Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-10-2006, 10:59 AM   #81
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

How are they going to close down the lane? In my opinion, there's no reason why the Mavs shouldn't attack the Spurs in the exact same manner until the Spurs show that they can counter it. How can they? They aren't athletic enough to counter the Mavs lineup with Harris in the game. Even without him in the game, they aren't athletic enough to counter the Mavs with Dirk and three other scorers in the game.

The key is to attack the Spurs. I'm 100% perfectly fine with the Mavs doing what they did last night until the Spurs prove that they can slow that down. I came into the series thinking that the Mavs should attack in such a manner...

Last edited by Murphy3; 05-10-2006 at 11:02 AM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2006, 11:12 AM   #82
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
I came into the series thinking that the Mavs should attack in such a manner...
who didn't think the Mavs should attack?

I think the Spurs will have to lessen their devotion on Dirk to focus more on clogging the lane a bit more...

as far as the Spurs being able to use matchups to slow the mavs...I agree with many who don't think they can. If the Mavs stay the course and keep pushing the ball and attacking the rim, the Spurs will continue to show weaknesses...but the Spurs can always rotate off the man at the arc to further clog the lane. This will leave the Mavs open for threes...but not as many layups...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 05-10-2006 at 11:12 AM.
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:15 AM   #83
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice

This thread and complaints about Dirk taking only 11 shots are insane!

What do you you prefer: Dirk taking a shot when being double/triple teamed, or layups by our guards when the Spur defense is more worried about taking Dirk outta the game?

It's looks like some fans are more worried about Dirk getting his than the team winning! Relax guys, watch some Pistons games and hope we play a team game, and win.
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:18 AM   #84
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

the whole point is this:

DIRK HAS FIGURED IT OUT!!!!!

He knows what he has to do and when to do it.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:55 AM   #85
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

If the Spurs change their tactics on Dirk and decide to clog the lane more, so be it. It's an easy adjustment for the Mavs.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:05 PM   #86
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If the Spurs change their tactics on Dirk and decide to clog the lane more, so be it. It's an easy adjustment for the Mavs.
pick your poison. totally agree.

you flippin nun!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:17 PM   #87
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Score one for efficiency

By MERCEDES MAYER
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

SAN ANTONIO - Maybe Dirk Nowitzki is proving he doesn't have to score 30 to 35 points a game for the Mavericks to beat the Spurs.

After scoring 20 points in Game 1 on 8-of-20 shooting, Nowitzki acknowledged that he missed some shots that he usually makes.

Nowitzki was much more efficient in Game 2, scoring 21 points while going 7-of-11 from the field as the Mavs beat the Spurs 113-91 at AT&T Center to even the best-of-seven series at 1-1.

But it wasn't his scoring that helped the Mavs the most as Nowitzki showed once again that he can help the team in other ways.

"I've got to play a good all-around game," Nowitzki said. "I've got to make things happen for myself, and when I score I want to be efficient."

Sure, the Mavs' All-Star lowered his playoff average once again after scoring 31.3 points per game against the Memphis Grizzlies in the first round. But Nowitzki added nine rebounds, three steals and an assist, and he's averaging 11.5 rebounds in the series.

To his teammates, Nowitzki's impact isn't always shown in the box score.

"Dirk was big," Mavs guard Jason Terry said. "He set picks that freed up guys. He rebounded. He did all he could do for us."

Being double-teamed a good part of the night, Nowitzki still started 4-of-6 from the field and hit all five of his free throws in the first half.

But as the Spurs' defense focused more and more on Nowitzki, he started focusing more on his teammates.

"It's not easy to get your shot when you have two guys bear-hugging [you] out there all night," Terry said. "He didn't get many looks, but he was strong."

Nowitzki said after Game 1 that everyone, including himself, needed to be more involved. The Mavs needed to share the ball and be more aggressive.

"On the pick-and-roll, they're hugging me up so much that it was good our point guards were getting into the lane," Nowitzki said. "That's the stuff we have to do in this series."

To Mavs owner Mark Cuban, Nowitzki showed why he was an MVP candidate this season.

"Just his being out there opened up the lanes for everyone else," Cuban said. "Dirk did his job.

"Hey, he was 7-for-11 for 21 points -- it's not like he didn't contribute."
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:08 PM   #88
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriD
"It's not easy to get your shot when you have two guys bear-hugging [you] out there all night," Terry said. "He didn't get many looks, but he was strong."
Ok, is this officially going to catch on?
Old 05-13-2006, 10:32 PM   #89
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

The Game 3 performance was one of the gutsiest and toughest I've seen in a while... fouling out Duncan, getting to the line umpteen times, and best of all that last offensive board off the bad ankle to win the game...
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:41 PM   #90
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk was so efficient today......... how many times do you see a guy score 27 points on 9 shots? 3pps is ridiculous.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:33 AM   #91
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk had an assits out of a triple team to hit Stack under the basket with about 30 seconds left that was a thing of beauty. He had a huge offensive rebound down there at the 7 second mark that was crucial as well. It put him on the line for the winnng free throws. Dirk was also the one running at Bowen to force him into a key turnover. All this after he rolled his ankle. He also blew by Parker and took it to Duncan in the chest to foul him out. He was big time.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:39 AM   #92
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man
Dirk had an assits out of a triple team to hit Stack under the basket with about 30 seconds left that was a thing of beauty. He had a huge offensive rebound down there at the 7 second mark that was crucial as well. It put him on the line for the winnng free throws. Dirk was also the one running at Bowen to force him into a key turnover. All this after he rolled his ankle. He also blew by Parker and took it to Duncan in the chest to foul him out. He was big time.
He was definitely big-time. I don't recall the Bowen turnover, but I will look for it. Still and all, Dirk was strong down the stretch. Why not go to him more?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 12:44 AM   #93
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

I said in another thread, but I'll say it in this one too. Dirk has GOT to shoot a lot more than he did tonight. It wasn't even like they were doubling him every time, and it seemed like most of the time Bowen wasn't guarding him either. I swear, there were countless possessions where he was isolated against Horry, Oberto, Fin, even Parker and NVE and STILL didn't shoot. No jab steps, no shot fakes, nadda. He'd either pass right away, or dribble right into the teeth of the defense. It's great that he got to the foul line so much, but 3 made shots on the night just ain't good enough. Not when you have Duncan putting up 30+.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 01:19 AM   #94
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
He was definitely big-time. I don't recall the Bowen turnover, but I will look for it. Still and all, Dirk was strong down the stretch. Why not go to him more?
Actually it was at 2:05. Doubled teamed, Duncan kicks it out to Ginobli, who drives the lane, blowing by Howard. Dirk comes up from the baseline to stop the penetration, so Manu kicks out to an open Bowen at the 3 point line. At least he looks open, until Dirk lunges over and tries to steal the pass. That disrupts Bowen who misses the pass and turns the ball over.

I agree Dirk needs to shoot more. But I am hugely impressed with his leadership, his ways of winning without dominating the ball, his total devotion on the defensive end. Even 4 offensive rebounds. He's decreased his scoring, but elevated his game.

And to think this thread was stared by someone who said Dirk lacked the Cajones to win at this level, or some such crap.

Last edited by G-Man; 05-14-2006 at 01:21 AM.
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 01:35 AM   #95
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man
Actually it was at 2:05. Doubled teamed, Duncan kicks it out to Ginobli, who drives the lane, blowing by Howard. Dirk comes up from the baseline to stop the penetration, so Manu kicks out to an open Bowen at the 3 point line. At least he looks open, until Dirk lunges over and tries to steal the pass. That disrupts Bowen who misses the pass and turns the ball over.

I agree Dirk needs to shoot more. But I am hugely impressed with his leadership, his ways of winning without dominating the ball, his total devotion on the defensive end. Even 4 offensive rebounds. He's decreased his scoring, but elevated his game.

And to think this thread was stared by someone who said Dirk lacked the Cajones to win at this level, or some such crap.
Okay, you're right, I've got that one. I wouldn't necessarily say Manu blew by Howard, because Howard looked to be in position to swat his shit into the third row, but okay. Dirk stopped the penetration, and Dirk put a hand on the ball to force it out of Bowen's (potentially three-point-shooting) hands. It was a terrific defensive play by the big German.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 02:12 AM   #96
Zack

Zack is on a distinguished road

You know what scares me about Dirk is that Marion is watching this film and can't wait to get in his face next round..

Dirk needs to quit being an Audi Wagon and turn into a mudda fukin BMW M5!!!

Old 05-14-2006, 06:57 AM   #97
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk was 2000% man.

Talk about German engineering..... Dirk Nowitzki was built to play playoff basketball.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 07:00 AM   #98
Murphy3
Guru

Well, Dirk took the equivalent of about 21 shots. That's about right.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:45 PM   #99
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Mentally... there's no player tougher than Dirk!
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 03:40 PM   #100
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I was incredibly proud of Dirk last night. Not for the free throws or anything else that happened while he was in the game.

I was proud of Dirk for understanding the needs of the team and allowing himself to be pulled out of the game with 2 seconds left for defensive purposes. It sounds like a little thing but how many other superstars would allow themselves to be pulled regardless of the situation?

Gutsy of Avery to ask and amazing that Dirk went for it. Those two are definitely on the same page.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 04:27 PM   #101
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack
You know what scares me about Dirk is that Marion is watching this film and can't wait to get in his face next round..
Please... It's the SPURS' defense that gives Dirk problems occasionally, not Bowen's. If we meet Phoenix in the conference finals, they will be HELPLESS against the likes of Dirk.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 05-14-2006 at 04:28 PM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:12 AM   #102
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

spiral is right. People dont understand that individual smaller defenders dont give dirk problems. Smaller defenders with great shotblockers who are almost solely concerned with dirk give dirk problems. Phoenix doesnt have a shot blocker.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:08 AM   #103
Murphy3
Guru

Dirk has done a pretty damn good job against Marion the past year or so.

Five 0, you drilled it.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:24 PM   #104
miles berg

miles berg is on a distinguished road

We must be spoiled when you can call your franchise player, a guy averaging 28 ppg and 10 rpg on 49% shooting throughout the playoffs while leading his team to a 6-1 record, a disappointment.

What else could you possibly want out of the guy?
Old 05-15-2006, 03:11 PM   #105
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles berg
We must be spoiled when you can call your franchise player, a guy averaging 28 ppg and 10 rpg on 49% shooting throughout the playoffs while leading his team to a 6-1 record, a disappointment.

What else could you possibly want out of the guy?
And putting up those numbers in 7 games against the two best defenses in the league during the regular season, no less.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:24 PM   #106
Murphy3
Guru

...while being extremely efficient almost the entire time.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:26 PM   #107
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, Dirk took the equivalent of about 21 shots. That's about right.
Exactly. PPS is useless if it isnt corrected for number of ended posessions
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:27 PM   #108
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

...and looking extremely good with his long hair...

Nah, didn't match...sorry

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:44 PM   #109
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

How do you post a picture?

Because Dirk says to get this weak thread out of here!!

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com...all_dna102.jpg

Old 05-15-2006, 03:58 PM   #110
Caliente
Diamond Member

Caliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to all

Click on the yellow postcard of a mountain and then post the link......

Old 05-15-2006, 04:01 PM   #111
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk has still been the best player in the playoffs.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:05 PM   #112
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

I have no postcard.

Old 05-15-2006, 04:17 PM   #113
Caliente
Diamond Member

Caliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to all

You could post it to an image hosting site like this one........

http://www.imageshack.us

Tags
dirk