Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-21-2003, 09:38 PM   #121
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Utah vs. Dallas Game Thread....

I don't think we've made 2 shots in a row all night. Uggghhhh.... down to 35% for the game.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2003, 09:39 PM   #122
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Utah vs. Dallas Game Thread....

offense definitely sputtering tonight.
what we need is someone to throw up a bunch of shots and keep going until they start to fall[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 09:39 PM   #123
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

Fortson 4 of 4 at free throw line! But has five fouls also.

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 09:41 PM   #124
Dirk41= konsesjonen
Banned

Dirk41= konsesjonen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Psychedelic Fuzz
offense definitely sputtering tonight.
what we need is someone to throw up a bunch of shots and keep going until they start to fall[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Dirk was shooting fine until he stopped getting the ball.
Dirk41= konsesjonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 09:44 PM   #125
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

Josh Howard's first basket of the game!

Fortson fouls out.

Old 10-21-2003, 09:45 PM   #126
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

and Fortson is gone

Old 10-21-2003, 09:45 PM   #127
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know why, but I love the hustle when someone misses their FT and gets a rebound off of their own shot.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 09:47 PM   #128
Big_Dog

Big_Dog will become famous soon enough

what´s the lineup?
stef-best-daniels-howard-?
Old 10-21-2003, 09:48 PM   #129
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I wouldn't know. However this cool little button called "quote" allows you to copy and paste the whole statement, smileys and all! I'd recommend that in the futore so you don't misquote someone anymore
Don't patronize me dirk41. Seriously.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:49 PM   #130
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

n

Last edited by ShaggyDirk; 02-15-2007 at 12:10 AM.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 09:49 PM   #131
Dirk41= konsesjonen
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Quote:
I wouldn't know. However this cool little button called "quote" allows you to copy and paste the whole statement, smileys and all! I'd recommend that in the futore so you don't misquote someone anymore
Don't patronize me dirk41. Seriously.
And don't patronize me, seriously.

Old 10-21-2003, 09:51 PM   #132
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Seems like the injury to Bradley underscores the need for another center type. If Bradley or Fortson is injured, that leaves the Mavs very thin at center. This could open Donnie's eyes that they need Stepania.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:52 PM   #133
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Best, Stephonsan, Howard, Najera, and Daniels.

Old 10-21-2003, 09:54 PM   #134
Big_Dog

Big_Dog will become famous soon enough

this lineup is ridiculous
Old 10-21-2003, 09:54 PM   #135
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally posted by: Big_Dog
this lineup is ridiculous
You'd think they had Dirk and Fin leave to go out for a drink with the new guys...
Old 10-21-2003, 09:55 PM   #136
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I'm seriously afraid this is how our first few games are going to be like. It's tough to watch now, it's going to be unbearable when the regular season begins.

Not knee-jerking or anything, just frustrated because Walker or Delk have yet to play a game with us as well.

I also assume Finley, Dirk, Jamison, and Nash are done for the night?
Old 10-21-2003, 09:56 PM   #137
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

That's reasonable. I need a drink after listening to this.

Old 10-21-2003, 09:57 PM   #138
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

I heard Nellie wanted to win this game but I guess he meant to win the game with the second stringers. I'm excited to see Walker and Delk play tomorrow.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:59 PM   #139
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Definitely want to see what Walker does in his first outing.

Old 10-21-2003, 10:00 PM   #140
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You'd think they had Dirk and Fin leave to go out for a drink with the new guys...
Couldn't hurt. Since the trade and with Bradley hurt... we have one guy over 6'10"... and that's Dirk...

Old 10-21-2003, 10:00 PM   #141
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

This win will put Utah at 5-1 for the preseason. Anyone think that they will be a little better than the consensous prediction of worst record in the league?

Old 10-21-2003, 10:02 PM   #142
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

and Best fouls out.

They won't be the worst, someone in the east will be worse.

