Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-25-2009, 07:06 AM   #41
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

I know, I know. I should give it up. It just pisses me off that we have a player that might be able to help that hasn't even left the bench...hasn't even been tried out...
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2009, 07:17 AM   #42
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on Green to win games is admitting that you're mailing it in for the season...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:30 AM   #43
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

A) I don't consider it depending on Green to win games. I considering relying on a player who can score to help pick up the slack with our main scorer in a slump and our second scorer injured.

B) Mailing it in for the season...unless we're a different team when Jet returns, different than before he got injured, then I don't see us doing anything in the playoffs. I'm not giving up on the Mavs yet, but it seems the Mavs have given up on me with their recent style of place.

C) Would it be awful to try this kid out for a single game? Maybe two? We have a series of cupcake teams coming up. If we're able to get a 10-15 point lead by halftime or something, stick him in as the first sub in the 3rd. Just to see what he can do. That's all this is: we've tried Barea to pick up the slack (didn't work), we've tried Singleton (picked up some of it), we've tried George and Carroll (ugh). So, give Green a shot too.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:43 AM   #44
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
A) I don't consider it depending on Green to win games. I considering relying on a player who can score to help pick up the slack with our main scorer in a slump and our second scorer injured.

B) Mailing it in for the season...unless we're a different team when Jet returns, different than before he got injured, then I don't see us doing anything in the playoffs. I'm not giving up on the Mavs yet, but it seems the Mavs have given up on me with their recent style of place.

C) Would it be awful to try this kid out for a single game? Maybe two? We have a series of cupcake teams coming up. If we're able to get a 10-15 point lead by halftime or something, stick him in as the first sub in the 3rd. Just to see what he can do. That's all this is: we've tried Barea to pick up the slack (didn't work), we've tried Singleton (picked up some of it), we've tried George and Carroll (ugh). So, give Green a shot too.
A) Have you seen his defense? He'd have to score 20+ PPG to justify putting him on the court...

B) I'm not giving up on the Mavs yet and I don't think they've given up on themselves either - that's why they're not playing Green...

C) I'm sure Carlisle has his reasons for not playing Green - we don't see what goes on in practices... And yeah, if we tried Green for a game and lost because of him and that one loss was the difference between 8th and 9th seed at the end of the season, it would be pretty awful...

Old 02-25-2009, 08:00 AM   #45
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
A) Have you seen his defense? He'd have to score 20+ PPG to justify putting him on the court...

B) I'm not giving up on the Mavs yet and I don't think they've given up on themselves either - that's why they're not playing Green...

C) I'm sure Carlisle has his reasons for not playing Green - we don't see what goes on in practices... And yeah, if we tried Green for a game and lost because of him and that one loss was the difference between 8th and 9th seed at the end of the season, it would be pretty awful...
A) I believe his defense is underrated. Wait, wait, wait. Don't immediately reply about how stupid I am and how Green can't play defense. I admit, he doesn't play that great of defense. No excuses. But you can hide bad defense. How do you think Jet is so successful? With Kidd starting as point guard, and another good defender in Wright starting at SG, I think you should always be able to match Green up with a non-scoring SG or SF. And if you can't, then you bench him for a few minutes until the other team subs someone that Green can guard. This way, its possible that Green only gets 10-15 minutes. That's okay by me.

And who's to say all these training sessions with Carlisle haven't improved his defense. Last time he got in for the final 3 minutes of a blowout, I remember him having both a block and a deflected pass.

B) The Mavs might as well give up if they don't have anybody that can score. If we aren't going to be playing Green, then we better hope Jet comes back really, really fast.

C) Didn't Green already win us a game? Not a buzzer beater, but he came into one game earlier in the season. It was the 4th quarter, Mavericks were allowing hte other team to make a run, nobody could score, all the energy sucked right out of them. Green comes in, goes 3/3 or something, knocks down a three and a jumper and dunks, and the Mavs go on to win it.

I remember everybody talking about how Green would be great as an energy guy after that game, who comes in when we look flat, and stuff like that.

Besides: If Carroll hasn't lost us a game, I doubt Green could. Even Barea hasn't lost us a game, however, he has won one. And he kept us in the Houston game a few days ago.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:14 AM   #46
Underdog

Quote:
A) I believe his defense is underrated. Wait, wait, wait. Don't immediately reply about how stupid I am and how Green can't play defense. I admit, he doesn't play that great of defense. No excuses. But you can hide bad defense. How do you think Jet is so successful? With Kidd starting as point guard, and another good defender in Wright starting at SG, I think you should always be able to match Green up with a non-scoring SG or SF. And if you can't, then you bench him for a few minutes until the other team subs someone that Green can guard. This way, its possible that Green only gets 10-15 minutes. That's okay by me.

And who's to say all these training sessions with Carlisle haven't improved his defense. Last time he got in for the final 3 minutes of a blowout, I remember him having both a block and a deflected pass.

B) The Mavs might as well give up if they don't have anybody that can score. If we aren't going to be playing Green, then we better hope Jet comes back really, really fast.

C) Didn't Green already win us a game? Not a buzzer beater, but he came into one game earlier in the season. It was the 4th quarter, Mavericks were allowing hte other team to make a run, nobody could score, all the energy sucked right out of them. Green comes in, goes 3/3 or something, knocks down a three and a jumper and dunks, and the Mavs go on to win it.

I remember everybody talking about how Green would be great as an energy guy after that game, who comes in when we look flat, and stuff like that.

Besides: If Carroll hasn't lost us a game, I doubt Green could. Even Barea hasn't lost us a game, however, he has won one. And he kept us in the Houston game a few days ago.
A) JET can score 20+ PPG to make up for his defensive shortcomings - I don't think Green could do that given the same minutes (maybe for a game, but not averaged...)

B) Dirk shooting 5-15 last night has a lot to do with our offensive slump too (although you're right - we shot 34% from the field and 16% 3-pointers as a TEAM last night!)

C) You have a point about Green being instant energy, but often times he's sloppy... He has great games in him, but you can never predict when it's going to happen - the fact is that he hasn't done a whole lot with the limited time he's gotten... I know players need to get into a rhythm, but he always seems completely out of step when he hits the floor - sure, we need instant energy, but sloppy energy doesn't yield positive results...

Last edited by Underdog; 02-25-2009 at 08:16 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:23 AM   #47
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
A) JET can score 20+ PPG to make up for his defensive shortcomings - I don't think Green could do that given the same minutes (maybe for a game, but not averaged...)

B) Dirk shooting 5-15 last night has a lot to do with our offensive slump too (although you're right - we shot 34% from the field and 16% 3-pointers as a TEAM last night!)

C) You have a point about Green being instant energy, but often times he's sloppy... He has great games in him, but you can never predict when it's going to happen - the fact is that he hasn't done a whole lot with the limited time he's gotten... I know players need to get into a rhythm, but he always seems completely out of step when he hits the floor - sure, we need instant energy, but sloppy energy doesn't yield positive results...
A) All we need Green to do is help make up for those points Jet would usually score. Not score all 20. Singleton has been helping, but he's not doing 20 alone. As has Wright. Perhaps Wright, Singleton and Green combined can score their average and Jet's? Green is just a piece to help "replace" Jet, not an actual replacement.

B) Yup, that's exactly why I'm saying we're having trouble scoring. Maybe not against cupcakes, but against good defenses, we're screwed if Dirk is off.

C) Does it hurt to give Green a shot for a couple games down the stretch? An audition? Just give him a chance to prove he can help? And if he can't, he's back to the DNP - Coach's Decision?
Old 02-25-2009, 08:30 AM   #48
Underdog

Quote:
A) All we need Green to do is help make up for those points Jet would usually score. Not score all 20. Singleton has been helping, but he's not doing 20 alone. As has Wright. Perhaps Wright, Singleton and Green combined can score their average and Jet's? Green is just a piece to help "replace" Jet, not an actual replacement.

B) Yup, that's exactly why I'm saying we're having trouble scoring. Maybe not against cupcakes, but against good defenses, we're screwed if Dirk is off.

C) Does it hurt to give Green a shot for a couple games down the stretch? An audition? Just give him a chance to prove he can help? And if he can't, he's back to the DNP - Coach's Decision?
A) Like I said - Green is a rhythm guy... Some nights he needs 10 minutes just to get into a groove (that's why he hasn't done much in limited stretches...)

B) We definitely agree here (because we're not blind...)

C) Only Carlisle knows why Green doesn't get minutes and obviously the reason persists...

EDIT: watch Carlisle give Green heavy minutes tonight and he goes off for 30 points!

Last edited by Underdog; 02-25-2009 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:24 PM   #49
tcat075
Diamond Member

Your reply to C sums it all up.

edit: good edit, by the way.

Last edited by tcat075; 02-25-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:53 PM   #50
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

GREEN > Carroll +DGeorge!

He is a better option than anyone else behind Dingleton!

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:50 PM   #51
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
GREEN > Carroll +DGeorge!

He is a better option than anyone else behind Dingleton!
Bass is pretty good too, don't forget. But the rest of our bench sucks with Jet out.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:56 PM   #52
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Bass is pretty good too, don't forget. But the rest of our bench sucks with Jet out.
Yeah, but I'm talking about swingmen.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:59 AM   #53
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Green played three minutes today against the Milwaukee Sucks

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:28 AM   #54
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

A. Gerald
B. Green
C. Sucks

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:27 AM   #55
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Yeah, but I'm talking about swingmen.
my bad.

Tags
devin harris repeat, give green pt!, green = mental midget, green gives a shocker, green is clean!, greendunks>mentalmidget