Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-21-2003, 11:28 AM   #81
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Stickman

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanatik33
Shawn Bradley is the reason my varsity coach doesn't let us use the excuse that we lost because the other team is taller...
Which actually shows ignorance on the part of your varsity coach.

Which is probably why is is coaching at the High School level and not above.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:21 PM   #82
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 11:16 PM   #83
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Good point, Murph.
Old 11-22-2003, 11:23 PM   #84
Walkerforthree
Golden Member

Walkerforthree is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Good point, Murph.
Lol, cute Murph. Honestly, I find it incredulous Shawn didn't play tonight. It is unacceptable unless there was some injury. I mean, good god how can shawn get prepared to play well when he doesn't know if he'll get 20 minutes or not even play, im sure this benching after a great game will sure help his confidence.
Walkerforthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 11:33 PM   #85
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I guess we just have to hope it doesn't.
Old 11-22-2003, 11:36 PM   #86
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

Like I said in another thread, there is absolutely no relationship for a player between playing great and getting more minutes with Nellie. How discouraging would that system be to play under?

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 11:53 PM   #87
Walkerforthree
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mavs Rule
Like I said in another thread, there is absolutely no relationship for a player between playing great and getting more minutes with Nellie. How discouraging would that system be to play under?
Very I would think. But i can't criticize Nellie since we're 9-4, right?
Old 11-22-2003, 11:56 PM   #88
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Stickman

Is it just me? Or does anyone else feel like even if we had Shaq, Nellie would find a reason not to play him.... and resort to his beloved small ball?
Old 11-23-2003, 12:00 AM   #89
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I really wasn't that suprised not to see Shawn. It seems that they are holding him out of games which we should be able to win without him. His knee needs rest to heal.

Hopefully, we're just saving him for the playoffs and big regular season games.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 12:03 AM   #90
Walkerforthree
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
Is it just me? Or does anyone else feel like even if we had Shaq, Nellie would find a reason not to play him.... and resort to his beloved small ball?
shaq cant shoot 3's or ft's, no pt
Old 11-23-2003, 12:04 AM   #91
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
I really wasn't that suprised not to see Shawn. It seems that they are holding him out of games which we should be able to win without him. His knee needs rest to heal.

This really could be a legitimate explanation. They wouldn't have beaten the Spurs without him; Nellie knew he could simply outgun Denver.

If Shawn's still having trouble with the knee, then he should be rested, because there will be opponents where he is needed if the Mavs are to win.
Old 11-23-2003, 12:06 AM   #92
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Let's hope that it is. But, I would have liked to have seen Bradley in the first half regardless of whether or not this is a game the Mavs should win. The Mavs have already lost a couple of games that they should have won.

but, like I said, I'll be a bit patient with Nellie with this.
Old 11-23-2003, 01:43 AM   #93
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Well, regardless. I was very happy to see the big five get extended minutes on the court. I was even happer to see Najera frozen out of the game in the second half. I think he's been absolutely terrible all year. There is no reason to have him in the game when you've got Jamison chomping at the bit over on the bench. Hopefully tonights game is a harbenger of a future rotation with Jamison playing a starring role and Najera playing a supporting one. Bradley will be there in the end. Now, I'm confident, so will Jamison.
Old 11-23-2003, 01:49 AM   #94
Murphy3
Guru

Starting Najera versus Denver made little sense to me. I realize that the Mavs were worried about the fast break of the Nuggets. However, Najera wasn't likely to have much of an impact slowing down the break besides perhaps drawing a charge.

With the Nuggets being a very good rebounding team, I just didn't think starting Najera was worth the risk.
Old 11-23-2003, 01:59 AM   #95
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Starting Najera versus Denver made little sense to me. I realize that the Mavs were worried about the fast break of the Nuggets. However, Najera wasn't likely to have much of an impact slowing down the break besides perhaps drawing a charge.

With the Nuggets being a very good rebounding team, I just didn't think starting Najera was worth the risk.
My guess is that Nellie was hoping Eddie would have a positive impact with O rebounds considering thats where his only strength is. Thus trying to slow down Denver's rebounding.
Old 11-23-2003, 02:04 AM   #96
mercury_rev

mercury_rev will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Good point, madape. Who knows how fragile Bradley's knee is right now..... And it's not surprising that Nelson would want to be quiet about Shawn's condition.

mercury_rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 02:26 AM   #97
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Fah Q
Quote:

My guess is that Nellie was hoping Eddie would have a positive impact with O rebounds considering thats where his only strength is. Thus trying to slow down Denver's rebounding.

I suppose that's a possibility. But, the Mavs desperately needed another defensive rebounder in the game much of the time..they will rarely get that out of Najera
Old 11-23-2003, 03:26 AM   #98
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: Fah Q
Quote:

I suppose that's a possibility. But, the Mavs desperately needed another defensive rebounder in the game much of the time..they will rarely get that out of Najera
Agreed
Old 11-23-2003, 03:32 AM   #99
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Quote:

This really could be a legitimate explanation. They wouldn't have beaten the Spurs without him; Nellie knew he could simply outgun Denver.

If Shawn's still having trouble with the knee, then he should be rested, because there will be opponents where he is needed if the Mavs are to win.
I can go along with this explanation and I just hope that is what Nellie is doing. The Mavs Need him this year, but obviously his presence wasn't required to take the Nuggets to school.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:16 PM   #100
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Forgive my reposting this folks, but I just thought that this exchange should be included on the venerable, and reborn Stickman thread....

Quote:

"Well, Bradley hasn’t had a year. Last year he had a very good year, but he’s been no factor this year. I haven’t been able to play him much, and that’s really hurt us."
-Don Nelson, Wednesday, March 24, 2004.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My email to Cuban:

Mark,

On the Ticket with Norm this morning, Nellie told Norm the following:

"Well, Bradley hasn’t had a year. Last year he had a very good year, but he’s been no factor this year. I haven’t been able to play him much, and that’s really hurt us."

I'm sick and tired of Nellie making Bradley the scapegoat. How in the hell can he blame Shawn when he won't even play him? Mark, we've given up 51.5% shooting over the last 4 games to the Nets summer league squad, the Sixers summer league squad, Boston, and Atlanta! And Shawn has been played a combined 26 minutes in those FOUR games!

At some point, Nelson needs to accept responsibility for his own actions. His pigheaded refusal to play the only shotblocker on the team is ridiculous. The "Shawn's not playing well" excuse also rings hollow when you consider how horrible Walker has played for about the past month (9.5 pts and 7 rebounds a game -- something Shawn could easily do if given 28.5 minutes per game, plus he might actually block a shot now and again). Shawn should start and play every single night until he's fouled out -- even if he's not playing particularly well. He can actually defend a center and protect the basket, something no other Maverick can do consistently and effectively.

Nellie told Norm this morning that he's tried it all. I call bullshit on that one, Mark, because he hasn't tried it all. One simple change would (or at least could) make a HUGE difference for this team.

Play Shawn Bradley.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark Cuban's reply to KG's fine letter:

"I agree"
Well, obviously Mark Cuban has heard the well reasoned arguments of our fine KGVeteran, and hopefully the pro-Bradley pleas of other folks as well. And it is harkening to know that Cuban may well sympathize with the increasingly glaring and obvious need of this team to incorporate #44 back into the lineup, but I'll pose the depressing question: Does that matter?

Will we fans be privledged enough to see Shawn released from his cage to wreak glowering playoff havoc with flying elbows, smothering shotblocking, and his dread 15 foot set-shot? Or will we be condemned to watch a replay of the atrocious 01-02 "layups and dunks" Sac-Dallas series, against the accidental champ spurs or the Los Angeles Lakers?

All I know, is I will be praying for a miracle this week. I will be calling upon the grace of the Almighty to break Shawn free from his shackles! I will be calling on a Higher Power to make his voice heard, and free our 7-6, gangle-legged, sharp-elbowed enforcer to do what he does best: Block Shots! Block Shots! Block Shots! and then Laugh and Curse at the Victims of his Swats!

Free our Defensive Monster from his chains Nelson, and you in turn will be freed! If you want to retire with a championship ring to punctuate your hall of fame career, you had better damned well start thinking about playing the one man who can turn around this rapidly evaporating Mavericks campaign!

Free the Beast, Free him for all of our good Don Nelson... Or this season may be finished...

The Last, Best Hope of the 2003-2004 Mavericks?
Old 03-24-2004, 04:27 PM   #101
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough

Fans that go to the game should make a banner " Play Bradley" in every home games. Maybe that would help the stupid coach notice Shawn.

DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 04:55 PM   #102
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Whenever Bradley is on the court, the defense starts to kick in. Other opponents are scared of him... they won't drive in and try to lay it in (like they normally do). He is the entire interior defense when he is playing. His presence alone makes our defense better, and not only that, he is a fiery rebounder and probably shows more heart than anybody else on this team. It sucks knowing that the key to winning games is sitting on the bench when we need him the most.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 11:53 PM   #103
madape
Diamond Member

The stickman cometh, and he layeth down the smack.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:58 PM   #104
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

If Shawn goes back into the doghouse after this fine game...then we'll know that Nellie has some other damn agenda unrelated to Bball.

Play Big Shawn right now !!
Old 03-25-2004, 12:05 AM   #105
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Bradley is the best shot blocker this league has ever seen. The ref's might call fouls on him because Nellie has not shown to the league that he is a legitimate starter and play him consistent minutes.

He is second highest shot blocker in the active players and its a shame we do not even use him.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:14 AM   #106
ISmellmyTshirts

ISmellmyTshirts is on a distinguished road

We need to start some kind of movement. A Bradley education movement.

Get the people out, voicing their desire to have Big Shawn play.

I want to see the next home game having an entire sections chanting for bradley.

Flyers on every car in the metroplex educating the people on why shawn should play and what they can do to help.

Swamp the call-in radio shows, national and local. Swamp the internet sites. Swamp the dallas morning news, star telegram, espn.com, sports illustrated. Swamp cuban's email.

Get the idea out there, instead of just complaining about it.

Who's with me?!
"I recently learned that in an average lifetime a person walks about sixty-five thousand miles. That's two and half times around the world. I wonder where your steps will take you. I wonder how you'll use the rest of the miles you're given." --Mr. Rogers
ISmellmyTshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 06:22 AM   #107
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

"We've got the Galleria !"
Old 03-25-2004, 10:30 AM   #108
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Elliott and Nessler were drooling over Bradley's play all game long. They couldn't fathom why Bradley doesn't play more, and they kept raving about his impact on the game.

Thankfully, Mark agrees, even if Nellie doesn't.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:55 PM   #109
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Hopefully, we'll see this issue turn itself around come playoff time. Maybe a playoff loss or two will finally cause Don Nelson to recognize that this team can't play good defense without Shawn Bradley.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 02:05 AM   #110
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsman55
Hopefully, we'll see this issue turn itself around come playoff time. Maybe a playoff loss or two will finally cause Don Nelson to recognize that this team can't play good defense without Shawn Bradley.
Unfortunately, that didn't do any good three seasons ago...
Old 06-23-2005, 06:54 PM   #111
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

bump...

...too bad we lost the original, ORIGINAL Stickman thread. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

I'm gonna miss all the arguments about Shawn.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote