Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-04-2003, 09:05 PM   #81
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Barkley comments on Dirk - Will he be forced to resign?

Nice post OP. I was trying to hit on a similar theme with my statement "You need to try to see his point before you can truly understand your own" but I wasn't as eloquent.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2003, 09:19 AM   #82
Jeremiah

Jeremiah will become famous soon enough

Old 10-06-2003, 10:47 AM   #83
Jeremiah

Old 10-06-2003, 11:56 AM   #84
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Sadly, that is not the case. Lynchings still occour.

Link

Obviously not with the frequency it used too.

I would also equate what happened in Jasper to a lynching.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 12:50 PM   #85
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Someone noted that white Americans have paid dearly for slavery and used these arguments for evidence:
More white Americans died in the Civil War than in WWI, WWII, the Vietnam War, and the American Revolution combined, and I am assuming s/he meant than Americans in those 4 wars combined. This is misleading for a few reasons: The Civil War was constituted of Americans fighting other Americans. Civil wars normally produce more domestic casualties than wars against other nations, one because there are usually only domestics fighting, save the token mercenaries here and there, two, because the terrain of the enemy camp is known which means there shouldn't be much adjusting like our troops in Afghanistan were subjected to, and the enemy will know more about potential forts. As far as the other wars are concerned, how many Americans were fighting in the American Revolution? Were there really any? English defectors to an unrecognized nation perhaps, but Americans? Our first American born president was the 8th president. American born people weren't that prevalent for quite some time after the revolution, much less fighters in it. In WWI and WWII, we were part of a much larger fighting force, so all our men were not needed to fight. War technology was better as well, there were actually medics on the field (at least in WWII) and medical practices were far and away better than during the Civil War. Doctors knew the benefits of sterilization, which was discovered in the 19th century, but was not practiced universally right away. (I admit, my dates here are a bit fuzzy, so I'm not exactly sure when sterilization became widespread, only that it was discovered in the 19th century.) I don't know the specifics of the medical tools or knowledge, but I suspect it was greater in early and mid 20th century than it was in mid 19th century. This all means that less soldiers had to die on the battlefield.
As for the Vietnam War, that was a civil war that we were just policing, we didn't have as many soldiers fighting. I'm not up on my military history. Does someone know if at that point the administration really began trying to limit casualties?
As for black soldiers in the Civil War not dying in favor of white soldiers, there weren't many black soldiers allowed to fight. Heck, even in WWII, after the military was officially integrated, black soldiers didn't do nearly as much fighting as white soldiers.
These are the reasons why I think that statement about more white Americans dying in the Civil War than those other 4 wars combined is misleading.
Jeremiah, you missed the point. The point is a tremendous number of people, who were contemporaries of the slavery era, died in the Civil war. This was an exceptionally high price to pay. During WWII nearly everyone new of a family who had lost someone in the war. During the Civil War nearly every family lost someone in the war. No the Civil war wasn't fought solely for slavery, but the issue of slavery was one of the major reasons for the conflict. Lincoln didn't free the slaves right away. Maybe the number of casualties was a message from God to remind this country of its sins. I certainly believe this to be the case.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:56 PM   #86
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

yes, hate crimes still occur against african americans...but come on, let's not pretend it only goes one way.

crimes against someone because of their race will always be a part of our society.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 01:01 PM   #87
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Jeremiah
Oh, and when was the last lynching in Mississippi, 1970 maybe?
Uhhh yes they do still occur. GRBH was kind enough to support us with a link

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 01:06 PM   #88
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

sure, unfortunately..things like that will always occur..white hate crimes directed towards black and vice versa (not slighting other races..just using black and white as examples to keep it simple)

to think that it doesn't is ridiculous
Old 10-06-2003, 01:47 PM   #89
Jeremiah

Old 10-06-2003, 01:57 PM   #90
Jeremiah

Old 10-06-2003, 01:58 PM   #91
Jeremiah

Old 10-06-2003, 02:06 PM   #92
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Perhaps not, but things like that do happen, granted not often. Like I said before I don't see any difference between what happened in Jasper and a lynching.

Old 10-06-2003, 02:12 PM   #93
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

TNT hired Barkley for his personality . . . Barkley will be Barkley and i personally really like Charles and he is hystarical, I don't take him seriously, and I'm sure Dirk doesn't either.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:13 PM   #94
Jeremiah

Old 10-06-2003, 02:19 PM   #95
grbh
Platinum Member

I can agree with that. Obviously they are not the same acts, but the purpose is.

Old 10-06-2003, 03:08 PM   #96
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

I would like to share a story with people who believe that the double standard in society is "acceptable" given the history of the US.

Imagine a black boy, going to high school at a predominantly white school. He tries out for the basketball team, and is the only black trying out for the team. After the first day of practice, the boy is "jumped", or beaten up by a pack of 4 white hooligans who tell him to "not come back tomorrow."

If this story were true, it would be a national story. Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson would have been on the scene, and it would have been on CNN, FoxNews and a glaring example of how America is still a racist society.

Well, my friends, this DID happen. In the year 1993. However, the races were reversed and the boy was ME. What happened? Well, since I was not able to positively identify the purpatrators, and no one in the locker room volunteered them...nothing. Nada. Rev. Al and Rev. Jessie never arrived, there was no news coverage. I picked myself up, chose not to go back to tryouts until the next year. Suffice to say, the next year I was scared for my life.

So when people talk about how America is STILL a racist country, I say "Yes it is." Because I know, that as a white teenager, I was a victim of it.

And yes, the double standard sickens me.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 03:51 PM   #97
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

Old 10-06-2003, 03:57 PM   #98
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

the NAACP and afirmative action are coherently and by definition racist. . . they divide, differntiate, elevate and separate one race from another, Charles did the same thing, but saying something is different from doing something. Charles is free to express his opinion (Even the KKK has that right). Was it off color (no pun intended), of coarse, but its Charles what do you expect. . . the same reason some people are all up in arms about this is the same reason they like watching and listning to Barkley and that is he incites contoversy in a funny, jocular manner . . . hes "not a role model". Of coarse all these facts aply to the Limbaugh situation as well. I like Dirk, and if he has a problem with it i am sure he would say something, and then maybe then will Barkley's job be in question.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:49 PM   #99
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

To get back on teh subject Barkley made these comments about a guy who he offered to pay to put him through college at Auburn. I doubt if Rush offered to pay for McNabb's college tuition he wouldn't have been force to resign. Two different situations here.

1996-2005
Old 10-06-2003, 05:12 PM   #100
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

You guys do realize right that Barkley never made these comments? This was a hypothetical exercise.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 05:13 PM   #101
Murphy3
Guru

damn doc, let it go...was enjoying it
Old 10-06-2003, 05:36 PM   #102
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

LOL. It was kind of funny in an Orson Wells kind of way. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2003, 06:52 AM   #103
Jeremiah

Old 10-07-2003, 12:17 PM   #104
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Default RE: Barkley comments on Dirk - Will he be forced to resign?

Actually, I never read what comment were posted I was just referring to the comments he made about Fin being the best player on the Mavs.

1996-2005

Tags
dirk