Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-17-2020, 12:01 AM   #321
GQ2003

GQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Yup.

1) No moves unless it clearly upgrades us.

2) JJ needs more minutes, preferably with the starting unit.

As for lineups,
I'd try starting JJ at some point in place of DFS because he is a little better and more versatile defender and definitely a better passer. When KP comes back, I like: Luka, JRich, THJ, JJ, KP. That's 2 versatile defenders going against other teams first unit along with a rim protector and good ball movement and passing. The vocal communication on the defensive end is underrated and I think it's what is going to make our whole team better, I think it's infectious.
This is exactly what I have been saying since we acquired Johnson!! Depending on who we're playing I think the starting lineup once healthy should be Luka/THJ/J-Rich/KP and either Johnson or WCS. Let Brunson/Burke/DFS/Maxi/Powell run the other second units off the floor with their chemistry and continuity.
GQ2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2020, 02:19 AM   #322
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
It doesn't really show that he's loyal....it just shows he wanted the Supermax and now if he wants to play for another team he will have a Supermax and can ask for a trade lol.
Yep. I'm not a fan of all the super teams, so kudos to him for not joining that bandwagon, but does it really take a lot of courage to sign the largest contract in NBA history?
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 05:11 AM   #323
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Maybe not 12 years, but I think they easily could have dominated the NBA for 8 years.

Luka and Giannis I think would have NO problem playing together for years and years. Zero. None. They are not remotely comparable to Harden and Westbrook. We knew that one was doomed before it even happened. Giannis isn't a guard. I don't get the impression that he wants to have this insanely high usage. Or even that he wants to be the #1 scoring option. I think he's like Garnett. He CAN do those things when he has to- and he does so because that's the only way his team wins, but he would rather focus on defense and rebounding and let someone else worry about carrying the offense. I've never heard him say this, this is just the impression I get.

I also think Luka would just as soon have someone else take some of the offensive load off of his shoulders. I don't think he wants to be Harden 2.0 and initiate every single possession. He strikes me as way more of a team guy than Harden ever was.

I think Luka and Giannis could have dominated the NBA for as long as they were both healthy and until Giannis started to decline. You're right that KP probably would've been gone at some point. But I'd trade 5 KP's for Giannis.
Giannis is a guard and he wants to be a high usage player. He started training to be this before he came to the nba. He was compared to Magic before the draft.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 07:00 AM   #324
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
Giannis is a guard and he wants to be a high usage player. He started training to be this before he came to the nba. He was compared to Magic before the draft.
Someone should notify the NBA then so they don't keep putting him in the all-nba teams as a forward.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:10 AM   #325
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yup.

1) No moves unless it clearly upgrades us.

2) JJ needs more minutes, preferably with the starting unit.

As for lineups,
I'd try starting JJ at some point in place of DFS because he is a little better and more versatile defender and definitely a better passer. When KP comes back, I like: Luka, JRich, THJ, JJ, KP. That's 2 versatile defenders going against other teams first unit along with a rim protector and good ball movement and passing. The vocal communication on the defensive end is underrated and I think it's what is going to make our whole team better, I think it's infectious.
I like this ...
Old 12-17-2020, 12:35 PM   #326
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, SMC is right because that's almost assuredly why they went after Crowder. Crowder just started at the 4 for Phx and would here as well pushing either DFS or THJ to the bench.

So JJ makes sense as a starter. But I'm glad the Mavs actually have their eyes on the right sort of target even if I'm not a big fan of the failed Crowder pursuit. KP is the center and the 4 is what needs the upgrade down the road if possible.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 12-17-2020 at 12:37 PM.
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 01:10 PM   #327
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

I've read a few trade scenarios and almost all of them involve THJ.

One of the more interesting one's was THJ and James Johnson for Blake Griffin.

That's a huge risk because of Blake's health but if by some miracle he stays healthy doing this shortened season he wouldn't be a bad fit with Luka, KP and Richardson in the starting lineup.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 03:18 PM   #328
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Blake Griffin is too slow to defend at the 4 and could never really play D to begin with. You'd just have the same issue starting him next to KP as you do with Powell except even achilles Powell is more mobile.

Once again, look at who they went after in the offseason to guide your light.

Old 12-17-2020, 03:22 PM   #329
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

We would lose a great shooter and hard worker in THJ for Blake. I think this is a move that doesn't make us better overall.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 03:50 PM   #330
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure why we'd want to trade a guy who has shown
1) Veteran leadership
2) strong work ethic
3) Ability to play team defense at a high level (even if his individual defense isn't amazing)
4) ability to shoot 40% from three
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 04:03 PM   #331
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
We would lose a great shooter and hard worker in THJ for Blake. I think this is a move that doesn't make us better overall.
I doubt we trade Tim after we just got rid of Curry. Be interesting to see if they extend both him AND Richardson in the offseason.

Old 12-17-2020, 04:21 PM   #332
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I doubt we trade Tim after we just got rid of Curry. Be interesting to see if they extend both him AND Richardson in the offseason.
I think if they both play up to their capabilities, we let THJ walk after this season and re-up on JRich. I don't think we trade THJ this year.

For next year, i'm not interested in paying THJ 18-20 million or whatever he might get when we can continue to groom J Green to hopefully play a bigger role. If THJ wants to take a hometown discount i'd consider it just to have continuity especially if we're not going to get some other big name FA (next year's class looks underwhelming).

Last edited by Scoobay; 12-17-2020 at 04:21 PM.
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 04:46 PM   #333
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobay View Post
I think if they both play up to their capabilities, we let THJ walk after this season and re-up on JRich. I don't think we trade THJ this year.

For next year, i'm not interested in paying THJ 18-20 million or whatever he might get when we can continue to groom J Green to hopefully play a bigger role. If THJ wants to take a hometown discount i'd consider it just to have continuity especially if we're not going to get some other big name FA (next year's class looks underwhelming).
Yeah, I'm not crazy about it either, but you have to upgrade or do it.

I'm hoping they find a quality mobile 4 then move DFS back to the 3, Rich at the 2. That would make for a contender.

I think Johnson starting is a good idea though. It can work as long as Rich is hitting his threes.

Old 12-17-2020, 05:26 PM   #334
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Someone should notify the NBA then so they don't keep putting him in the all-nba teams as a forward.
He’s the primary ball handler, brings the ball up the court, and initiates the offense. Offensively he is a point guard, so the Harden/Westbrook comparison makes sense. You compared him to KG.

I don’t think it would necessarily be a problem. LeBron/Wade and LeBron/Kyrie worked out just fine. It’s likely the personalities that conflicted in Houston, rather than the play styles.
Old 12-17-2020, 06:30 PM   #335
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
He’s the primary ball handler, brings the ball up the court, and initiates the offense. Offensively he is a point guard, so the Harden/Westbrook comparison makes sense. You compared him to KG.
I compared him to KG because I think he is better off as a second option offensively. He relies on his athleticism to speed past his defender and doesn't have much of a low post game.

I don't think the Luka's game would overlap with his a fraction as much as Lebron's did with Wade and Kyrie. It'd be a lot more like Lebron and Davis. Davis was trained as a guard too.

The KG comparison is apt. I think Giannis has a hell of a lot more in common with Garnett than he does with Harden or Westbrook. KG did a lot of the ballhandling and playmaking in Minnesota too- because again like Giannis- his team needed him to. Maybe not quite as much as Giannis, but my point is, like Giannis, he had to do everything on offense because his team wasn't that good.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 12-17-2020 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-17-2020, 06:32 PM   #336
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post

That's a huge risk because of Blake's health but if by some miracle he stays healthy doing this shortened season he wouldn't be a bad fit with Luka, KP and Richardson in the starting lineup.
I have absolutely zero interest in that. If we're gonna trade THJ, can we at least make it for someone that would actually make the team better?
Old 12-17-2020, 07:48 PM   #337
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

No interest in that deal unless there are some draft picks coming back to us.
Isnt Griffin basically washed up?
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 04:29 AM   #338
FreshJive
Diamond Member

Quote:
I compared him to KG because I think he is better off as a second option offensively. He relies on his athleticism to speed past his defender and doesn't have much of a low post game.

I don't think the Luka's game would overlap with his a fraction as much as Lebron's did with Wade and Kyrie. It'd be a lot more like Lebron and Davis. Davis was trained as a guard too.

The KG comparison is apt. I think Giannis has a hell of a lot more in common with Garnett than he does with Harden or Westbrook. KG did a lot of the ballhandling and playmaking in Minnesota too- because again like Giannis- his team needed him to. Maybe not quite as much as Giannis, but my point is, like Giannis, he had to do everything on offense because his team wasn't that good.
We agree that Luka and Giannis would be great teammates, but they do have some offensive overlap, in the same way that Harden/Westbrook, Wade/LeBron, and Kyrie/LeBron do. KG wouldn't have this overlap with any of the other players. KG and Giannis would have some defensive overlap, and range issues on offense, so I can understand the comparison there.
Old 12-19-2020, 11:56 AM   #339
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

The Mavs have waived Devonte Patterson and Freddie Gillespie.

They still have to waive one more player to get their roster down to 15 with Courtney Lee & Wesley Iwundu as the two most likely candidates.
Old 12-19-2020, 02:59 PM   #340
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
The Mavs have waived Devonte Patterson and Freddie Gillespie.

They still have to waive one more player to get their roster down to 15 with Courtney Lee & Wesley Iwundu as the two most likely candidates.
And Lee is cut
Old 12-19-2020, 03:01 PM   #341
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Official 2020-2021 roster

---regular roster---
1) Tim Hardaway Jr.
2) James Johnson
3) Josh Richardson
4) Dwight Powell
5) Maxi Kleber
6) Luka Doncic
7) Willie Caulie-Stein
8) Dorian Finney-Smith
9) Boban Marjanovic
10) Jalen Brunson
11) Trey Burke
12) Josh Green
13) Wes Iwundu
---inactive---
14) Tyrell Terry
15) Kristaps Porzingis
---two-way players-----
16) Nate Hinton
17) Tyler Bey

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 12-19-2020 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-19-2020, 07:03 PM   #342
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

I'm eager for the rookies to look less like rookies. Doncic sure as hell never looked like a rookie, and Brunson had a very nice rookie season. Heck, Iwundu looks like a rookie to me right now. I hope we see a lot of growth from Green, Terry, Hinton, Bey, and Iwundu. It'll be a struggle for any of them to get any minutes right now. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Anyway, I liked watching Lee practice with Luka. That'll probably be what I miss the most about him. Maybe he can find a new role with the Mavericks if he cannot get a gig somewhere else? I kinda doubt this will be the team he finds said role with though.
Old 12-19-2020, 07:18 PM   #343
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedlesKane View Post
I'm eager for the rookies to look less like rookies. Doncic sure as hell never looked like a rookie, and Brunson had a very nice rookie season. Heck, Iwundu looks like a rookie to me right now. I hope we see a lot of growth from Green, Terry, Hinton, Bey, and Iwundu. It'll be a struggle for any of them to get any minutes right now. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Anyway, I liked watching Lee practice with Luka. That'll probably be what I miss the most about him. Maybe he can find a new role with the Mavericks if he cannot get a gig somewhere else? I kinda doubt this will be the team he finds said role with though.
Thing is they had no summer league and a truncated training camp. Luka has been a pro for many years and Brunson came out after his Jr. year. It’s going to take a couple years for these guys to get fully comfortable. I’d love to see Green in the rotation this season at some point but won’t be surprised when he only sees spot duty for long stretches.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 11:31 PM   #344
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

mac, I absolutely agree.
Old 12-20-2020, 12:30 AM   #345
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedlesKane View Post

I mean, a large part is the fact that we're a borderline contender and don't necessarily need rookies to produce this season like in the past.

They also haven't had more than moment to really develop as well.

Not disagreeing with you as none of them looked anywhere near ready, but other rookies haven't looked great either. Even Bane had a poor game tonight. Haven't seen much from Bey, either.

Old 12-20-2020, 07:12 AM   #346
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I mean, a large part is the fact that we're a borderline contender and don't necessarily need rookies to produce this season like in the past.

They also haven't had more than moment to really develop as well.

Not disagreeing with you as none of them looked anywhere near ready, but other rookies haven't looked great either. Even Bane had a poor game tonight. Haven't seen much from Bey, either.
Yeah, the rookies for the Mavs are in a tough situation to succeed because this team is deep with experienced players and it will be tough for them to get the opportunity to actually compete for a position.