Old 10-21-2003, 10:04 PM   #143
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mavs Rule
This win will put Utah at 5-1 for the preseason. Anyone think that they will be a little better than the consensous prediction of worst record in the league?
I dont think they are playoff material, but I think they are putting their hearts into it. Eventually they will get worn down, but they are going to be a lot better than the flop people expected after Malone ran off and Stockton retired
Old 10-21-2003, 10:05 PM   #144
Bayliss

The only statistic that mattered is 34%. You don't win ballgames shooting that poorly. We hung in it because we went to the line a lot. But that's too much to overcome.

Nice to see Dirk play good defense... Nash pass the ball.

Just want Fin and Jamison to find their shooting rhythyms....
Old 10-21-2003, 10:08 PM   #145
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
The only statistic that mattered is 34%. You don't win ballgames shooting that poorly. We hung in it because we went to the line a lot. But that's too much to overcome.
That and the number of turnovers. I'd like to talk to someone who was there to see what was going on...
Old 10-21-2003, 10:08 PM   #146
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:

No!

Not having a point guard or front court will hurt them bad. Denver is having a good preseason, they won't significantly improve from last season.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM   #147
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Final, 92-76. Utah wins

Howard (36) 2-7, 0-1, 5-7, 9pts, 4rbs, 3as, 4to's, 2stls, 4blks

Dirk (29) 5-9, 1-5, 8-9, 19pts, 6rbs, 2as, 2to's, 3stls, 2blks

Fortson (19) 0-3, 4-4, 4pts, 6rbs, 1as, 2to's, 1blk

Finley (26) 2-9, 2-4, 2-2, 8pts, 2rbs, 1as, 1blk

Nash (18) 2-4, 4pts, 2rbs, 6as, 2to's

Bradley (6) 1-1, 1-2, 3pts

Jamison (24) 3-10, 0-1, 1-2, 7pts, 5rbs, 4to's, 1stl

Best (30) 3-8, 0-1, 2-2, 8pts, 1rb, 4as, 4to's, 1stl

Najera (28) 1-5, 0-1, 2-6, 4pts, 3rbs, 1as, 2to's, 2stls, 1blk

Daniels (16) 3-7, 1-2, 1-2, 8pts, 1rb, 1stl

Stefansson (8) 0-1, 2-2, 2pts, 2to's

I don't understand what happened to our rebounding. We were solid in the first few games, but it's been pretty dismal the last few.

Our ft's and turnovers are still alarming. I know we still have guys playing more than they will once season starts, but they still need to take care of things if they get minutes in blowouts situations.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:11 PM   #148
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I literally wouldn't care if any other player other than dirk averaged more than 14 attempts per game. But, that is one thing that i'm worried about.. i'm worried about Nellie trying to exploit matchups so often that the best offensive player on the team ends up suffering in the process. And in my opinion, the more you stunt dirk's growth, the more you hurt the team regardless of how many other options there are.

Fin and Jamison around the 14 mark sounds good to me with nash slightly behind...then with walker somewhere around 10-11 attempts
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 10:11 PM   #149
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Not having a point guard or front court will hurt them bad. Denver is having a good preseason, they won't significantly improve from last season.
From last season with Stock and the Mailman? If they did that good I would be amazed
Old 10-21-2003, 10:11 PM   #150
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Yes, Fin was only 2-9, but his fg% usually comes back very slowly after an injury. I am hoping his season fg% doesn't drop again this year.

Old 10-21-2003, 10:12 PM   #151
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
I literally wouldn't care if any other player other than dirk averaged more than 14 attempts per game. But, that is one thing that i'm worried about.. i'm worried about Nellie trying to exploit matchups so often that the best offensive player on the team ends up suffering in the process. And in my opinion, the more you stunt dirk's growth, the more you hurt the team regardless of how many other options there are.
word to that
Old 10-21-2003, 10:14 PM   #152
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Erica, our turnover numbers will go way down. I don't think we'll lead the league anymore, but we'll still be in the top 3-5.

I don't think Jamison should get benched over Walker. I think it will up our FG% to have the Jamison and Dirk in at the same time.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 10:14 PM   #153
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes, Fin was only 2-9, but his fg% usually comes back very slowly after an injury. I am hoping his season fg% doesn't drop again this year.
Fin loses alot of value on the team if his FG% is around the same level as it was last year IMO unless he's able to make it to the line more and picks up his defense significantly.

But, I really don't expect Fin to shoot below 45% this season. He'll have too many open looks to struggle as badly from the floor as he did last year.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:14 PM   #154
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Quote:
Just want Fin and Jamison to find their shooting rhythyms
I think Jamison will be ok cause his shot attempts will go up. If he's struggling, they'll post him up and get him some easy baskets.

Fin, I'm a little concerned about. 2nd game in a row where he's played 25+ minutes and took less than 10 shots. Since his return, the most shot attempts he's had is 14.

Shots are going to be erratic but for Dirk, imo. We have the potential for disaster once we add Walker to the mix as well. There will be many nights where one or two of these guys are going to struggle.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:17 PM   #155
Murphy3
Guru

You're right MFF. The shot attempts should be up and down for the big 5 accept for dirk. He needs to consistently get his shots as the #1 option for the most part..

this poses an interesting question though...look for a random new thread as if we dont' have enough
Old 10-21-2003, 10:21 PM   #156
Bayliss

Just makes you wonder if Nellie will try to have a pecking order or if he's intent on giving everyone their shots.

In another thread people were questioning Dirk's leadership. But it goes hand in hand with Nellie. Dirk can only lead is if he's given the reins. And until Nellie makes it clear (he started last season IMO) to everyone that Dirk will be the primary force on offense... then Dirk will not be the leader. (And no that is not Dirk's fault. Because as soon as you start the power struggle over shots... you become a cancer.)

But there is no reason for Dirk to have the fewest shots out of the "Big 5"... and it doesn't matter who we play.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:26 PM   #157
Dirk41= konsesjonen
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: Bayliss
Just makes you wonder if Nellie will try to have a pecking order or if he's intent on giving everyone their shots.

In another thread people were questioning Dirk's leadership. But it goes hand in hand with Nellie. Dirk can only lead is if he's given the reins. And until Nellie makes it clear (he started last season IMO) to everyone that Dirk will be the primary force on offense... then Dirk will not be the leader. (And no that is not Dirk's fault. Because as soon as you start the power struggle over shots... you become a cancer.)

But there is no reason for Dirk to have the fewest shots out of the "Big 5"... and it doesn't matter who we play.
Amen to that. Honestly, unless dirk is ice cold, doubled consistently, or someone else gets red hot, there is no excuse for Dirk not getting the most fg attempts EVERY night.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:29 PM   #158
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
I'm seriously afraid this is how our first few games are going to be like. It's tough to watch now, it's going to be unbearable when the regular season begins.

Not knee-jerking or anything, just frustrated because Walker or Delk have yet to play a game with us as well.
It might be midseason or the playoffs before this team rounds into a coherent unit.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 10:40 PM   #159
MavsFanFinley
Guru

My only concern about Dirk getting the most shots/touches now is that it may kill the offensive games of the others like tonight.

It didn't bother me last year cause Dirk was the biggest threat and others still got shots. Now, however, we have guys use to the ball in their hands and getting shots.

I know, I know, it's only preseason. But, Finley is taking about half the shots he took last season. Jamison is probably near the same or under his fg attempts in GS. Walker will drop around 5 shot attempts as well.

I'm afraid we'll see guys settling for jumpers and standing around watching Dirk.

I am NOT saying to reduce Dirk's shots by any means. No reason he shouldn't be getting 18-20 shot attempts unless he's going to the ft line a lot. Say 14 shot attempts and 10 ft attempts. I'm just saying Nelson might be rethinking his plan to have the ball in Dirk's hands at all times.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:42 PM   #160
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: Max Power
Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley

It might be midseason or the playoffs before this team rounds into a coherent unit.
I'd say that is a very safe bet.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote