Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-26-2009, 09:51 PM   #41
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Would you rather 12 pts and a win, or 43 and a loss?
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2009, 09:59 PM   #42
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad View Post
Would you rather 12 pts and a win, or 43 and a loss?
Lets ask the spurs fan base.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:14 PM   #43
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokey41 View Post
The only downside of this series has been watching Parker light us up. If we could make him live in fear of entering the paint the Spurs wouldn't break 70 in any of their games.

I enjoy watching the rest of the team carry the offensive load, it makes me feel better about our roster. I just don't think we should be relying on that as a strategy, they aren't consistent enough to depend upon and I'm highly skeptical it will carry on throughout the playoffs. But anyone who hates this strategy shouldn't be blaming Dirk at all, if anyone it should be Carlisle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
I'm all for the notion that Dirk can take a back seat and the team benefits...but at the same time I'm not sure that Dirk can't do more.
The upside to Parker going off is they're doing a pretty good job on everyone else or those guys are just ice cold. That was huge in this last game. You can live with Parker going crazy in the first half and maybe going forward but you had to make sure Finley and Mason Jr. didn't catch fire. If they did, we would've had a hard time winning.

I don't remember the quote exactly but Kidd was brief in saying if they're going to keep doing what they're doing to Dirk and Dirk isn't open, then they'll find the open man. That would seem like they're running with the fact that they need to step up more because they're trying to take Dirk out. They weren't going to try to force the issue with Dirk and they'll get it to him when they can.

Knock on wood, I don't think Denver and/or NO can present the same kind of issues that can present the same kind of problems. They have decent defenders but I don't think they'll be as pestering.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:03 PM   #44
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

For the most part, I like what Dirk's doing. I do think he be a bit more decisive, though. His open looks are going to be limited, so he's got to take the ones he's got, and a couple times he's actually pump faked out of an open look into a much more contested look.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:22 AM   #45
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.2f8ffe2.html

More conflicting reports on Dirk's suckage this series. I just don't know who to believe anymore...
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:08 AM   #46
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously, Dirk could have been better. But, he did play a good game. Perhaps he was just ok on the offensive end, but he did a great job of grabbing boards and made a couple of really nice defensive plays. The main thing is that he has wholeheartedly bought into Carlisle's game plan. He'll be more than willing to take 20 shots when it's called for. But when the team is winning, him buying into this game plan shows that he's about the team and not just about his stats.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:55 AM   #47
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a key quote:

Quote:
"They're leaving [people open] on the weak side," Nowitzki said, marveling at the depth of San Antonio's commitment to swarm him. "They're leaving [people open] under the basket. I've never seen a defense like this. So I've got to adjust."
Link

Again, no one, not even Murph, is saying Dirk can't be more aggressive. He needs to put his head down and drive a few more times. But by and large, he's doing exactly what he's supposed to do against a defense like this. They are absolutely selling out to stop him, to an extent you rarely see, and other people are stepping up.

That's how it's supposed to happen.

And btw, give Carlisle credit for instilling enough confidence in the role players throughout the season, and coming up with game plans to best utilize those players against a defense focused on stopping Dirk. He's done it brilliantly so far, and even the staunchest Avery supporter would have to admit he was never able to do that.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 04-27-2009 at 09:56 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:08 AM   #48
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

After he easily drove it in and made that dagger layup late in the fourth quarter of game 4, it showed me that he could easily put up 20 shots a game if he wanted to... he is just taking what the defense is giving him and he is winning because of that. When the role players fail to step up, then you'll see the big German do his thing.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:20 PM   #49
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk could make crisper and quicker passes out of the total collapse on him but we're winning so I'm good with his stats.

He is playing better defense lately and rebounding really well.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:39 PM   #50
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Here's a key quote:

Link

Again, no one, not even Murph, is saying Dirk can't be more aggressive. He needs to put his head down and drive a few more times. But by and large, he's doing exactly what he's supposed to do against a defense like this. They are absolutely selling out to stop him, to an extent you rarely see, and other people are stepping up.

That's how it's supposed to happen.

And btw, give Carlisle credit for instilling enough confidence in the role players throughout the season, and coming up with game plans to best utilize those players against a defense focused on stopping Dirk. He's done it brilliantly so far, and even the staunchest Avery supporter would have to admit he was never able to do that.
I couldn't agree more.

Imo, as Mavs fans we should just sit back and enjoy what's happening and not be agitated that these wins are coming without Dirk scoring his 25+ per game. My motto: If Dirk's happy then I'm happy.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:01 PM   #51
esoteric562

esoteric562 is a name known to allesoteric562 is a name known to allesoteric562 is a name known to allesoteric562 is a name known to allesoteric562 is a name known to allesoteric562 is a name known to allesoteric562 is a name known to allesoteric562 is a name known to allesoteric562 is a name known to all

i could care less if dirk scores under 10 points.... as long as we get the W i'm all for it
esoteric562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:10 AM   #52
GermanBlitzkrieg

GermanBlitzkrieg has a spectacular aura aboutGermanBlitzkrieg has a spectacular aura aboutGermanBlitzkrieg has a spectacular aura about

ONCE AND FOR ALL, THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!! IT'S "I COULDN'T CARE LESS", not "I COULD CARE LESS"!!! Think people! Do you really mean that you care? BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE SAYING!!! AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!

Oh, never mind. I'm feeling much better now....

Nurse, nurse, where's my blue pill! The blue pill. You know?
Old 04-28-2009, 10:14 AM   #53
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Not trying to take anything away from your thread, Murph. I definitely agree with the "take what the defense gives you" gameplan in using Dirk this series, but I do think that Carlisle can get him a few more looks on the 3-point line.

I believe it is one thing we can use as an advantage with the big German. So far this series Dirk has taken only 7 3-point shot attempts and missed all of them (mainly because I don't think it's in the gameplan for him to be taking any of those shots right now.

It's not like he is incapable of taking those shots. At times it makes me sad that we have drifted from his pure shooting talents, and aggressively tried to turn him into a "true PF"--especially in terms of where he's playing on the offensive side of the court.

IMO, occasionally putting Dirk on the perimeter can:
- Spread the floor, giving our players a bit more room to work when the Spurs give Dirk too much attention. It may just be 1 extra step that Spurs defenders have to take to rotate, but just like football, basketball is also a game of inches. One step in the NBA is goes far.
- ^ In relation, make it harder on the double team to come help. It's ballsy to come trap on the perimeter...especially when it's a 7-footer.
- This might sound crazy, but Dirk is one of the few big men (if not the only) that I would still feel comfortable with driving from the 3-point line...(or jump-faking, taking a step in, and then popping a midrange).
- Prevent idiots like Boner and Bowen from "bodying up," or being overtly physical with Dirk. My thought on this is that more touch fouls/hand checks are called on the perimeter as opposed to the elbows or around the block. Seriously, I would like to see Boner try to do his retarded "fronting" of Dirk on the 3-point line--that'd just be silly...
- Bring back the Mavs Money Ball!

Once again, I'm not saying the current gameplan is ineffective at all. I just thought that it would be interesting to see how occasionally mixing in the above could benefit Dirk's game. Feel free to disagree with what I've said. I'd actually like to see what anybody else thinks about periodically bringing the 3-ball back to Dirk...or if you even think it would be effective.

I mean, come on...this is the most versatile 7-footer the game of basketball has ever seen...

Go Mavs!

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:25 AM   #54
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

To tell you the truth, I don't consider Dirk a three point threat anymore. Avery changed his game.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
Old 04-28-2009, 11:32 AM   #55
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaverick View Post
To tell you the truth, I don't consider Dirk a three point threat anymore. Avery changed his game.
Interesting, but is that to say he can't shoot it at all anymore?

I would say that a 3-point shot is like riding a bike...you can't really just lose it...

Once a shooter, always a shooter?

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
Old 04-28-2009, 11:35 AM   #56
TheMaverick
Golden Member

I don't think he shoots it very well anymore. It's not a rhythm shot for him.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
Old 04-28-2009, 11:40 AM   #57
ty
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaverick View Post
I don't think he shoots it very well anymore. It's not a rhythm shot for him.
I can see your point. My thought though, as I briefly addressed in my first post, is that it's not in the gameplan for him anymore. The fact that he isn't given many opportunities to shoot them is directly correlated with his percentages...and part of the reason why it isn't a "rhythm" shot. I don't think I would say that he can't shoot them anymore though. He still has a very pure shot/form. There is no reason he shouldn't be able to make them.

And in regard to your previous post...F Avery. =/

Last edited by ty; 04-28-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:46 AM   #58
TheMaverick
Golden Member

I agree, I miss those days where he was the dynamic big man that was truly unguardable. Now, he has a few go-to moves that are pretty unstoppable (but kind of boring). However, the benefit of him playing closer to the rim is the ability to draw fouls and put more pressure on the opposing big men. I think I am fine with the threes that he gets trailing the break, he used to utilize the pump fake at the 3 point line more too.. he doesn't do that as much now.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
Old 04-29-2009, 12:53 PM   #59
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone heard Carlisle on TheTicket today..he had glowing praise for the way Dirk played in this series.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
homosexualest tags ever, i am richer than you, i remember my first beer, i'm an alchoholic too, i'm the smartest mavs fan, murph=drunkhungrichgenius, well lets compare them, worthless tags w/o pics