Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-14-2009, 12:41 PM   #1441
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribosoma View Post
After reading that, this very-unsafe-for-work clip was all I could think of...

Not only do we lose Bass for nothing, but involving them in the deal to get Marion allowed them to keep Gortat...

If anyone here still honestly has any faith in the FO, please, enlighten me as to why. It seems like every GM in the league can't wait to screw Cubes and ding-dong Donnie. Even if there were an under-the-table agreement between Otis and the mavs "brain trust(???)", those deals are illegal in daylight and impossible to enforce. Cubes and Donnie are arrogant amateurs running my favorite basketball team. Perhaps some people feel that Donnie isn't the worst GM in the NBA; you may be right...

But Otis Smith is a better GM than Donnie today and he isn't exactly a rocket scientist...

This sucks.
Involving them in the Marion deal had nothing to do with them keeping Gortat. Nothing in the slightest.

There's no doubt that Otis played a better hand of poker here, but the odds were stacked in his favor. He had the right to match any offer for Gortat, and he had the right to drag it out for a full week.

Bass decided to go elsewhere for playing time, and I'm not really sure how much Gortat actually played into that decision. Marion certainly had more to do with Bass' playing time drying up here.

Beyond that, while Otis certainly bluffed a big man away from Dallas, he's still left paying a horribly high price for a role player. I don't get the idea that he comes out smelling like roses here.

I think both teams lost yesterday.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2009, 12:47 PM   #1442
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

We lost Bass when he became an unrestricted free agent. Suppose Bass was restricted and Cubes decided not to match in an effort to send an olive branch to the Magic. If Otis matches Gortat, THEN we would have been screwed over. As it was, the Mavs never had any control over Gortat, nor did they ever have any control over Bass.

I don't see what we did wrong or what we could have done differently, besides offer Bass more money. But based on his role here and the role he wanted to play, it seemed that he would sign elsewhere no matter what.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:50 PM   #1443
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

As far as I'm concerned what happened was beyond Mark and Donnie's control. This has been a good of season so far and it's not over yet I have faith the FO will come through.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:00 PM   #1444
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

F Otis Smith, I absolutely hate Him and I hate the Orlando Magic for this sh*t, F all of them, when we play them I hope we absolutely kill these guys. This guy seriously matched? Even though we let them have bass, even though Gortat would only be a backup for them, even though now they will e buried in luxury tax, even though they could have used the money they spent on Bass and Gortat to resign Hedo. F otis Smith, I feel like he just wanted to F with Mavs fans by doing this.

Everytime we play the Magic I hope we blow them out, and I hope the Magic are trash next year. F the Magic

Last edited by LSMF; 07-14-2009 at 01:01 PM.
LSMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:02 PM   #1445
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavsfan4ever View Post
As far as I'm concerned what happened was beyond Mark and Donnie's control.
My thoughts exactly. The idea the Mavs got hosed looks to me like an idea propagated by Magic fans just to make them feel superior. But being dealt pocket aces doesn't make you the better poker player.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:07 PM   #1446
craggmac
Golden Member

craggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud of

Ben Wallace and Tim Thomas both were cut loose today? How about signing both of them and getting even older!
craggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:22 PM   #1447
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribosoma View Post
It seems like every GM in the league can't wait to screw Cubes and ding-dong Donnie.

This is dumb.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:33 PM   #1448
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Yeah we had no control of this situation. Our FO has actually had a nice off-season so far and it still isn't over. I think some of us are already forgetting that we got Shawn Marion for Stack.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:47 PM   #1449
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirklebron View Post
lol he is restrickted, if he could sign to whoever he would have been ours.
European teams don't play under the same collective bargaining agreement as the NBA, genius. See Josh Childress last year, who was also restricted.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:49 PM   #1450
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Sure, Smith had the right to match the offer and he did it. That's a fact. Nevertheless, I really, really hope that Gortat will Smith up after the 90 day-clause. As we all know, they can't trade him for 90 days and afterwards they can only trade him if he approves the trade. Hopefully it ends up like this: "I will not approve any deal. You WILL therefore get stuck with the luxury tax this year because you matched. Have a nice day."

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 07-14-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:50 PM   #1451
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstudi View Post
Sure, Smith had the right to match the offer and he did it. That's a fact. Nevertheless, I really, really hope that Gortat will Smith up after the 90 day-clause. As we all know, they can't trade him for 90 days and afterwards they can only trade him if he approves the trade. Hopefully it ends up like this: "I will not approve any deal. You WILL therefore get stuck with the luxury tax this year because you matched. Have a nice day."
That would be sweet and its actually a very possible scenario.

LSMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:52 PM   #1452
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstudi View Post
That would be cool. "Halt my career and I'll halt your future moves involving me!"

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:52 PM   #1453
Nowitzki4President

Nowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSMF View Post
That would be sweet and its actually a very possible scenario.
Depending on where he's moved to. If to Houston, then probably since he'll only get to start for 1 year.

How many years is Gortat contract? Maybe if we still want him in December, we can try to move expirings for him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowitzki4President View Post
Nowitzki4President is the greatest man to ever live!
Nowitzki4President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:01 PM   #1454
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Gortat cant be traded this year to us.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:05 PM   #1455
Nowitzki4President

Nowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Gortat cant be traded this year to us.
Why? Some sort of clause?

Quote:
Old 07-14-2009, 02:08 PM   #1456
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Why? Some sort of clause?
It's part of the rules surrounding restricted free agency.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:09 PM   #1457
esoteric562

esoteric562 is a name known to allesoteric562 is a name known to allesoteric562 is a name known to allesoteric562 is a name known to allesoteric562 is a name known to allesoteric562 is a name known to allesoteric562 is a name known to allesoteric562 is a name known to allesoteric562 is a name known to all

man talk about a low blow.... what bs..... lets hope cuban has a plan b
esoteric562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:09 PM   #1458
Nowitzki4President

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
It's part of the rules surrounding restricted free agency.
Damn. Alright, thanks for letting me know.

Quote:
Old 07-14-2009, 02:16 PM   #1459
RoddyB#3

RoddyB#3 is just really niceRoddyB#3 is just really niceRoddyB#3 is just really niceRoddyB#3 is just really niceRoddyB#3 is just really niceRoddyB#3 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoteric562 View Post
man talk about a low blow.... what bs..... lets hope cuban has a plan b
Plan B: Ryan Hollins!
RoddyB#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:16 PM   #1460
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
My thoughts exactly. The idea the Mavs got hosed looks to me like an idea propagated by Magic fans just to make them feel superior. But being dealt pocket aces doesn't make you the better poker player.
Thanks for the laugh, remembered me how Hellmuth slowplayed his pocket aces and got busted in the main event and complained after it

Well, the future wil show how it works out for them in matters of sucess and money.

There can be a nice trade in december (Battier etc), there can be a lot of unhappy players with PT issues (Bass, Gortat, Pietrus) etc.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:01 PM   #1461
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Like I said before, I'm not even 100% sure the Magic want to trade Gortat at all. They were crazy enough to match for him, they may be crazy enough to keep him.

That doyoubelieveinmagic guy was a moron but he did say one thing that's right, the Magic owner has about twice as much money as Cuban. He obviously gave Otis Smith the green light with the luxury tax as he can easily afford it and probably doesn't care.

At some point when the right deal comes along they'll have to trade Gortat, but I'm not convinced it's going to be December 15th.

An article came out July 2nd, before we offered Gortat the MLE quoting Otis Smith saying "we're matching anything on Gortat." and sure enough they did. They're legitimately high on the guy, as stupid as it may be when they have DHoward.

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 07-14-2009 at 04:05 PM.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:28 PM   #1462
RoddyB#3

RoddyB#3 is just really niceRoddyB#3 is just really niceRoddyB#3 is just really niceRoddyB#3 is just really niceRoddyB#3 is just really niceRoddyB#3 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs View Post
That doyoubelieveinmagic guy was a moron but he did say one thing that's right, the Magic owner has about twice as much money as Cuban. He obviously gave Otis Smith the green light with the luxury tax as he can easily afford it and probably doesn't care.
Somebody has more money than Cuban?
RoddyB#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:31 PM   #1463
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
Like I said before, I'm not even 100% sure the Magic want to trade Gortat at all. They were crazy enough to match for him, they may be crazy enough to keep him.

At some point when the right deal comes along they'll have to trade Gortat, but I'm not convinced it's going to be December 15th.

An article came out July 2nd, before we offered Gortat the MLE quoting Otis Smith saying "we're matching anything on Gortat." and sure enough they did. They're legitimately high on the guy, as stupid as it may be when they have DHoward.
If money isn't an issue then why in the world did they NOT bring back Hedo? If they're truly going balls out for a championship that would have put them over the top. As they stand now I don't think they'll even get to the Finals.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

Old 07-14-2009, 04:32 PM   #1464
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Rich DeVos is worth almost 4billion to Cuban's 2.3. So not quite twice as much, but when you have that money does it even matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien View Post
If money isn't an issue then why in the world did they NOT bring back Hedo? If they're truly going balls out for a championship that would have put them over the top. As they stand now I don't think they'll even get to the Finals.
Yeah I agree that makes no sense. Maybe Otis and Hedo had some personal issue, like Otis tried to bang his hot wife.

But seriously that was more than likely that was just a poor decision by a GM. Along with giving up Courtney Lee and others for Vince Carter IMO.

Hell, I have no idea what Orlando is thinking, does anybody?

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 07-14-2009 at 04:36 PM.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:35 PM   #1465
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Rich DeVos is worth almost 4billion to Cuban's 2.3. So not quite twice as much, but when you have that money does it even matter?
Not really... give me 1/1000 and I would be happy.

btw @ sarajevo: sorry for editing. if you're f***** up, it might happen that you let some word through...

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:38 PM   #1466
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Quote:

Yeah I agree that makes no sense. Maybe Otis and Hedo had some personal issue, like Otis tried to bang his hot wife.

But seriously that was more than likely that was just a poor decision by a GM. Along with giving up Courtney Lee and others for Vince Carter IMO.

Hell, I have no idea what Orlando is thinking, does anybody?
Trading for Carter would have made more sense if Orlando actually kept Hedo, but by letting him walk they actually lose ground imo. Carter is not the team player Hedo is and is nowhere as intelligent on the court.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:44 PM   #1467
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien View Post
Trading for Carter would have made more sense if Orlando actually kept Hedo, but by letting him walk they actually lose ground imo. Carter is not the team player Hedo is and is nowhere as intelligent on the court.
I agree, he flourishes in the 4rth on pick and roll, basically playing point offensively and he makes terrific decisions with ball in his hand. Not only this Courtney Lee is gone, and imo over time he will be like RIP Hamilton is. 18 ppg, dynamic in mid range game.
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:39 PM   #1468
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

"It was definitely about the opportunity to find out how good he can really be," Zucker said. "We had requested that Orlando not match the offer. We stated the fact that he sincerely wanted the chance to carve his own path, be his own man, so to speak, which is not going to be realistically possible in Orlando."

I wasn't aware that they actually requested Orlando not to match. Otis is such a prick.
Have they officially filed the paper work yet? I just want Gortat to go ahead and sign and put me out of my misery, then we can start looking elsewhere (not dalembert).

BEAT LA
badfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:40 PM   #1469
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Updated: July 14, 2009, 1:08 AM ET
Magic to retain center Gortat
Comment Email Print Share
ESPN.com news services

The Orlando Magic will keep Marcin Gortat by matching the five-year, $34-million offer sheet extended to him by the Dallas Mavericks, the Orlando Sentinel first reported Monday.

The Magic made the announcement Monday.

"Having quality big men is an absolute must in our league, and Marcin has worked very hard to fit into that category," Magic general manager Otis Smith said in a statement. "He provides tremendous depth to our frontcourt and we're happy to bring him back."

Gortat's agent, Guy Zucker, said the center "was definitely very disappointed today." He said Gortat was back in his native Poland, where he'd already been telling everyone he was headed to the Mavericks.

Gortat was hoping to play alongside Jason Kidd and Dirk Nowitzki and, most of all, compete with Erick Dampier for the starting job. Dampier is going into the final year of his contract.

In Orlando, Gortat will likely see spotty playing time behind Howard.

"It was definitely about the opportunity to find out how good he can really be," Zucker said. "We had requested that Orlando not match the offer. We stated the fact that he sincerely wanted the chance to carve his own path, be his own man, so to speak, which is not going to be realistically possible in Orlando."

Gortat averaged just 3.8 points and 4.5 rebounds per game last season and 3.3 points and 3.2 rebounds during the Magic's run to the NBA Finals, but his opportunities in Orlando were limited behind All-Star center Dwight Howard.

The 6-foot-11, 240-pound center made about $700,000 last season, his first full year in the NBA. He likely will remain in a backup center role or play sparingly alongside Howard at power forward.

But Gortat earned the big pay raise in large part because of some highlights in the Magic's playoff run.

Gortat filled in for Howard in the Game 6 clincher against Philadelphia in the opening round after Orlando's All-Star was suspended, adding a few powerful dunks that earned him the nickname the "Polish Hammer" from teammates. He also had a pair of blocks on Cleveland's LeBron James in the conference finals, and he saw his minutes increase in the Finals because of the size of the Los Angeles Lakers.

