Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-18-2006, 06:40 PM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default After watching the video, did you see the punch?

I'll be honest, I still haven't seen the punch. I would love to know what the consensus is. I've seen both the TNT feed and the feed that was sent to the league. I just haven't seen the punch.

What is everyone elses take? If it's not 100% conclusive in a situation like this, I don't know how a suspension could be handed out. People, please tell me that there was indeed a punch. Please tell me that I'm just 'missing' seeing Terry's fist connect with Finley.

Did you see the punch? Is there anything conclusive?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2006, 06:41 PM   #2
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

A better question would be how could you not see the punch?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:43 PM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be honest, I haven't seen it. The guys on TheTicket have all mentioned that they cannot tell whether or not there was a punch. Several guys on this board have mentioned the same.

I'm definitely not alone.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:43 PM   #4
thunderFence
Banned

thunderFence can only hope to improve

By the letter of the law .. if he threw a punch (closed fist)... i think... suspension

but unless the league has a better angle .. you can't see a punch.. you can only assume that was a punch with a closed fist.

first of all ..Finley has ovaries
second.. he is a sack o sh'ite
thunderFence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:44 PM   #5
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Are you watching the video from the San Antonio TV station? Do you see Terry's arm moving? What else do you think it could be doing?
Old 05-18-2006, 06:45 PM   #6
thunderFence
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
I'll be honest, I haven't seen it. The guys on TheTicket have all mentioned that they cannot tell whether or not there was a punch. Several guys on this board have mentioned the same.

I'm definitely not alone.
http://www.woai.com/mediacenter/?videoId=250811,565
Old 05-18-2006, 06:46 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Yes, I saw the video from the SA TV station. That's the same video that everyone from TheTicket saw. It's the same one that most on this site have seen.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:46 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderFence
Can you see a conclusive punch landing?
Old 05-18-2006, 06:47 PM   #9
thunderFence
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Are you watching the video from the San Antonio TV station? Do you see Terry's arm moving? What else do you think it could be doing?

checking to see if michelle has a hernia from picking up those enormous check from us over the last decade

he raped us for years .. what is the suspension for that?
Old 05-18-2006, 06:48 PM   #10
roadrunner
Golden Member

roadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Yes, his arm moves toward Michelle's mid-section. But, it is hard to tell if it was an open hand or closed fist. In addition, it was so quick that we dont know if JT was just trying to push him off instead of some malicious punch or grab of the nuts. Until I see better video, I am inclined to think that Michelle over-reacted.
We ran like a simple play, and usually the ball doesn’t come get me until later. So I just trotted through the play and I looked to the ball, and it was already right there in my face. … He sees the floor so well and sometimes he throws the ball and we don’t see it. He’s liable to really throw anything.” Dirk

Kidd to Dirk is the present day Stockton to Malone.

roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:48 PM   #11
chumdawg
Guru

Do you see Terry's arm moving in the video? I know that it is hard to see because the video is small and grainy and it happens quickly. Obviously, if you don't see his arm moving you don't see a punch.

Last edited by chumdawg; 05-18-2006 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:53 PM   #12
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

I can't see it--but since I turned fifty my eyes aren't what they used to be. I can see Terry's arm move. Could be a punch; could be trying to push Finley off of him. Could be feeling Finley up.

I can't tell much of anything.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:53 PM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

Chum, I see his arm moving..but I must say that there's still too many "what if's" in the situation.

It was stupid for Terry to put the Mavs in that situation, but I still cannot conclusively see whether or not Terry makes contact with Finley or where he makes contact.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:54 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousSummer
I can't see it--but since I turned fifty my eyes aren't what they used to be. I can see Terry's arm move. Could be a punch; could be trying to push Finley off of him. Could be feeling Finley up.

I can't tell much of anything.
That's exactly my view. You just cannot tell from the video.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:54 PM   #15
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

When I was in 1st grade, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were all the fad and I was a tomboy, but for being a tomboy, I got to play with the boys. They however made me pretend to be the crappy characters. One fine day, I was forced to be shredder, and I took the responsibility seriously. I pretended to have claws and clawed at the air to look mean.

Well a witchy little teacher who must have been 70 at the time and is most likely dead now, saw me and marched me to the principals office where I burst out crying. The teacher said that I had been throwing rocks at the other kids, and I was so steamed I nearly hit her in the fat old-persons gut. When I told her that I didnt, she said that I was lying and that she clearly saw my arm move.

Whats the point of the story? I dont know.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 05-18-2006 at 06:55 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:55 PM   #16
thunderFence
Banned

One more word..

chris kamen

wasn't that just a fine in a blatant crotch grabbing incident?
Old 05-18-2006, 06:56 PM   #17
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
One more word..

chris kamen

It was just a bad time and place for a briss.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:01 PM   #18
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Terry slapped Finley's arm of his body..basically..and they said it was a punch....Its is crap and there should be no suspension....maybe a fine...but not even tht

And Chumdawg get of of Terry balls because we all see his arm movin...but to slap Finley's arm of his body

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS

Last edited by AxdemxO; 05-18-2006 at 07:01 PM.
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 07:01 PM   #19
thunderFence
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
It was just a bad time and place for a briss.

Thanks Holmes.. I was debating dinner tonight but Dickeys Barbeque it is.

Chopped Beef , kind mohel.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:04 PM   #20
thunderFence
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxdemxO
Terry slapped Finley's arm of his body..basically..and they said it was a punch....Its is crap and there should be no suspension....maybe a fine...but not even tht

And Chumdawg get of of Terry balls because we all see his arm movin...but to slap Finley's arm of his body

Was there a foul called on the play by the delightful NBA officials calling the game from the floor during the action?
Yeah... new york knows what's up from that angle.

They are altering the series ..
this is ridiculous
Old 05-18-2006, 07:41 PM   #21
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

I cant' access the video because I'm browsing with a mac safari browser. Can anyone post a few screenshots of the alleged incident?

This is the cheapest thing I have ever heard of in sports. They beat us fair and square so they got to take one more cheap shot to help even out the fact that they lost the HCA. Fuking bush league. FINLEY'S JERSEY SHOULD BE BURNED IN FRONT OF THE ACC ON FRIDAY!
Old 05-18-2006, 07:42 PM   #22
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsanctuary
I cant' access the video because I'm browsing with a mac safari browser. Can anyone post a few screenshots of the alleged incident?

This is the cheapest thing I have ever heard of in sports. They beat us fair and square so they got to take one more cheap shot to help even out the fact that they lost the HCA. Fuking bush league. FINLEY'S JERSEY SHOULD BE BURNED IN FRONT OF THE ACC ON FRIDAY!
I'm trying to, but its active X and I can't seem to get a screen capture or video capture
Old 05-18-2006, 07:44 PM   #23
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

Thanks for trying Erica, I'm sorry about this Fin thing, it's got to hurt...

There was a time when he was a class act!

Last edited by birdsanctuary; 05-18-2006 at 07:44 PM.
birdsanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 07:47 PM   #24
veronicamae

veronicamae is an unknown quantity at this point

to those that watched the video, it's pretty clear that it was a closed-fisted punch. however, it is harder to see in this little computer clip than it was on TV. i saw it on the news and it was definitely a deliberate punch - and things like that happen sometimes.

i would like to know how this is all Finley's fault - he didn't say, "hey terry, c'mon and punch me why don't ya!"

Last edited by veronicamae; 05-18-2006 at 07:49 PM.
veronicamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 07:49 PM   #25
scorched03

scorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by veronicamae
to those that watched the video, it's pretty clear that it was a closed-fisted punch.

i would like to know how this is all Finley's fault - he didn't say, "hey terry, c'mon and punch me why don't ya!"
why get on a guy already on the floor when another teammate is already on the ball?
officials were coming. did he need to be there too?

and if ginobli keeps flopping in the lane, i dunno what to say if he gets stepped on one of these days. makes no sense why flop when your head is in the general area of where centers/pfs are turning to grab a rebound.

Last edited by scorched03; 05-18-2006 at 07:53 PM.
scorched03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 07:51 PM   #26
veronicamae

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorched03
why get on a guy already on the floor when another teammate is already on the ball?
officials were coming. did he need to be there too?
um, yes, that is how you go about helping to retrieve the ball. you don't stand around and wait for someone else to do it.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:52 PM   #27
veronicamae

also, it was reported that the Spurs reported the incident, not Finley, so i'm baffled that all of you are trashing him like this. was he, or was he not, your franchise player before Dirk took over?

i think anyone who got punched in the balls would be mad enough to report it, or have the team report it, if that's what happened.

Last edited by veronicamae; 05-18-2006 at 07:53 PM.
veronicamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 07:55 PM   #28
scorched03

scorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
also, it was reported that the Spurs reported the incident, not Finley, so i'm baffled that all of you are trashing him like this. was he, or was he not, your franchise player before Dirk took over?

i think anyone who got punched in the balls would be mad enough to report it, or have the team report it, if that's what happened.
and bowen is a great defender
http://brucebowen.ytmnd.com/

this only got a fine.

some people in dallas still love him. cuz he did everything.
did anyone ever boo avery? same question back to you.
answer: its the playoffs and loyalty is only to your team.

Last edited by scorched03; 05-18-2006 at 07:57 PM.
scorched03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 07:58 PM   #29
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Beats me...but it's obvious that it's the letter of the law, not the act itself that's at issue here. If it's a closed fist then the nba rules say they have to suspend even if it wouldn't go through a paper bag.

If there is a video of a closed fist or a jpeg, I'd like to see it. If not then I have a gripe.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 07:58 PM   #30
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
I'm trying to, but its active X and I can't seem to get a screen capture or video capture
I had to open it with explorer.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 05-18-2006, 08:00 PM   #31
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
One more word..

chris kamen

Since crotch-grabbing isn't in the league rule-books, they couldn't make a judgement call.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:01 PM   #32
dude1394
Guru

Quote:

Well spurs are wimps and mikes a spur so mikes a wimp.

Especially if the wussy spurs actually sent this in to attempt to get a guy suspended. Hopefully it will backfire on their pansy-asses and finleys.

Last edited by dude1394; 05-18-2006 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:01 PM   #33
kenny9

kenny9 will become famous soon enough

stu jackson made some comments on the espn site regarding this that anything like punch results in a suspension...what about a kick from bowen in the regular season? he didnt get suspended...or how bout elbows to the face from Kobe?

this is a tactical move by the spurs...desperate but u cant do anything about it...it could lie within the same sense as nellie doing a hack-a-bowen so he can upstart the mavs....if the spurs feel just to have terry suspended to win...go ahead...i know we will come out with fire...but we gota sustain that...if we play with too much emotion that'll just help the spurs...

with that said...stu also said he interviewed both players--fin and terry...anyways has avery or dirk or anyone made comments about this?
kenny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:04 PM   #34
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

avery talked to cuban and cuban hinted at it-- AJ is dissapointed but knows that terry could have gotten injured-- hes making the same adjustments

Dirk hasnt spoken-- he heard about it late and called Terry to talk. Thats all.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:05 PM   #35
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny9
stu jackson made some comments on the espn site regarding this that anything like punch results in a suspension...what about a kick from bowen in the regular season? he didnt get suspended...or how bout elbows to the face from Kobe?

this is a tactical move by the spurs...desperate but u cant do anything about it...it could lie within the same sense as nellie doing a hack-a-bowen so he can upstart the mavs....if the spurs feel just to have terry suspended to win...go ahead...i know we will come out with fire...but we gota sustain that...if we play with too much emotion that'll just help the spurs...

with that said...stu also said he interviewed both players--fin and terry...anyways has avery or dirk or anyone made comments about this?
So he's interviewed fin and terry. Terry says he didn't do it, fin can't know what he did, he obviously thinks he was punched but he cannot know if it was closed hand or not.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:10 PM   #36
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

It's a punch by the constructionist view.. but the fact that Terry was on the floor with two guys on top of him, the lack of conclusive evidence that he landed the punch or that his fist was fully clenched, and the penumbrae of previous one-game suspension rulings make it horseshit.

I'm calling it a semi-fisted shove-slap.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:14 PM   #37
wescx

wescx will become famous soon enoughwescx will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylan
It's a punch by the constructionist view.. but the fact that Terry was on the floor with two guys on top of him, the lack of conclusive evidence that he landed the punch or that his fist was fully clenched, and the penumbrae of previous one-game suspension rulings make it horseshit.

I'm calling it a semi-fisted shove-slap.
Agree 100%
Old 05-18-2006, 08:16 PM   #38
veronicamae

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorched03
and bowen is a great defender
http://brucebowen.ytmnd.com/

this only got a fine.

some people in dallas still love him. cuz he did everything.
did anyone ever boo avery? same question back to you.
answer: its the playoffs and loyalty is only to your team.
I'm guessing that link is to the Ray Allen-kicking incident. It's not the players fault/choice what kind of penalty they get.

I heard a few boos for Avery last night, but most people cheered, and have been cheering him, at every game for his introduction.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:16 PM   #39
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

I just soo the video on NBA Shootaround...and its a lil bit more clear...but still its not like he actually punches him on the balls....soo i still stand by my statmenr tth there should not have been a suspension...maybe a fine. He does not even make contact...barely...and its not Finley's balls.

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:18 PM   #40
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
I'm guessing that link is to the Ray Allen-kicking incident. It's not the players fault/choice what kind of penalty they get.

I heard a few boos for Avery last night, but most people cheered, and have been cheering him, at every game for his introduction.
just curious, why arent you on spursreport? It seems like you'd find a lot more agreement there.