Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-29-2006, 11:55 AM   #41
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

I prefer watching the Mavs playing the Lakers. I always like watching fresh matchups in the playoffs rather than the usual Mavs/Kings, Lakers/Spurs series. I enjoyed watching last year's playoffs because most of the teams that played each other never/rarely played in a playoff series.
If the Mavs go to the playoff as the 4th seed, I'd be excited to watch them play either the Grizzlies or Clippers, although I'm sure the Clippers will be easier to handle to handle than the Grizz.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2006, 01:48 PM   #42
inertia987

inertia987 is on a distinguished road

Why would you want to play Kobe in the first round? Keep in mind, the Lakers won the season series on Dallas, and you'd be playing against the guy who outscored an entire team. He's not going to score 62 points a night for an entire series, but he's going to do some damage. Also, look at the Laker stats as of late. Both Odom and Kwame Brown are coming up. In the last month, they beat both the Spurs and the Pistons. I'm not saying the Lakers would win against the Mavericks, but it'd be a lot easier with the Kings.
inertia987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 02:39 PM   #43
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

The Lakers and Kings - wow, talk about two teams that are completely irrelevant.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 03:31 PM   #44
inertia987

Irrelevant? Except that both teams have beaten the Mavericks this year.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:34 PM   #45
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

and so have the 10 other teams. what does that mean? nothing.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:35 PM   #46
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by inertia987
so have the golden state warriors. that still makes them irrelevant.

i suppose since the hawks beat the pistons and the spurs this year, mavs fans everywhere should fear them. does the hawks beating the pistons twice this year make them relevant?
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 03:35 PM   #47
inertia987

I think it means that the Mavericks are vulnerable to the Lakers and Kings. Again, not saying that either of those teams would win the series, but they're certainly not irrelevant.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:37 PM   #48
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

stupid posts. Unless the Lakers got Shaq, Horry, Fisher, and Fox back, I am not worried.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:40 PM   #49
inertia987

The Hawks have only beaten the pistons once this year. And the Hawks aren't in playoff contention. Either the Lakers or the Kings will take that 8th seed, so that does make them relevant, if as the original poster hypothesized, the Mavericks should take the top seed. Irrelevant to me means that the thought of either the Laker or Kings beating the Mavericks is ridiculous, when it's already happened three times this year (twice by Lakers, once by Kings).
Old 03-29-2006, 03:44 PM   #50
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

And that means their vulnerable cause they got beat in the regular season, a time in which Kobe was off the wall and the Kings were on a killing streak? Good God.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:44 PM   #51
inertia987

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightmkw
stupid posts. Unless the Lakers got Shaq, Horry, Fisher, and Fox back, I am not worried.
Were you worried on December 12, December 20, and March 12?
Old 03-29-2006, 03:45 PM   #52
inertia987

Quote:
And that means their vulnerable cause they got beat in the regular season, a time in which Kobe was off the wall and the Kings were on a killing streak? Good God.
Um, yes.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:45 PM   #53
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Lakers - BY FAR.

Sac-Dallas is always an interesting matchup but it's not the Sac we know so it's not really the same rivalry. Even if it was composed of the old Kings (Peja, CWebb, Christie, BJax, Divac), assuming that old and creaky bunch could make it to the playoffs, I'd rather revenge the 63-62. I want to bust out the broom on Phil and Kobe in their return to the playoffs more then anything else in the first round.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 03:46 PM   #54
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

You expect me to be worried about losses in the regular season? NO. It is about seeding to me. I want homecourt throughout so when we play Detroit in the finals we have the advantage. I don;t care about the seeding as far as who we face in the first round.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:46 PM   #55
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

no need for this.

Last edited by aexchange; 03-29-2006 at 04:17 PM.
sixeightmkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 03:51 PM   #56
inertia987

Quote:
You expect me to be worried about losses in the regular season? NO. It is about seeding to me. I want homecourt throughout so when we play Detroit in the finals we have the advantage. I don;t care about the seeding as far as who we face in the first round.
The whole point of this thread I think is to figure out what's the easiest way to get to Detroit. You're worrying about Detroit when the team that could possibly face you in the first round has beaten you 2 games to 1 this year. Geez, you're in some sort of dream world if you think that a spot at the finals is guaranteed for you.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:53 PM   #57
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

This ain't the NCAA tournament.

I-R-R-E-L-E-V-A-N-T

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
Old 03-29-2006, 03:54 PM   #58
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
The whole point of this thread I think is to figure out what's the easiest way to get to Detroit. You're worrying about Detroit when the team that could possibly face you in the first round has beaten you 2 games to 1 this year. Geez, you're in some sort of dream world if you think that a spot at the finals is guaranteed for you.

You obviously need to go back and read the first post in this thread.

Old 03-29-2006, 03:58 PM   #59
inertia987

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
You obviously need to go back and read the first post in this thread.
Um, I did. And it seems like the guy's asking who would rather face in the playoffs if you were the first seed, the Lakers or the Kings. And I'm assuming you'd rather face the easier team.

How did you interpret it?
Old 03-29-2006, 04:01 PM   #60
inertia987

Quote:
This ain't the NCAA tournament.

I-R-R-E-L-E-V-A-N-T
I was going off the idea that if you lose a season series to a team during the regular season, there's at least the CHANCE that you'll lose to them during the playoffs. So...that's why its relevant.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:04 PM   #61
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
Um, I did. And it seems like the guy's asking who would rather face in the playoffs if you were the first seed, the Lakers or the Kings. And I'm assuming you'd rather face the easier team.

How did you interpret it?

Certainly not as a thread about "the easiest way to Detroit" - because then we would be discussing the Clippers/Grizz vs. King/Lakers/Whatever spare team ends up in the eight spot.

Other than that there's not much else to debate - the road to the Finals goes through the Spurs, and probably Phoenix.

The Lakers suck.

The Kings are just a hair above suck.

They are irrelevant.

Last edited by mary; 03-29-2006 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:10 PM   #62
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

we need to be worried about the Warriors too cause we are losing that series right now.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:10 PM   #63
inertia987

Quote:
Certainly not as a thread about "the easiest way to Detroit" - because then we would be discussing the Clippers/Grizz vs. King/Lakers/Whatever spare team ends up in the eight spot.

Other than that there's not much else to debate - the road to the Finals goes through the Spurs, and probably Phoenix.

The Lakers suck.

The Kings are just a hair above suck.

They are irrelevant.
I was addressing the one guy's concern about how he only cares about getting homecourt. My point is that if you have that kind of mentality, you're going to lose. I mean, we'll probably have to agree to disagree on this point, but I feel like the regular season series can be a good indicator of how a playoff series might go. I don't know if there are statistics on this, but I have a feeling the majority of those teams that win season series goes on to win playoff series against the same team. Maybe this is something that can be re-discussed if one of the two teams beats the Mavericks out in a series -- or is that something thats just absolutely impossible?
Old 03-29-2006, 04:26 PM   #64
Spurs Fan

Spurs Fan is a jewel in the roughSpurs Fan is a jewel in the roughSpurs Fan is a jewel in the roughSpurs Fan is a jewel in the roughSpurs Fan is a jewel in the rough

No idea who's going to end up with the number 1 spot in the West yet, but I've always enjoyed watching the Mavs play the Kings. Man, that's artistry in motion, or at least it used to be with the old Kings. Then again, any time the Lakers get their asses handed to them, is a good time...
Spurs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 11:02 AM   #65
inertia987

Quote:

So, the following is a copy and pasted from Yahoo! Sports' NBA home page (to get to it, just go to http://sports.yahoo.com/nba ... it'll be there for a few hours at least) :

"Stumbling Mavericks disappear against Magic

Magic's Carlos Arroyo eyes a shot. (AP) Dallas is suddenly vulnerable. The Mavs' losing streak hit three games Friday when they fell short against the Magic. "

So, it's not just me who thinks they're vulnerable. Plus, you act as though because they're vulnerable that's the worst trait in the world--every team in the NBA is vulnerable. Don't take offense to it.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:51 AM   #66
Locked_Up_Tonight
Platinum Member

Locked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to behold

The Pismo Beach Panthers.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:59 AM   #67
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

I'd rather play the Lakers... but since we're heading for the fourth seed I think Memphis is going to be our first round opponent. So I hope the Kings get the eighth and head to SA.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote