Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-24-2006, 06:22 PM   #1
Artest is the best!

Artest is the best! is on a distinguished road
Default who would you rather play?

in the playoffs if you are the number one seed. the lakers or the kings?
Artest is the best! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2006, 06:26 PM   #2
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Lakers
Old 03-24-2006, 06:33 PM   #3
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

A second for the Lakers. I want no part of that Kings squad.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:38 PM   #4
Artest is the best!

Artest is the best! is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
A second for the Lakers. I want no part of that Kings squad.
yeah im a huge kings fan and i dont think the lakers have enough besides kobe to give dallas any trouble at all. the mavs would probably beat the lakers in 5 or it would be a sweep.
Artest is the best! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:02 PM   #5
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Lakers and it's not even close.

Edit: Although to be totally honest, I think I'd enjoy it thoroughly if the Dallas/Sacramento rivalry was restored.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 03-24-2006 at 07:03 PM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:03 PM   #6
Pj5

Pj5 will become famous soon enough

Anyone. Beating the best teams always looks good on a team's sheet of accomplishment. Imagine if the Mavs win a championship and beat the Griz, Spurs, Suns and Pistons to get there.. that would be a statement!
Old 03-24-2006, 07:10 PM   #7
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

I think beating out the Spurs for the top seed, and then winning the championship would be a better statement
Old 03-24-2006, 07:31 PM   #8
bricklayer

bricklayer is a jewel in the roughbricklayer is a jewel in the roughbricklayer is a jewel in the roughbricklayer is a jewel in the rough

We've beaten the Kings in the playoffs (it would be easy to do again) and it was sweet. But nothing says, in your face, like sweeping the guy that scored 63 on us.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:46 PM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

If the Mavs are the number one seed..I don't really think it matters who they play. Winning the #1 seed would indicate that the Mavs are healthy. Neither the Kings or the Lakers remotely scare me as a Mavs fan if they are healthy.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:51 PM   #10
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

F'em all.

If I have to choose I choose the lakers, they are such a one-man show that I will be surprised if they aren't swept no matter who they play.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:58 PM   #11
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

What about the Clippers or Memphis? Memphis is on a hot streak again. I would take the Clipps.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 01:56 AM   #12
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Memphis always plays us tough. I'd much rather face the Clipps.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:04 AM   #13
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Lakers, the Kings are a much better team than their record shows.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 09:06 AM   #14
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Dallas gets to the second round - by just playing like they 80% of the time play. I see no way that any of the 5 down teams give them too much trouble. (At least I hope not.)
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 09:19 AM   #15
shaw-xx
Golden Member

shaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to all

Lakers though I really enjoy watching Mavs-Kings matchup.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:22 AM   #16
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
Dallas gets to the second round - by just playing like they 80% of the time play. I see no way that any of the 5 down teams give them too much trouble. (At least I hope not.)
No friggin way our opponent in the first round this year will be HALF as tough as the Rockets were last year. No friggin way.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:03 AM   #17
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Lakers, its a gimme. Kobe can't create for his teammates effectively - let the guy get 35+ every night. We'll still beat'em by 20. The Kings are a scary team and I'm pretty sure that nobody wants to play them.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 01:28 PM   #18
sp3nc3r13

sp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nice

alright how about another question...would you guys want memphis or L.A clippers?
Old 03-25-2006, 02:01 PM   #19
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

With how the kings are playing,it would be,at the least a 6 game series...
Kobe can steal a game,maybe 2,though i dont see us going for 6 with the lakers.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 02:11 PM   #20
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp3nc3r13
alright how about another question...would you guys want memphis or L.A clippers?
I'd go for Memphis, here's why:

The two spots we're traditionally worst at guarding are PG and PF. While both teams have All-Star caliber PFs in Gasol and Brand who will get theirs, Memphis (in the absence of Damon Stoudamire) doesn't have a PG who can effectively penetrate or shoot the J (Bobby Jax notwithstanding - but he's not the same player he was when he was with the Kings). I have a feeling that Sam Cassell would have no problem lighting us up a few nights over a 7 game series.

Also, just look up and down their rosters...outside of Gasol, possibly Mike Miller...I'm not worried about anyone on the Grizz having a huge night against us. Chucky Atkins? Eddie Jones? Maybe one night, but nothing we should devote too many brain cells to. With the Clips we have to worry about Brand, Cassell, Mobley, and now Maggette. Chris Kaman is also starting to warrant defensive attention.

L.A. is more talented, deeper, and I'd argue a better team than Memphis. The Grizz are successful because they're a good defensive squad...stingy...but I don't think they're good enough to shut us down in the playoffs. Memphis won't make it out of the first round.

Last edited by orangedays; 03-25-2006 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:40 PM   #21
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays
I'd go for Memphis, here's why:

The two spots we're traditionally worst at guarding are PG and PF. While both teams have All-Star caliber PFs in Gasol and Brand who will get theirs
I see where you're coming from, but to be totally honest, in a head-to-head matchup Gasol worries me more than Brand does. Brand's a better overall player, but Gasol's post-game is just lethal, and he almost always gives us a boatload of trouble (although Damp has done well containing him sometimes) Also, Memphis is a good bit tougher defensively.

Really, it doesn't matter because neither team stands a chance, because like I said nobody we face in the first round this year will be anywhere near as tough as the Rockets were last year.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:46 PM   #22
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Clippers have a better perimeter team than the grizzlies do. Brand is a load but I don't think he can carry them himself.

I'd have to say the grizzlies.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 03-26-2006, 12:35 AM   #23
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Probably the Lakers. The only chance the Lakers have in beating us is Kobe and he has to be greatness. A 40+ a game type greatness. I don't want anything to do with a Kings team that has the best defender in the league on it. If Bowen gave Dirk problems than imagine what Artest can do.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 01:12 AM   #24
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
If Bowen gave Dirk problems than imagine what Artest can do.
Please... The only reason Bowen gives Dirk trouble is he's got Duncan waiting in the middle to come help him out on the double team. Dirk has figured out the smaller defenders. They don't hinder him anymore. Dirk doesn't have any trouble Marion anymore, and he'd have even less trouble with Artest.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:18 AM   #25
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
Dirk doesn't have any trouble Marion anymore, and he'd have even less trouble with Artest.
What if 'Amore' is waiting for him in the middle...

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 01:20 AM   #26
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelli
What if 'Amore' is waiting for him in the middle...
I think Black Jesus is about as intimidating on the defensive end as Brad Miller.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:28 AM   #27
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Please... The only reason Bowen gives Dirk trouble is he's got Duncan waiting in the middle to come help him out on the double team. Dirk has figured out the smaller defenders. They don't hinder him anymore. Dirk doesn't have any trouble Marion anymore, and he'd have even less trouble with Artest.

I'll have to wait to the post season to see whether or not Dirk doesn't have any problems with smaller opponents anymore. I'm not even referring to the Spurs game. That's regular season play. It was the first time i've ever seen Bowen give Dirk problem so the jury's still out on whether or not Bowen has Dirk's number. But last post season Dirk had his share of hard times with T-Mac and Marion and going by past history I don't want to even take chances on Artest on him. I wouldn't be surprised if the King upset in the first round. Not saying it will happen but I wouldn't be shocked if it did.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 01:34 AM   #28
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
I think Black Jesus is about as intimidating on the defensive end as Brad Miller.
He'll be even less this year...
Old 03-26-2006, 03:26 AM   #29
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
I'll have to wait to the post season to see whether or not Dirk doesn't have any problems with smaller opponents anymore. I'm not even referring to the Spurs game. That's regular season play. It was the first time i've ever seen Bowen give Dirk problem so the jury's still out on whether or not Bowen has Dirk's number. But last post season Dirk had his share of hard times with T-Mac and Marion and going by past history I don't want to even take chances on Artest on him. I wouldn't be surprised if the King upset in the first round. Not saying it will happen but I wouldn't be shocked if it did.
You know, I don't think I want Dirk to take his chances with Artest either. After all, I think I remember reading that he cracked one of Michael Jordan's ribs guarding him in a game of one-on-one. Then again, against San Antonio I do worry about Dirk getting drop-kicked in the face.

Seriously though, last season I think Dirk's troubles had as much to do with a bad case of bronchitis as they did with Tracy McGrady, and a lot more to do with Yao Ming and Dikembe Mutombo. In the second round though, I didn't get the impression that Dirk was having any problems at all with Marion, other than not getting calls (but that's always been the case) Dirk averaged something like 28 ppg in that series, well above his regular season average.

Also, I know Artest is a phenominal defender, but I'd wager he doesn't give Dirk as much trouble as Marion. The reason Marion has given Dirk trouble in the past is because he's so damn long and so damn fast. Artest isn't really long enough to bother Dirk the way Marion has. He's physical, sure, but Dirk has handled physical players like Artest throughout his career. If Artest had a Yao Ming or a Tim Duncan in the paint waiting in the paint to double Dirk, I might feel differently. But one-on-one, I hardly think Artest would stop Dirk from putting up 25-30 every night.

HOWEVER, all that being said, of all the teams in we could face in the first round, Sacramento is the one that I least want face.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:50 PM   #30
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

If we get the #1 seed, i want to play the Fakers because we now know we can stop Kobe, and no one else can hurt us.

If we get the #4 seed, I'd want to play the Clippers.
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 02:40 AM   #31
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to change my vote...
Old 03-29-2006, 02:45 AM   #32
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
I'd like to change my vote...
How so? You don't want the Lakers anymore? You want the Kings or somesuch? Why?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 02:51 AM   #33
dirno2000
Diamond Member

The Kings are in the midst of a nosedive (home loss to the Wiz sans Gil tonight) while Lamar Odom is playing his best ball since coming to LA. Kobe is still Kobe and I’d rather not face him if he has help.

Actually Sac has a tough remaining schedule so they’re not a shoe in if Utah picks it up.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:56 AM   #34
EastDallasCowboy

EastDallasCowboy has a spectacular aura aboutEastDallasCowboy has a spectacular aura about

Clippers, honestly.

Which is why the no. 4 seed could somehow be good.
EastDallasCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 03:04 AM   #35
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Someting else struck me about the Kings when we played them: Ron Artest shoots too much.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:58 AM   #36
KobeRocks

KobeRocks is on a distinguished road

KobeRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:58 AM   #37
KobeRocks

KobeRocks is on a distinguished road

lest we forget Kobe outscored the Mavs 62 - 61 when we blew you guys out
KobeRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:05 AM   #38
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

I could really care less who we play in the first round, whoever they will be will be lucky to win one game. The Lakers, haha, give me a break. And Kobe, he is a little bitch. He won't be scoring anymore 60 point games. And Artest is the Best, haha, that is even funnier. He is a good defensive player that shoots way too much.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:06 AM   #39
orangedays
Platinum Member

Yeah...saw the name...and as the page was loading I was thinking "uh-oh", there's gonna be alot of stupid on this page.

You think Kobe dropped 81 on his rape-victim's nice big cup of STFU?

$81...000? $81...0,000? $8,1...00,000?

No wonder she dropped the charges...gosh.

Go Kobe!

Oops...I meant:

Honest mistake.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:13 AM   #40
orangedays
Platinum Member

Take your time KobeRocks, I'm sure you've got something brilliant planned for us.

Can't wait.

Last edited by orangedays; 03-29-2006 at 10:14 AM.