Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 11-03-2002, 06:55 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Baylor University has just announced the firing of head football coach Kevin Steele. He will finish the year at the request of his players, but he has been officially fired.

I'll comment later when I can digest and organize my thoughts. It was time, but I have some things to say.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2002, 08:57 PM   #2
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I have to admit I don't follow much Baylor football. How long has he been coaching?

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 11:21 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

This is his fourth year.

I completely expected it, but not until the end of the year. Kevin Steele was needed at Baylor. Former coaches Roberts and Reedy left this program in such a shambles that we needed a guy with moral fiber to repair it. The program was a train wreck.

Before Steele's arrival (and after Grant T.) the program had bottomed out. The players were always in trouble, there were numerous arrests, the players were awful students, disrespectful and immoral. The program had literally fallen apart.

Kevin Steele is a man of principle. He is a man of his word. He is a man with Christian ethics and morals. I appreciate the repair job he has done at Baylor University. He has turned the young men in this program into the kind of person that we can be proud of. Football wins are unimportant when dealing with the future of our students.

Steele instilled responsibility, respect, courtesy, self control, and honesty into the men in his care. We needed a guy like Steele to lay a very important foundation that this program could build on. I have always said that Kevin Steele was the right coach to fix this program, but not necessarily the right guy to lead the team to 8+ wins per season like we were used to in the 80's. Had Baylor University not hired a man with Steele's moral convictions, we would have been worse for it. He righted the ship for the next coach.

Am I surprised? No. I am disappointed that we did it during the season. It accomplishes nothing but rather puts a cloud over the young men in the program. That is patently unfair to those young men. I think Tom Stanton (the Athletic Director) has made an error in his handling of this situation. Had he let Steele go at the end of the year, I would have said nothing except goodbye. THis was handled poorly IMO.

I guess now we can start looking for a new guy....I just hope he doesn't deconstruct the outstanding foundation that Steele has put in place. This is a Christian University. A Baptist University. It is not easy to stick to a high set of standards these days. Steele did. He just didn't win football games while doing it.

I wish Kevin Steele nothing but the best in the future and ask that God bless his family.
Old 11-03-2002, 11:39 PM   #4
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

southern_sweets will become famous soon enoughsouthern_sweets will become famous soon enough

I agree. To do this during the season makes no sense if Steele is staying on. It seems unfair to him and the players.

I am sure that someone like Steele is likely to find that other schools would love to have him. A lot of the problems you mentioned Baylor having are still going on elsewhere. Let's hope he is given the opportunity to do what he did so well at Baylor some place where it is truly needed.
southern_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 01:04 AM   #5
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

You know drbio, when you put it like that, I feel sorry for the guy. Hope he gets employed somewhere. It sounds like he has done a good job.

Kind of reminds me how Dean was hired. North Carolina was on probation from Frank McGuire's recruiting violations (Dean said this was absolutely bogus, whether it's true I'm not sure because I wasn't alive at the time). McGuire left the team to Coach Wilt Chamberlain on the Warriors (I think?). North Carolina was also in trouble because players had supposedly bet on games. The program really was in shambles. Chancellor Aycock turned to Dean Smith, a 30 year old assistant coach at the time, and he asked Dean to field a team that the university could be proud of. Dean had a rough start (he still did decent considering all the restrictions he faced), but got the ship sailing in the right direction. Then it was all up from there.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 09:48 AM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Good analogy. Dean Smith is a class guy.
Old 11-07-2002, 05:28 PM   #7
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Who will Baylor get to replace Steele?

Hard to imagine it is a coveted job. Only benefit is Big-12 money, and that may not last for too many more years. I wouldn't want to coach the smallest and only private school in the Big 12. But hell, they turned Iowa State around.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 07:57 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Believe it or not...Baylor is a marquee job. A lot of interest is being shown. Some names being floated around are Terry Bowden, Dennis Franchione, several others....it's all speculation, but this is a Big 12 job. The pay will be good, the level of competition is as good as there is in the world, the University commits resources, etc etc etc.....I know a lot of folks don't think of us as a stellar job, but it is for a variety of reasons.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:45 AM   #9
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

<< Believe it or not...Baylor is a marquee job. A lot of interest is being shown. Some names being floated around are Terry Bowden, Dennis Franchione, several others....it's all speculation, but this is a Big 12 job. The pay will be good, the level of competition is as good as there is in the world, the University commits resources, etc etc etc.....I know a lot of folks don't think of us as a stellar job, but it is for a variety of reasons. >>

Doc, that kind of speculation will only lead to heartbreak. Franchione is not going to leave Alabama for Baylor. Bowden hasn't left his TV gig yet, and he has had lots of opportunities to do so.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 11-08-2002, 01:25 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

I'm not high on any of those guys....it's just an example. I don't want Franchione, although he has said he wants back in Texas and would prefer a Big 12 school. I also don't want Bowden....I just hate his papa too much to tolerate him. The alumni are posturing right now for a big name. I think you will see it. If not...there will be riots on campus and beyond.
Old 11-18-2002, 10:51 AM   #11
Dooby
Diamond Member

Found one rumor: Spike frickin' Dykes. Actually, not that far fetched. He knows Texas real well.

Old 11-18-2002, 10:56 AM   #12
Dooby
Diamond Member

Doc, have you seen ESPN's Bottom 10 Rankings? SMU, Baylor, Kansas are all on their. SMU won last week's &quot;pillow fight of the week.&quot; SMU's game against Tulsa is sure to be next week's &quot;pillow fight of the week&quot; as well.

Old 11-18-2002, 10:56 AM   #13
Dooby
Diamond Member

Doc, have you seen ESPN's Bottom 10 Rankings? SMU, Baylor, Kansas are all on their. SMU won last week's &quot;pillow fight of the week.&quot; SMU's game against Tulsa is sure to be next week's &quot;pillow fight of the week&quot; as well.

Old 11-18-2002, 10:32 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

Hadn't seen those yet.

The coaches who are rumored to have expressed an interest in no particular order (Source: Waco Trib Herald)

Spike Dykes
Dennis Franchione (but Bama's recent success is making this a huge long shot)
Tommy Bowden
Hayden Fry
Pete Fredenburg (UMHB head coach - not likely)
Andy McCollum (Middle Tenn State - not likely - an ex bear)
Bob Davie (I'm interested in the ex Notre Dame coach and he's expressed interest)

There are a few others....as of now it's all rumors....
Old 11-19-2002, 11:16 PM   #15
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Dave Campo?

At least Baylor would be a promotion.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 11:24 PM   #16
Drbio
Banned

No thank you. We want a name not an excuse.
Old 11-22-2002, 01:28 PM   #17
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

As a Baylor grad, I would be thrilled with Singletary. Lets face it. the program can't get any worse. Why not take a huge gamble with Singletary?

Baylor closes in on football coach
By Jeff Caplan
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

A source close to the Baylor search committee said Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe is the front-runner to become Baylor's next football coach. The search committee met Wednesday night, and an offer appears imminent.

&quot;There's definitely something to that,&quot; the source said, adding that Baylor hopes to make an announcement as early as Dec. 2.

Outgoing Baylor coach Kevin Steele was fired Nov. 3 and agreed to finish the season, which ends Saturday at Oklahoma State. Grobe's Wake Forest team, which is 5-5 in his second season, has two games remaining and closes out the season Nov. 30 against Maryland.

If things don't work out with Grobe, Kentucky coach Guy Morriss, who played at TCU, is also reported to be high on Baylor's list, the source said. But Morriss recently signed an extension and could be too costly to buy out.

From all indications, sixth-year New Mexico State coach Tony Samuel is also being considered by the Baylor committee. While all three coaches are busy guiding their current teams, Wake Forest has been idle the past two weeks, which would have given Grobe time to meet with Baylor officials.

Former Baylor great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Mike Singletary wants to be considered for the position. Singletary, who lives in Chicago after a stellar NFL career with the Bears, has no coaching experience. Although he is being backed by a group of former Baylor players, Singletary, who has apparently already lined up a coaching staff, is not being considered by the search committee because of his lack of coaching experience, a source said.

Grobe, 50, matches the search committee's top criteria: He is in his eighth season as a head coach, and he has elevated two struggling programs. In his first season at Wake Forest, Grobe turned around a 2-9 team in 2000 to 6-5 last year, only Wake's second winning season since 1992. Wake plays Navy on Saturday for a chance to become bowl eligible.

Before taking over at Wake Forest, Grobe revitalized the Ohio University program. Grobe coached six seasons at Ohio from 1995-2000. After taking over an 0-11 team in 1994, Grobe led Ohio to a cumulative six-year record of 33-33-1.

In Grobe's final season at Ohio in 2000, he posted victories over bowl teams Minnesota and Marshall and closed the season by winning of five of the final six games
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 05:25 PM   #18
Drbio
Banned

I don't know where this guy gets his info, but Singeltary will not be the coach. He is assisting on the hiring committee, but has no coaching experience at all and the A.D. has made it very clear that the next coach will be an experienced one. No first timers here. Even Singletary.
Old 11-23-2002, 10:22 AM   #19
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

I don't know. Here is another article from the DMN. The Baylor job is a bad job right now. They have a lot of work to do to make it an attractive position right now. I think the Wake Forest job is a better job right now than Baylor.

Ex-Baylor players want Singletary to be coach
11/23/2002

By KEITH WHITMIRE / The Dallas Morning News

A group of former Baylor football players is leading a push to have former Bears All-American Mike Singletary named head coach at his alma mater.

The group organized a conference call with Baylor president Robert Sloan on Friday that included former Chicago Bears coach Mike Ditka and Arizona Cardinals coach Dave McGinnis supporting Singletary's candidacy.

Singletary, a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, has not returned phone calls by The News. Although often called a &quot;coach on the field&quot; during his days in Chicago's famed 46 defense, Singletary has no coaching experience. He has been a motivational speaker since retiring from football after the 1992 season.

Baylor President Robert Sloan told Houston television station KRIV on Friday that Singletary contacted him about the job and Baylor is interested.

Baylor fired coach Kevin Steele on Nov. 3 in the middle of his fourth straight losing season. The new coach will be Baylor's fourth since Grant Teaff retired after the 1992 season. With one game left this season, the Bears have won four Big 12 games since the league began in 1996.

&quot;I personally feel that given the dire circumstances the Baylor program faces, that Mike Singletary is the only person who can quickly and efficiently turn us around and return us to where we used to be,&quot; said Doak Field, who played with Singletary at Baylor.

Another group of former lettermen has supported former Iowa, North Texas and SMU coach Hayden Fry, a former Baylor player. The 73-year-old Fry, who retired in 1998, has been consulted but so far is not considered a candidate.

Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe, Baylor sources said, is one of the leading candidates on Baylor's list.

Grobe, whose name has also been mentioned with the Michigan State vacancy, issued a statement Friday in response to media inquiries.

&quot;I'm at Wake Forest,&quot; Grobe said. &quot;I'm the head coach at Wake Forest, and I'm getting ready to play an important game against Navy tomorrow. I'm totally happy here, and I'm planning on being the Wake Forest head football coach.&quot;

Wake Forest is 5-5 in its second season under Grobe with games remaining against Navy and Maryland. Last season, the Demon Deacons were 6-5, their second winning season since 1992.

Grobe also is credited with turning around Ohio University's program. The Bobcats won 33 games in six seasons under Grobe after winning only 17 in 10 previous seasons.

Baylor athletic director Tom Stanton will have a news conference Sunday after Baylor's season concludes Saturday at Oklahoma
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 12:32 PM   #20
Drbio
Banned

The buzz on campus is that Hayden Fry will be named and that Mike Singletary will work under him for experience in anticipation of being next. There are so many rumors swirling around right now....who the heck knows?
Old 12-02-2002, 10:39 AM   #21
Dooby
Diamond Member

Doc, did you realize that SMU and Baylor play each other next year?

Old 12-03-2002, 12:14 AM   #22
Drbio
Banned

Hadn't noticed Dooby.....I'll be there.
Old 12-04-2002, 10:25 AM   #23
Dooby
Diamond Member

A regular clash of the titans. I don't know where the game will be, but I might travel to Wacko to see it.

Maybe they'll split the difference and have the game in a high-school stadium in Hillsboro.

Old 12-04-2002, 08:35 PM   #24
Drbio
Banned

<< A regular clash of the titans. I don't know where the game will be, but I might travel to Wacko to see it.

Maybe they'll split the difference and have the game in a high-school stadium in Hillsboro.
>>

hahahaa....if it's here, I'll get us tickets.
Old 12-05-2002, 12:02 AM   #25
Drbio
Banned

Baylor University 2003 Football Schedule

Aug. 30 UAB
Sept. 6 at North Texas
Sept. 13 SMU
Sept. 20 at South Florida
Oct. 4 Colorado
Oct. 11 at Texas A&amp;M
Oct. 18 at Kansas
Oct. 25 Texas
Nov. 1 at Kansas State
Nov. 8 Texas Tech
Nov. 15 at Oklahoma
Nov. 22 Oklahoma State
Old 12-05-2002, 02:49 PM   #26
Dooby
Diamond Member

Aug. 30 UAB Win
Sept. 6 at North Texas Tie
Sept. 13 SMU Loss
Sept. 20 at South Florida Win
Oct. 4 Colorado Loss
Oct. 11 at Texas A&amp;M Loss
Oct. 18 at Kansas Win
Oct. 25 Texas Loss
Nov. 1 at Kansas State Loss
Nov. 8 Texas Tech Loss
Nov. 15 at Oklahoma Loss
Nov. 22 Oklahoma State Loss

Looks like 3-8-1 to me, Doc.

Old 12-05-2002, 03:19 PM   #27
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

That is actually a pretty difficult non conference schedule.

North Texas is not the cupcake they once were, and Southern Florida I believe is just outside the top 25.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 04:56 PM   #28
Dooby
Diamond Member

<< That is actually a pretty difficult non conference schedule.

North Texas is not the cupcake they once were, and Southern Florida I believe is just outside the top 25.
>>

Yes, and SMU is a titan in the making. Soon all will feel the wrath of the great Coach Bennett.

Old 12-05-2002, 11:57 PM   #29
Drbio
Banned

Aug. 30 UAB 1-0
Sept. 6 at North Texas 2-0
Sept. 13 SMU 3-0 (in a blowout of epic proportions)
Sept. 20 at South Florida 4-0
Oct. 4 Colorado 5-0
Oct. 11 at Texas A&amp;M 6-0
Oct. 18 at Kansas 7-0
Oct. 25 Texas 8-0
Nov. 1 at Kansas State 9-0
Nov. 8 Texas Tech 10-0
Nov. 15 at Oklahoma 11-0
Nov. 22 Oklahoma State 12-0

I think that just about covers it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2002, 10:09 AM   #30
Drbio
Banned

Baylor Head Coaching Rumor Update:

Jim Grobe (Wake Forest) will NOT be the coach here.
Former Notre Dame head coach Bob Davie was on campus this week for an interview.
Current UCLA head coach Bob Toledo has been contacted and has expressed interest.
There is no word (poop) on R.C. Slocum.
Hayden Fry is apparently a serious candidate.

Other Rumored names in the Waco Herald:
Andy McCollum (former Baylor defensive coordinator and head coach at Middle Tenn)
Mike Stoops (OU Defensive coordinator)
Guy Morriss (Kentucky)
Urban Meyer (Bowling Green)
Dan Hawkins (Boise State)
Joe Glenn (Univ. of Montana)

I am hoping for Davie, Slocum, or Toledo. I wouldn't mind Fry, but he won't be here long since he is 73 years old. I'd rather have a guy that at least has the potential to be a long term coach.
Old 12-06-2002, 12:03 PM   #31
Dooby
Diamond Member

Davie, to me, is the most realistic name to get. He is out of a job and has recruited in Texas. He is the guy I would take.

Old 12-06-2002, 03:38 PM   #32
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

what about Tommy Bowden? I heard he is still in the hunt, and that the delay on any announcement regarding a coach could be because of bowl situations. I'd like to see Stoops, Bowden, or Slocumb. Since I'm a ND fan, and watching Davie over the last few years, Baylor doesn't need him. He's pretty conservative and boring, that will not attract recruits, or turn a pretty bad situation around. Slocumb would be a good choice, just because he already has contact with several recruits, and could possibly bring some with him. Whoever it is better have excellent recruitng skills, because they have a hard sell to give recruits.
Old 12-07-2002, 11:28 PM   #33
Drbio
Banned

I heard Bowden's name early, but he has been dismissed by all accounts.
Old 12-08-2002, 12:01 AM   #34
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

I've read that Joe Glenn is one of the top canidates. Makes a little sense, because up until tonight Montana was still in the I-AA playoffs. That would explain the delay? He's not a big name, but he has been a winner. Also whoever Baylor is waiting on (if anybody), will have to dig out of the recruiting hole the wait has put them in. Baylor has to be a hard sell to start with, but with no coach, seems like it would be even harder.
Old 12-08-2002, 05:53 PM   #35
Drbio
Banned

That's true Just211, but a lot of guys come here for different reasons than football. We get a significant number of guys each year who come to Baylor for reasons of faith, the value of the education (we graduate our people), and other related criteria. Some of them happen to be great footballers and that's a bonus. Our recruiting classes may be affected, but it will not be as badly as one might think.
Old 12-09-2002, 03:19 PM   #36
Drbio
Banned

From ESPN.com front page.......

Report: Morriss has offer on the table

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

Kentucky's Guy Morriss could be introduced as Baylor's new head football coach by Tuesday, according to a published report.

The Waco (Texas) Tribune-Herald reports that an unidentified source close to the Baylor search says that Morriss has an offer on the table. The source tells the Tribune-Herald that Morriss will visit the Baylor campus Monday to meet with university officials.

The newspaper reports that Baylor athletic director Tom Stanton asked Kentucky for permission on Friday to talk to Morriss.

After attending TCU, Morriss played 15 years in the NFL. He was an All-Pro offensive guard with the Eagles when they went to the Super Bowl (1981). He also played in the 1986 Super Bowl with the New England Patriots.

Morriss is 9-14 with Kentucky the last two seasons.

He joined Hal Mumme's staff at Kentucky in 1997 as the assistant head coach and offensive line coach. Morriss replaced Mumme when the Wildcats were put on probation in 2001.

Old 12-09-2002, 03:57 PM   #37
Drbio
Banned

From the Waco Tribune Herald.....

Kentucky coach apparently BU’s pick
By JERRY HILL Tribune-Herald assistant sports editor
Barring a last-minute switch, Kentucky's Guy Morriss is expected to be named the Baylor football coach by Tuesday.

A source close to the coaching search said Morriss “already has an offer on the table” and will be in Waco today to visit the campus and meet with Baylor offi- cials.

According to another source, negotiations with Clemson's Tommy Bowden broke down when Baylor refused to pay Bowden's buyout with the Tigers. The only other candidate still left in the mix is apparently Wake Forest head coach Jim Grobe, who accepted an invitation Sunday to play Oregon in the Dec. 30 Seattle Bowl.

Baylor athletic director Tom Stanton called Kentucky athletic director Mitch Barnhart Friday and received permission to talk with Morriss, a Texas native who is 9-14 in two seasons with the Wildcats.

“Sure, there's certain places where you'd listen, and there's other places where you'd immediately say, ‘Thanks, but no thanks,’ ” Morriss told The Courier-Journal in Louisville, Ky. But when reached this weekend, Morriss refused to comment specifically on the Baylor situation.

&quot;The thing that's unique about Guy is that he's very well-versed with the high school coaches in Texas,&quot; said McKinney athletic director Rusty Dowling, a longtime coach at Texas City and McKinney who first met Morriss when he was recruiting his players. &quot;I know there are a lot of high school coaches in this state that really respect Guy and what he's done.” Asked to replace Hal Mumme when the Wildcats were put on NCAA probation in January 2001, the 51-year-old Morriss led them to a 2-9 record last year that included a 29-25 loss to Southeastern Conference champion LSU and a 38-35 loss to Tennessee.

This year, Kentucky started 4-0 with wins over Louisville, UT-El Paso, Indiana and Middle Tennessee State. After close losses to Florida (41-34) and South Carolina (16-12), the Wildcats pulled off a 29-17 win over eventual SEC West champion Arkansas in Fayetteville.

The most memorable moment of a 7-5 season came on Nov. 9, when LSU pulled out a 33-30 win on a deflected pass on the last play of the game.

This year's team averaged 347.4 yards and 32.1 points per game while holding opponents to 401.3 yards and 25.1 points per game. The Wildcats were also ranked 29th in the country in turnover margin at plus-7.

Kentucky was ineligible for a bowl bid this year and is in the second of three years of NCAA probation that includes reduced scholarships.

A native of Colorado City, Texas, Morriss was an All-Southwest Conference offensive guard at TCU and played 15 years in the NFL. He played in the 1981 Super Bowl with the Philadelphia Eagles, earning all-pro honors, and played in the 1986 Super Bowl with the New England Patriots.

His coaching career began as an assistant line coach with the Patriots in 1988-89 after he retired. He also was offensive coordinator for one year at Mansfield High School in Texas and was the offensive line coach for the Canadian Football League's San Antonio Texans in 1995.

Morriss’ other coaching stops have included the Washington Marauders of the Professional Spring Football League (1992), Valdosta State (1992-93), the Arizona Cardinals (1994) and Mississippi State (1996).

He joined Mumme's staff at Kentucky in 1997 as the assistant head coach and offensive line coach, a position he held until his promotion.

Morriss' staff includes five assistants with Texas ties, including former Baylor assistants John Goodner and Chris Lancaster. Goodner is in his second year as defensive coordinator and linebackers coach, while Lancaster coached the offensive line this year after working with the defensive ends in 2001.

Other assistants include offensive coordinator Brent Pease, a former NFL quarterback with the Houston Oilers; wide receivers coach Harold Jackson, an all-pro receiver with the Eagles; and defensive tackles coach Tom Adams, a former Rice player who coached at Sam Houston State and SMU.

Jerry Hill can be reached at 757-5715 or at jhill@wacotrib.com.
Old 12-09-2002, 06:36 PM   #38
Dooby
Diamond Member

I don't know. You need to be able to recruit in Texas. I don't see anything about this guy that makes me think he can do that. At least he is better than that spare Texas Tech RB coach that Houston hired. What a waste of time. Univ. of Houston is quickly becoming a total waste of time in any sport.

Old 12-09-2002, 09:57 PM   #39
Drbio
Banned

edit
Old 12-09-2002, 10:23 PM   #40
Ghost Face

Ghost Face is on a distinguished road

<< I don't know. You need to be able to recruit in Texas. I don't see anything about this guy that makes me think he can do that. At least he is better than that spare Texas Tech RB coach that Houston hired. What a waste of time. Univ. of Houston is quickly becoming a total waste of time in any sport. >>

While U. of Houston is most definately spare, you would be foolish to dismiss Art Briles as such. He took Stephenville and turned them into a perenial power from nothing(while breaking all-time Texas high school records for total offense) and helped to train little Ricky Williams change his game entirely on his course to becoming an NFL running back and also coach a redshirt freshmen to come in and outperform the graduating senior Williams. Briles is as tied into Texas high school football and Texas coaches as can be and you can bet that Houston will at least put some points on the board. It won't hurt either that Art has lined up a great defensive coordinator who happens to be one of the key recruiting figures for Texas A&amp;M(according to Aggies, not me). Houston is a talent rich town that has mostly been owned by A&amp;M in the past, so it will be interesting to see what Briles and his Aggie guy can do. If you think Briles is spare you ought to brush up on Morriss's employment of Rick Dykes, who is quite possibly the worst offensive coordinator in all of D1 and a former Tech coordinator who would not be welcome back(unlike Briles).
Ghost Face is offline   Reply With Quote