Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-04-2010, 08:12 PM   #121
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Once Roddy is back, he should take all of Barea's minutes and some of Terry's minutes.
He **should** but it doesn't mean he will. And that is why the griping comes in. In fact many were griping about that last year. And let's be real. It cost the Mavs against the Spurs. Was it the only reason? No. But should Barea be in the Mavs 8 man rotation? No. Was he all year? Yes. Is he again this year? So far it looks like it.

Quote:
What would you have the Mavs do? Give Jones 27 mpg? Really?
Um no. But is there ANY reason to play Kidd and Bnarea together? No. Is there any reason to play Terry and Barea together? Um, no. And I've seen both happen in every game so far this season. It isn't just about playing Barea. It is about playing him a lot. And playing him with undersized players too.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2010, 08:12 PM   #122
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
Dollars to Donuts that doesn't happen. I want it to, but JJB will always have a place on RC's rotation.

Heck, if JJB still plays 10 minutes per, that's fine by me.
I could live with that.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:15 PM   #123
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
He **should** but it doesn't mean he will. And that is why the griping comes in. In fact many were griping about that last year. And let's be real. It cost the Mavs against the Spurs. Was it the only reason? No. But should Barea be in the Mavs 8 man rotation? No. Was he all year? Yes. Is he again this year? So far it looks like it.
He's in the rotation so far this year, at least in part, because of Roddy's injury. I think he will be the 4th guard once Beaubois is healthy. Do you disagree?

Quote:
Um no. But is there ANY reason to play Kidd and Bnarea together? No. Is there any reason to play Terry and Barea together? Um, no. And I've seen both happen in every game so far this season. It isn't just about playing Barea. It is about playing him a lot. And playing him with undersized players too.
Right now, there is a reason to play them together. You can't play Kidd and Terry the whole game. Somebody has to be the third guard. Jones isn't ready to be that guy, so Barea has to do it.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:24 PM   #124
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He's in the rotation so far this year, at least in part, because of Roddy's injury. I think he will be the 4th guard once Beaubois is healthy. Do you disagree?
And last year it was because Roddy wasn't ready. And this year it is also because DoJo wasn't ready. There is always some reason. What if Roddy still isn't well all year? Will Carlisle play DoJo enough to gain experience and maybe help in the playoffs?

Do you think playing him 3 minutes is getting him experience? Or do you think playing Barea around 20 minutes is getting the Mavs ready for the playoffs?

Quote:
Right now, there is a reason to play them together. You can't play Kidd and Terry the whole game. Somebody has to be the third guard. Jones isn't ready to be that guy, so Barea has to do it.
So when will you know Jones will be ready if he doesn't play? Will he have cost the Mavs any of the 3 games they've won if he got another 5-10 minutes of time that Barea got? I seriously doubt that.

Last edited by Bayliss; 11-04-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:50 PM   #125
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

You didn't answer my question. Do you think he will be anything more than the 4th guard when Beaubois gets back?
Old 11-04-2010, 09:04 PM   #126
Bayliss

Quote:
You didn't answer my question. Do you think he will be anything more than the 4th guard when Beaubois gets back?
It doesn't matter what I think. It is whether or not Carlisle uses him. I hope he will be the odd man out of the rotation. But I have hoped that all last year too.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:26 PM   #127
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
It doesn't matter what I think. It is whether or not Carlisle uses him. I hope he will be the odd man out of the rotation. But I have hoped that all last year too.
Yes, it does matter. If he's the 4th guard, then he's not going to get more than about 10 mpg anyway, which means he probably isn't in the playoff rotation.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #128
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Unless the thought is along the lines of "Roddy CANNOT play pg", I can't see any option but for JJB's minutes to be drastically reduced once Roddy comes back.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:32 PM   #129
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

Here's hoping JJB's minutes will be reduced as soon as Roddy is healthy. I don't mind seeing JJB on the court for 8-12 minutes a game. When those 8-12 minutes turn into 18-22 minutes, then that's obviously a problem.

Right now, there are some (good) reasons why JJB is on the court a lot: 1) Roddy's out; 2) Kidd's minutes need to be reduced to around 32 per game, even though we don't have Roddy to take some of those minutes and didn't acquire another PG during the offseason to do it; 3) DoJo is a rookie and no PG to begin with; 4) Jet isn't an awesome PG either and needs to play at SG, especially during Roddy's absence and with Butler back at the 3.

The best-case scenario would be for Roddy to become our starting SG and a serviceable back-up PG. In that case, JJB's minutes could be reduced drastically. The worst-case scenario would be if Roddy wasn't able to back up Kidd at the 5 and we couldn't find someone to play the 5 as part of a midseason trade.

Then it would be either Jet/Roddy out of position at something they aren't good at or JJB. Until we can see Roddy on the court and find out what he can (or cannot) do, I'm not all that worried.

Last edited by dalger; 11-04-2010 at 10:33 PM.
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:05 PM   #130
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

*edit* I'm gonna move this post to the JJB thread, since it makes more sense there.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 11-04-2010 at 11:26 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:36 PM   #131
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Unless the thought is along the lines of "Roddy CANNOT play pg", I can't see any option but for JJB's minutes to be drastically reduced once Roddy comes back.
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting to see Roddy at point this season.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:07 AM   #132
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I would find holding your breath very difficult. In any case, as long as JJB isn't getting big minutes once Roddy is healthy, I'm down.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 11-05-2010, 01:22 AM   #133
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Well, if he is back (healthy) i expect him and Terry sharing probably all SG minutes (Dojo just in garbage time/injuries/foul trouble).

Roddy around 24min, Terry around 24min but if Barea keep on sucking like the past games (or Roddy really stepping up and being ready for 30+) i can see Terry playing additional minutes (8-10) backup PG like in some preseason games and cutting down Kidds (30-32) and Bareas (8-10) minutes.

Right now its not an option because we need Terrys minutes fulltime on SG. And maybe in some Terry/Roddy backcourt minutes they switch the roles with Roddy handling the ball etc.

Last edited by sefant77; 11-05-2010 at 01:24 AM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:21 AM   #134
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylan View Post
The problem is not Barea himself, but his overuse. When he gets more than 10-12 minutes in a game, his weaknesses are exposed dramatically.
This.

I said it and I'm not hesitant to say it again. He can be useful occasionally and if he gets like 10-12 minutes per game and not more.

Yes, we do have only one backup pg, but IMO Terry could do it also for a couple of minutes. If Kidd rests, Barea plays the point. It is the way it is, but as I mentioned, Terry could also get some burn there. Yes, he can draw charges and drives into the lane, but he shouldn't do it too often, because either he will get blocked or simply overpowered. But what really bothers me is his dribbling on the perimeter for 20 seconds and then giving the ball to someone who is already under pressure of the clock. Additionally, I might be wrong, but sometimes it seems that he is ignoring Dirk for whatever reason.

Moreover, I do not get RC's idea to play him together with Kidd or Terry. Moving Kidd to the SG spot is sort of strange and pairing him with Terry means getting an insanely weak backcourt on the defensive end. I wouldn't mind to give DoJo a few more minutes instead. Btw, we even have DeShawn Stevenson on the bench, don't we?

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)

Last edited by Sportstudi; 11-05-2010 at 07:22 AM.
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #135
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
I don't what pics JJB has on Carlisle, but I'm guessing it involves

tequila
midget stripper
donkey
mexico

There is just no excuse to play Jones 3 minutes and play Barea nearly 20 minutes.
At this point im not sure he should get any minutes, he is playing like a worse version of Antoine Wright, potential is there and he will improve, but right now he is playing like garbage
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:40 PM   #136
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

DoJo needs to wave the towel. The more he gets the team pumped, the more they stay focused. The more they stay focused, the more blowouts the team will have. The more blowouts they have, the more Jones will actually get to play. If he was more of a PG, I could see him getting minutes behind Kidd instead of JJB but he's both too new to our offense and too much of a 2/1 combo guard to play much at the 1 particularly with the other 4 guys out there needing movement
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #137
sike
The Preacha

I am VERY interested to see if Jones becomes anything other than a Deshawn Stevenson starter kit.

His handles are ok, his shot is poor, his size is below average....he better learn to shoot the rock like a madman or he could get relegated to nice defensive guy off the bench.

His lack of size and lack of speed/ball handling are my concern. The shot can be learned.

*Of course, I know this is all extremely early in his development...but I'm not sure I see the NBA talent.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:09 PM   #138
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Disagree about the handles and he is a good passer. He is a work in progress though definitely. I think he will be solid and become a very good defender
Old 11-05-2010, 04:24 PM   #139
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Disagree about the handles and he is a good passer. He is a work in progress though definitely. I think he will be solid and become a very good defender
Disagree how? You think he has strong handles? Super strong handles?

Like I said, its his lack of size and speed that concern me the most.

He is strong, but is he NBA strong or just NCAA strong?

Old 11-05-2010, 04:42 PM   #140
Bayliss

I bet he is stronger than Stackhouse was back in 2006. Does that translate into being a better player? No. But it isn't his strength (IMO) that is the problem. His lack of a 15 foot jumper (at least by the scouting reports because after all I haven't seen him play much) is the problem.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:41 PM   #141
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Disagree how? You think he has strong handles? Super strong handles?

Like I said, its his lack of size and speed that concern me the most.

He is strong, but is he NBA strong or just NCAA strong?
He is definitely NBA strong, and he has above average handles for a 2 the problem is its hard to see him being a PG
Old 11-06-2010, 03:59 PM   #142
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
He is definitely NBA strong, and he has above average handles for a 2 the problem is its hard to see him being a PG
Why would that be a problem? He isn't a pg.