Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 09-29-2009, 10:33 PM   #1
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyTownFwehah View Post
Gooden is a very underrated mid-range jump shooter. If he hits those on a consistent enough basis to bring shot-blocking centers out of the paint, marion and howard will have more opportunities for easy baskets. Whether it's drives of the dribble or dive cuts with a kidd delivery on the way. Opportunities will be there for the taking.
Gooden has an average jumper and falls WAY too often in love with it. Thats why he shots for a big a crappy career FG%.

Gooden is NOT here to take jumpshots. He is here to move his ass quick in the paint, catch freaking passes and rebound the ball and keep his defender by him to he cant easy double Dirk...

Seriously, if he starts to move his ass out of the paint to take Dirks/Howards/Jets jumpshots i gonna fly to Dallas and kick his ass (im 6-6 so maybe i have a chance )

Last edited by sefant77; 09-29-2009 at 10:36 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:42 PM   #2
FunkyTownFwehah

FunkyTownFwehah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Gooden has an average jumper and falls WAY too often in love with it. Thats why he shots for a big a crappy career FG%.

Gooden is NOT here to take jumpshots. He is here to move his ass quick in the paint, catch freaking passes and rebound the ball and keep his defender by him to he cant easy double Dirk...

Seriously, if he starts to move his ass out of the paint to take Dirks/Howards/Jets jumpshots i gonna fly to Dallas and kick his ass (im 6-6 so maybe i have a chance )
He's 6-10 so you'd still be looking up buddy. haha
So what do you suggest? Gooden play to his weaknesses and stay in the paint, get manhandled by the "true" centers in the league and have marion and howard get there shots put in the 5th row by biedrins, nene, gasol, dwight, shaq, and the list goes on.......!
I'm talking strictly on the offensive end, he's got a better stroke than you think too.
FunkyTownFwehah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:48 PM   #3
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, i prefer Gooden to get man-handled 1on1 than Dirk in a double because teams prefer to double again Dirk and give Gooden his midjumper that he wont hit like Dirk etc. Gooden has to stay in the paint or its all A. Walker again....

And i thought for Shaq/Dwight etc we still have Damp...

Last edited by sefant77; 09-29-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:09 PM   #4
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Yes, i prefer Gooden to get man-handled 1on1 than Dirk in a double because teams prefer to double again Dirk and give Gooden his midjumper that he wont hit like Dirk etc. Gooden has to stay in the paint or its all A. Walker again....
Antoine Walker came to Dallas thinking he was a star. Before he arrived he was averaging 20-7-5, had three allstar games under his belt and was Boston's leading shot-taker tied with Pierce (pierce had 26ppg on 20shots per game. Walker had 20ppg on the same amount)

And it isn't an either-or situation, even within the same game or on the same play even, but I think we are confusing things a bit when we consider his role. On D he better bang. On offense he will do what needs to be done, whether it be setting screens, trying to get open without the ball, and taking a mid-range jumper on occasion to keep his defender honest. What we don't want him doing is hanging out under the basket on both sides of the court. This is a movement offense team and there will be a lot of baseline movement and back-cuts. We don't need anyone to clog the lane-- we need someone who can demand a defender so defenses don't just pack the middle and double Dirk. That's not to say he will be our Raef LaFrentz sitting on the perimeter taking threes, but he will be doing a little of everything. Putting him in the post all the time is as dumb as putting Dirk there, even if Gooden has slightly better post moves.

On some plays he may post, on others he may lay a screen and if he gets the ball back, he should be taking the shot. But most importantly...

Gooden is NOT Walker. Gooden is and has always been a utility guy. The guy has never averaged over 12 shots a game in a full season ever and has never been the 1a, 1b, on any team's offense. He will provide a little of everything and if he's used effectively he will use (or threaten to use) all his abilities while taking good shots wherever they are while trying to probe the offense without the ball to keep the defenders moving. When defenders move, passes come into allignment and when that happens, we have a point guard that can see that 30 inches of space and use it to get this team shots inside.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 09-29-2009 at 11:17 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:16 AM   #5
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Hollinger's strength is in mining and presenting numbers. He is far and away the best in the business in that regard. But as soon as he starts drawing sweeping conclusions from those numbers, he's out of his wheelhouse.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:20 AM   #6
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Hollinger's strength is in mining and presenting numbers. He is far and away the best in the business in that regard. But as soon as he starts drawing sweeping conclusions from those numbers, he's out of his wheelhouse.
His conclusions drawn away from the numbers are also pretty bad, like his love for Fazekas and overblowing the Gortat ordeal.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:52 AM   #7
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Gooden knows he'll be yanked if he is indeed that bad. He has a lot of incentive to play well, especially because of the way his contract is structured. I'm positive he knows the type of trade chip he could be as well if he blows this opportunity. I'm willing to give him a real shot instead of whining and crying about it before the fact. Try a little optimism, it goes a long way.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:58 AM   #8
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Gooden knows he'll be yanked if he is indeed that bad. He has a lot of incentive to play well, especially because of the way his contract is structured. I'm positive he knows the type of trade chip he could be as well if he blows this opportunity. I'm willing to give him a real shot instead of whining and crying about it before the fact. Try a little optimism, it goes a long way.
I think you're giving him way too much credit on his knowledge of his contract situation. Most players don't really pay attention to that kind of stuff.

As to those Chicago quotes, that's a perfect example of how a lot of fans see all the bad in their own players and all the good in other team's players. I'm no fan of Gooden but I doubt he's going to be as bad as they say.

However, I do find it interesting that a lot of talk is circling about the Mavs "switchability". And they definitely have it with their long, athletic lineup they're going to start. But the one constant you hear from every assessment of Gooden is that he forgets assignments and does not make the correct decisions on defensive schemes like pick and roll defense. That does not breed a ton of confidence in his role in the "switchability"..

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:20 AM   #9
sefant77
Guru

I willl quote Barney Stinson:

Gooden need switchability and intelligence...switchatelligence
Old 09-30-2009, 11:06 AM   #10
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I think you're giving him way too much credit on his knowledge of his contract situation. Most players don't really pay attention to that kind of stuff.

As to those Chicago quotes, that's a perfect example of how a lot of fans see all the bad in their own players and all the good in other team's players. I'm no fan of Gooden but I doubt he's going to be as bad as they say.

However, I do find it interesting that a lot of talk is circling about the Mavs "switchability". And they definitely have it with their long, athletic lineup they're going to start. But the one constant you hear from every assessment of Gooden is that he forgets assignments and does not make the correct decisions on defensive schemes like pick and roll defense. That does not breed a ton of confidence in his role in the "switchability"..
This. And I'm no Gooden fan either.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:11 AM   #11
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Quote:
Gooden will have to know his roles and assignments but I think we will see huge improvements if we can keep other guards in front of us.

In pick n rolls we don't panic as much if a backcourt player and Gooden get switched up because he is much quicker than Damp. Obviously Gooden isn't a better option on defense but Damp is way to slow to move out and defend an iso off of a switch. That killed us vs New Orleans a couple years ago, along with Kidd not being able to stay in front of Cp3.

I'm just excited that we have basically replaced Wright, a decent defender and thats about it, with Marion a great defender and rebounder and can score. Marion = switchability.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:33 AM   #12
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

They can easily go from Gooden to Humphries to Jawai to Voskuhl. It would be painful, but it will be done, if Gooden's not on board.
Kidd Karma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:21 AM   #13
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess the Mavs are replacing Humble Billy Hayes!

from facebook = "Think u have what it takes 2B the Mavs PA Announcer? We are hosting open tryouts on Oct 6th 2 become the new voice 4 Mavs home games."

I like the idea of a PA replacement! And keep the damn mic away from Chris ARnold too.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:19 AM   #14
mavErika
Golden Member

mavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant future

Coach Carlisle talking about training camp, Humphries, the importance of defense, Marion, McHale and more defense:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=143771947734
mavErika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:53 AM   #15
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Friendly reminder: Please include a link to any article that you copy/paste in full. Thanks, jthig.

Linky

UNIVERSITY PARK – Three practices into his NBA career, Roddy Beaubois has proved beyond any doubt that he can drive the lane to the basket a lot better than he can drive the lanes on Central Expressway.

He hasn't even tried the latter, yet.

Driving lessons are on his to-do list, but Beaubois has more important things on the front burner, like making an impression in his first days as a Maverick.

It's a little early to be fast-tracking the rookie point guard into the Hall of Fame, but he's getting noticed by his teammates because of his blinding speed.

"The other day, I tried to show off a little bit and got out on a sprint down the court," Jason Terry said Wednesday. "I was looking back at him like Usain Bolt. And the next thing you know, he was passing me up. He's just as quick as Devin Harris."

That's high praise around these parts. And it should be noted that Terry is no turtle himself. But Beaubois has a skill set that is rare in the NBA and was downright nonexistent with Dallas until now.

Coach Rick Carlisle, while trying to temper expectations for a foreign player who is bound to make his share of mistakes, clearly is pleased with Beaubois' progress.

