assists to complete strangers translate into effective passing in regular season games once he knows his team, then we have a real winner. Big guys that can shoot are a dime a dozen. Athletic forward-tweeners are a dime a dozen. small guards that can't pass are a dime a dozen, but how many one guards can punish an offense with a pass in the league now? 6? 8? Thats out of 30 teams. Even Terry is a subpar playmaker.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 10-11-2006 at 05:15 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:22 PM   #68
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta luv that DJ. Six points, five boards, 1 block,, 2 steals ONLY 2 fouls and 1 TO in 19+ minutes. Not bad for a third string center. Let's get on the DJ bandwagon!

Only 8 minutes for Diop....hmmmm
purplefrog is offline   Reply With Quote