Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-30-2008, 01:09 PM   #161
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't want to start a thread about this but Tim Mcmahon is really getting on my nerves wit these useless articles. Can you just imagine what would have happened if Avery tried to coach Kobe. LOL. Kobe would own Avery lol

Mavs should have pulled trigger on Dirk-Kobe trade
9:48 AM Fri, May 30, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

AP

It's easy to say told-ya-so after Kobe carried the Lakers to the West title, putting LA on his back during crunch time of the clincher over the Spurs. So I will.

Kobe was on my list of six dudes I'd trade straight up for Dirk, which was crafted when folks were trying to run the big German out of town after the BPUIMPSH vs. Golden State. (Dwyane Wade has since been scratched from the list. I'm adding Chris Paul.)

This is a somewhat timely topic because Mark Cuban acknowledged that deal was discussed with the Lakers (briefly), just as he acknowledged that a Josh Howard-for-Pau Gasol deal was discussed but never offered.

"I wasn't going to trade Dirk straight up and they weren't going to do anything else," Cuban said at the end of his ESPN 103.3 FM interview Wednesday. "If something else would have presented itself, I would have done it."

Could Kobe have won a title with the Dirkless Mavs this season? Probably not, unless the Howard/Gasol deal wen
Old 05-30-2008, 01:59 PM   #162
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsufferingmavsfan
I didn't want to start a thread about this but Tim Mcmahon is really getting on my nerves wit these useless articles. Can you just imagine what would have happened if Avery tried to coach Kobe. LOL. Kobe would own Avery lol

Mavs should have pulled trigger on Dirk-Kobe trade
9:48 AM Fri, May 30, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

AP

It's easy to say told-ya-so after Kobe carried the Lakers to the West title, putting LA on his back during crunch time of the clincher over the Spurs. So I will.

Kobe was on my list of six dudes I'd trade straight up for Dirk, which was crafted when folks were trying to run the big German out of town after the BPUIMPSH vs. Golden State. (Dwyane Wade has since been scratched from the list. I'm adding Chris Paul.)

This is a somewhat timely topic because Mark Cuban acknowledged that deal was discussed with the Lakers (briefly), just as he acknowledged that a Josh Howard-for-Pau Gasol deal was discussed but never offered.

"I wasn't going to trade Dirk straight up and they weren't going to do anything else," Cuban said at the end of his ESPN 103.3 FM interview Wednesday. "If something else would have presented itself, I would have done it."

Could Kobe have won a title with the Dirkless Mavs this season? Probably not, unless the Howard/Gasol deal wen
No thanks. I don't want that whiner here. He broke up the championship team earlier this millenium and almost did it last off-season (wanting to trade Bynum, wanting Kidd (which means no Fisher or Farmar), and ultimately wanted out himself). I don't care what people say or how good he is.

Last edited by Caseman; 05-30-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:11 PM   #163
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman
No thanks. I don't want that whiner here. He broke up the championship team earlier this millenium and almost did it last off-season (wanting to trade Bynum, wanting Kidd (which means no Fisher or Farmar), and ultimately wanted out himself). I don't care what people say or how good he is.
Good point Caseman, if they didn't get Pau in that "trade" that team might have probably gotten beat in the first round again and Kobe would have been crying again.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:45 PM   #164
bgarrett
Banned

bgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the rough

yeah, IF they even made the playoffs, they went on a nice streak after they got pau, and the west was a tight race. With no Bynum too.
bgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:29 PM   #165
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

I think at the point in time when all these rumors began the Lakers would have settled for Howard and Harris for Kobe, but we were gun shy at the wrong time and eventually trigger happy after realizing our mistake. Even if it was Dirk for Kobe looking back now the team may have been better off: Harris/Kobe/Howard/Bass/Dampier seems more complete than what we were/are.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:44 PM   #166
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

edit.

Go Mavs

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84

Last edited by alby; 05-30-2008 at 05:58 PM.
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:52 PM   #167
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

edit.

Go Mavs

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 05-30-2008 at 05:53 PM.
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:59 PM   #168
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
edit.

Go Mavs
That's true.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:29 PM   #169
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman
So when Kobe wants to revamp the team it's a horrible idea, but when we make a trade to appease Dirk from bitching it's a good one? Players shouldn't have any say in the matter, it's the reason they aren't calling the shots on the successful teams. Another example is Lebron, he wanted help and while his team got temporarily better they aren't going anywhere with that team... he doesn't know what the hell is good for him, demanding immediate changes is silly when there's nothing decent on the table.

And if Kobe didn't "force" Shaq out of town they wouldn't be where they are right now, think about that for a minute and get back to me a few years from now... we can count how many titles the Lakers accumulate and then judge how stupid of a move that was.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:38 PM   #170
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

so far, they are at 0.

Contact Me
Old 05-31-2008, 06:41 PM   #171
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
so far, they are at 0.
you are a math wizard...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:33 PM   #172
Caseman
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokey41
So when Kobe wants to revamp the team it's a horrible idea, but when we make a trade to appease Dirk from bitching it's a good one? Players shouldn't have any say in the matter, it's the reason they aren't calling the shots on the successful teams. Another example is Lebron, he wanted help and while his team got temporarily better they aren't going anywhere with that team... he doesn't know what the hell is good for him, demanding immediate changes is silly when there's nothing decent on the table.

And if Kobe didn't "force" Shaq out of town they wouldn't be where they are right now, think about that for a minute and get back to me a few years from now... we can count how many titles the Lakers accumulate and then judge how stupid of a move that was.
Um, Dirk didn't call out a player to get traded. Dirk didn't threaten to leave his franchise. Dirk never had personality clashes with the all-stars on his team. You can sugar-coat it as wanting a better team, but it's just whining. And when the league saw that poor Kobe Koberson was in distress, they went and bought him a new puppy, Gasol.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:50 PM   #173
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
so far, they are at 0.
They would have to be pretty damn good to win a title in their first year before the season is even over, wouldn't you say? Like I said, we'll have to wait a few years... we know Shaq had maybe two good years left in him (and one title), we'll see how it plays out for L.A. I have a feeling they aren't mourning... in fact they are probably enjoying staying competitive for many more years to come while their division rival suffers that cap space crippling contract and the shell that was once Shaq.

Quote:
Um, Dirk didn't call out a player to get traded. Dirk didn't threaten to leave his franchise. Dirk never had personality clashes with the all-stars on his team. You can sugar-coat it as wanting a better team, but it's just whining. And when the league saw that poor Kobe Koberson was in distress, they went and bought him a new puppy, Gasol.
Believe me the personality differences between Dirk and Kobe are almost endless, but there are things that Kobe has that I sometimes wish Dirk had. Kobe called out his entire team and they responded incredibly well, why is this a bad thing? I wish someone on our roster had the balls to say that everyone else sucked... get a fire started in them, we seem to play our best when we have something to prove. Furthermore, Kobe isn't the only teammate who has had 'personality clashes' with Shaq. We don't know what went on between them, and it doesn't really matter.

Wanting a better team and whining are often the same thing in this league, Kobe's definitely not the only star that complains. The hate for Kobe on this board and many others is ridiculous. Are we just jealous and a bit resentful because he could have been ours?
Old 05-31-2008, 09:52 PM   #174
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Main thing I think kobe(and duncan) has that dirk doesn't is jackzen and pops. He's had crap.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:13 PM   #175
alby
Guru

Yeah, and imagine if Dirk had Manu/Parker/Pop or Gasol/Odumb/Phil... oh and gets every call in the book

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 05-31-2008 at 10:13 PM.