Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 12-12-2002, 12:33 AM   #41
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Doc, as someone who is closer to the Baylor situation than myself I have a couple of questions.

Do you really believe that Baylor can compete in the Big XII being such as small school? I am thinking that there (correct me if I am wrong) is not a small private school in a major conference that is a perrenial bowl team.

How much does being labeled a consernative baptist University hurt reruiting>

Will the Bears leave for another conference in the next few years?

i would love to get your take. I don't think the Bears can ever compete in the Big12. i believe a combination of things hurts them, from the conservative university, to it's size, to the city of Waco.

Again not trying to flame, but I am just wondering what your thoughts on the matter are.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2002, 12:49 AM   #42
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

dreaded double post...sorry....
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 12:50 AM   #43
Drbio
Banned

Do you really believe that Baylor can compete in the Big XII being such as small school? I am thinking that there (correct me if I am wrong) is not a small private school in a major conference that is a perrenial bowl team.

Yes I do. The University of Miami is a pretty good private school but of course is larger. Notre Dame believe it or not is not all that much bigger.

------------------------------------------------------

How much does being labeled a consernative baptist University hurt reruiting

Not much really. As a matter of fact, it actually helps more than it might hurt. A lot of players are attracted by a program where their christian ideals can be shared openly.

This is the easiest question. Absolutely not. Football is only one facet of conference membership. Baylor easily is i the top 2-3 schools academically and in many areas. On the sports front, our other sports fare ok in some areas, excel in others.

No flames taken at all. Let's be honest and candid....football drives perceptions of major colleges these days and Baylor has, quite frankly, stunk it up in that arena. Baylor is a unique place that attracts a lot of people for different reasons. I went to Coach Morriss' press conference today and was very impressed. I think he is a man that will support Baylor's philosophies and will bring a winner to Waco. I think he and his very high powered staff will recruit well in Texas and turn this thing around soon. We aren't goiong to be national champs anytime soon mind you, but we will compete. I'm proud of this school and it really is an honor and a pleasure to work for them. It's a family atmosphere here and I wouldn't trade it for the world.
Old 12-12-2002, 01:22 AM   #44
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Doc, I hope you are right, I would love to see another good team in the Big12, my concern is that is has gotten more difficult for the private institutions to recuit, and Baylor without a tremendous football history will be unable to overcome that. I actually thought a Notre Dame when I posted that, but did not include them because, well it is Notre Dame. They can still recruit on a name, something Baylor obviously cannot. Hell it is something only a handful of schools can.

I wish your Bears luck in the nest few seasons, but I don't see how it will happen.

My scenario:

I am a kid with offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Txas A&M, Texas Tech & Baylor on the table I think it will be tough to win that battle.

this may sound a bit odd, but whoever is coaching at Baylor better start his recruiting with the Parents.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 10:17 AM   #45
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

<< Do you really believe that Baylor can compete in the Big XII being such as small school? I am thinking that there (correct me if I am wrong) is not a small private school in a major conference that is a perrenial bowl team.

Yes I do. The University of Miami is a pretty good private school but of course is larger. Notre Dame believe it or not is not all that much bigger.
>>

<u>As an SMU fan, can I chime in too? The problem is the same as SMU's. The differences between SMU and Baylor and Miami, of course, is Miami and recent tradition. Miami has been in the top 25 for years and is in a major metropolitan area. I think you would be shocked at Miami's attendance numbers. They don't pull in 60,000 people a game. I may be wrong, but I think they get about 40,000 for their home games.

Dallas is in a major metropolitan area, too. But neither Baylor and SMU have done diddly-squat in the last several years. The question, as far as attendance as indicator of fan support/level of interest in the program, which has a direct impact on quality of program, is where does Baylor max out? Are there enough people willing to travel to Waco six times a year from Houston or Dallas to see Baylor play and can Baylor define itself as a representative of its region?</u>

How much does being labeled a consernative baptist University hurt reruiting

Not much really. As a matter of fact, it actually helps more than it might hurt. A lot of players are attracted by a program where their christian ideals can be shared openly.

<u>Doc is absoluteley right.</u>

This is the easiest question. Absolutely not. Football is only one facet of conference membership. Baylor easily is i the top 2-3 schools academically and in many areas. On the sports front, our other sports fare ok in some areas, excel in others. [/i] >>

<u>Again, Doc is exactly right (as far as football). Financially, it is better to be the big 12 whipping boy than the dominant force in the WAC. Baylor's best course of action is to schedule 4 division one creampuffs every year and hope for 2 Big 12 wins. But right now, Baylor is not much better than most of the worst schools in the country (SMU included) and Baylor can't play Kansas every year.

But Doc is overstating the importance of non-revenue sports. Baylor sucks at football and basketball, everything else is gravy. SMU dominates nationwide and in the WAC in lots of sports, but SMU would bolt the WAC in a new york minute.

But that does not matter. Few people realize this, but college football armagedon is quickly approaching. When the ABC-BCS contract runs out, conveniently, so do most conference TV contracts and many schools contractual obligations to conferences. Baylor may not leave the Big 12, but the Big 12 may leave Baylor.</u>
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 07:31 PM   #46
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

Hope he stays that happy.
Old 12-13-2002, 12:33 AM   #47
Drbio
Banned

I was at the press conference. He did very well.