The decision is a bold and costly one for the Magic, who will plunge further into luxury-tax territory than many rivals anticipated after their recent trade for Vince Carter by first signing Brandon Bass away from Dallas to a four-year deal worth a reported $18 million and then matching on Gortat.

Retaining Gortat and adding Bass will likely take the Magic's payroll into the $80 million range for next season, which would force Orlando to cut a luxury-tax check of more than $10 million in July 2010 barring roster moves between now and June 30 of next year to lower that figure.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4324941
Otis Smith deserves to die a horrible horrible death and then burn in hell for all eternity.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 07-14-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:44 PM   #1470
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

On a another message board I'm a part of someone asked about the most punchable face in all of sports. I responded with this.

As far as I'm concerned this jerk has the most punchable face in all of sports.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:57 PM   #1471
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Otis Smith deserves to die a horrible horrible death and then burn in hell for all eternity.
I don't think he deserves anything this good...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:41 PM   #1472
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

I have a question for those more knowledgeable on the salary cap. If nothing has been signed yet can we rescind our offer? I was thinking if it was possible this would free Gortat up to stick the screws to Orlando by demanding more money.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:42 PM   #1473
MagicFTW

MagicFTW can only hope to improve

I think you guys are over-reacting a bit with all the hate towards Otis Smith. He's a GM so it's his job to build the best possible team he can, and the Magic are a better team with Gortat and Bass then without them.

And about Gortat requesting the Magic not match, it is in no way his right to do so and expect that request to be honored. It's not like teams have to carry through with every requested trade players want.

I know you all are mad, and I'd probably be too, and I'm expecting a bunch of hate as soon as I post this.
MagicFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:46 PM   #1474
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Come on now........don't you think your taking this a little to far now?...I hope your just joking around, I mean saying the guy need's to "die a horrible horrible death" and "burn in hell for all enternity" is taking this to a whole differenent level, I would love to see how your gonna spin this and turn this against me and make me look wrong I'm gonna love it.
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:58 PM   #1475
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicFTW View Post
I think you guys are over-reacting a bit with all the hate towards Otis Smith. He's a GM so it's his job to build the best possible team he can, and the Magic are a better team with Gortat and Bass then without them.

And about Gortat requesting the Magic not match, it is in no way his right to do so and expect that request to be honored. It's not like teams have to carry through with every requested trade players want.

I know you all are mad, and I'd probably be too, and I'm expecting a bunch of hate as soon as I post this.
I said it once I'll say it again Orlando fans lack class. There is no reason to come here and rub salt in the wound.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:28 PM   #1476
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Kiss my ass.

I guess your keeping Gortat because you know you will lose Dwight like you lost Shaq.

I'll tell you how good a GM Otis is, he's overpaying a 6'6 PF and an unproven C and letting go of your best player in Hedo. Great Job!!!
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:32 PM   #1477
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas86 View Post
...I hope youre not just joking around, I mean the guy needs to "die a horrible horrible death" and "burn in hell for all eternity"
Once again Thomas86 has crossed the line.
(How's that? )
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:32 PM   #1478
muzak

muzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

The reason I feel for Gortat and despise Otis a little, is his disrespect for Gortat as a human being. You want to hold a guy against his will? He doesn't want to play (better yet, not play) for Orlando.
muzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:00 PM   #1479
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

matching is one thing. Waiting a week while suggesting you won't match is another. Signing Gortat when Gortat wants to play somewhere else is one thing. Stringing him along (especially without an early refusal on the request) is another.

Smith is crappy not for what he did, but for how he treated people while doing it.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:05 PM   #1480
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

The Magic and Otis Smith have every right to do what they have done. But in so doing they have embraced the ugly side of basketball. Here's a guy who is young enough to reach his ceiling with more playing time... he prefers to be in Dallas, his agent wants him in Dallas.. his fans in Poland want him in Dallas and that dream will never be realized. It's just a lose-lose for everyone including the Magic because there's simply not enough pt for everyone. Maybe SVG is a magician and he can someone keep Bass and Gortat happy, but I kind of doubt it. I'm not bitter but more disappointed. Not just because I'm a Mavs fan but for all the principles involved in the situation. I frankly don't know how Otis Smith can sleep at night.....

Last edited by purplefrog; 07-14-2009 at 09:13 PM.
purplefrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic threads, epic fail, f otis, hammered, he's polish, no gortat no chance, offseason trolls!, orlandomatchesoffer, otis loves polish sausage, otis you son of a..., that's racist!, the return of windmill, trade black, we win super balls now?