"He has some tools that we don't have anywhere else on our roster," Carlisle said. "So he's going to have a lot of opportunities in the exhibition season. And we're going to find out what he can do, and we're going to need him at times."

But the bottom-line question remains, can he play? Speed doesn't always translate into high-quality basketball.

"As we used to say in TV, 'Stay tuned,' " Carlisle said. "But I'm going to err on the side of optimism.

"We like him or we wouldn't have drafted him."

Fans will get their first look at Beaubois on Friday night when Fan Jam takes place at American Airlines Center. Admission is free ($5 to park).

Beaubois is learning by the minute during practices, although he admits that things have been a bit of a whirl so far. He's getting things thrown at him fast and picking up everything will take time.

It's something every rookie goes through.

"Every practice, it's something new," Beaubois said. "But it's great. I'm getting more comfortable."

As for being intimidated, he said: "The first time I saw the guys, I was like, 'Oh, wow.' But since then, it's good. When I was young, I watched them on TV. Now, just playing with them and having them help me get better, it's great."

The next step for Beaubois, 21, might even include a driver's license. For now, he's been chauffeured around by teammates, coaches, support staff and the occasional cab ride.

Whenever he does become street legal, Beaubois might want to remember that rapid acceleration is best done on the basketball court.

Day in camp

Wednesday: The biggest news came from off the court as the Mavericks announced that an open audition will take place to find a new public-address announcer for games at American Airlines Center. Billy Hayes, who was the designated screamer for the last several years, has left because of family health issues. As owner Mark Cuban said: "We are looking for someone who can embrace the attitude of the Mavs fan." The audition is Tuesday and interested applicants can get details on mavs.com.

Looking ahead: They have two practices today. One will be mostly noncontact drills and the other will feature considerable scrimmaging. On Friday, the team will have a morning practice, then the Fan Jam event at AAC in the evening.

Spotlight on ... Matt Carroll: Carroll looks like he went a few rounds with some mixed martial arts dude. The whites of his eyes were partly red when he showed up for camp. Turns out Carroll had Lasik eye surgery about 10 days ago, and he's just starting to get back to normal. He's been wearing protective goggles in camp. And, please, dispense with the jokes about the necessity of eye surgery based on his 27 percent shooting last season with the Mavericks.

Noteworthy: The Mavericks had a lengthy practice Wednesday. How long? "It was really long," Shawn Marion said. Maybe, but as Drew Gooden said, it could be a lot worse. "Hey, listen, football has a month of this," Gooden said. "We only got a week and then we're playing games."

Last edited by jthig32; 10-01-2009 at 10:13 AM.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:58 PM   #16
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=144305747734

Shawn marion is officially in my top three mavs. Sorry Devin Harris, had to create an open slot.

Last edited by quietsavant; 10-01-2009 at 07:35 PM.
quietsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:49 PM   #17
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietsavant View Post
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=144305747734

Shawn marion is officially in my to three mavs. Sorry Devin Harris, had to create an open slot.
"Way to stay focused JKidd" haha

BEAT LA
badfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:20 PM   #18
SMC0007
Guru

Televised Preseason games! bonus

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...0sked-pre.html

OCTOBER Home Away
Day Date Opponent Time TV

Mon. 5 ORLANDO 7:30 p.m. Ch. 21
Fri. 9 at Washington 6 p.m. HDNet
Sun. 11 MEMPHIS 6 p.m. HDNet
Thu. 15 DETROIT 7:30 p.m. HDNet
Sat. 17 CLEVELAND 7:30 p.m. Ch. 21
Oct. 20 vs. Cleveland
(at Pittsburgh) 6:30 p.m. HDNet
Tue. 23 at Houston 7:30 p.m. Ch. 21

3 on ch.21 and 4 on hdnet which I do not have...I don't think.

Last edited by SMC0007; 10-01-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:29 PM   #19
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

I hate Timewarner, they got rid of HDNET.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:38 PM   #20
sefant77
Guru

Uh damn i hope i can find a stream.

And Marion cracks me up. Locker room atmosphere must be awesome with Dirk, Jet, Marion.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:26 PM   #21
muzak

muzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Televised Preseason games! bonus

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...0sked-pre.html

OCTOBER Home Away
Day Date Opponent Time TV

Mon. 5 ORLANDO 7:30 p.m. Ch. 21
Fri. 9 at Washington 6 p.m. HDNet
Sun. 11 MEMPHIS 6 p.m. HDNet
Thu. 15 DETROIT 7:30 p.m. HDNet
Sat. 17 CLEVELAND 7:30 p.m. Ch. 21
Oct. 20 vs. Cleveland
(at Pittsburgh) 6:30 p.m. HDNet
Tue. 23 at Houston 7:30 p.m. Ch. 21

3 on ch.21 and 4 on hdnet which I do not have...I don't think.
i will be in Pittsburgh on the 20th. anyone know where that game will be, the University?

edit: never mind -- google machine found it for me. i might try to swing that game.

Last edited by muzak; 10-01-2009 at 08:28 PM.
muzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:42 PM   #22
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, we've got a game in four days? Excellent!!!!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:32 PM   #23
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Wow, we've got a game in four days? Excellent!!!!
I can't wait. It's been forever!
Old 10-02-2009, 02:15 AM   #24
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
J-HO IN DUMMY DRILLS: “Josh has done well,’’ coach Rick Carlisle said. “I’d say he’s on schedule. He’s participating in a majority of our non-contact drills and workouts.’’

Otherwise, from what I understand, J-Ho spends practice sessions doing specific rehab work to strengthen his surgically-repaired ankle.

The timetable? I think the Mavs would like to have him participating in the last week of preseason games."
Hmpf, dont like that. I thought he recovered allready full and just take it a little bit slow. But thats really slow...

Last edited by sefant77; 10-02-2009 at 02:17 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #25
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk's got a little Teen Wolf in him.

Last edited by Bayliss; 10-01-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:12 AM   #26
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I hope we see more of Dirk in the low post. We saw alot of that in the second round of the playoffs and he was very, very good down there. With all of the additions, I hope this part of his game isn't shelved.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:48 AM   #27
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
DALLAS -- Seven years and seven teams into his NBA career, the fourth overall pick of the 2002 draft might be best known as the guy who once sported a four-pronged, spiky goatee.

Suffice it to say Drew Gooden doesn't take himself too seriously.

Gooden, who is goatee-free for the time being, has a bit of goofball in him. He's a good-natured guy who smiles easily. At least until he's asked whether he's physical enough to be a force at center.

"My opponents, they feel Drew Gooden," he said. "They feel me."

The Mavericks hope Gooden can fill a void at center that has existed since the day James Donaldson left Dallas. The 6-10, 250-pound Gooden certainly isn't a traditional center, but toughness is one of the reasons coach Rick Carlisle rattles off when discussing why Gooden will probably open the season as the Mavs' starting center.

Not that Erick Dampier, who manned the middle for the Mavs most of the last five seasons, comes up short in the toughness department. Dampier has always done the dirty work well. He just isn't an offensive threat and has trouble matching up with the new-age centers who are more likely to face up than post up.

That's why the decision-makers in Dallas are optimistic that the 28-year-old Gooden will be an upgrade, although Dampier could still start when the Mavs face the endangered species of back-to-the-basket big men.

"If we were to publish a depth chart right now, I'd tell you that it was his job to lose," Carlisle said. "There's a good chance we'll do some platooning because of bigger centers, etc., and there's a long way until Oct. 27. But we brought him in there with the idea that he'd give us outside shooting ability at [the] 5, rebounding, toughness, some dynamic athleticism at that position."
Gooden, who has averaged 12.0 points and 7.9 rebounds during his career, wasn't the Mavs' first choice among free-agent centers this summer. He signed a one-year deal worth $4.5 million plus incentives after Orlando surprisingly matched an offer for the full midlevel exception the Mavs made to Marcin Gortat.

However, the Mavs are confident that Gooden is a good fit despite his short-term contract.

Mark Cuban was willing to sign Gooden to a multiyear deal. Gooden, who explains his NBA odyssey by saying he's "been a victim of the business of basketball," wanted to be able to test the potentially rich free-agent market next summer.

There is a clause in Gooden's contract that guarantees him only $1.9 million if the Mavs trade or release him before Jan. 10. Cuban said that was suggested by Gooden's agent, Dan Fegan, just in case the fit isn't right. But Cuban can't envision a scenario in which getting rid of Gooden in the middle of the season would be in the Mavs' best interests.

"He's a guy that gives us a different look at the center," said Donnie Nelson, the team's president of basketball operations. "Erick is the aircraft carrier, the shot-blocker, rebounder. Drew comes in with a different skill set. He gives you a guy that can run like a deer, get out on the floor and guard, and he's got the toughness and the tenacity that can get the job done at that position."

Gooden would be the fourth offensive option in a starting lineup that wants to run as often as possible. But his presence could be a key in creating space for Dirk Nowitzki, Josh Howard and Shawn Marion to operate in halfcourt sets.

Carlisle wants to exploit the size advantage that Howard and Marion will have on many wings by frequently feeding them the ball on the block. That won't work if the opposing big man can play worry-free help defense. If his defender sags off him, Gooden is capable of draining open jumpers or cutting to the rim for easy baskets.

"He's got a deceptively good feel for the game," Carlisle said. "He can make the midrange shot. I don't want to pin too much on him in terms of he's going to have to carry the team or anything like that, but he's one of our key guys. He's going to have to be."
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/col...ory?id=4523492

Old 10-02-2009, 10:09 AM   #28
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Mark Cuban was willing to sign Gooden to a multiyear deal. Gooden, who explains his NBA odyssey by saying he's "been a victim of the business of basketball," wanted to be able to test the potentially rich free-agent market next summer.

There is a clause in Gooden's contract that guarantees him only $1.9 million if the Mavs trade or release him before Jan. 10. Cuban said that was suggested by Gooden's agent, Dan Fegan, just in case the fit isn't right. But Cuban can't envision a scenario in which getting rid of Gooden in the middle of the season would be in the Mavs' best interests.
Hmmm.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 10-02-2009, 01:45 PM   #29
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Hmmm.
I wonder what fish has to say about that.

Hes been praising Cuban and Donnie quite a bit for that contract.

BEAT LA
badfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #30
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

That strikes me as a bit odd that Gooden's agent designed the contract on make-good like that. In case the fit isn't right? That somehow sounds pretty pessimistic about Gooden's chances at success here, especially from his agent. I'm not an expert on agents and contracts, but isn't it pretty stupid to turn down a multi-year deal for someone like him? Is there a richer market in free agency for Gooden next summer? A guy who has been on seven teams wants to re-test the market again?

Pretty good article.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 10-02-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:08 PM   #31
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
That strikes me as a bit odd that Gooden's agent designed the contract on make-good like that. In case the fit isn't right? That somehow sounds pretty pessimistic about Gooden's chances at success here, especially from his agent. I'm not an expert on agents and contracts, but isn't it pretty stupid to turn down a multi-year deal for someone like him? Is there a richer market in free agency for Gooden next summer? A guy who has been on seven teams wants to re-test the market again?

Pretty good article.
It is odd that his agent wants to test the market next summer, when so many players much, much better than him are going to be on the market. Doesn't make any sense.

I'm more concerned about the notion that Cubes was willing to give him a multi-year contract. It's hard to draw a conclusion without knowing the potential dollar figures, but I'm certainly elated that we didn't sign him to anything longer than a year.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 10-02-2009, 11:13 AM   #32
joemoeschmoe

joemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to all

Gooden is a huge X factor here.

I loved it when he was out on the floor against us in the SA series -- he really killed their offense and wasn't hot on D. They shoulda just put Oberto out there.

On the other hand, I do remember a time when I watched him play and thought he was "solid with the occasional high quality play." If he could give us this, then we'll be good. I hoping for it, but expecting more like "solid with semi-frequent bonehead plays."
joemoeschmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:18 AM   #33
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by craggmac View Post
Uh oh, not a good sign!
Drew Gooden's overbite and small chin make him look like a Simpsons character...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 10-02-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:57 AM   #34
sefant77
Guru

Well, u have to admit he arrived in SA midseason. Here he has a full camp and weeks of preparing so i hope he fit in way better than he did in SA.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:02 PM   #35
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Drew Gooden's overbite and small chin make him look like a Simpsons character...

I dunno... it's possible, but something's off.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:05 PM   #36
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

All this Drew Gooden talk is making me nauseated.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:39 PM   #37
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
All this Drew Gooden talk is making me nauseated.
All I know is that I didn't have blood in my urine before Gooden was acquired.. now I do.

You fill in the blanks..
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:29 PM   #38
mavErika
Golden Member

mavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant future

carlisle now on espn radio:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/...station=dallas

training camp day four:

http://friends.mavs.com/forum/topics...ing-camp-day-4

Last edited by mavErika; 10-02-2009 at 08:30 PM.
mavErika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:55 PM   #39
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Marion threw down a ridiculous one-handed alley-oop late in the scrimmage during Fan Jam tonight. Just ridiculous.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 10-02-2009, 09:02 PM   #40
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Marion threw down a ridiculous one-handed alley-oop late in the scrimmage during Fan Jam tonight. Just ridiculous.
Wow! Really? Who gave the assist? Kidd? Dirk? Jet?

I am so excited!

Tags
by zeus's beard!, flaco's purple nipples, general douchebaggery, switchatelligence