Considering they were drafted about 5 months later than normal, no summer league, limited training camp and preseason games, and no G-League, along with a young but experienced roster, it will be virtually impossible for them to earn PT this season.

Green will probably get a decent look but the others will need to be exceptional in practice for Carlisle to even give them a glance.

Last edited by rimrocker; 12-20-2020 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12-20-2020, 12:46 PM   #347
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

One thing I am super thankful for is our amazing chemistry. These guys are happy. I love watching Luka smile and joke. I love seeing Boban (and love his most recent interview) I even love Powell’s amazing attitude even while I hope we upgrade him. This team is happy.

So many teams have miserable locker rooms. This team just seems like they like each other, like coming to work, and like playing.

I want them to play well, but I’m just in love with this roster because they’re happy.
Old 12-21-2020, 02:08 PM   #348
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

I've been saying this for awhile. Brunson needs to play off ball more or become more of a facilitator. He should study Derek Fisher's game

4. Don’t like – Jalen Brunson’s playmaking
Dallas missed Jalen Brunson in the bubble and in the playoffs last season, so him returning back from his shoulder injury and being ready to go in the preseason was a welcome sight.

Coach Carlisle's system depends a lot on guard play, and a lot of emphasis in the preseason was on the second unit guard combo of Brunson and Trey Burke. They are both score first guards and the offense looked a bit stagnant at times in the preseason games.

The two guards averaged a combined 15 field goals per game in the preseason, while the rest of the second unit (Kleber, Johnson, and Green) took 14.3 shots per game.

Especially Brunson should look to create shots for others on the second unit. However, he often fails to make the pass to the wide-open teammates while driving to the basket.

It will be interesting to see if Brunson can improve his playmaking ability in his third season. If not, coach Carlisle will have to look at other alternatives for the second unit.

Last edited by Dallas41; 12-21-2020 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-21-2020, 03:18 PM   #349
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
I've been saying this for awhile. Brunson needs to play off ball more or become more of a facilitator. He should study Derek Fisher's game

4. Don’t like – Jalen Brunson’s playmaking
Dallas missed Jalen Brunson in the bubble and in the playoffs last season, so him returning back from his shoulder injury and being ready to go in the preseason was a welcome sight.

Coach Carlisle's system depends a lot on guard play, and a lot of emphasis in the preseason was on the second unit guard combo of Brunson and Trey Burke. They are both score first guards and the offense looked a bit stagnant at times in the preseason games.

The two guards averaged a combined 15 field goals per game in the preseason, while the rest of the second unit (Kleber, Johnson, and Green) took 14.3 shots per game.

Especially Brunson should look to create shots for others on the second unit. However, he often fails to make the pass to the wide-open teammates while driving to the basket.

It will be interesting to see if Brunson can improve his playmaking ability in his third season. If not, coach Carlisle will have to look at other alternatives for the second unit.
Why would Brunson play off ball? He’s literally our primary ball handler of our second unit
Old 12-21-2020, 04:52 PM   #350
Grady Wilson

Grady Wilson is a glorious beacon of lightGrady Wilson is a glorious beacon of lightGrady Wilson is a glorious beacon of lightGrady Wilson is a glorious beacon of lightGrady Wilson is a glorious beacon of lightGrady Wilson is a glorious beacon of lightGrady Wilson is a glorious beacon of light

I apologize if this might be in another thread, but just curious what everyone thought for the Mavs win total, assuming a full 72 games gets played. I'm thinking 45 wins.
Grady Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 06:37 PM   #351
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady Wilson View Post
I apologize if this might be in another thread, but just curious what everyone thought for the Mavs win total, assuming a full 72 games gets played. I'm thinking 45 wins.
Sounds about right to me.
Old 12-22-2020, 01:17 AM   #352
x0x0

x0x0 will become famous soon enough

I am surprised no ones talking about (yet another) salary cap saving DISASTER.
Mark Cuban and Donnie Nelson always get a pass. For every bullseye move Donnie shoot himself in the foot 5 times (best to pretend the Draft doesn't exist outside of foreign players), Cuban been living of the idea he will spend anything to win of 12 years ago.
Effing Plan Powder over and over again. What will it take for them to learn better, LOSING LUKA ?
Cant wait to resign Hardaway to a bloated contract and giving Spencer Dinwiddie 20M a year (or good help us, Oladipo) to pretend he´s our 3rd star.

2021 remaing free-agents (as of 22/12/2020):
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/2021/

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/2021/center/

Andre Drummond CLE C 28 9 UFA Bird $25,434,263
Gorgui Dieng MEM C 31 8 UFA Bird $15,700,000
Cody Zeller CHA C 28 8 UFA Bird $14,000,000
Serge Ibaka LAC C 32 11 PO $9,489,450
Meyers Leonard MIA C 29 8 CO $9,400,000
Deandre Ayton PHX C 23 2 CO $9,248,760
Robin Lopez WAS C 33 13 UFA Non-Bird $7,300,000
Daniel Theis BOS C 29 4 UFA Bird $5,000,000
Nerlens Noel NYK C 27 8 UFA Non-Bird $5,000,000
Ed Davis MIN C 32 11 UFA Early Bird $4,886,175
Enes Kanter POR C 29 10 UFA Early Bird $4,886,175
Richaun Holmes SAC C 27 6 UFA Early Bird $4,886,175
JaVale McGee CLE C 33 13 UFA Bird $4,100,000
Willie Cauley-Stein DAL C 28 5 CO $4,100,000
Zach Collins POR C 23 4 RFA Bird $4,083,154
Boban Marjanovic DAL C 33 6 UFA Early Bird $3,500,000
Bismack Biyombo CHA C 29 10 UFA Non-Bird $3,500,000
Goga Bitadze IND C 22 1 CO $2,887,140
Dwight Howard PHI C 35 17 UFA Non-Bird $2,564,753
Vincent Poirier PHI C 27 2 RFA Early Bird $2,562,500
Jarrett Allen BKN C 23 4 RFA Bird $2,508,646
DeMarcus Cousins HOU C 31 10 UFA $2,331,593
Hassan Whiteside SAC C 32 9 UFA Non-Bird $2,320,044
Alex Len TOR C 28 8 UFA Non-Bird $2,258,000
Luke Kornet CHI C 26 4 UFA Early Bird $2,250,000
Tony Bradley PHI C 23 4 RFA Bird $2,149,715
Bol Bol DEN C 21 2 RFA Bird $2,109,696
Moritz Wagner WAS C 24 2 CO $1,995,840
Robert Williams BOS C 23 2 CO $1,873,960
Thon Maker CLE C 24 5 UFA Non-Bird $1,737,145
Willy Hernangomez NOP C 27 5 UFA Non-Bird $1,737,145
Isaiah Hartenstein DEN C 23 2 PO $1,691,680
Harry Giles POR C 23 4 UFA Non-Bird $1,678,854

Blake Griffin DET PF 32 10 PO $34,234,964
LaMarcus Aldridge SAS PF 36 15 UFA Bird $25,000,000
James Johnson DAL PF 34 12 UFA Bird $14,431,700
Kelly Olynyk MIA PF 30 8 UFA Bird $12,500,000
Paul Millsap DEN PF 36 15 UFA Bird $10,000,000
Montrezl Harrell LAL PF 27 5 PO $9,489,450
Cristiano Felicio CHI PF 29 6 UFA Bird $8,000,000
P.J. Tucker HOU PF 36 10 UFA Bird $7,969,537
JaMychal Green DEN PF 31 6 PO $7,379,754
Nemanja Bjelica SAC PF 33 6 UFA Bird $6,825,000
Jabari Parker SAC PF 26 7 UFA Early Bird $6,500,000
Trey Lyles SAS PF 25 6 UFA Early Bird $5,500,000
Lauri Markkanen CHI PF 24 4 RFA Bird $5,097,417
Mike Scott PHI PF 33 9 UFA Early Bird $4,900,000
Kevon Looney GSW PF 25 5 PO $4,821,429
Rui Hachimura WAS PF 23 1 CO $4,581,000
Nicolo Melli NOP PF 30 2 RFA Early Bird $4,000,000
PJ Washington CHA PF 23 1 CO $3,927,720
Bobby Portis MIL PF 26 5 PO $3,713,575

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-age...small-forward/

Kawhi Leonard LAC SF 30 9 PO $34,379,100
Otto Porter Jr. CHI SF 28 8 UFA Bird $26,631,244
Andre Iguodala MIA SF 37 16 CO $15,000,000
Kelly Oubre Jr. GSW SF 25 6 UFA Bird $15,000,000
Will Barton DEN SF 30 8 PO $13,250,000
Justise Winslow MEM SF 25 5 CO $13,000,000
Trevor Ariza OKC SF 36 17 UFA Early Bird $12,500,000
Derrick Jones Jr. POR SF 24 4 PO $9,489,450
Doug McDermott IND SF 29 7 UFA Bird $7,333,333
De'Andre Hunter ATL SF 23 1 CO $7,245,180
Darius Miller OKC SF 31 7 UFA Bird $7,125,000
Cam Reddish ATL SF 22 1 CO $4,351,860
Kevin Knox NYK SF 22 2 CO $4,236,240
Cameron Johnson PHX SF 25 1 CO $4,134,300
Reggie Bullock NYK SF 30 8 UFA Early Bird $4,100,000
Mikal Bridges PHX SF 25 2 CO $4,024,320

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-age...hooting-guard/

DeMar DeRozan SAS SG 32 12 UFA Bird $27,800,000
Jrue Holiday MIL SG 31 11 PO $26,361,000
Victor Oladipo IND SG 29 8 UFA Bird $21,250,000
Tim Hardaway Jr.DAL SG 29 8 UFA Bird $17,737,500
Evan Fournier ORL SG 28 9 UFA Bird $17,000,000
Danny Green PHI SG 34 12 UFA Early Bird $15,000,000
J.J. Redick NOP SG 37 15 UFA Early Bird $13,250,000
Tony Snell ATL SG 29 8 UFA Bird $11,500,000
Norman Powell TOR SG 28 5 PO $10,491,264
Josh Richardson DAL SG 28 5 PO $10,491,264
x0x0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 04:48 AM   #353
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0x0 View Post
Mark Cuban and Donnie Nelson always get a pass. For every bullseye move Donnie shoot himself in the foot 5 times (best to pretend the Draft doesn't exist outside of foreign players), Cuban been living of the idea he will spend anything to win of 12 years ago.
Effing Plan Powder over and over again. What will it take for them to learn better, LOSING LUKA ?
Cant wait to resign Hardaway to a bloated contract and giving Spencer Dinwiddie 20M a year (or good help us, Oladipo) to pretend he´s our 3rd star.

2021 remaing free-agents (as of 22/12/2020):
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/2021/

Andre Drummond CLE C 28 9 UFA Bird $25,434,263
Gorgui Dieng MEM C 31 8 UFA Bird $15,700,000
Cody Zeller CHA C 28 8 UFA Bird $14,000,000
Serge Ibaka LAC C 32 11 PO $9,489,450
Meyers Leonard MIA C 29 8 CO $9,400,000
Deandre Ayton PHX C 23 2 CO $9,248,760
Robin Lopez WAS C 33 13 UFA Non-Bird $7,300,000
Daniel Theis BOS C 29 4 UFA Bird $5,000,000
Nerlens Noel NYK C 27 8 UFA Non-Bird $5,000,000
Ed Davis MIN C 32 11 UFA Early Bird $4,886,175
Enes Kanter POR C 29 10 UFA Early Bird $4,886,175
Richaun Holmes SAC C 27 6 UFA Early Bird $4,886,175
JaVale McGee CLE C 33 13 UFA Bird $4,100,000
Willie Cauley-Stein DAL C 28 5 CO $4,100,000
Zach Collins POR C 23 4 RFA Bird $4,083,154
Boban Marjanovic DAL C 33 6 UFA Early Bird $3,500,000
Bismack Biyombo CHA C 29 10 UFA Non-Bird $3,500,000
Goga Bitadze IND C 22 1 CO $2,887,140
Dwight Howard PHI C 35 17 UFA Non-Bird $2,564,753
Vincent Poirier PHI C 27 2 RFA Early Bird $2,562,500
Jarrett Allen BKN C 23 4 RFA Bird $2,508,646
DeMarcus Cousins HOU C 31 10 UFA $2,331,593
Hassan Whiteside SAC C 32 9 UFA Non-Bird $2,320,044
Alex Len TOR C 28 8 UFA Non-Bird $2,258,000
Luke Kornet CHI C 26 4 UFA Early Bird $2,250,000
Tony Bradley PHI C 23 4 RFA Bird $2,149,715
Bol Bol DEN C 21 2 RFA Bird $2,109,696
Moritz Wagner WAS C 24 2 CO $1,995,840
Robert Williams BOS C 23 2 CO $1,873,960
Thon Maker CLE C 24 5 UFA Non-Bird $1,737,145
Willy Hernangomez NOP C 27 5 UFA Non-Bird $1,737,145
Isaiah Hartenstein DEN C 23 2 PO $1,691,680
Harry Giles POR C 23 4 UFA Non-Bird $1,678,854

Blake Griffin DET PF 32 10 PO $34,234,964
LaMarcus Aldridge SAS PF 36 15 UFA Bird $25,000,000
James Johnson DAL PF 34 12 UFA Bird $14,431,700
Kelly Olynyk MIA PF 30 8 UFA Bird $12,500,000
Paul Millsap DEN PF 36 15 UFA Bird $10,000,000
Montrezl Harrell LAL PF 27 5 PO $9,489,450
Cristiano Felicio CHI PF 29 6 UFA Bird $8,000,000
P.J. Tucker HOU PF 36 10 UFA Bird $7,969,537
JaMychal Green DEN PF 31 6 PO $7,379,754
Nemanja Bjelica SAC PF 33 6 UFA Bird $6,825,000
Jabari Parker SAC PF 26 7 UFA Early Bird $6,500,000
Trey Lyles SAS PF 25 6 UFA Early Bird $5,500,000
Lauri Markkanen CHI PF 24 4 RFA Bird $5,097,417
Mike Scott PHI PF 33 9 UFA Early Bird $4,900,000
Kevon Looney GSW PF 25 5 PO $4,821,429
Rui Hachimura WAS PF 23 1 CO $4,581,000
Nicolo Melli NOP PF 30 2 RFA Early Bird $4,000,000
PJ Washington CHA PF 23 1 CO $3,927,720
Bobby Portis MIL PF 26 5 PO $3,713,575

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-age...small-forward/

Kawhi Leonard LAC SF 30 9 PO $34,379,100
Otto Porter Jr. CHI SF 28 8 UFA Bird $26,631,244
Andre Iguodala MIA SF 37 16 CO $15,000,000
Kelly Oubre Jr. GSW SF 25 6 UFA Bird $15,000,000
Will Barton DEN SF 30 8 PO $13,250,000
Justise Winslow MEM SF 25 5 CO $13,000,000
Trevor Ariza OKC SF 36 17 UFA Early Bird $12,500,000
Derrick Jones Jr. POR SF 24 4 PO $9,489,450
Doug McDermott IND SF 29 7 UFA Bird $7,333,333
De'Andre Hunter ATL SF 23 1 CO $7,245,180
Darius Miller OKC SF 31 7 UFA Bird $7,125,000
Cam Reddish ATL SF 22 1 CO $4,351,860
Kevin Knox NYK SF 22 2 CO $4,236,240
Cameron Johnson PHX SF 25 1 CO $4,134,300
Reggie Bullock NYK SF 30 8 UFA Early Bird $4,100,000
Mikal Bridges PHX SF 25 2 CO $4,024,320

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-age...hooting-guard/

DeMar DeRozan SAS SG 32 12 UFA Bird $27,800,000
Jrue Holiday MIL SG 31 11 PO $26,361,000
Victor Oladipo IND SG 29 8 UFA Bird $21,250,000
Tim Hardaway Jr.DAL SG 29 8 UFA Bird $17,737,500
Evan Fournier ORL SG 28 9 UFA Bird $17,000,000
Danny Green PHI SG 34 12 UFA Early Bird $15,000,000
J.J. Redick NOP SG 37 15 UFA Early Bird $13,250,000
Tony Snell ATL SG 29 8 UFA Bird $11,500,000
Norman Powell TOR SG 28 5 PO $10,491,264
Josh Richardson DAL SG 28 5 PO $10,491,264
So... what exactly are you angry about? What's all this about plan powder again? How is this plan powder? What DISASTER are you talking about?

The Mavs are not sitting on cap space. They were over the cap this offseason. They had the MLE to work with and nothing more. Yes, they'll have a lot of space in the summer, and yes the free agent class pretty much sucks now. But cap space isn't just useful for getting free agents. It's also extremely useful in trades, because desperate teams will give up major assets just to dump their bad contracts.

I also find it odd that you chose this moment to complain about the Mavs ignoring the draft, when that is precisely what they did not do this year. At a time when most people were calling for them to trade their picks, they instead used them and my most accounts "won" the 2020 draft by getting probably the biggest steal of the year in Tyrell Terry.

Every offseason people complain about the Mavs not making any major free agent signings, and every offseason I ask the same question- who exactly could and should the Mavs have gotten? I never ever get an answer. Last year it was Kemba people complained about, even though the Mavs never had an actual shot at him. So who is it now? What great moves were available to the Mavs that they left on the table?

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 12-22-2020 at 05:59 AM.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:15 AM   #354
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

I’d be thrilled if we extended Luka and snagged Markkannen or Collins next year
Old 12-22-2020, 10:23 AM   #355
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0x0 View Post
The Mavericks were supposed to plan for a pandemic?

IMO a lot of the free agents signed for the guarantee. Playing in a different city and playing with your friends is cool but not if it costs you money

Take the guaranteed money when times are uncertain
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:24 AM   #356
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I’d be thrilled if we extended Luka and snagged Markkannen or Collins next year
A great plan. I cannot see Collins not being matched but its a great plan
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:26 AM   #357
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

"The Athletic's Shams Charania learned that Harden has had multiple verbal confrontations with teammates in practice, and one confrontation included Harden throwing a basketball at a teammate on Monday."

Sheesh what a polar opposite of what we have going on right now.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 11:02 AM   #358
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:

I also find it odd that you chose this moment to complain about the Mavs ignoring the draft, when that is precisely what they did not do this year. At a time when most people were calling for them to trade their picks, they instead used them and my most accounts "won" the 2020 draft by getting probably the biggest steal of the year in Tyrell Terry.
Who said the Mavs won the draft?

I like what they did because I'm a big fan of teams who can defend and the mavs clearly drafted a few guys capable of defending.

But I'm not going to say they won the draft just yet.

I also disagree that Terry was the steal of the draft.

You just going to ignore Haliburton who dropped to 12th overall?

That was just about as much of a surprise as Terry dropping just one spot out of the 1st round wouldn't you say?

Kings fans will probably say they got the steal of the draft that late.
Old 12-22-2020, 11:12 AM   #359
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Why would Brunson play off ball? He’s literally our primary ball handler of our second unit
Because to me he's more of a spot up shooter off the ball player.

I think he struggles as a true PG because he has more of shoot 1st personality.
Old 12-22-2020, 11:35 AM   #360
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Who said the Mavs won the draft?

I like what they did because I'm a big fan of teams who can defend and the mavs clearly drafted a few guys capable of defending.

But I'm not going to say they won the draft just yet.

I also disagree that Terry was the steal of the draft.

You just going to ignore Haliburton who dropped to 12th overall?

That was just about as much of a surprise as Terry dropping just one spot out of the 1st round wouldn't you say?

Kings fans will probably say they got the steal of the draft that late.
Agree that Haliburton was the steal of the draft and don't think it is even close. I thought we were damn lucky to get Terry at 31 but I'm not near as excited as I was on draft night about him because it looks like it will take some time for him to develop. I'm not sure there will be a path for him with Burke and Brunson on the roster so my enthusiasm on him has waned a bit.

I wasn't a fan of the Green pick and Bey looks to be the next Roby from what I've seen so far. Hinton does look like he'll eventually have a decent shot at being on the main roster and I love that we picked him up and signed to the two-way.
Now I will say draft night was a huge win for us because of the JRich trade more than anything. Bey was gravy on a trade that we clearly won so it's not a huge deal either way if he makes it or not in this league. Honestly I was hoping we'd take Paul Reed with that pick.

Last edited by rimrocker; 12-22-2020 at 11:39 AM.