Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 05-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #1881
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Wow, that was uncomfortable to watch...
Of course it was uncomfortable- HE HAS A CRICK IN HIS NECK!!!
Someone please get the poor guy a neckbrace and wheelchair.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #1882
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
zing!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:07 PM   #1883
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

edit: I guess I should read more recent posts

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 05-08-2011 at 06:48 PM.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:04 PM   #1884
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
The wheelchair is reserved for Wade.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:26 PM   #1885
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
Give me the Thunder. I don't like the prospect of facing up against Z-Bo at all as I don't think we really have anyone who can defend him well. Plus the Memphis guards are pretty stout defensively and the key to our run has been the increased production of JET and Kidd in the postseason. If they come crashing down to earth again we may in trouble.

As for the Thunder, you've already noted that Marion is about as good of a Durant defender as you can get. While Westbrook seems like a potentially scary matchup for us, all I can do is look at the numbers he's posted against us in the last two seasons, and they haven't been good at all. Plus if Westbrook wants to play hero against us, I'm willing to let him do so because he's just about the most inefficient member of their offense right now.

You are right that Ibaka seems to be about as ideal of a Dirk defender as one can think of, but it's not like Dirk has had much trouble against the Thunder in the ~50 minutes he played against the Thunder this season (he absolutely torched them). Even though that's a pretty limited sample to draw from, I'm also of the opinion that Dirk is unguardable one-on-one right now so I'll take my chances against Ibaka even if he is long and super athletic. I think the most underrated aspect of the Thunder matchup is that it will free up Chandler to be a beast again whereas facing up against Randolph is going to be another bad defensive matchup that could result in more foul trouble for our big guy.

I'll take the Thunder, who I think get overrated because everyone loves Durant so much. And whether or not they are truly overrated, we seem to do pretty well against them anyways. It seems strange to fear a 8th seed in the Western Conference Finals, but I'm not a huge fan of the Memphis matchup. And it's not like our franchise has had the best history with 8th seeds...
Well, first of all let me say that you make good points, and I'm not thrilled with either match up.

But a couple of rebuttals:

1. I think Tyson can guard Randolph. I don't fear him any more than I feared Aldridge. He'll be tough and he might get Tyson in foul trouble a couple of times, but I certainly think Tyson can stay with him.

2. I'm not sure that Ibaka guarded Dirk much during the regular season. We never played them before they got Perkins, and unless I'm mistaken, they generally played Ibaka at center before that trade.

3. At the end of the day, if the teams seem relatively equal, then I don't want the team with the best player. And Durant is clearly the best player on either of those teams.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:46 PM   #1886
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
3. At the end of the day, if the teams seem relatively equal, then I don't want the team with the best player. And Durant is clearly the best player on either of those teams.
I think I am coming around to this way of thinking...both teams are scary though just because of the youth and athleticism.

The Mavs just beat an old, slow team. The "We beat the Lakers, so obviously we're going to win the WCF" attitude that a lot of Mavs fans are putting out there today is a farce. That will have nothing to do with anything next round because, as we all know, styles make fights.

I would rather avoid that OKC crowd too, like you've been saying. That's a big factor, for whatever reason.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:56 PM   #1887
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

I think we should complain about the path ahead no matter how difficult it appears. If it looks tough, we should complain about the fact that it's not easy. But if it looks easy, we should complain about the Mavs suddenly becoming a slacking, overconfident team, even though there's never been any evidence of such a thing.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:34 PM   #1888
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
I would rather avoid that OKC crowd too, like you've been saying. That's a big factor, for whatever reason.
We have HCA, for whatever that's worth...

Old 05-08-2011, 11:52 PM   #1889
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

well we also beat Portland who is pretty athletic at the 2-4 sans Roy
Old 05-08-2011, 11:55 PM   #1890
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
We have HCA, for whatever that's worth...
That's the question...what is it worth? 11 of 12 series this year have featured road teams winning at least one game if not more.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:59 AM   #1891
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Portland crowd > OKC crowd
Old 05-09-2011, 01:00 AM   #1892
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

We might lose. Good point, Flaco. I'm scared now.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:23 AM   #1893
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
That's the question...what is it worth? 11 of 12 series this year have featured road teams winning at least one game if not more.
whats the mavs record at home in the playoffs?
Old 05-09-2011, 02:31 AM   #1894
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
whats the mavs record at home in the playoffs?
According to Flaco, the Mavs' wins in Portland and LA now count against them in the "11 of 12" category. This is why they're much more likely to lose a home game next round than win a road game. See how it works?

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 05-09-2011 at 02:32 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:49 PM   #1895
fluid.forty.one

Go Celtics, Go.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #1896
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

go celtics go
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:25 PM   #1897
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

It amuses me greatly that Chris Bosh is such garbage.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:28 PM   #1898
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
It amuses me greatly that Chris Bosh is such garbage.
He just has jitters, that's all.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 05-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #1899
FINtastic
Diamond Member

I loved how in that highlight package coming out of the half they talked about Miami's "Big Three" but only had highlights of Lebron and Wade.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 05-09-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #1900
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe Bosh heard me. He's managed to string together a few buckets, almost as if he's a real basketball player.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:16 PM   #1901
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Good god this game has been hard to watch.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #1902
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

I like how Pau and Bosh were considered two of the best PF's in the game during this past summer...these playoffs has showed that both are the equivalent of cottonelle ultra tissue with aloe vera

Ball don't lie boys and girls
Old 05-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #1903
OSUmavsfan

OSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to all

Does anyone else watching this game (especially the 4th quarter) feel like the Mavs are much better than these teams right now?
OSUmavsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:32 PM   #1904
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUmavsfan View Post
Does anyone else watching this game (especially the 4th quarter) feel like the Mavs are much better than these teams right now?
I think the Mavs could probably beat the Celtics, but I just don't want any part of the Heat. I'm rooting really hard for the Celtics to miraculously reach the finals again, because Chicago and Miami both worry me.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:33 PM   #1905
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Why in the world did the Heat burn clock there?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #1906
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

C'mon Celtics....
Old 05-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #1907
OSUmavsfan

OSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
I think the Mavs could probably beat the Celtics, but I just don't want any part of the Heat. I'm rooting really hard for the Celtics to miraculously reach the finals again, because Chicago and Miami both worry me.
I'm rooting hard for the Celtics too just because of my hatred for the Heat. The level of play has picked up a lot since my last post haha, but I'm a lot more confident about our chances against any of these teams than I've been since about January.
OSUmavsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #1908
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Ugh... overtime...
Old 05-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #1909
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
Chicago? There's nothing very scary about them right now from what I can see. They had a great run in the regular season but Boozer has been non-existent in the playoffs, and their offense is built around an inefficient point guard who seems to still be having trouble with his ankle. I guess he's got some time to heal between now and the Finals, but I can't see Bulls even making it there with the way they are currently playing. It's between the Celts and the Heat as for who comes out of the East, and honestly I think the Heat are the pick right now if I had to place a bet.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 05-09-2011, 08:39 PM   #1910
LonghornDub

I think people are sorely mistaken to think the Heat are more dangerous than the Celtics. If the Celtics reach the Finals, they are going to be firing on all cylinders and very tough to beat. They have a better coach than the Heat, and a better roster 3-8 than the Heat.

Oh, and not to mention that whole championship experience, Finals appearance last year, etc.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:40 PM   #1911
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
Chicago? There's nothing very scary about them right now from what I can see. They had a great run in the regular season but Boozer has been non-existent in the playoffs, and their offense is built around an inefficient point guard who seems to still be having trouble with his ankle. I guess he's got some time to heal between now and the Finals, but I can't see Bulls even making it there with the way they are currently playing. It's between the Celts and the Heat as for who comes out of the East, and honestly I think the Heat are the pick right now if I had to place a bet.
I say Chicago simply because Derrick Rose is the kind of player the Mavs are completely incapable of guarding; a lightning-quick high-scoring PG.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #1912
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

Quote:
Despite our record against them in the regular season, I think we could beat Chicago...if our bench can stay hot as they are I also think we can beat Miami...again
Old 05-09-2011, 08:46 PM   #1913
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. The Brons go 7-0 in OT.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:47 PM   #1914
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I think people are sorely mistaken to think the Heat are more dangerous than the Celtics. If the Celtics reach the Finals, they are going to be firing on all cylinders and very tough to beat. They have a better coach than the Heat, and a better roster 3-8 than the Heat.

Oh, and not to mention that whole championship experience, Finals appearance last year, etc.
I really couldn't disagree more. Yeah, the Celts have a better coach and a better bench, but the Heat have two of the top five players in the game plus another all-star. The Celtics just don't have that kind of offensive firepower, nor do the Celts have anything resembling a low-post threat.

I just have trouble seeing the Mavs being able to contain both Lebron and Wade in a seven game series. One of them, sure. But both of them? It worries me.

Edit: BTW, I must say I don't think there's anything in sports more overrated and truly irrelevant than "championship experience." The better team wins, regardless of experience. I think the Spurs/Grizzlies and Mavs/Lakers series should have proved that much.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 05-09-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:47 PM   #1915
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Hahaha, I just saw this but were there Celtics fans in the seats wearing shirts with Kobe's face on them? They looked like the Obama presidential campaign posters so I'm guessing the bottom said Nope.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 05-09-2011, 08:51 PM   #1916
Mav Addict
Golden Member

A. Rondo is one tough SOB

B. As much as I hate Dwade, I would have suppressed those feeling if he signed with the Mavs

C. Peja is our Ray Allen

D. I think the Mavs would defeat the Celts in 5

Last edited by Mav Addict; 05-09-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Mav Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:10 PM   #1917
LonghornDub

Quote:
I really couldn't disagree more. Yeah, the Celts have a better coach and a better bench, but the Heat have two of the top five players in the game plus another all-star. The Celtics just don't have that kind of offensive firepower, nor do the Celts have anything resembling a low-post threat.

I just have trouble seeing the Mavs being able to contain both Lebron and Wade in a seven game series. One of them, sure. But both of them? It worries me.

Edit: BTW, I must say I don't think there's anything in sports more overrated and truly irrelevant than "championship experience." The better team wins, regardless of experience. I think the Spurs/Grizzlies and Mavs/Lakers series should have proved that much.
You couldn't disagree more? Of all the things on the earth we could possibly disagree about, this is #1 on the list in terms of magnitude? Strong punch there, but somehow I doubt that.

Your point about Mavs-Lakers and Spurs-Grizzlies completely misses the mark. I didn't say championship experience is determinative of all playoff series. I didn't even say it's the most important factor. Surely not. But in the pressure of the Finals, the biggest stage, if you think it's not a huge boost to have been there before as a team, you are absolutely kidding yourself. Of course it matters. The "better team wins"---yeah, and part of being the better team is having team experience. Do you think it's just some mathematical equation where you add up all the talent on each team, and that's the "better team"?

The Mavs don't need to contain both LeBron and Wade. You don't contain both of them. Hell, I'm not even sure you contain one of them. Limit them as much as possible and shut down the other guys. Are those two going to combine for 95 a game for a 7-game series?

The first paragraph of your post is pretty misguided, too. The Celtics have four all-stars. They have a fantastic point guard (assuming he's healthy, which if they make the Finals, I'd assume he would be). You just said you didn't want to deal with Rose because we can't guard PG's, but you'd want to deal with Rondo and three other All-stars? Rose is better than Rondo, but KG, Allen, and Pierce are sure as hell better than...Carlos Boozer and Joakim Noah.

And your statement about "offensive firepower" seems to beg the question. Part of the debate is whether having the best two players means you have the best team. The Heat have more offensive firepower at the top, but the Celtics' top four guys are better than anyone else on the Heat roster. The Celtics were the best FG% team in the entire league this year. No offensive firepower? Ok, then.

I absolutely agree the Heat have the two best players, and two of the top five in the league. But to act like that's everything....well, it's no different than the logic advanced to explain why the Mavs couldn't beat the Lakers in the playoffs.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 05-09-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:24 PM   #1918
Mav Addict
Golden Member

I don't care what happens.... I refuse to drink that Memphis koolaid
Old 05-09-2011, 09:29 PM   #1919
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav Addict View Post
I don't care what happens.... I refuse to drink that Memphis koolaid
Memphis is built a lot like the Lakers - big guys, good defense, lots of transition, inside scoring...

They're probably the deepest team aside from us, but I'll take our playoff-tested veterans in a 7-game series... Memphis would be like a virgin hooking up with a porn star if they made it to the WCF.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-09-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:31 PM   #1920
Stylistic
Golden Member

Stylistic is a glorious beacon of lightStylistic is a glorious beacon of lightStylistic is a glorious beacon of lightStylistic is a glorious beacon of lightStylistic is a glorious beacon of lightStylistic is a glorious beacon of lightStylistic is a glorious beacon of light

OKC is just lazy on defense. They also take terrible quality shots. They are also soft.
Stylistic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cadqweefsfordragic, return of the quack!