Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-19-2006, 04:56 PM   #241
TVI

TVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by raefformvp
I just head a Tony Parker interview on the Ticket where Parker said that Terry has been throwing punches all series. What an a-hole. I hate what this has done to tarnish Terry's reputaion. He's one of the classiest guys in the NBA. Yes, he made a mistake Wednesday night, but everyone makes mistakes.
Or two, or three, or four...

01/22/02
NBA announces that Shareef Abdur-Rahim (three games) and Jason Terry (one game) have been suspended as a result of an altercation during the Hawks vs. Rockets game on Jan. 21. Abdur-Rahim also received a $15,000 fine, while Terry incurred a $7,500 fine. Terry admit's he threw a punch.

04/17/02
NBA - Suspended Atlanta's Jason Terry and Orlando's Don Reid for one game; fined Terry $10,000 and Reid $7,500 for their actions in Tuesday evening's game.

11/2/03
Atlanta Hawks guard Jason Terry was suspended by the NBA for one game without pay Sunday after he elbowed Indiana's Anthony Johnson during a loss to the Pacers.

05/18/06
Dallas starting guard Jason Terry was suspended for Game 6 of the Western Conference semifinal series against San Antonio for punching Spurs forward Michael Finley during the fourth quarter of Game 5.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:08 PM   #242
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylan
My point is that the NBA has this one hard and fast rule about a closed fist, and a bunch of whinging wishy washy iffy Kerryesque contextual method for every other type of aggression in the known universe, and that's a problem.
Delicious!
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 05:13 PM   #243
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylan
Karl Malone's elbow bloodying Steve Nash's lip after a rebound in Dec 2003 was much worse, and every bit as intentional as Terry's punch, but everyone looked the other way. If I remember correctly, Malone got away with saying, "he shouldn't be down there, trying to get the ball."
For the record, Malone received a one game suspension for that play (12/5/03).
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 05:16 PM   #244
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I dont care if its 10 million dollars and 100 million for Cuban, its just bad business to lower the level of competition by suspending a guy like that. That is, unless the NBA is looking at record profits every game and wanted a game 7.

It really is too bad that there won't be a 7

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 05-19-2006 at 05:18 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 05:37 PM   #245
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays
For the record, Malone received a one game suspension for that play (12/5/03).
Really? Sweet. I guess I was so pissed that I didn't watch NBA news for a day or two. Funny how my mind works.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 06:54 PM   #246
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
who's the apologist, again? The poster that is putting Terry's past where it belongs-- 4 years behind him or the guy that is looking for aproval from Stern, Jackson and all the posters at Spurstalk by REPEATEDLY over 24 hours spouting out the company line about how punches are punches, yadda yadda and how Terry isnt a good Mav?
Looking for approval...that makes zero sense. This is the only NBA board I post on, so there goes that theory.

I never once said Terry was a bad Maverick. I've said repeatedly that I LOVE Jason Terry. But it makes one look ignorant to put on blinders to what is actually happening.

A punch is in fact a punch. If you can honestly say that you wouldn't want Bowen to be suspended if he punched Dirk in the nuts then fine. But I haven't seen anyone say that. All I see is homers that don't want their player to get what they deserve when they make a mistake.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:04 PM   #247
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
All I see is homers that don't want their player to get what they deserve when they make a mistake.
I think, jthig, that the reaction we initially saw from Mavs fans was one of indignation and anger. I mean, 5 stages of acceptance anyone? Straight-shot at #1 is denial. A number of people were very angry at what happened, and so in-depth analysis ensued over whether or not Terry did anything wrong to warrant such a steep penalty. We saw a great deal of back and forth where established posters were at each other's throats...but that has certainly died down has it not?

You'll also notice, now, that cooler heads are prevailing. People are disputing less the validity of the NBA's punishment of Terry; the issue has become one of inconsistency and inequity - one I am sure you can see is valid.

So just let it go dude - with an hour and a half to game time, let's quit busting on each other and bust on the ******-******* who've been begging for a beating.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:14 PM   #248
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think, jthig, that the reaction we initially saw from Mavs fans was one of indignation and anger. I mean, 5 stages of acceptance anyone? Straight-shot at #1 is denial. A number of people were very angry at what happened, and so in-depth analysis ensued over whether or not Terry did anything wrong to warrant such a steep penalty. We saw a great deal of back and forth where established posters were at each other's throats...but that has certainly died down has it not?

You'll also notice, now, that cooler heads are prevailing. People are disputing less the validity of the NBA's punishment of Terry; the issue has become one of inconsistency and inequity - one I am sure you can see is valid.

So just let it go dude - with an hour and a half to game time, let's quit busting on each other and bust on the ******-******* who've been begging for a beating.
Well, no, I don't think cooler heads have prevailed. I think most people have probably just gotten tired of discussing it. But I don't see anyone changing their stance, that's for sure. My main issue now is with Erica, who has continued to debate with me, so I fail to see why it is my responsibility to let it go.

I am, however, very ready for the game.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 05-19-2006, 07:30 PM   #249
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
I think most people have probably just gotten tired of discussing it.
Except for you and EL it would appear. Shall we let sleeping dogs lie?

Quote:
so I fail to see why it is my responsibility to let it go.
C'mon, because you're the bigger person? An argument that is going nowhere deserves no second thought.

Quote:
I am, however, very ready for the game.
Game on!
Old 05-19-2006, 07:37 PM   #250
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
C'mon, because you're the bigger person? An argument that is going nowhere deserves no second thought.
Yeah but it's really helping my post count.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 05-19-2006, 08:12 PM   #251
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking this afternoon, about how fan reaction probably differs from player reaction. Put yourself in the players' shoes. You probably believe you are the better team. You know that you are up 3-2, and that you have won the two games on your home court. You know that you can win the series tonight. Are you sitting around thinking how whipped you are now that Terry is out of the game?

If you're Dirk, surely not. You probably welcome the challenge.

If you're Harris, you are giddy about the extra opportunity, and you are eager to prove your worth.

If you're Stackhouse, same thing. This is the stage you have always wanted, starting the biggest game in these playoffs and taking a large step toward getting a ring. (Oh, and one less option besides you for the game-winner, if it comes to it.)

If you're Griffin, you're excited about maybe finally getting some burn. Daniels, probably a bit of the same.

Howard, I don't know. In fact, I can never imagine what that guy is thinking.

The rest of them, who knows. But I can certainly see how this team would be raring to go for tonight.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote